ADVERTISEMENT

Linn-Mar students express ‘sadness’ at law banning transgender girls from sports

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
MARION — Koda Vratney, a transgender boy in the Linn-Mar Community School District, said he feels “sheer sadness” in response to a new Iowa law that bans transgender girls from competing in women’s sports.

Koda, 14, made the decision to be home-schooled this year after feeling unsafe at Linn-Mar High School because of his gender identity. He felt dehumanized, he said.

“I will always fight for myself,” Koda said.

Advertisment

But at a rally Friday at Linn-Mar High School to protest the law, Koda felt safe.

About 30 students showed up after school Friday in opposition to House File 2316, a bill banning transgender girls and women in Iowa from competing in sports according to their gender identity that was signed into law by Gov. Kim Reynolds last month.

Regulations proposed by the Education Department could make discrimination against transgender students a violation of federal civil rights law, creating opposition with the new Iowa state law.

Title IX bars discrimination on the basis of sex in education. The new rules — expected to be finalized this month — adds language to make it clear discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity is included in this law.

Many Eastern Iowa school boards have passed resolutions in opposition to the law, including Cedar Rapids, Iowa City and Linn-Mar.

The students led a call to action Friday, each one going to Kim Reynold’s Instagram page — a social media platform — to message her “We’re here, we’re queer — get used to it.”

Lucie Scott, 16, a sophomore at Linn-Mar High School, said it’s important for her to stand up for her beliefs.

“I was made this way,” said Scott, who describe herself as a queer woman.

Scott said it is hard to put in to words how the new Iowa law affects her as a member of the LGBTQ community, even though she isn’t a transgender girl.

A national survey last year by The Trevor Project, a suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ people, on LGBTQ youth mental health found:

• 42 percent of LGBTQ youth seriously considered attempting suicide in the past year, including more than half of transgender and nonbinary youth.
  • 94 percent of LGBTQ youth reported that recent politics negatively impacted their mental health.
  • 75 percent of LGBTQ youth reported that they had experienced discrimination based on their sexual orientation or gender identity at least once in their lifetime.
  • Half of all LGBTQ youth of color reported discrimination based on their race/ethnicity in the past year, including 67 percent of Black LGBTQ youth and 60 percent of Asian/Pacific Islander LGBTQ youth.
  • LGBTQ youth who had access to spaces that affirmed their sexual orientation and gender identity reported lower rates of attempting suicide.

Iowa is not the only state to propose laws restricting the rights of people in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community.

The governor of Florida signed in to law this week the “Don’t Say Gay” law, which limits instruction or classroom discussion about lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer issues.

The governor of Texas wants hormone therapy for transgender kids to be classified as child abuse. The Texas Legislature tried to ban transgender kids from accessing puberty blockers, hormone therapy and gender-affirming surgeries. Two bills died in the 2021 legislative session.

These laws and proposed bills are harming the mental health of children in the LGBTQ community, the Linn-Mar students say.

The LGBTQ Iowa Archives & Library is celebrating Transgender Day of Visibility at 3 p.m. Saturday, April 2, on the PS1 Close House lawn, 538 S. Gilbert St., Iowa City.

Transgender Day of Visibility is a celebration of the accomplishments and diversity of the transgender community, a recognition of the challenges they face, helps bring awareness to anti-transgender hate crimes, and honors of the memories of those hurt and killed by anti-transgender violence each year.

Participants are encouraged to bring signs, flags representing the LGBTQ community and their voices to speak out for transgender lives, particularly transgender girls in Iowa.

I think it’s ridiculous that republicans are spending legislative time and energy on shit like this. It’s beyond stupid.

I also thinks it’s ridiculous that you can’t with your own two eyes see that a physiological boy should not be allowed to compete against physiological girls just because they identify a certain way.

Am I woke because I think the R’s are idiots? Am I a bigot because I don’t like the idea of trans encroaching in girls sports until the science is settled and standards set? I’m so confused!

star-wars-jar-jar-binks.gif

I think it’s ridiculous that republicans are spending legislative time and energy on shit like this. It’s beyond stupid.

I also thinks it’s ridiculous that you can’t with your own two eyes see that a physiological boy should not be allowed to compete against physiological girls just because they identify a certain way.

Am I woke because I think the R’s are idiots? Am I a bigot because I don’t like the idea of trans encroaching in girls sports until the science is settled and standards set? I’m so confused!

Well, what are you trying to say?

This is 100% where I’m at. I do not believe a biological male should compete with girls, and have no problem with the law protecting girls’ sports. But some of this other stuff—like “Don’t Say Gay”—is absolutely ridiculous.

I miss the days when Rs were supposedly about limited government and staying out of people’s lives. Jeezus. What we used to label as the “Republican Sex Police” has devolved into a cesspool of bigotry and abject stupidity. I don’t see how any sane person—who isn’t a backwoods modern-day Pharisee—can’t see this stupid shit for what it is.

Reactions: the24fan
Title IX, the landmark ruling for girls and women in sports, soon to work against them.

Who could have imagined a fraction of this craziness, other than a few crazies themselves ...

Reactions: Hawkdiver
NOOOOOOOO!!! IT'S TEAM RED OR BLUE ONLY!!!! MUST STICK TO TALKING POINTS SPOON FED TO ME BY FOX OR MSNBC!!!!! MUST BERATE OTHERS NOT OF LIKE MIND!!!!!
You're post while meant to be funny is not far from the truth. It's a sad state, but it's reality.

He’s trying to say there is a need for diversity of thought appropriately applied to this topic. I know, a foreign concept. 😆
How much diversity do you have to apply to biological fact? Now the mental illness aspect of it needs a lot of attention

You're post while meant to be funny is not far from the truth. It's a sad state, but it's reality.

When I'm in Iowa City partaking in an overpriced craft beer on St. Burch's patio on a fine summer afternoon, the chardonnay sipping libs I'm usually with think I'm a degenerate republican.

When I'm in Hills downing an ice cold Bud at 218 Tap with John Wayne movies playing in the background on Turner Movie Classics, the old boys around the horseshoe bar think I'm a flaming liberal.

These situations show me I'm right where I need to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkbiz
This is 100% where I’m at. I do not believe a biological male should compete with girls, and have no problem with the law protecting girls’ sports. But some of this other stuff—like “Don’t Say Gay”—is absolutely ridiculous.

I miss the days when Rs were supposedly about limited government and staying out of people’s lives. Jeezus. What we used to label as the “Republican Sex Police” has devolved into a cesspool of bigotry and abject stupidity. I don’t see how any sane person—who isn’t a backwoods modern-day Pharisee—can’t see this stupid shit for what it is.

Where in the law does it say "Don't say gay"?

Most of your posts are nothing more than incoherent rants. See above.

I'll ask again.

Where in the law does it say "Don't say gay"?

People can identify as they please. But, in the world of competitive sports, biology needs to rule the day. That’s the only way the playing field can remain fair across the board.

Reactions: HugeEddie
I still cannot figure out why we’re calling girls athletics “sports”.

And why anyone cares about what goes on in these “sports”.

Do they still play the baseball game with the big ball and underhand pitching? Man, I swear, I thought that was a practical joke the first time I saw it. Most of those players also kinda looked like dudes anyways

I still cannot figure out why we’re calling girls athletics “sports”.

And why anyone cares about what goes on in these “sports”.

Do they still play the baseball game with the big ball and underhand pitching? Man, I swear, I thought that was a practical joke the first time I saw it. Most of those players also kinda looked like dudes anyways

You're trying way too hard.

Poor effort.

I don’t know much about it, as I don’t live in Florida and it’s been nearly a decade since I visited. However I think proponents came up with the name “Don’t say Gay”.
It's a ridiculous bill that empowers parents, many of whom are complete dumbasses to begin with, to sue with impunity if they get a bur up their butt. And guess who will pay for these lawsuits?

The bill targets K-3 education, which is ridiculous because sex education is banned at that age in Florida anyway. There is no practical purpose for the bill, and it causes way more confusion than anything it solves. And, as previously mentioned, it empowers stupid people at the expense of school budgets and tax payers.

It's a ridiculous bill that empowers parents, many of whom are complete dumbasses to begin with, to sue with impunity if they get a bur up their butt. And guess who will pay for these lawsuits?

The bill targets K-3 education, which is ridiculous because sex education is banned at that age in Florida anyway. There is no practical purpose for the bill, and it causes way more confusion than anything it solves. And, as previously mentioned, it empowers stupid people at the expense of school budgets and tax payers.

Very crazy that parents would be empowered over their own children. What exactly should parents have a say over when it comes to their kids?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkman34
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT