ADVERTISEMENT

Liz Cheney’s Last Stand

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By Susan Stubson
Ms. Stubson is a lawyer and a Republican. Her husband, Tim Stubson, ran against Liz Cheney in the 2016 House Republican primary. The couple are on Ms. Cheney’s state leadership team as unpaid supporters.
CASPER, Wyo. — On the same day in June that Representative Liz Cheney was making the case to the nation that Donald Trump was responsible for the Jan. 6 insurrection, members of the Natrona County Republican central committee crammed into a hotel conference room to debate whether Jan. 6 was a big deal at all.
One issue was a resolution calling for the resignation of Frank Eathorne, chairman of the state party. He was at the Capitol on Jan. 6 and had downplayed his participation in what he called a “peaceful rally.” But photos surfaced of Mr. Eathorne, a member of the far-right militia Oath Keepers, deep into restricted grounds, walkie-talkie in hand, grinning beneath the balustrade.
In another state, such a resolution might be a fait accompli. But Wyoming is the Trumpiest of places. A healthy number of those debating the resolution were deaf to the Jan. 6 hearings, disgusted by Ms. Cheney and confident the election was stolen. One attendee called the allegations a “poppycock liberal vendetta.” Many in this state view Ms. Cheney as a traitor for voting to impeach a president of her own party.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

Seventy percent of Wyoming voters chose Mr. Trump in 2020, his highest share in any state. He has been good for Wyoming. We benefited handsomely from his administration’s energy policies. The mining industry is our lifeblood. It signs our paychecks; it funds our schools and paves our streets. There’s a joke that Wyoming is a two-party system: red and reddest, no Democrats allowed. Here, the primary is dispositive, and given that Mr. Trump has endorsed Ms. Cheney’s primary challenger, Harriet Hageman, it is a short leap across a dry bed to assume Ms. Cheney is toast.

But our state’s politics are more nuanced than Mr. Trump’s margins of victory suggest. Here, relationships and results matter. Ms. Cheney might hold onto her seat if she's able to cobble together a coalition of forgotten moderates and crossover Democrats in the open primary just large enough to push her across the finish line.
Those quieter moderates — many of whom cannot stomach engaging with the bully extremists who often prominently display guns on their hips during party meetings — view Ms. Cheney as a champion, a courageous renegade who places country over party. The moderates speak less, but they vote.
When it came down to voting on the resolution aiming to force Mr. Eathorne out, for example, they carried the day. Even though the resolution has no teeth, the result was no aberration: Natrona County is the second-most populous county and its central committee’s vote may be a sign that an ideologically diverse electorate can still choose the winner.
In the 2018 Republican primary for governor, the moderate Mark Gordon defeated Mr. Trump’s candidate, Foster Friess, in part because of Mr. Gordon’s experience in the Republican Party during his time as state treasurer. The relationships Mr. Gordon built mattered. Work hard and do good work, and Wyomingites will turn out for you. Voters didn’t know Mr. Friess, a nonnative Republican megadonor from upscale Jackson Hole who threw his name in the hat less than four months before the primary.

Ms. Hageman, who came in third place in the governor’s race despite her Wyoming bona fides and a well-funded campaign, was a first time candidate for political office. She ran a shallow single-issue race, vowing to sue the federal government her first day in office. Her plans for the next day remained unclear.

Mr. Gordon’s win was not so much a victory for centrist conservatives (Mr. Gordon got 33 percent of the vote) as it was a reflection of vote splitting on the outer flank of the party. But Mr. Gordon might have benefited from crossover voters. From July to September 2018, a combination of Democrats and unaffiliated voters, 10,412 in all, changed their registration to Republican. In a primary race in which the winner took about 38,000 votes, this is an important demographic.
Moderate voters don’t just matter at the polls — they influence how the state is governed, propping up the big-tent leadership in the Legislature as it holds its finger in the dike of Republican Party extremism.
The recent legislative session was instructive: A bill restricting the teaching of critical race theory failed. A bill preventing transgender women from competing on women’s sports teams failed. A bill to infuse federal money into rural health clinics passed. A Trump-endorsed bill to prevent crossover voting failed.
Ms. Cheney’s campaign is now unabashedly issuing Democrats and unaffiliated voters with step-by-step instructions on how to register as Republicans. It is a squishy electorate Ms. Cheney is banking on, a combination of crossover voters and moderate Republicans appalled by the testimony of the Jan. 6 committee.
It’s been a curious path we’ve walked with Ms. Cheney. In 2016, my husband, Tim, ran against her for Congress. We tried to paint her as an outsider who didn’t know the state. While we were once on the receiving end of her fierce campaigning, we are now supporters who see her as a lifeline to sanity. Perhaps she saw what I saw of Wyoming’s red-to-reddest spectrum. I’ve knocked on thousands of doors and shaken thousands of hands in Wyoming, and I see a nuanced electorate that judges the person, not the party.
There is an adage here that Wyoming is one small town with long streets. Translated, we know everyone. Six degrees of separation is a game for chumps. Here, it’s more like one degree. Those personal connections are meaningful and have generational depth. Recently we canvassed door to door for State Senator Drew Perkins. He is in a tight race with a challenger who marched on the Capitol on Jan. 6.

Most folks told me Drew had their vote. They knew him and they trusted him. They knew his mother. He’s been their representative for years. He works hard and has done good work. Red, redder or reddest, it did not matter.

We Westerners take rugged individualism seriously to the point of codifying a Code of the West. Chief among those principles are “Do what has to be done,” “Be tough, but fair,” and “When you make a promise, keep it.” And it is a personal case Ms. Cheney is making to her electorate: I will never betray the Constitution for my party. Choose me, not Donald Trump.
As a Wyomingite, I’m finding it both gratifying and terrifying to be in this pivotal moment in our country’s history. Ms. Cheney’s hope is that a quiet electorate will overcome the noisy hard-liners by registering its concerns the old-fashioned way: by voting. This may be the defining difference for Liz Cheney.

I don't understand why Liz still identifies as a Republican. She knows her old party is dead. Why doesn't she declare herself an idependent?

I've wondered this as well. I came to the conclusion that it's like me being a teacher, I can't fix what is happening with kids or the direction of education if I just quit... which would probably make me a happier individual :) Love the kids, hate the rest.

Does anyone else find it ironic that dems always point to Wyoming when complaining about the EC or the senate, and yet a republican from Wyoming is suddenly their savior when it comes to Trump? Lol

I don't understand why Liz still identifies as a Republican. She knows her old party is dead. Why doesn't she declare herself an idependent?
Let's see if she runs as an indy when she loses the primary. How hard is it to get on the ballot as an Independent in Wyoming?

My dream scenario is that Dems cross over in the primary to help Cheney win, then vote Dem in November.
Meanwhile, Trump supporters get pissed and don't vote in November. So the Dem wins.

Note that I have no idea who the Dem candidate is. In this hyperpartisan world, it doesn't matter.

• Haha
Reactions: coloradonoles
There’s a joke that Wyoming is a two-party system: red and reddest, no Democrats allowed.
. . .

When it came down to voting on the resolution aiming to force Mr. Eathorne out, for example, they carried the day. Even though the resolution has no teeth, the result was no aberration: Natrona County is the second-most populous county and its may be a sign that an ideologically diverse electorate can still choose the winner.
Nice anecdote but those 2 viewpoints are contradictory.

Where's the ideological diversity among "red and reddest"?

Those quieter moderates — many of whom cannot stomach engaging with the bully extremists who often prominently display guns on their hips during party meetings — view Ms. Cheney as a champion, a courageous renegade who places country over party. The moderates speak less, but they vote.
Imagine what it must feel like to be a Democrat or - gasp - a card-carrying liberal in Wyoming.

Beautiful country. I wonder how climate change will treat it?

Reactions: cigaretteman
Let's see if she runs as an indy when she loses the primary. How hard is it to get on the ballot as an Independent in Wyoming?

My dream scenario is that Dems cross over in the primary to help Cheney win, then vote Dem in November.
Meanwhile, Trump supporters get pissed and don't vote in November. So the Dem wins.

Note that I have no idea who the Dem candidate is. In this hyperpartisan world, it doesn't matter.

Liz is done in Wyoming,.. She needs to relocate and possibly even change parties...

Does anyone else find it ironic that dems always point to Wyoming when complaining about the EC or the senate, and yet a republican from Wyoming is suddenly their savior when it comes to Trump? Lol
Appreciating an honest person from across the aisle is akin to that person being a savior? No wonder the republican party smells like shit.

Liz is done in Wyoming,.. She needs to relocate and possibly even change parties...
Which party would be a better fit? She's a Big Oil, pro-corporate, tax-cutting con who votes with the Rs we'll over 90% and has a solid con rating. She almost makes Manchin look acceptable. So not the Dems.

Obviously not the Greens.

Nor the Libertarians, either. Too pro war, pro globalization (NAFTA and WTO, and so on). Although the Libertarians might be happy to have her - just for the name recognition boost at the polls. It's not like they are all that ideologically pure.

I don't think of her as a religious person (which is another good thing, if true), so I'm guessing she wouldn't fit @Hoosierhawkeye's party (the name of which eludes me).

Maybe she could revive the Ross Perot independent party. Is it still around? Or just run as a flat out Independent.

She's white enough for the South, but not noticeably racist.

Which party would be a better fit? She's a Big Oil, pro-corporate, tax-cutting con who votes with the Rs we'll over 90% and has a solid con rating. She almost makes Manchin look acceptable. So not the Dems.

Obviously not the Greens.

Nor the Libertarians, either. Too pro war, pro globalization (NAFTA and WTO, and so on). Although the Libertarians might be happy to have her - just for the name recognition boost at the polls. It's not like they are all that ideologically pure.

I don't think of her as a religious person (which is another good thing, if true), so I'm guessing she wouldn't fit @Hoosierhawkeye's party (the name of which eludes me).

Maybe she could revive the Ross Perot independent party. Is it still around? Or just run as a flat out Independent.

She's white enough for the South, but not noticeably racist.

American Solidarity Party

She needs to resign from that committee and get out to Wyoming to campaign. She may feel an obligation, but she is the only member basing her participation on any sort of moral code. The rest are opportunists, and she does not fit character wise as it is.

She still has a Republican philosophy and belief system; she believes in smaller government, a muscular military capability, and an activist foreign policy.

People in Wyoming are skeptical of her Washington D.C. upbringing and my hunch is that she barely knows anyone in Wyoming. That is a state where everyone in the state considers that they are personal friends with their Washington representatives. Her dad has that connection. She does not.

She has to take time off from the January 6th frameup and get out there and campaign ... hard.

It would help if she could get her dad to participate.

Last edited:
Thanks. What would you think if Cheney wanted to run for president for the ASP? Good fit?

Not likely, she is likely economically conservative and ok with entrenching more corporate power.

We believe in economic distributionism (The idea that most people should have an ownership stake in the way they make a living.)

One thing I have noticed is that Dems never complain about the fact the Vermont, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Delaware, and Hawaii control 10% of the Senate despite collectively comprising less than 1.7% of the nation’s population.

For some reason this doesn’t seem to bother them.

One thing I have noticed is that Dems never complain about the fact the Vermont, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Delaware, and Hawaii control 10% of the Senate despite collectively comprising less than 1.7% of the nation’s population.

It bothers us just as much as Montana. It is absolutely undemocratic that one person's vote counts more than another person's simply because of the state where they reside.

Bullshit!

We lefties object to all such anti-democratic arrangements. Of course we focus on those that create the most harm for America.

Please stop lying about Dem positions.

Reactions: cigaretteman

Kind of like how the Republicans defend the Electoral college by stoking fears of the largest and the 4th largest state (Cali and NY) ruling over all of us and neglecting to mention the 2nd and 3rd largest states (TX & FL)

That is fair, but it's also fair to recognize that when it comes to states with small populations the Republicans have the advantage numerically speaking.

Lets look at states with 10 or less electoral votes. I am excluding DC because this is a senatorial discussion.

R's have

Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
Utah
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
South Carolina
Alaska
Iowa
West Virginia

D's have

Delaware
Vermont
New Hampshire
Connecticut
Maine
Nevada
Hawaii
Minnesota
Rhode Island

So that's 18 states for Republicans or 36 senators and 9 states or 18 senators for Dems with Wisconsin as a swing state.

Note that Maine has a moderate Republican senator and West Virginia has a moderate Dem senator but the point is in the trend and not the occasional exception.

