ADVERTISEMENT

Linn County seeks new county logo design

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
AR-171009976.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=798

The current Linn County logo is getting a redesign, with design submissions being accepted Monday through Nov. 15. (Linn County)

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:00 pm | Print View
CEDAR RAPIDS — Linn County officials are calling on local artists to design a new county logo.

Artists can begin making submissions today for the Linn County logo redesign challenge, which aims to replace the county’s current, roughly 20-year-old, logo.

“It’s just time to refresh,” said Supervisor Brent Oleson, who first proposed the idea of seeking a new logo earlier this year during the State of Linn County luncheon in April.

“It’s just something to be more proud of our heritage, something that encapsulates that a whole lot better,” Oleson added.

Linn County’s current logo — hills, trees and a river with the Cedar Rapids skyline in the background — has been used by the county since the 1990s.

Not all of the Linn County supervisors think a new logo is necessary.

The supervisors split 3-2 in a May vote on pursuing a logo redesign, with Supervisors Jim Houser and John Harris opposed.

Harris said he likes the current logo, while Houser was more critical, calling the process “unnecessary spending.”

“I personally am not in favor of changing the logo,” Houser said at that meeting. “I don’t see anything personally wrong with our current logo, and I think it’s an added expense that we don’t need at this present time.”

Oleson argued the costs are minimal.

The chosen artist or company will receive $2,500 in compensation, and the new logo can be easily placed on letterhead and on county vehicles during transitions to new fleet vehicles.

“Things like that will change as we cycle through them,” Oleson said.

As for the logo redesign, submissions will be accepted only from Linn County residents or companies, with only one submission per person or company.

An information packet can be downloaded at the Linn County website — linncounty.org/LogoRedesign. Designs can be submitted online or by email.

The county is looking for a companion county seal that will incorporate the year 1839, the year the county was established.

Design submissions will be accepted through Nov. 15.

The final design will be selected in early 2018.

Oleson said it’s not been determined if the county supervisors or a larger community committee will choose the winning design.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...-county-seeks-new-county-logo-design-20171001

AR-171009976.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=798

The current Linn County logo is getting a redesign, with design submissions being accepted Monday through Nov. 15. (Linn County)

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:00 pm | Print View
CEDAR RAPIDS — Linn County officials are calling on local artists to design a new county logo.

Artists can begin making submissions today for the Linn County logo redesign challenge, which aims to replace the county’s current, roughly 20-year-old, logo.

“It’s just time to refresh,” said Supervisor Brent Oleson, who first proposed the idea of seeking a new logo earlier this year during the State of Linn County luncheon in April.

“It’s just something to be more proud of our heritage, something that encapsulates that a whole lot better,” Oleson added.

Linn County’s current logo — hills, trees and a river with the Cedar Rapids skyline in the background — has been used by the county since the 1990s.

Not all of the Linn County supervisors think a new logo is necessary.

The supervisors split 3-2 in a May vote on pursuing a logo redesign, with Supervisors Jim Houser and John Harris opposed.

Harris said he likes the current logo, while Houser was more critical, calling the process “unnecessary spending.”

“I personally am not in favor of changing the logo,” Houser said at that meeting. “I don’t see anything personally wrong with our current logo, and I think it’s an added expense that we don’t need at this present time.”

Oleson argued the costs are minimal.

The chosen artist or company will receive $2,500 in compensation, and the new logo can be easily placed on letterhead and on county vehicles during transitions to new fleet vehicles.

“Things like that will change as we cycle through them,” Oleson said.

As for the logo redesign, submissions will be accepted only from Linn County residents or companies, with only one submission per person or company.

An information packet can be downloaded at the Linn County website — linncounty.org/LogoRedesign. Designs can be submitted online or by email.

The county is looking for a companion county seal that will incorporate the year 1839, the year the county was established.

Design submissions will be accepted through Nov. 15.

The final design will be selected in early 2018.

Oleson said it’s not been determined if the county supervisors or a larger community committee will choose the winning design.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...-county-seeks-new-county-logo-design-20171001

The Linn County flag is one of the best local government flags I've ever seen. Just use that...

Linn_co_ia_flag.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT