ADVERTISEMENT

LIVE: Bomb cyclone, atmospheric river taking aim at storm-weary California...

Screen-Shot-2023-01-04-at-1.06.43-PM.png

Pretty sure this one will be less intense than the one last week. Probably some trees knocked down, bit of flooding.

Reactions: lucas80
Isn't the ground already saturated thus increasing the chance of devastating mud slides?
California ground isn't like Florida ground. Lot's of elevation change where this storm has been hitting, and it's mountainous. Also, a lot of this has hit as rain, versus snow at a higher elevation.

California ground isn't like Florida ground. Lot's of elevation change where this storm has been hitting, and it's mountainous. Also, a lot of this has hit as rain, versus snow at a higher elevation.

Isn't that sort of geography conducive to mud and rock slides?

Florida doesn't have those sorts of problems.

Reactions: Gimmered
Isn't the ground already saturated thus increasing the chance of devastating mud slides?
Mud slides? Not a lot out here. We're pretty new mountains. We might have some flooding around creeks and rivers but last week was worse. The river that busted levees last week was flowing somewhere around 90,000 cfs and this week they predict about 10,000

Reactions: Torg
this is climate change gents.
Extremes one way or the other.
The new normal for weather is one extreme or the other .
Problem is this kind of moisture this fast can’t soak in. Just run off which doesn’t help anything.
Now the snowpack that’s more critical.

this is climate change gents.
Extremes one way or the other.
The new normal for weather is one extreme or the other .
Problem is this kind of moisture this fast can’t soak in. Just run off which doesn’t help anything.
Now the snowpack that’s more critical.
Isn’t it just running off into lakes, rivers and reservoirs that are low due to so called climate change? Kind of funny how the earth always seems to self correct.

Isn’t it just running off into lakes, rivers and reservoirs that are low due to so called climate change? Kind of funny how the earth always seems to self correct.
The big problems are that the reservoirs were built in areas and designed to collect runoff from longer-term heavy snowpack buildup like the dams on the Colorado from the Rockies. This atmospheric river kind of severe coastal rains don't help as much, and there are very few reservoirs or other opportunities to capture it on the coast before it all just runs into the season.

The big problems are that the reservoirs were built in areas and designed to collect runoff from longer-term heavy snowpack buildup like the dams on the Colorado from the Rockies. This atmospheric river kind of severe coastal rains don't help as much, and there are very few reservoirs or other opportunities to capture it on the coast before it all just runs into the season.
Glad you took the time to write it out. I wasnt thrilled with having to explain it. Thanks bro👍🏻

Mud slides? Not a lot out here. We're pretty new mountains. We might have some flooding around creeks and rivers but last week was worse. The river that busted levees last week was flowing somewhere around 90,000 cfs and this week they predict about 10,000

800.webp

I’m feeling sorry for California because no matter how one feels about the politics of the state that weather is NUTS.
I saw video taken by folks in Monterey and the ocean was just crashing up into homes, stores, and roads.
Further down the coast in Capitola the Pacific was just decimating stores and restaurants.
I just hope they now have a greater understanding of how it affects those of us in Eastern coastal towns and cities.
No one is escaping the effects of a changing climate, unfortunately.

800.webp
My quote was from the 4th. We’ve had at least 4 more storms since then. And SoCal is now getting pummeled as well. And that’s still not a mud slide.

Reactions: goldmom
Shouldn't you be sending your nasty tweets to the AP Explainer staff?
Why, they didn’t call me out. I also don’t point out that most reporters still say “x.x on the Richter scale“ when they should really just say “magnitude“ because we haven’t used the RS in decades.

ADVERTISEMENT