ADVERTISEMENT

List of coaches KF has bounced

JoelBittner

HR MVP
Jun 14, 2010
Okay, okay, a little exaggeration here, but KF has had something to do with a long line of coaches hitting the unemployment line.

Pelini ------- Nebraska actually mentioned Iowa by name when firing him.
Riley -------- Okay, Riley was on his way out, but if Pelini got fired for ALMOST LOSING to Iowa, imagine the conversations behind closed doors after KF beat him 3 straight, 2 of them wood-sheddings.
Paul Rhoads ------ This has more to do with the fact Paul was at least supposed to make Iowa State look respectable next to Iowa. He never did.
Danny Mac ------- KF sent him packing TWICE. As a Cyclone and a Mean Green HC. Maybe if they were the Nice Green program? Nah. 2 games after 62-16 he was gone.
Darrel Hazel ------ 2016 and Iowa puts up 49 points on Purdue. 2 days later he is fired. You don't think his replacement was cognizant of that fact in 2017?
Ron Zook -------- Again, TWICE. Humiliating bowl loss and then being out-recruited by KF.
Tim Brewster ----- Kirk blanked him back-to-back 2008/9. Finishing out 2009 with consecutive losses to the Hawkeyes and Cyclones put him on the hot seat for 2010.
Glen Mason ------ He came into the B1G around the same time as KF. So of course comparisons were made. He came off as second fiddle to Kirk and Minnesota decided they could do better. They were wrong.
Bielema --------- Hear me out. Biels wasn't fired, I know. But Biels felt he should be treated by Wisky the way Iowa treated Kirk. Barry said no and BB found a job elsewhere. Kirk was on a pedestal and Biels wanted to be on a higher one. Now he's sitting on the crapper eating a Megaburger wondering what happened.

I'm sure I've forgotten others, I need your help to add to the list. What other coaches had their careers derailed by Kirk Ferentz?

Last edited:
Okay, okay, a little exaggeration here, but KF has had something to do with a long line of coaches hitting the unemployment line.

Riley -------- Okay, Riley was on his way out, but if Pelini got fired for ALMOST LOSING to Iowa, imagine the conversations behind closed doors after KF beat him 3 straight, 2 of them wood-sheddings.
Paul Rhoads ------ This has more to do with the fact Paul was at least supposed to make Iowa State look respectable next to Iowa. He never did.
Danny Mac ------- KF sent him packing TWICE. As a Cyclone and a Mean Green HC. Maybe if they were the Nice Green program? Nah. 2 games after 62-16 he was gone.
Darrel Hazel ------ 2016 and Iowa puts up 49 points on Purdue. 2 days later he is fired. You don't think his replacement was cognizant of that fact in 2017?
Ron Zook -------- Again, TWICE. Humiliating bowl loss and then being out-recruited by KF.
Tim Brewster ----- Kirk blanked him back-to-back 2008/9. Finishing out 2009 with consecutive losses to the Hawkeyes and Cyclones put him on the hot seat for 2010.
Glen Mason ------ He came into the B1G around the same time as KF. So of course comparisons were made. He came off as second fiddle to Kirk and Minnesota decided they could do better. They were wrong.
Bielema --------- Hear me out. Biels wasn't fired, I know. But Biels felt he should be treated by Wisky the way Iowa treated Kirk. Barry said no and BB found a job elsewhere. Kirk was on a pedestal and Biels wanted to be on a higher one. Now he's sitting on the crapper eating a Megaburger wondering what happened.

I'm sure I've forgotten others, I need your help to add to the list. What other coaches had their careers derailed by Kirk Ferentz?
The fact that you think loosing to Kirk and not an entire body of work was the reason all those guys were let go absolutely blows my mind, and with how amazingly stupid today's society is that's very hard to do.

Reactions: badger-007
O k Hayes/300... most of those firings were most likely not as a direct result of “loosing” to Iowa, the OP may have stretched a bit, but there’s no arguing Ferentz has outlasted and outperformed the coaches he listed. Bielema may be an exception due to age.

Last edited:
O k Hayes/300... most of those firings were most likely not as a direct result of “loosing” to Iowa, the OP may have stretched a bit, but there’s no arguing Ferentz has outlasted, and outperformed the coaches he listed. Bielema maybe an exception due to age.
That is very true and the majority of college football fans should be jealous of Iowa. For only having 2 coaches in what the last 40 years or some crazy number like that? It's very impressive tbh.

Ferentz out-recruited Zook? Wow! I like me some KF but that is a hell of a reach. The biggest discussion surrounding Zook was how he got as many high-profile players to come there. They certainly never achieved at the same level they recruited because Zook was largely a self-promoter who was a very weak coach.
And Bielema wanted what Ferentz had at Iowa? If you mean the ability to do his job with minimal oversight from the AD, yes. Bielema wanted a freer hand to recruit big-time talent. He was also and still is a colossal D bag who clashed with another alpha male who had authority over him and wasn't going to give into BB's demands. Ultimately, he took his ball to the SEC so he could access talent in a more morally-relaxed environment. KF had nothing to do with BB's demise at UW.

Barry an excellent AD beats us while spending less on coaches. Gary barta. ........ well i will just say not so good. Good fund raiser that is about it.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Nebraska is going to spend until they reach the level of success they are striving for. , MN, I'll, and ISU are bad. Pretty short list for 20 years of work.

The fact that you think loosing to Kirk and not an entire body of work was the reason all those guys were let go absolutely blows my mind, and with how amazingly stupid today's society is that's very hard to do.

So you missed/ignored the part where he said "a little exaggeration"?

You may want to take the time

Danny Mac was 6-6 at ISU vs Iowa and won 5 straight.

Not a little...that's a lot of exaggeration.

Not a little...that's a lot of exaggeration.

Most of these guys were embarrassed by a number of coaches. You could make an argument for Riley (getting crushed by Iowa doesn't go down well with the Huskers...as we know. It was the final and biggest nail in his veritable coffin).

Most of these guys were embarrassed by a number of coaches. You could make an argument for Riley (getting crushed by Iowa doesn't go down well with the Huskers...as we know. It was the final and biggest nail in his veritable coffin).

Riley already had nails sealed to his coffin before the Iowa game. Iowa just put the dirt and buried the veritable coffin.

Last edited:

I think you are trying too hard to make Kirk look like something he is not. He is a good steady coach that have provided longevity in coaching at Iowa. He has simply outlasted mediocre to bad coaches. Nebraska mentioning Iowa at the Pelini firing was not flattering to Iowa - IIRC. Him beating Iowa was not even enough to save his job. McCarney’s record against Ferentz has been noted. Bielema??? Who didn’t beat up on Riley and Rhodes? Overall - not exactly a group of coaches you want to brag about anything over.

I think Zook actually got an extension after losing to Iowa in the Outback Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT