ADVERTISEMENT

Listened to wuw with JD and JL again.

I still don’t think you are grasping his usage of the word “colored.” Unless you are albino, everybody has a skin color. Recognizing this isn’t racist; harboring negative feelings towards people with a specific skin tone/color is. Within the context of this thread and Mountain Man Hawk’s comments, the way it was used makes sense. If he had used the word “pigmented,” the comment would have meant the exact same thing

This is a completely dumb argument, but trying to be helpful because I don’t think H4wkfan said anything out of line

That's fair, but all I pointed out was the term colored is rooted in incredible racism in this country and to use it is either incredibly ignorant or blatantly racist. There's no way you can use colored in any serious conversation and expect anyone to assume you mean all people. At no point in history did colored ever mean anything other than non-white and to a lesser degree.

Whether or not he meant well, it's still wrong and again, is a term not used in several decades.

Also, his subsequent posts clarify that he meant non-white or else he wouldn't argue why the use of "colored" was a necessary qualifier.

Reactions: hagarwood
What a waste of our time listening to you two, who both want to have the last word...Go to the Iowa State site and fight all night..Tks.

That's fair, but all I pointed out was the term colored is rooted in incredible racism in this country and to use it is either incredibly ignorant or blatantly racist. There's no way you can use colored in any serious conversation and expect anyone to assume you mean all people. At no point in history did colored ever mean anything other than non-white and to a lesser degree.

Whether or not he meant well, it's still wrong and again, is a term not used in several decades.

Also, his subsequent posts clarify that he meant non-white or else he wouldn't argue why the use of "colored" was a necessary qualifier.
If a school was attempting to guarantee white players leadership positions on their team and I opined that “I don’t think certain colored players should be guaranteed leadership positions” you think this would be a racist comment? The context is the exact same

I fully appreciate what you’re trying to do, but (my favorite @BlackNGoldBleeder -ism) you’re laying siege of a vacant castle on this one

My question was more: was Howe fueling some of this with cherry picked statistics. Was he pushing these numbers to former players before his article came out?
I know he claims the data was hard to come by but if you are doing a data dig, do a data dig.

Reactions: Herkyhawk247
Grad rates are on the players. The academic help provided for these players is incredible. If a player doesn’t graduate, they need to look in the mirror. Skin color makes no difference. This “Victim Card” is getting ridiculous. Go to YouTube and search for Dr. Shelby Steele or Burgess Owens and listen. These black players that consider themselves victims should definitely listen. And yes, this is Burgess Owens the former NFL Star.

I do not totally agree with graduation rates being totally on the players. Many African American players do not receive the same education as kids from Iowa or other rural/small town school systems.

These kids need extra assistance to get caught up. I was not a very good student in high school, goofed around too much, so when I got to college I really struggled my first year. It is amazing what can happen if you really knuckle down and study.

I live in the South and volunteer to read to Kids at school. It is amazing how far behind some of these kids are (black and white). Many have a thirst to learn, unfortunately their parents or parent does not help them, either because they don't care or have literacy issues themselves.

To improve intercity education will require a significant commitment by parents, schools, volunteers and the government. Throwing money at the problem is not the answer.

here is a certain faction of fans here who think daniels can do no wrong, yet all other ex players are telling fibs

I still don’t think you are grasping his usage of the word “colored.” Unless you are albino, everybody has a skin color. Recognizing this isn’t racist; harboring negative feelings towards people with a specific skin tone/color is. Within the context of this thread and Mountain Man Hawk’s comments, the way it was used makes sense. If he had used the word “pigmented” instead, the comment would have meant the exact same thing

This is a completely dumb argument, but trying to be helpful because I don’t think H4wkfan said anything out of line
It really is no different than calling a person with autism - autistic. The politically correct way is to use the person first, ie. person of color, or my child has autism, not I have an autistic child. Unaware - maybe, racist - no.

the young people of today think twitter is the number one, end all be all. so if you take that away you are evil. and it causes ptsd.
I heard a statistic this weekend that said 80% of people with depression say the primary external factor is social media - but most were afraid to give it up because of the fear of being left out. Twitter is a cesspool of lies and a home for keyboard tough guys. Kind of like this board:)

I heard a statistic this weekend that said 80% of people with depression say the primary external factor is social media - but most were afraid to give it up because of the fear of being left out. Twitter is a cesspool of lies and a home for keyboard tough guys. Kind of like this board:)
I am not on twitter thank goodness. I barely get on facebook maybe twice a yr

I do not totally agree with graduation rates being totally on the players. Many African American players do not receive the same education as kids from Iowa or other rural/small town school systems.

These kids need extra assistance to get caught up. I was not a very good student in high school, goofed around too much, so when I got to college I really struggled my first year. It is amazing what can happen if you really knuckle down and study.

I live in the South and volunteer to read to Kids at school. It is amazing how far behind some of these kids are (black and white). Many have a thirst to learn, unfortunately their parents or parent does not help them, either because they don't care or have literacy issues themselves.

To improve intercity education will require a significant commitment by parents, schools, volunteers and the government. Throwing money at the problem is not the answer.
Do you have any idea what kind of resources are available to scholarship athletes? They have required study time in private study areas, tutors, and preferential class schedule. That is just the tip of what is offered. Do you think for one second the team/school does not make every effort to have their investment of a scholarship validated? To even compare their educational experience to an average student is apples to oranges. Let's stop making excuses for people. If you want it bad enough, it is more than within your reach.

Reactions: Stranded Hawk
That's not what he said. What he said is that many of these kids come in way way behind where the average student comes in. Going to an inner city school and getting a 2.3 grade average vs taking AP classes and such at a school like West Des Moines Valley is not anywhere near the same. Sure they have a lot of help, but they also have incredible time demands on them as well. Practice, travel and of course just going to regular classes. Not much time left for anything else. If you come in w/a 16-17 on your ACT and such and have not taken a lot of tough classes it's not even close to what you describe. It's not like it's just wine and roses for these guys. And you know it.

For texting brevity, he shortened the politically correct phrase, people of color, to colored people.

But you don't shorten something and end up with a word that sounds like my grandma for the 50's. I'm not sure what he truly meant, but it didn't sound right to me either.

Reactions: JStandefer
So players of certain color need a guaranteed representative because either the coaches or others players are racist?

Is that better you whiny little snowflake?

You sound more like a whiny little snowflake than the other guy. And triggered as well.

Reactions: Hawks4Life86
But you don't shorten something and end up with a word that sounds like my grandma for the 50's. I'm not sure what he truly meant, but it didn't sound right to me either.
Everyone has a skin color snowflake, how can a word be racist that applies to everyone. Lmfao moron.

You act like I said "look at that colored boy over there" or some hick thing like that.

Everyone has a skin color snowflake, how can a word be racist that applies to everyone. Lmfao moron.

You act like I said "look at that colored boy over there" or some hick thing like that.

The way you easily loose control an call people names, I'm guessing you have no problem saying racist things.

The comment about making sure your closet is clean was pretty telling. It comes down to this, does some sensitivity training need to occur, yes. Beyond that, the rest of this is petty grievances that is primarily half truths and not giving a full picture of each allegation. Akrum didn't do what he needed to to keep the weight up. And then parkers statement about raw steaks, they stated it was a single meal. You are going to bring up an allegation over a single meal that was catered?

I can't speak to specific changes after the 2017 meetings, but it does seem like the program is retaining black players at a much higher rate since those meeings. I believe our strong core of young black coaches (Copeland, Woods, Bell, Foster) has a lot to do with that.

Player retention is the first step towards higher graduation rates.
Players need to look in the mirror if they want see the problem with graduation rates. These people receive so much academic help it is incredible. How many players who transferred ended up graduating from the school they transferred to? Might be an interesting research project.

Good points.^^ Years ago I worked in an industry where I saw the raw standardized test results from school districts all over the country. (Think Iowa Test of Basic Skills, only not limited to Iowa.)

I was stunned to see such a radical difference between the results from school districts in different areas of the country. In one particularly high performing district I think more than 80% of the kids tested out at the 99th percentile and the "worst" performers were still way above average as compared to their peers across the country.

The very poor districts....aye yi yi, the best kids would top out in the 20th percentile range and the majority of the kids would be in the single digits. Incredible, mind boggling disparity.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Grad rates are on the players. The academic help provided for these players is incredible. If a player doesn’t graduate, they need to look in the mirror. Skin color makes no difference. This “Victim Card” is getting ridiculous. Go to YouTube and search for Dr. Shelby Steele or Burgess Owens and listen. These black players that consider themselves victims should definitely listen. And yes, this is Burgess Owens the former NFL Star.
Dr. Steele is solid.

ADVERTISEMENT