Luka
C Mac
Joe W
Joe T
CJ

Bench (regular rotation)

At least one of Nunge or Ogs providing a few minutes of rest for Luka
P Mac
Jordan (as basically a third starter based on minutes)

Basically an 8 man rotation in regular minutes.

Lethal on offense but where does the defensive rebounding come from?
I think Wieskamp takes a step forward in terms of rebounding this next year, but yeah I could see the Hawks going back to starting Nunge at the 4 for that reason... although I like Jack backing up Luka while spending some time at the 4 as well

Lethal on offense but where does the defensive rebounding come from?

Luka-Garza-Brian-Ray.png

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Ogundele should be able to give a boost in defensive boards off the bench. 6'11", 275 lbs and 6'11" wingspan should be able to produce some boards.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
Didn't Nunge shoot well from outside as a frosh? Or am I misremembering? If he can shoot some threes, he could certainly rebound better than Connor. Maybe he plays when the opponents have a big and or athletic 4????
Edit: Just looked it up - he redshirted freshman year and played 6 last year (during which he shot 21% from three). Don't know why I thought he shot well....

Did anyone think we would ever have this kind of depth, talent, offensive firepower, cohesion and coaching during the Lickliter years? Holy crud, the future looks very bright for the Hawkeyes.

Luka inside. Whenever he can be, I think we saw last year what he can do. The dude isn't human, never seems to get tired.

I'd like to see Nunge as a starter beside Luka when we are playing taller teams. He is a good rebounder/shot blocker and can pick and pop.

I'd like to see CMac when we are playing shorter teams who like to run.

I'd like to see PMac when we are playing longer teams that aren't a physical as he could present a mobile offensive and defensive presence with his height and lateral mobility.

I'd like to see the Murray twins out there getting experience over the next 2 years because they are going to be counted on a lot going into their junior years.

I hope that Joe plays the 3 most of the time. He is the best combination rebounder/slasher/outside shooter on the team, and he knows how to play defense.

I like CJ and JoBo at the 2. Both are deadly shooters and will have teams' heads on a swivel. I hope to see TP coming off the bench to add a little more athleticism and defensive focus at times.

I like Joe T at the point, with Ahron spelling him off the bench

I hope that Big O red shirts and takes a year to let the game come to him. Barring injury, he doesn't need to play and could use a year to watch games from the bench and learn in practice.

Reactions: SDHN2013
Luka inside. Whenever he can be, I think we saw last year what he can do. The dude isn't human, never seems to get tired.

I'd like to see Nunge as a starter beside Luka when we are playing taller teams. He is a good rebounder/shot blocker and can pick and pop.

I'd like to see CMac when we are playing shorter teams who like to run.

I'd like to see PMac when we are playing longer teams that aren't a physical as he could present a mobile offensive and defensive presence with his height and lateral mobility.

I'd like to see the Murray twins out there getting experience over the next 2 years because they are going to be counted on a lot going into their junior years.

I hope that Joe plays the 3 most of the time. He is the best combination rebounder/slasher/outside shooter on the team, and he knows how to play defense.

I like CJ and JoBo at the 2. Both are deadly shooters and will have teams' heads on a swivel. I hope to see TP coming off the bench to add a little more athleticism and defensive focus at times.

I like Joe T at the point, with Ahron spelling him off the bench

I hope that Big O red shirts and takes a year to let the game come to him. Barring injury, he doesn't need to play and could use a year to watch games from the bench and learn in practice.

I dont see any value in changing the starting lineup based on what our opponent trots out there.

Didn't Nunge shoot well from outside as a frosh? Or am I misremembering? If he can shoot some threes, he could certainly rebound better than Connor. Maybe he plays when the opponents have a big and or athletic 4????
Edit: Just looked it up - he redshirted freshman year and played 6 last year (during which he shot 21% from three). Don't know why I thought he shot well....

He took a redshirt between his freshman and sophomore seasons and then missed most of his sophomore season with a knee injury.

He shot 33% from 3 point range his freshman season on almost 2 attempts per game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jack-nunge-1.html

Reactions: iahawks10

Nunge RS after his FR year (Soph) - was injured in his third year. He played 33 games as a true FR. Shot 33%.

I dont see any value in changing the starting lineup based on what our opponent trots out there.
I didn't say that. I said I'd like to see Nunge start. The others are for adapting to what is going on in the game. I think every good coach needs to adapt as the game goes along.

I'd like to see Garza decrease his MPG by 5-7 minutes. With that, we would see a strong correlation to his FT % and constant dominance. If so, I see Ogundele giving us those minutes. He's like big body that can compete with other Big 10 post players and we're going to count on his experience going forward.

I'd like to see Garza decrease his MPG by 5-7 minutes. With that, we would see a strong correlation to his FT % and constant dominance. If so, I see Ogundele giving us those minutes.

I don't think Ogundele will give Iowa any minutes next year unless Garza leaves.

Reactions: BBHawk
I think he is a good shooter but it’s probably a bit of a confidence thing. I know that prior to this last season I was calling for both Kriener and Garza to drastically reduce the amount of threes they took after Garza shot 29% and Kriener 33% the year prior. Garza, at least, gave me a big FU

I think Wieskamp takes a step forward in terms of rebounding this next year, but yeah I could see the Hawks going back to starting Nunge at the 4 for that reason... although I like Jack backing up Luka while spending some time at the 4 as well
I agree 100% about Wieskamp's rebounding. That was the area he improved the most this year along with his aggressiveness getting to the rim. A lot of people have overlooked the improvements he made because his shot left him towards the end of the season but I'm chalking that up to a Sophomore slump more than anything. I expect his shooting to get back on track next season especially with the amount of quality options we have in the backcourt. Should allow him to get some more open looks

LG
JN
JW
CJ
CM

LG
JW
CJ
JB
JT

JB
JW
CJ
CM
JT
Have JB guard their big that's always fun to watch

Did anyone think we would ever have this kind of depth, talent, offensive firepower, cohesion and coaching during the Lickliter years? Holy crud, the future looks very bright for the Hawkeyes.

giphy.gif

I think the only thing you can do is zone it or don't guard Conner and double Luka. I think you still get killed, though.

Connor improved his shooting range last year and I'm betting it improves this next year, as well. If he does and develops a bit more slash/drive, he's going to be a weapon, not just the assist guy.

Can’t wait to see what I believe will be the starting lineup:

Bohannon
Fredrick
Wieskamp
C McCaffery
Garza

How do you guard that?

That's the likely starters, however, I could also see Jack Nunge getting the nod against bigger teams, with either CMac, CJ or possibly JBO coming in as a 6 or 7. Don't sleep on PMac getting healthy and cracking the lineup. :)

Connor improved his shooting range last year and I'm betting it improves this next year, as well. If he does and develops a bit more slash/drive, he's going to be a weapon, not just the assist guy.

I think Connor improves his 3 point percentage again. When teams have to play him out at the 3 pt line it obviously opens everything else up. I hate to use this analogy, but he is a Wisconsin type player, with an even better understanding of how the teams offense works best and how he can facilitate that. I don't remember what percentage he shot this last year but if he can get that north of 35% (37-38% would be great) that would be good for this team.

Connor doesn't have baseball this season and he has a basketball court at home, so I would think that he'd be getting up lots of shots between now and the fall. Repetition is a great way to improve your shot!

Reactions: Sheahawk
I think Connor improves his 3 point percentage again. When teams have to play him out at the 3 pt line it obviously opens everything else up. I hate to use this analogy, but he is a Wisconsin type player, with an even better understanding of how the teams offense works best and how he can facilitate that. I don't remember what percentage he shot this last year but if he can get that north of 35% (37-38% would be great) that would be good for this team.

He improved to 34% last year from 21% his first year. He's getting into the range where people would have to guard him out at the line, which would be a big benefit and would make him more effective as a passer.

JBo - 20 min, Joe T - 15 min, Ulis - 5 min,
CJF - 25 min, JBo - 10 min, Ulis - 5 min
JW - 30 min, PMac 5 min, Perkins - 5 min
CMac - 25 min, Nunge 10 min, PMac - 5 min
Luka - 30, Nunge 10

Both Murrays and Big O redshirt unless injury

Best O Line-up: JBo, CJF, JW, Pmac, Luka

Best D Line-up: Joe T, Ulis, Perkins, Cmac, Nunge

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Bohannon - 30 min
Fredrick - 30
Wieskamp - 30