Kind of like how the Republicans defend the Electoral college by stoking fears of the largest and the 4th largest state (Cali and NY) ruling over all of us and neglecting to mention the 2nd and 3rd largest states (TX & FL)

That is fair, but it's also fair to recognize that when it comes to states with small populations the Republicans have the advantage numerically speaking.

Lets look at states with 10 or less electoral votes. I am excluding DC because this is a senatorial discussion.

R's have

Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
Utah
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
South Carolina
Alaska
Iowa
West Virginia

D's have

Delaware
Vermont
New Hampshire
Connecticut
Maine
Nevada
Hawaii
Minnesota
Rhode Island

So that's 18 states for Republicans or 36 senators and 9 states or 18 senators for Dems.

Note that Maine has a moderate Republican senator and West Virginia has a moderate Dem senator but the point is in the trend and not the occasional exception.
Thanks for doing the work.

Folks like @TJ8869 know this in broad strokes. They'd rather lie.

And just in case anyone missed it, let me reiterate ciggy's point: we lefties don't oppose the EC or the structure of the Senate because Rs have more of these small states, but because the principle of this apportionment is fundamentally undemocratic (small d).

R's have

Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
Utah
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
South Carolina
Alaska
Iowa
West Virginia

D's have

Delaware
Vermont
New Hampshire
Connecticut
Maine
Nevada
Hawaii
Minnesota
Rhode Island

So that's 18 states for Republicans or 36 senators and 9 states or 18 senators for Dems with Wisconsin as a swing state.

The only thing wrong with the EC is with the winner take all policy at the State level. Follow Nebraska's lead.

The only thing wrong with the EC is with the winner take all policy at the State level. Follow Nebraska's lead.
That would help, but it wouldn't do away with the problem of one person's vote counting for more than another person's simply due to where they happen to live.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
It bothers us just as much as Montana. It is absolutely undemocratic that one person's vote counts more than another person's simply because of the state where they reside.

Thanks for doing the work.

Folks like @TJ8869 know this in broad strokes. They'd rather lie.

And just in case anyone missed it, let me reiterate ciggy's point: we lefties don't oppose the EC or the structure of the Senate because Rs have more of these small states, but because the principle of this apportionment is fundamentally undemocratic (small d).
I can post dozens of examples of Dems complaining about Wyoming or the Dakotas or Montana. Can either of you cite even one example of Dems complaining about Vermont or New Hampshire or Delaware or Hawaii or Rhode Island?

Just one from any point in the past 7 years?

Reactions: DooBii
That would help, but it wouldn't do away with the problem of one person's vote counting for more than another person's simply due to where they happen to live.
And putting it in the hands of New York and California would? A Republican in California might as well not vote at all, you want that on a national level. **** you very much please.

And putting it in the hands of New York and California would? A Republican in California might as well not vote at all, you want that on a national level. **** you very much please.

How would it "put it all in the hands of California and New York??

Cali has 39 million, NY has just shy of 20 million.

Combined they have 59 million. The whole country has 330 million people. Texas and Florida have 51 million people between them.

In an national popular vote the Republican in Cali should vote because his vote would actually you know COUNT. Whereas right now his vote doesn't count on the national level because in the state he voted in he's out voted.

I can post dozens of examples of Dems complaining about Wyoming or the Dakotas or Montana. Can either of you cite even one example of Dems complaining about Vermont or New Hampshire or Delaware or Hawaii or Rhode Island?

Just one from any point in the past 7 years?
I am one of the people who repeatedly complains about it because it is the reason why we have minority rule in this country. Something is fundamentally broken when you have presidents “winning“ elections although they lose the popular vote by millions of votes. Or when a majority or super majority of Americans wants a particular policy, but it gets killed in a Senate that is dominated by red states senators do specifically to the fact that the Senate is designed to be a minority rule body. It was designed that way to accommodate the southern slave states and is written into the constitution, and that is one of the reasons why the constitution is so fundamentally flawed it will kill our democracy itself, and already is.

anyone who believes in democracy believes in minority rights but majority rule. It is not right that estate like Rhode Island has two senators and the state California only has two senators. Or Wyoming. Or any of the states that have small populations.

And Washington DC deserves representation. As does Puerto Rico. Anyone who argues against this doesn’t believe in democracy, and instead, believes in white supremacy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT