ADVERTISEMENT

Linn Mar athletics ban IC school parents

I hated everything Linn-Mar until I started playing in summer baseball leagues and tournaments with kids from their elementary and middle schools. I ended up making some of the best friends I’ve ever had. It’s a great school with resources galore. There are deep pockets. Those are attributes that outsiders always hate. It’s sure fun to be a part of though!

I went to Marion HS in the late 70's. Linn Mar kids were all thought to be spoiled asses. Marion was old school "Old Marion"...Linn Mar was the cross town upstart rich bitch Collins kids.

As I began working 1978 and after, and meeting them, I discovered it was not true as a rule. My now lifelong friends I still keep in regular touch with...all Linn Mar graduates.

I hated everything Linn-Mar until I started playing in summer baseball leagues and tournaments with kids from their elementary and middle schools. I ended up making some of the best friends I’ve ever had. It’s a great school with resources galore. There are deep pockets. Those are attributes that outsiders always hate. It’s sure fun to be a part of though!
I'm always amazed that they aren't better at football. Like you said, tons of resources and one of the largest high schools in Iowa. Yet rarely are they ever better than mediocre.

I'm always amazed that they aren't better at football. Like you said, tons of resources and one of the largest high schools in Iowa. Yet rarely are they ever better than mediocre.

Just a FWIW...they were at one time quite good, early to mid '90's I think. They won at least one state title, I think at least 2. (One of my friends had kids on those teams.)

Reactions: srams21
Just a FWIW...they were at one time quite good, early to mid '90's I think. They won at least one state title, I think at least 2. (One of my friends had kids on those teams.)
Yep. They won the state title in '85, '89, and '90.

However, it amazes me they aren't a better program given they have almost everything needed to succeed. They pull from a middle to upper middle class suburban area. They have tons of resources. They were the fifth largest high school in Iowa as of 2019 (might be higher now).

Typically the formula for long term success in 4A football has been large enrollment + suburban population + resources + money = success. They have all the ingredients but have fallen short these last couple decades for some reason.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan

However, it amazes me they aren't a better program given they have almost everything needed to succeed. They pull from a middle to upper middle class suburban area. They have tons of resources. They were the fifth largest high school in Iowa as of 2019 (might be higher now).

Typically the formula for long term success in 4A football has been large enrollment + suburban population + resources + money = success. They have all the ingredients but have fallen short these last couple decades for some reason.

Wouldn’t a strong organized feeder program be important?

Agreed. ^^

Offspring of computer techs and engineers don't tend to be your ideal football types.

ADVERTISEMENT