ADVERTISEMENT

Little League World Series is…..

Come for the Milfs stay for the comedy.

R.380d2a9c001195c6112d81965b6de50d

Anyone here get to the WS? My team was 2 games away in the Southern Regional. We would have had to beat Charlie Hayes' Missisippi and then Dwight Gooden to make it. I didn't know that until a few years later.

I appreciate that all umps are volunteers but they suck so bad it can be difficult to watch.

I agree and they give the pitcher such a huge advantage on balls and strikes. They’re calling strikes on pitches in the opposite batter’s box that the hitter can’t touch with an MLB size bat. I would live out there as a pitcher.

I’m all for opening up the strike zone at this age, but these kids are all-stars too. There’s a happy medium in there without calling strikes that are a good foot outside that the hitter can’t even reach.

I haven’t watched a ton this year, but that’s what I’ve noticed the most. Any pitch that is below the head, doesn’t bounce, crossing the batter in the air has been called a strike.

Is the QC team a real team or a "put together " all star group?

I don't remember how that works.

Every league created an all-star team, and those teams are what enter the tournament. I believe our Des Moines county team played two Davenport teams back in the day at the District tournament in Muscatine, because QC had multiple leagues.

Anyone here get to the WS? My team was 2 games away in the Southern Regional. We would have had to beat Charlie Hayes' Missisippi and then Dwight Gooden to make it. I didn't know that until a few years later.

We won several games but we weren’t close enough to even start a countdown. There were a LOT of teams back in the 60’s.

I had the distinction of making the last out to end our run. Down two with two on I did hit a low fly ball to the warning track, so it wasn’t a complete fail - but I’ve replayed that moment in my head, with the fence five feet shorter, a million times since then.

Is the QC team a real team or a "put together " all star group?

I don't remember how that works.

Not certain but this is Davenport SE LL. So it would be an all-star team of that district. I’ll put a photo below showing the district boundaries, which looks like East Dport and all of Bettendorf. Davenport also has North LL and Northwest LL for districts. I couldn’t find a boundary map of the other two and only SE LL appears to have an active website.

Southeast LL

5jh773.jpg

Reactions: MitchLL
The teams that go to the LLWS are All-Star teams from a particular league.
This. All are all star teams. By the time they get that far though, odds are they played more games with the all star team than they did with the regular season team.

Not certain but this is Davenport SE LL. So it would be an all-star team of that district. I’ll put a photo below showing the district boundaries, which looks like East Dport and all of Bettendorf. Davenport also has North LL and Northwest LL for districts. I couldn’t find a boundary map of the other two and only SE LL appears to have an active website.

Southeast LL

5jh773.jpg

Looks like Davenport is down to East, Southeast, West-Emeis, North, and Northwest...

Back in the day (80's-90's) there was East (Garfield); Southeast (Duck Creek); Central (Junge); Southwest (somewhere on the West end); Emeis (Emeis); West (Buffalo); Northwest (Northwest); and North (Ridgeview)

I never made it out of the city tournament...my younger brother's PONY League team came a game away from the World Series in Washington, PA

My son's team lost in the regionals to Toms River, NJ (hate Toms River)

Reactions: iahawks10
We went quite a ways. District Champs, State Champs. Beat Davenport East or Southeast (can't remember) in the state championship game in Muscatine. Ended up losing to Joplin, MO at Midwest Regionals in Baxter Springs, KS. We were a couple of games from Williamsport.

Back then Baxter Springs hosted Midwest Regionals every year. The field/stadium was unbelievable. The grass was as tight as a fairway. The dirt was red because of the soil near the Kansas/Oklahoma border. The infield was as manicured and a major league infield. Still the nicest field I ever played a baseball game on.

Didn't a former Hawkeye offensive lineman play in the LLWS when he was younger. I believe he was from the Quad Cities.

Not a big draw for me. I remember watching the championship game on Wild World of Sports every year but 24/7 games kind of takes the shine of it.

it is crazy how good some of the pitchers are and the mound is so close it makes hitting a good pitcher almost impossible.

We went quite a ways. District Champs, State Champs. Beat Davenport East or Southeast (can't remember) in the state championship game in Muscatine. Ended up losing to Joplin, MO at Midwest Regionals in Baxter Springs, KS. We were a couple of games from Williamsport.

Back then Baxter Springs hosted Midwest Regionals every year. The field/stadium was unbelievable. The grass was as tight as a fairway. The dirt was red because of the soil near the Kansas/Oklahoma border. The infield was as manicured and a major league infield. Still the nicest field I ever played a baseball game on.
Your regional scores should be on here. You can also break it down by state and see your state tourney by year.

Looks like Davenport is down to East, Southeast, West-Emeis, North, and Northwest...

Back in the day (80's-90's) there was East (Garfield); Southeast (Duck Creek); Central (Junge); Southwest (somewhere on the West end); Emeis (Emeis); West (Buffalo); Northwest (Northwest); and North (Ridgeview)

I never made it out of the city tournament...my younger brother's PONY League team came a game away from the World Series in Washington, PA

Central little leage in Davenport at Junge Park was awesome. Great memories. My team made the Pony League World Series which was played in Washington, PA. Pony league was right after little league for 13 and 14 year olds

Buddy and his kid were on the Johnston team that went to the championship a few years back. They lost but it was exciting to watch and memorable for the kids.

One of my sons friends plays on the Urbandale team. The problem today is so many Major level teams have non compete contracts the kids have to sign saying they won't play on those LLWS teams because the time investments they have (practice 4 days a week) that now it's not even the best players on the teams.

That makes sense. Davenport East was always the power (and I believe last Dport team to advance there).

Our little league wasnt sanctioned by the actual Little League until about five years after our group went through. We scrimmaged the East LL several times, through the years so I’m guessing a few dads knew each other or something.

We played a lot of pick up games at Garfield and Junge. Yelling at the Annie Wittenmeyer boot camp kids was always pretty funny. The best pick up games were played at Jefferson though. You might hit a HR or you might get shot at. It was 50/50 there.

Reactions: CJBauer and torbee
Also keep in mind that they are letting 12 year olds throw from 46', run 60' bases, and play on a field with fences at 225', which makes them look like studs - those are what 10 year olds play at in USSSA. Anyone who plays USSSA at 11U or 12U throws from 50', and the field is 70' bases with fences that are usually at least 275' in tournament play (though there are some exceptions). I have no data to prove this, but I suspect a decent USSSA 12U AAA squad would run through most of the U.S. teams at the LLWS - and Majors teams would absolutely annihilate them.

Central little leage in Davenport at Junge Park was awesome. Great memories. My team made the Pony League World Series which was played in Washington, PA. Pony league was right after little league for 13 and 14 year olds
Another Central Little League alum :)

You and your brother played for Pepsi
Me and my brothers played for Eagle Signal/McDonalds
Also in the league at that time:

Pizza Works/Pizza Hut
Happy Joes
KFC
LE Chute

My brother's PONY League team should have made it to Washington. I am convinced a certain coach on that team messed up the pitching rotation in the tournament at Emeis so they would lose cause he was about to be indicted for embezzlement... (I need to let that go at some point)

That makes sense. Davenport East was always the power (and I believe last Dport team to advance there).

Our little league wasnt sanctioned by the actual Little League until about five years after our group went through. We scrimmaged the East LL several times, through the years so I’m guessing a few dads knew each other or something.

We played a lot of pick up games at Garfield and Junge. Yelling at the Annie Wittenmeyer boot camp kids was always pretty funny. The best pick up games were played at Jefferson though. You might hit a HR or you might get shot at. It was 50/50 there.
Jefferson School or Jefferson Park? I grew up 2 blocks North of there :)

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
My son will be playing 11u USSSA next year. Can he not jump over to LL team to give it a shot?

kind of wondered how that could work.

Jefferson School or Jefferson Park? I grew up 2 blocks North of there :)

School - on what 12th and Division? Marycrest used to play their college ball there.

I hope it wasn’t the school neighborhood where you grew up. That’s a rough little hood.

My dad coached the 1975 Davenport Southeast Little League team to Williamsport. They ended up finishing 3rd. Back then, there was no double elimination, so the '75 team got through city/state/regionals without losing a game. Lost to Tampa in the semis and defeated a California team in the consolation game.

For two years (1975 and 1976, I believe) there were no foreign teams due to issues with the Taiwanese teams bringing kids over who were much older than 12.

ADVERTISEMENT