ADVERTISEMENT

Liquor Shortage in Michigan this Thanksgiving

The county I lived in there still had blue laws, even through the '90s.

Pssh the state I live in has blue laws NOW. Can't buy alcohol on Sunday in Indiana.

Edit: My mistake apparently that was repealed effective March of last year. But only between the hours of noon and 8 pm. So can't buy it Sunday morning or Sunday night.

Last edited:
Ts & Ps to our friends Michigan who have to watch crappy football and ration their booze.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/mi...xLTvNEHdYFn7W3_zDuJvrcRrYcXSrI1NdtExtiG7fjCWk

See you in Indiana.

mrw-my-wife-sends-me-a-text-that-reads-you-better-get-home-before-im-too-tired-to-give-you-a-blowjob-148989.gif

Reactions: Run&Blade
Pssh the state I live in has blue laws NOW. Can't buy alcohol on Sunday in Indiana.

Edit: My mistake apparently that was repealed effective March of last year. But only between the hours of noon and 8 pm. So can't buy it Sunday morning or Sunday night.

We just go liquor stores in my county this year. We used to have to join a club to drink at certain restaurants inside the city lines. Still not booze sold before noon on Sundays. Once of bigger culture shocks of leaving Texas is finding hard liquor being sold in grocery stores and gas stations.

Reactions: jasonrann

I remember this after the Iowa-MSU championship game in 2015. On the way home Sunday morning, we had to wait until we got into Illinois to get beers for the road. It was a long wait.

It's annoying encountering the various booze laws when traveling. No booze on Sunday, no booze in grocery stores, no booze in gas stations, no booze in pharmacies. No booze before X, no booze after Y, only beer, no liquor.

...limited selection because the state is the distributor.

We just go liquor stores in my county this year. We used to have to join a club to drink at certain restaurants inside the city lines. Still not booze sold before noon on Sundays. Once of bigger culture shocks of leaving Texas is finding hard liquor being sold in grocery stores and gas stations.

yeah even we sell hard liquor in the grocery stores. I don't know how much it's sold in gas stations, but I've never really looked.

The most annoying blue law that we have though honestly is that Indiana doesn't permit auto sales on Sundays. So if you are looking for a car one of the two days off you have that week you can't do anything other than go onto the lot and look inside them.

If this hits the U.P. I'd expect major rioting. They can't function without booze up there.

How the heck are you supposed to drink all day if you can’t start early?

I live in Kansas and there are fugged up laws here too. They finally started selling regular strength beer (instead of 3.2%) in grocery stores, but you still have to go to liquor stores for the hard stuff. They don't open until noon on Sunday and close up early too. At least we can cross the state line into Missouri if we get into a real jam. Damn heathens over there.

Reactions: SigMaintHawk
I live in Kansas and there are fugged up laws here too. They finally started selling regular strength beer (instead of 3.2%) in grocery stores, but you still have to go to liquor stores for the hard stuff. They don't open until noon on Sunday and close up early too. At least we can cross the state line into Missouri if we get into a real jam. Damn heathens over there.

If I remember correctly, you can't buy alcohol anywhere after midnight any day of the week in Kansas, correct? Or am I making that shit up?!

They're a lot more religious and anti-alcohol over by Grand Rapids than in the thumb where I grew up and in southeast Michigan where I went to college and lived as an adult.

I lived in Grand Rapids from '93 to '96 and you're 100% correct. Shit, they go to church TWICE on Sundays!

Edit - Forgot to mention all that religioning takes quite a toll on the ladies. Some of them are FREAKS.

Last edited:

Just call this guy:

shutterstock_5884845e.jpg

The county I lived in there still had blue laws, even through the '90s.

Took a college visit to MSU in the early 90s. Dad said, he wanted to grab a six pack at a gas station since we were going to hang out at the hotel. Guy said he couldn't buy alcohol because it was a dry county. Old man asked where does one get a drink and the guy said next county over. Turns out the next county was something like 10 miles down the road.

My dad was so annoyed he said lets see what going on so we made the drive to Detroit, scalped tickets, and watched a Wings game. Only time I was ever glad dry counties existed.

yeah even we sell hard liquor in the grocery stores. I don't know how much it's sold in gas stations, but I've never really looked.

The most annoying blue law that we have though honestly is that Indiana doesn't permit auto sales on Sundays. So if you are looking for a car one of the two days off you have that week you can't do anything other than go onto the lot and look inside them.
That's a great law. Auto dealerships are terrible places to work and they'd have their staff work 12+ hours on Sundays if it was legal.

That's a great law. Auto dealerships are terrible places to work and they'd have their staff work 12+ hours on Sundays if it was legal.

That is so true, but the real question is shouldn't some business be open when the rest of people work. Dry cleaners, banks, car dealerships. I remember my dad getting pissed that K+K hardware closed on Sunday at noon. He said when were working stiff supposed to be able to fix stuff.

That is so true, but the real question is shouldn't some business be open when the rest of people work. Dry cleaners, banks, car dealerships. I remember my dad getting pissed that K+K hardware closed on Sunday at noon. He said when were working stiff supposed to be able to fix stuff.
There is also no reason for an auto dealership to have you spent 4 hours or more to buy a vehicle. You look, take a test drive, then they have you sit in an office and sweat you while some sales jerk tells you how he's working hard to get you a deal and how the sales manager has "never done this before". BS, I want to buy the car, here's my offer, and I better be driving off the lot in 20 minutes or F off.

Maybe if the dealership didn't F around beating down their customers they'd sell more cars on a Saturday.

Reactions: Irwin Fletcher10

What county is that? Harris, Galveston, Montgomery and Ft. Bend aren't like that... Jefferson?

There is also no reason for an auto dealership to have you spent 4 hours or more to buy a vehicle. You look, take a test drive, then they have you sit in an office and sweat you while some sales jerk tells you how he's working hard to get you a deal and how the sales manager has "never done this before". BS, I want to buy the car, here's my offer, and I better be driving off the lot in 20 minutes or F off.

Maybe if the dealership didn't F around beating down their customers they'd sell more cars on a Saturday.

We should start a dealership together. This the price we need to sell this car, pay our employees, and keep the lights on. You don't like it, you can leave the dealership. I've never understood the car business. I don't go into the grocery store to negotiate food prices or haggle for my TV at Best Buy.

Reactions: Irwin Fletcher10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT