ADVERTISEMENT

Lionel Messi to Miami Internacional of MLS?

Menace Sockeyes

HR Legend
Sep 2, 2010
It’s looking increasingly likely. The condo purchase was made hours after the news of interest broke from a pretty reliable Argentine journalist...

Tons of reasons Messi might want to have a badass pad in Miami.

He’s still close to the peak of his powers. He’s got 2-3 years left in Europe, IMO. I’d bet on City if I had to, assuming he moves at all.

Tons of reasons Messi might want to have a badass pad in Miami.

He’s still close to the peak of his powers. He’s got 2-3 years left in Europe, IMO. I’d bet on City if I had to, assuming he moves at all.
But honest question to really think about: Why would he want to stay in Europe?

But honest question to really think about: Why would he want to stay in Europe?
Really? Not sure if you're serious. He's not some chump looking for a payday.

He wants to play against the best. He wants to win Champions Leagues. What upside could he possibly see in moving to the US, other than to do a farewell tour?

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Really? Not sure if you're serious. He's not some chump looking for a payday.

He wants to play against the best. He wants to win Champions Leagues. What upside could he possibly see in moving to the US, other than to do a farewell tour?

Um, happiness? Enjoying the game again? Playing with a few of the best players in the world as well, including a World Cup Champion? He’s won the Champions League four times. He’s never won an MLS title or CONCACAF Champions League. I think at this point a change of scenery and new challenges would be appealing. Many have even seen an uptick in their international form after joining MLS. Most notably Julio Cesar carrying a not great Brazil side on his back to the semis of 2014.

Um, happiness? Enjoying the game again? Playing with a few of the best players in the world as well, including a World Cup Champion? He’s won the Champions League four times. He’s never won an MLS title or CONCACAF Champions League.
You don't think he'd rather play tiki-taka w/Kevin De Bruyne and Phil Foden?

I love your posts. You're a really solid contributor to the soccer thread. I'm sort of shocked you see it this way though.

He's playing for the status of the greatest player in history.

The greatest player in history doesn't go to the MLS when there's still plenty of gas in the tank.

You don't think he'd rather play tiki-taka w/Kevin De Bruyne and Phil Foden?

I love your posts. You're a really solid contributor to the soccer thread. I'm sort of shocked you see it this way though.

He's playing for the status of the greatest player in history.

The greatest player in history doesn't go to the MLS when there's still plenty of gas in the tank.
I’m kind of shocked that you have such a myopic view of what a great player would want and need. Many Europeans from the NASL to MLS have said it was the best decision they made.

I just want to give you an idea of the condo he bought. The average net worth of a unit owner is $700 million. He must have bought a lower floor unit.
The wealthy folks live in Sunny Isles and Aventura

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I just want to give you an idea of the condo he bought. The average net worth of a unit owner is $700 million. He must have bought a lower floor unit.
The wealthy folks live in Sunny Isles and Aventura

According to the report, Messi's contract, which was signed in November 2017 and runs until June 30 this year, could have seen the star forward earn $167 million a season including bonuses. The written agreement also reportedly includes an image rights contract.

El Mundo also reports that Messi received a "renewal fee" of $139 million for accepting the contract and a $94 million loyalty bonus.
"The club regrets [the contract's] publication given that it is a private document governed by the principle of confidentiality between the parties," said a statement from Barcelona.

I think he fits in there.

Well then we're both shocked. LOL

🤷‍♂️
Pele could have signed for any club in the world in 1974, one cycle removed from the greatest international performance ever. Did the NY Cosmos hurt his legacy? Probably enhanced it, actually. Not to mention the American market is big $$$.

He wants to move to the US to be reunited with his long-lost older brother.

muschampmessi.jpg

Pele could have signed for any club in the world in 1974, one cycle removed from the greatest international performance ever. Did the NY Cosmos hurt his legacy? Probably enhanced it, actually. Not to mention the American market is big $$$.
Football is a vastly different game now. It's truly global. Moving to the US was a novelty and a cash grab for Pele. I don't begrudge him for it. But the world is so different now. Everyone can see every match in every league on TV. There's no upside to coming to the US, and it will definitely hurt his legacy (if he comes now). Come when you're 37-38 and out of gas, Leo. Don't do it now.

Football is a vastly different game now. It's truly global. Moving to the US was a novelty and a cash grab for Pele. I don't begrudge him for it. But the world is so different now. Everyone can see every match in every league on TV. There's no upside to coming to the US, and it will definitely hurt his legacy (if he comes now). Come when you're 37-38 and out of gas, Leo. Don't do it now.
With all due respect, that’s ridiculous. There’s tons of upside both for his game, his lifestyle, and his passion for the game. It’s not 1998 anymore. We don’t have to worship at Europe’s feet anymore. Miami “Messi” jerseys will make bank in an even greater American soccer market. Beckham’s contract has made him, with his bargain basement price for a franchise, incredibly more wealthy. Do it, Leo!

With all due respect, that’s ridiculous. There’s tons of upside both for his game, his lifestyle, and his passion for the game. It’s not 1998 anymore. We don’t have to worship at Europe’s feet anymore. The gap is closing fast. Do it, Leo!
Gotcha. I see now. You're an MLS fan. I didn't realize that. More power to you. I just haven't made that leap yet. I'd love to...and someday I will...but I'm just not there yet.

Gotcha. I see now. You're an MLS fan. I didn't realize that. More power to you. I just haven't made that leap yet. I'd love to...and someday I will...but I'm just not there yet.
And my additions above make it even more relevant. It didn’t hurt Beckham, it didn’t hurt Zlatan, it didn’t hurt Svensson, it didn’t hurt Vela (Mexico’s best WC player in 2018), etc. Look at Beckham’s wealth and his lifestyle now. Still prefers living here. There’s more to the game than playing for a blue blood. Playing with Pizarro, Higuain, Matuidi, etc. is going to be BAD? I don’t get the Euro-snobbery at this point. Especially when it’s a guy like Messi whose got nothing to prove to anyone anymore. It would be exciting and it would be great for the game in this country/region. CONCACAF is probably on its greatest ascension

And my additions above make it even more relevant. It didn’t hurt Beckham, it didn’t hurt Zlatan, it didn’t hurt Svensson, it didn’t hurt Vela (Mexico’s best WC player in 2018), etc. Look at Beckham’s wealth and his lifestyle now. Still prefers living here. There’s more to the game than playing for a blue blood. Playing with Pizarro, Higuain, Matuidi, etc. is going to be BAD? I don’t get the Euro-snobbery at this point. Especially when it’s a guy like Messi whose got nothing to prove to anyone anymore. It would be exciting and it would be great for the game in this country/region. CONCACAF is probably on its greatest ascension
I don't agree with almost anything you said in the above post, but I don't want to argue. You're a great poster and your takes are 99% right on in my book. It's ok if we don't see this one the same way.

Will he be under a new contract? Because I don't know how Inter Miami could afford the current one.
It’s MLS. Miami will find a way to make a trade or two for some MLS funny money (bye, Nguyen and/or Pellegrini), pay down Pizarro’s contract, and voila: a designated player slot is open.

I don't really know how the trade/transfer/loan system works but doesn't Messi get paid $30+ million a year? Miami can afford that and still have other players on the field?

Reactions: silasstarr
I don't really know how the trade/transfer/loan system works but doesn't Messi get paid $30+ million a year? Miami can afford that and still have other players on the field?
Co-owner Masayoshi Son is worth $22.5 BILLION alone. The Mas brothers at $1 billion, and Beckham at half a billion dollars round out ownership. They won’t have one bit of a problem with $30 million for a player with that level of on and off the field impact. The uptick in global rights fees, tours, and jersey sales would nearly pay for that alone.

Co-owner Masayoshi Son is worth $22.5 BILLION alone. The Mas brothers at $1 billion, and Beckham at half a billion dollars round out ownership. They won’t have one bit of a problem with $30 million for a player of that on and off the field impact.
Maybe. Or they could be like the Ricketts and have billions that they won't spend on players. I don't know, maybe they will.

Co-owner Masayoshi Son is worth $22.5 BILLION alone. The Mas brothers at $1 billion, and Beckham at half a billion dollars round out ownership. They won’t have one bit of a problem with $30 million for a player with that level of on and off the field impact. The uptick in global rights fees, tours, and jersey sales would nearly pay for that alone.
You could be right but just because you are wealthy doesn’t mean you wrongfully invest your money.

As discussed above, Miami could easily match any Barcelona offer. Especially with Adidas incentivizing the deal with greater sponsorship dollars as they did with Beckham. Remember, MLS is an exclusively Adidas league and Barcelona is Nike. It’s a big incentive for them to push their main brand ambassador towards the deal.

As discussed above, Miami could easily match any Barcelona offer. Especially with Adidas incentivizing the deal with greater sponsorship dollars as they did with Beckham. Remember, MLS is an exclusively Adidas league and Barcelona is Nike. It’s a big incentive for them to push their main brand ambassador towards the deal.
I didn’t know MLS was an Adidas league. I suppose that might compensate the salary but the numbers still need to be beneficial to both parties.

I'm not buying Messi to the MLS for a minute.

This story is nuts. Where does he end up?!

If his contract is up he can pick and choose. It would be a free Transfer.

I'd want him at Chelsea but he'd push Pulisic even further down the depth chart.

If he's not at Chelsea than I certainly hope he stays out of the EPL.

If he goes to Man City they will win everything.

Last edited:
It's crazy to me that he'd leave Barca high and dry, on a free. Their stories, Barca's and Messi's, are inseparable.

At least sign the biggest contract that Barca CAN offer you now, and then let Barca capture a huge transfer fee when they sell you on.

We'll see I guess.

It's crazy to me that he'd leave Barca high and dry, on a free. Their stories, Barca's and Messi's, are inseparable.

At least sign the biggest contract that Barca CAN offer you now, and then let Barca capture a huge transfer fee when they sell you on.

We'll see I guess.

If he goes to Man City they will win everything.

This episode of "The Champions" is becoming a reality.

City have the money and need a striker to replace Aguero. I hope it happens. Would be fun to watch.

Um, happiness? Enjoying the game again? Playing with a few of the best players in the world as well, including a World Cup Champion? He’s won the Champions League four times. He’s never won an MLS title or CONCACAF Champions League. I think at this point a change of scenery and new challenges would be appealing. Many have even seen an uptick in their international form after joining MLS. Most notably Julio Cesar carrying a not great Brazil side on his back to the semis of 2014.
you think one of the best players ever looks at their bucket list and says, you know, I've won the Champions League, I've won six Ballon d'Or trophies, 10 La Liga titles but my career won't be complete until I snag that MLS title and compete for the CONCACAF champions league? He may go to Miami for a variety of reasons but to win the MLS Cup isn't one of them.

Also, its pretty funny to suggest 'many' players improve their international form after joining MLS, you might be the only person I've heard make that claim. Isn't it the exact opposite generally speaking?

Reactions: littlez

We'll see I guess.

Barcelona screwed Messi over last year when he wanted to leave. I doubt he wants to do them any favors on the way out the door.

City have the money and need a striker to replace Aguero. I hope it happens. Would be fun to watch.

Not for me. City would win everything. I hope he stays away from City.

Of course if he goes to PSG or Bayern Munich they would probably win everything too.

Messi can play kingmaker here and basically decide who the next winner of the Champions League will be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT