ADVERTISEMENT

Live Updates: Judge Holds Trump in Contempt of Court, Fining Him $9,000

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The judge overseeing Donald J. Trump’s criminal trial fined him $9,000 on Tuesday for repeatedly violating a gag order that bars him from making attacks on witnesses and jurors, and threatened to put him behind bars if he continued to violate the order.

In a written order, the judge, Juan M. Merchan, said he was “keenly aware of, and protective of, Defendant’s First Amendment rights.” But nonetheless, he wrote that he would not tolerate continued violations of his orders and he would “impose an incarceratory sentence” if necessary.

Reactions: Torg
The judge overseeing Donald J. Trump’s criminal trial fined him $9,000 on Tuesday for repeatedly violating a gag order that bars him from making attacks on witnesses and jurors, and threatened to put him behind bars if he continued to violate the order.

In a written order, the judge, Juan M. Merchan, said he was “keenly aware of, and protective of, Defendant’s First Amendment rights.” But nonetheless, he wrote that he would not tolerate continued violations of his orders and he would “impose an incarceratory sentence” if necessary.

More like...

"The judge overseeing Donald J. Trump’s criminal trial fined him his donors $9,000 on Tuesday..."

Incarceration for the next violation certainly will.

Which is what I'd stated earlier is exactly what the judge should do: fine him for these violations, 1 more and you spend the rest of trial in my jail.
So you're an advisor to the judge now? How interesting. Can you tell us what the outcome will be in advance?

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
Watching trial coverage. Trump should be held in contempt for his hair and his scowl. Dude is losing his fight against baldness. He probably thinks people admire how he looks.

Reactions: cigaretteman
So you're an advisor to the judge now? How interesting. Can you tell us what the outcome will be in advance?
I actually didn't make a post bragging about the judge is doing what I suggested. Come back to this post when I do that.

Yes, I love for Trump to be incarcerated. Wouldn't you?

I actually didn't make a post bragging about the judge is doing what I suggested. Come back to this post when I do that.

Yes, I love for Trump to be incarcerated. Wouldn't you?

No, you had just made a post advising the judge to "incarcerate him", then minutes later chastised another poster for opining in a similar manner.

Only a diabetic boomer with a Bidenesque mind would pull that sort of hypocrisy within 20 minutes AND then try and squirm out of it.

As for Trump's incarceration and whether I would love it. it would depend on the circumstances of the incarceration.

As for Trump's incarceration and whether I would love it. it would depend on the circumstances of the incarceration.

Yep. Trump is a vile person.
I don't need to see him "incarcerated" just for "being a bad person".

if he commits crimes or contempt of court which would result in incarceration for any other perp, then he should incur those same consequences for his actions.

Becoming more and more evident that incarceration is the only remedy which will alter his behavior.

Geez it's almost like fining a rich person isn't much of a punishment.

Could we stop acting like fining a billionaire $9,000 and fining a grocery store clerk $9,000 is the same thing?
That's NYs statutory limit...

Would be a far different story if they changed the statute to double for each occurrence...

It'd be >$0.5M by now...

10th example of contempt. So, what if it were a situation involving you as the accuser and the Orange Turd as the defendant and he was doing the same, would you be defending him, which you are in subtlety.

Geez it's almost like fining a rich person isn't much of a punishment.

Could we stop acting like fining a billionaire $9,000 and fining a grocery store clerk $9,000 is the same thing?
Finland has a speeding ticket policy where the ticket is an equal percentage of your income (half 1 day’s income). I don’t personally like the idea of progressive penalties like that, so can’t we just throw his ass in jail?

Finland has a speeding ticket policy where the ticket is an equal percentage of your income (half 1 day’s income). I don’t personally like the idea of progressive penalties like that, so can’t we just throw his ass in jail?

At this point I think it's necessary.

I'm just pointing out a general view that fines need to be based on income or wealth and not just some fixed amount.

I mean a $9,000 fine to him is like fining you or me a quarter. It's not a real punishment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT