ADVERTISEMENT

Listening to KF post game

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
You know it’s harder than hell to get mad at this man who has brought a ton of happiness to the Iowa program but when asked a few questions he went on the beaten path once again and kind of side swept the questions I noticed he keeps referring to the “past” and “that seemed to work in the past” it’s comparable to a car salesman who sold 100 BMW’s the year before and the following year he pulls a shitter and sells nothing … he needs to understand and I am sure he does but now a days it’s “what have you done for me lately” and that goes with any job…

The problem is, there are ways he could sell more BMW's but he refuses to give them a try. This isn't complicated, except Kirk is too stubborn.
Actually there is much KF can do RIGHT NOW to make the offense better. The mistakes he has made are mostly in the past and at the end of last season by not rebooting the offense under different leadership.

Sure, he could play AP more - I think we have seen evidence that that's not really a difference maker. He could toss Joey Labas out there. He could try some new plays - but when none of them work that seems futile.

I'm not giving him a pass ... it's still on him. But this years BMW's were delivered without engines. It makes it hard as heck to sell them.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
He divulges in the past way too often. I think he confuses life lessons with life circumstances. The latter has ever-changing variables.

Not sure what 1981 has to do with today's game.

He divulges in the past way too often. I think he confuses life lessons with life circumstances. The latter has ever-changing variables.

Not sure what 1981 has to do with today's game.
Ferentz is a historian and a believer what once worked positive , even years ago, always will. He believes staying the course with your core beliefs will ALWAYS win the day. He references shit from years ago to make his point. Unfortunately this time he’s miscalculating in a big way.

Last edited:
With in any business, change is necessary. I hate it when I here " it's work that way for years, why change it". Change effects the bottom dollar, so if you dont make changes and embrace the change. It will cost you.
Long time coaches who begin to struggle don’t because they suddenly forgot what they’ve learned. They fail because they refused to adjust.

As the movie line says, -“Adapt or die”

Last edited:
Long time coaches who begin to struggle don’t because they suddenly forgot what they’ve learned. They fail because they refused to adjust.

As the movie line days, -“Adapt or die”
Agree. And the thing is, he HAS adjusted over his career .And he could now without sacrificing his core beliefs about how to build a football team (tough, smart, physical). Iowa now embraces analytics much more than they did pre-2014 or so. They review probabilities for winning based on 4th down situations vs kicking FG's. We saw this a lot when he had a competent QB (re: Beathard and Stanley). They went for 4th and short or medium a lot in the plus 40 area of the field. They don't this year my guess is largely due to the ineptness of the offense.

They changed the time they practice to better align with recovery and fitness. They changed the defense to run 4-2-5 as the core defense in a lot of situations after Wisconsin exploited the 4-3 in 2017. He listened to his team/players in the summer of 2020 about loosening restrictions on hair/clothes while in the football building, or players on social media.

For whatever reason, the offense itself is this sacred cow that cannot change. The thing is, you COULD do the things that Iowa does on offense and make it work. The 49'ers, Rams and Packers will go under center to run and set up play action game, will use shotgun, mulitple TE's, use outside zone as the foundation of the running game, etc. But those teams add a lot more variety to it with tons of pre-snap motion and huge difference is they have skilled playmakers on the outside. They don't have to go shotgun, 3 WR, 1 TE formation 100% of the time. But it will take a mindshift away from having the offense do the minimum possible to win a game to actually viewing it as one of 3 equal phases where the emphasis should be on winning that phase against the opponent. On defense and special teams, Iowa attacks the opponent and looks for opportunities to make plays. The offense plays as if its primary goal is to avoid risk at all costs. You can't win playing like that.

Do people really think there are things we could do right now that would make the offense successful the rest of the year? Like what? From what I’ve seen, the OL can’t pass block or run block. Usually people clamor for more passing but when you can’t block and have defenders on you 2 seconds after the snap, passes this year mainly turn into sacks and interceptions. And he can start a different QB the rest of the season but I’ll be shocked if it makes any difference.

I think there are several changes that can be made in the off-season that could help:

1. New OC….I actually expect this to happen but I remember Greg Davis’s first season too well to get my hopes up too much that it will be a miracle cure.

2. Multiple transfers from the portal at QB, WR, and OL. We haven’t done this much yet, but remember we did originally get Charlie Jones to transfer in from Buffalo.

3. Related to #2 but the staff needs to really make NIL a priority. We’ve been disappointingly slow to get our NIL off the ground. This obviously isn’t something the staff can fully control but maybe it would help if they talk to the donors and preach that NIL is critical if we want to compete these days.

Agree. And the thing is, he HAS adjusted over his career .And he could now without sacrificing his core beliefs about how to build a football team (tough, smart, physical). Iowa now embraces analytics much more than they did pre-2014 or so. They review probabilities for winning based on 4th down situations vs kicking FG's. We saw this a lot when he had a competent QB (re: Beathard and Stanley). They went for 4th and short or medium a lot in the plus 40 area of the field. They don't this year my guess is largely due to the ineptness of the offense.

They changed the time they practice to better align with recovery and fitness. They changed the defense to run 4-2-5 as the core defense in a lot of situations after Wisconsin exploited the 4-3 in 2017. He listened to his team/players in the summer of 2020 about loosening restrictions on hair/clothes while in the football building, or players on social media.

For whatever reason, the offense itself is this sacred cow that cannot change. The thing is, you COULD do the things that Iowa does on offense and make it work. The 49'ers, Rams and Packers will go under center to run and set up play action game, will use shotgun, mulitple TE's, use outside zone as the foundation of the running game, etc. But those teams add a lot more variety to it with tons of pre-snap motion and huge difference is they have skilled playmakers on the outside. They don't have to go shotgun, 3 WR, 1 TE formation 100% of the time. But it will take a mindshift away from having the offense do the minimum possible to win a game to actually viewing it as one of 3 equal phases where the emphasis should be on winning that phase against the opponent. On defense and special teams, Iowa attacks the opponent and looks for opportunities to make plays. The offense plays as if its primary goal is to avoid risk at all costs. You can't win playing like that.
I agree with a lot of this but with the players we have this year I’m not sure what we can do. An attacking offense sounds great but until we can pass block we can’t do anything.

I agree with a lot of this but with the players we have this year I’m not sure what we can do. An attacking offense sounds great but until we can pass block we can’t do anything.
I would agree with you. The die is cast on this season. They kind of are what they are. There are no magic play calls, formations or whatever that is going to make the offense good. Can't happen. Only real benefit for the rest of the season is if the experience can help the offensive players improve. It's why I would like to see Padilla play (and if necessary Labas too) to see if there is anything there that could be built on for 2023.

Do people really think there are things we could do right now that would make the offense successful the rest of the year? Like what? From what I’ve seen, the OL can’t pass block or run block. Usually people clamor for more passing but when you can’t block and have defenders on you 2 seconds after the snap, passes this year mainly turn into sacks and interceptions. And he can start a different QB the rest of the season but I’ll be shocked if it makes any difference.

I think there are several changes that can be made in the off-season that could help:

1. New OC….I actually expect this to happen but I remember Greg Davis’s first season too well to get my hopes up too much that it will be a miracle cure.

2. Multiple transfers from the portal at QB, WR, and OL. We haven’t done this much yet, but remember we did originally get Charlie Jones to transfer in from Buffalo.

3. Related to #2 but the staff needs to really make NIL a priority. We’ve been disappointingly slow to get our NIL off the ground. This obviously isn’t something the staff can fully control but maybe it would help if they talk to the donors and preach that NIL is critical if we want to compete these days.

I am in the same boat...not sure there's much they can do to save the offense this year. The line sucks and you just can't do much on offense with a crappy line. Not sure why you don't say it, but job one is get rid of Barnett. He's been here two years and we've had a crappy O line both years. Not just undersized or too young, they don't know what to do. They need a better coach.

As you noted, BF needs to go as well. Sure, a large part of this year's woes has a foundation in the crappy line, but BF has never had a decent offense...in just about every category (including those that adjust for pace of play) our average rank for BF's tenure has been around 100-115. Not too many OC's keep their job with that kind of production.

I do agree with the poster above that noted we need to change our perspective on offense. We need to change from "Do no harm" to "be productive". On a continuum where left is radical gung ho balls to the wall offense and right is ultra conservative protect the ball at all costs, we need a shift to the left. We can stay right of center and still be a pretty good offense, but we can't peg that meter to the right and expect to contend for championships (not to mention what it does to recruiting). We've seen what C. Jones has done at Purdon't. So have the recruits and the coaches that we're recruiting against. If we don't change our offensive philosophy, quality offensive players would be crazy to choose Iowa unless we're they're only option and you can bet the coaches we're recruiting against are telling them just that.

You know it’s harder than hell to get mad at this man who has brought a ton of happiness to the Iowa program but when asked a few questions he went on the beaten path once again and kind of side swept the questions I noticed he keeps referring to the “past” and “that seemed to work in the past” it’s comparable to a car salesman who sold 100 BMW’s the year before and the following year he pulls a shitter and sells nothing … he needs to understand and I am sure he does but now a days it’s “what have you done for me lately” and that goes with any job…
Yeah, it’s just like that :/

I would agree with you. The die is cast on this season. They kind of are what they are. There are no magic play calls, formations or whatever that is going to make the offense good. Can't happen. Only real benefit for the rest of the season is if the experience can help the offensive players improve. It's why I would like to see Padilla play (and if necessary Labas too) to see if there is anything there that could be built on for 2023.
Yeah, totally agree. I’ve been getting frustrated with the posters that seem to think we just aren’t calling the plays that would work. And I’m like - have you seen our pass blocking?!? We can’t protect the QB long enough for the receivers to get downfield so I’m not sure more deep passes is what we need.

I’ve also been watching a lot of Denver games on Sundays. Russell Wilson got out of Seattle because they wouldn’t “Let Russ Cook” and kept making him line up under center and establish the run game to later set up play action passes. Now we see that maybe Pete Carroll knew what he was doing and Russ doesn’t have the skill set to be a Drew Brees and pick defenses apart from the shotgun all the time. I think it’s probably a similar story with the Iowa offense, we’ve got to realize the talent we have and what type of system we can be successful with right now.

Yeah, totally agree. I’ve been getting frustrated with the posters that seem to think we just aren’t calling the plays that would work. And I’m like - have you seen our pass blocking?!? We can’t protect the QB long enough for the receivers to get downfield so I’m not sure more deep passes is what we need.

I’ve also been watching a lot of Denver games on Sundays. Russell Wilson got out of Seattle because they wouldn’t “Let Russ Cook” and kept making him line up under center and establish the run game to later set up play action passes. Now we see that maybe Pete Carroll knew what he was doing and Russ doesn’t have the skill set to be a Drew Brees and pick defenses apart from the shotgun all the time. I think it’s probably a similar story with the Iowa offense, we’ve got to realize the talent we have and what type of system we can be successful with right now.
You are right in large part, but the failure in a terrible OL falls on the shoulders of the staff in recruiting. They are most responsible for the entire offensive mess. Even with Petras and as bad as he's been, the guy is doing the very best he can. Our staff failed to recruit and develop anyone better so that's why he keeps getting thrown to the wolves time after time.

I am in the same boat...not sure there's much they can do to save the offense this year. The line sucks and you just can't do much on offense with a crappy line. Not sure why you don't say it, but job one is get rid of Barnett. He's been here two years and we've had a crappy O line both years. Not just undersized or too young, they don't know what to do. They need a better coach.

As you noted, BF needs to go as well. Sure, a large part of this year's woes has a foundation in the crappy line, but BF has never had a decent offense...in just about every category (including those that adjust for pace of play) our average rank for BF's tenure has been around 100-115. Not too many OC's keep their job with that kind of production.

I do agree with the poster above that noted we need to change our perspective on offense. We need to change from "Do no harm" to "be productive". On a continuum where left is radical gung ho balls to the wall offense and right is ultra conservative protect the ball at all costs, we need a shift to the left. We can stay right of center and still be a pretty good offense, but we can't peg that meter to the right and expect to contend for championships (not to mention what it does to recruiting). We've seen what C. Jones has done at Purdon't. So have the recruits and the coaches that we're recruiting against. If we don't change our offensive philosophy, quality offensive players would be crazy to choose Iowa unless we're they're only option and you can bet the coaches we're recruiting against are telling them just that.
I agree with all of this. The OL struggles are a bit of a mystery. Ferentz has a reputation as an OL guru and we have turned out countless individual great players, but it feels like forever since we had an OL as a unit that was the strength of the team. It seems like every year we have one or two great players and then 2 or 3 positions that are struggling. I guess that’s just what happens when you don’t recruit at an elite level - players are forced into starting before they are ready. If we could trade OL units with Michigan this year and keep everything else the same, I bet our offense would look a ton different. But they get top 5 recruiting classes and ours usually rank in the middle to below average within the Big10 so I guess it shouldn’t be totally unexpected.

I agree with all of this. The OL struggles are a bit of a mystery. Ferentz has a reputation as an OL guru and we have turned out countless individual great players, but it feels like forever since we had an OL as a unit that was the strength of the team. It seems like every year we have one or two great players and then 2 or 3 positions that are struggling. I guess that’s just what happens when you don’t recruit at an elite level - players are forced into starting before they are ready. If we could trade OL units with Michigan this year and keep everything else the same, I bet our offense would look a ton different. But they get top 5 recruiting classes and ours usually rank in the middle to below average within the Big10 so I guess it shouldn’t be totally unexpected.
The other issue is attrition. Early exits for the NFL, because of our developmental nature, hurt. This year we also have injuries and players who quit football.

If you go look at the great O-line units, they're loaded with seniors with maybe a junior or two mixed in. Many teams are still fielding super seniors thanks to the covid bonus eligibility. Meanwhile we have freshman and sophomores.

With the transfer portal mainly, and NIL sprinkled in, you won't see teams playing an offensive line as young as ours unless they have late summer and in season injuries. Teams are going to backfill in that situation to make sure they're not putting an under sized and inexperienced line out there. This is another area where KF has to rethink things a bit. You don't want to routinely recruit over your high school recruits, but when they're not ready, you need to bring in players with a year or two of eligibility to fill the gaps.

It's a new world out there in college football. A lot has changed and you need to adapt or die whether you like the changes or not.

The other issue is attrition. Early exits for the NFL, because of our developmental nature, hurt. This year we also have injuries and players who quit football.

If you go look at the great O-line units, they're loaded with seniors with maybe a junior or two mixed in. Many teams are still fielding super seniors thanks to the covid bonus eligibility. Meanwhile we have freshman and sophomores.

With the transfer portal mainly, and NIL sprinkled in, you won't see teams playing an offensive line as young as ours unless they have late summer and in season injuries. Teams are going to backfill in that situation to make sure they're not putting an under sized and inexperienced line out there. This is another area where KF has to rethink things a bit. You don't want to routinely recruit over your high school recruits, but when they're not ready, you need to bring in players with a year or two of eligibility to fill the gaps.

It's a new world out there in college football. A lot has changed and you need to adapt or die whether you like the changes or not.
Iowa has obviously had some great individual OL in recent years, but as a unit Iowa’s OL has been middle of the pack in the B1G for quite a while now.

Reactions: littlez
Until we have a qb that can throw then nothing will matter. When you have the entire defense within 5 yards of the LOS, and a qb that cannot make them pay, then nothing is going to work.

Until we have a qb that can throw then nothing will matter. When you have the entire defense within 5 yards of the LOS, and a qb that cannot make them pay, then nothing is going to work.
It is all inter-connected. No doubt that if Beathard were the QB this year the results would be better. Still wouldn't be good given the other issues. But there are times in each game where they are able to scheme people open and the throw just is not made.

Iowa has obviously had some great individual OL in recent years, but as a unit Iowa’s OL has been middle of the pack in the B1G for quite a while now.

at this point I’m now wondering how much of our OL units inconsistency over the past few years has been due to the outdated offensive scheme, given the number of NFL-caliber linemen we churn out regularly.

With KF's reputation as a geezer stuck in his own (failing) offensive philosophy, I find it hard to believe even an OC change will attract portal QBs or WR's let alone HS kids. Jones was not even a starter and was barely targeted now he is the statistical leader in all of college football. Shows the world KF is horrible when it comes to offense scheme and personnel selection. And I don't buy he can just turn the reins over to someone else. He clearly hates the spread offense and does not value QB mobility. Just look at the long list of under-utilized WRs over the years at Iowa. It is the worst place for a QB or WR in the country. QBs do not improve over time and WR is basically a blocking position. KF is very slow to adapt and the minute the transfer rules and NIL changed we were in trouble.

This isn't just a this year thing, it has been bad/awful since Brian became OC

Not much can be done this year, but, it appears that nothing has been done to improve

IOWA OFFENSE'S NATIONAL RANKING20222017-22
Offensive Points per Game130th105th
Yards per Game131st127th
Yards per Play130th124th
Third Down Conversion Rate126th105th
Points per Possession131st103rd
Success Rate130th105th
Explosive Play Rate130th126th
Expected Points Added per Play131st108th

Not much can be done this year, but, it appears that nothing has been done to improve

Yards per Game131st127th
Yards per Play130th124th
Success Rate130th105th
So you are saying there is hope

Reactions: MikeyHawk
IF the offensive line was an average KF line, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

So he "sorta" has a point.

The OL is more of a problem than the QB. AINEC
Iowa’s OL play as a unit has been “average” for a long time now. Where have you been?

Yards per Game131st127th
Yards per Play130th124th
Success Rate130th105th
It was terrible under Davis and O'keefe (save for a couple of seasons like 2002 and 2008).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT