ADVERTISEMENT

Livability Index releases their algorithm’s top 100 best places to live in the U.S. Four cities in Iowa make the list…

Menace Sockeyes

HR Legend
Sep 2, 2010
Only Cedar Rapids makes the top 50. Ranking, city, and score listed below…

50) Cedar Rapids - 748
88) Davenport - 702
89) Des Moines - 701
94) Iowa City - 695

Scores based on nearly 100 data points and an algorithm taking into account measures of a city’s economy, housing and cost of living, amenities, transportation, environment, safety, education and health…

Reactions: LuteHawk
Good gravy! What the heck kind of list has C.R. as #50 top city in the U.S. to live? Lived there for 3 years and couldn't wait to leave, and the State of Iowa has gone into a nosedive since then. The only saving grace is proximity to Hawkeye sports.

Reactions: Ree4
these lists are dumb.

How can the best places not be little bedroom communities with zero homeless and zero crime with easy access to interstate and a very short drive to a major metro area?

these lists are dumb.

How can the best places not be little bedroom communities with zero homeless and zero crime with easy access to interstate and a very short drive to a major metro area?
It probably should’ve been labeled best “cities”to live in, because they had to be larger than 75,000 people. That being said, suburbs that are economically tied to cities but give people like @jamesvanderwulf all white safe spaces for their double-wides shouldn’t count.

Iowa City would be ranked the best if not for the cost of living. We hate living amongst the poors, so I’m okay with it.

My town borders #1 and #11, but didn't make the list. Maybe because I live here.

I lived in #1 for 20 years until 5 years ago. Interesting choice, and give some insight into how these things calculate I guess.

On the positive side...phenomenal schools, safe, and tons of programs for kids as far as sports, scouts, all of that kind of stuff. And a good hospital with all the associated medical stuff surrounding it is convenient. It is diverse with a high Asian and Indian population.

Flip side...it's absolute suburban hell, nothing but Chipotles and Starbucks and nail salons for as far as the eye can see. The entire place is 0% walkable, designed around landlocked subdivisions of cookie cutter $500-750k home that look exactly the same. There is no central area or town center. The description of it as tight-knit is deceiving...it is not tight knit in terms of a "community" or town as there is no center. The festivals it describes are absolutly nothing. But can be tight-knit within subdivisions I suppose. Tons of traffic. While it's ethnically diverse, its extremely economically homogeneous - upper middle class and wealthy.

It's a good safe place to to raise kids in a fairly exclusive place with great schools and youth programs, but it's boring as shit, the parks it describes are boring. If you are not in that life stage where your entire lifestyle revolves around your kids, which all of us parents do go through, it's hella dull.

I worked in #11. It's better than #1 in a lot of ways, it has small a city center with cool restaurants and shops at least, and it does have regular festival type things there. It's got a decent arts center that does plays and things.

Where I live is much better, even though its adjacent to both. Has a much bigger city center with a ton of good restaurants and bars and a lot of parking. Regular Lots of walkability around the city center...I can walk to Publix, Walgreens, a hardware store, a huge park, and probably 15 restaurants and bars within 10 minutes. About a mile away (still the same town), walkable on a nice day, is one of the most successful upscale live/work retail centers in the country.

I don't care about whether my town makes the list or not, but by the parameters it talks about in the description, it far exceeds the other two, which gives insight into how sketchy the lists can be. I mean, directionally, I'm sure these places are all nice, but it's kind of silly to single out individual places like its that definitive. With two cities in the top 11, it's pretty easy to determine the entire northeast suburbs of Atlanta are pretty attractive.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers

50) Cedar Rapids - 748
88) Davenport - 702
89) Des Moines - 701
94) Iowa City - 695

Scores based on nearly 100 data points and an algorithm taking into account measures of a city’s economy, housing and cost of living, amenities, transportation, environment, safety, education and health…

The future American Sahel.

50) Cedar Rapids - 748
88) Davenport - 702
89) Des Moines - 701
94) Iowa City - 695

All behind Omaha lol

My town borders #1 and #11, but didn't make the list. Maybe because I live here.

I lived in #1 for 20 years until 5 years ago. Interesting choice, and give some insight into how these things calculate I guess.

On the positive side...phenomenal schools, safe, and tons of programs for kids as far as sports, scouts, all of that kind of stuff. And a good hospital with all the associated medical stuff surrounding it is convenient. It is diverse with a high Asian and Indian population.

Flip side...it's absolute suburban hell, nothing but Chipotles and Starbucks and nail salons for as far as the eye can see. The entire place is 0% walkable, designed around landlocked subdivisions of cookie cutter $500-750k home that look exactly the same. There is no central area or town center. The description of it as tight-knit is deceiving...it is not tight knit in terms of a "community" or town as there is no center. The festivals it describes are absolutly nothing. But can be tight-knit within subdivisions I suppose. Tons of traffic. While it's ethnically diverse, its extremely economically homogeneous - upper middle class and wealthy.

It's a good safe place to to raise kids in a fairly exclusive place with great schools and youth programs, but it's boring as shit, the parks it describes are boring. If you are not in that life stage where your entire lifestyle revolves around your kids, which all of us parents do go through, it's hella dull.

I worked in #11. It's better than #1 in a lot of ways, it has small a city center with cool restaurants and shops at least, and it does have regular festival type things there. It's got a decent arts center that does plays and things.

Where I live is much better, even though its adjacent to both. Has a much bigger city center with a ton of good restaurants and bars and a lot of parking. Regular Lots of walkability around the city center...I can walk to Publix, Walgreens, a hardware store, a huge park, and probably 15 restaurants and bars within 10 minutes. About a mile away (still the same town), walkable on a nice day, is one of the most successful upscale live/work retail centers in the country.

I don't care about whether my town makes the list or not, but by the parameters it talks about in the description, it far exceeds the other two, which gives insight into how sketchy the lists can be. I mean, directionally, I'm sure these places are all nice, but it's kind of silly to single out individual places like its that definitive. With two cities in the top 11, it's pretty easy to determine the entire northeast suburbs of Atlanta are pretty attractive.
Sounds like West Des Moines. Worked in the area for a contract. Gross place.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
This list has Iowa City and Peoria, Illinois tied at score of
695. Iowa City has median home value at $276,118 and
Peoria has mhv at $132,955.

This is not a valid comparison. Peoria has a crime rate that
continues to rise and the white folks exodus from that city
is growing rapidly. Iowa City deserves to be far ahead of Peoria.

Hear that! Suck it rest of Iowa.

cedar-rapids.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT