ADVERTISEMENT

Logan Jones #65

TJFant

HR All-State
Oct 1, 2019
Interesting the day of the Spring scrimmage he is wearing Linderbaum's old number. He was 68 all Spring, so maybe his jersey was damaged. Or is this possibly a sign that number 65 will be the Hawks' starting center for 6 straight years? Or maybe this is just to confuse Frosty into believing that Tyler didn't go to the NFL after all?

Interesting the day of the Spring scrimmage he is wearing Linderbaum's old number. He was 68 all Spring, so maybe his jersey was damaged. Or is this possibly a sign that number 65 will be the Hawks' starting center for 6 straight years? Or maybe this is just to confuse Frosty into believing that Tyler didn't go to the NFL after all?
Yeah, he plans to wear #65. Said today that he texted Linderbaum to get his permission first.

Really happy Jones made the switch. I believe he was the top recruit from his class and was known for being a freak strength wise.

it makes perfect sense he’d end up at center. Smaller guy who can really move and possess crazy strength.

Reactions: BEAVERDALEHAWK
Really happy Jones made the switch. I believe he was the top recruit from his class and was known for being a freak strength wise.

it makes perfect sense he’d end up at center. Smaller guy who can really move and possess crazy strength.
I talked to him during Spring break while he was working out at the local Y. He said he was right at 285 and planned to be at 290 for the season, so he isn't small but looks a little smaller because he really doesn't have any discernable body fat on him like most linemen do. Definitely very chiseled! In watching the Olines in the highlights from Saturday it appeared that Jones was lower and quicker off the ball than Elsbury or Fagan. Elsbury is 20 pounds heavier and a couple inches taller and he was higher and slower at getting off the ball. I don't profess to be an Oline guru but my guess is it will be a competition between Jones and Myslinski come August for the center position.

I talked to him during Spring break while he was working out at the local Y. He said he was right at 285 and planned to be at 290 for the season, so he isn't small but looks a little smaller because he really doesn't have any discernable body fat on him like most linemen do. Definitely very chiseled! In watching the Olines in the highlights from Saturday it appeared that Jones was lower and quicker off the ball than Elsbury or Fagan. Elsbury is 20 pounds heavier and a couple inches taller and he was higher and slower at getting off the ball. I don't profess to be an Oline guru but my guess is it will be a competition between Jones and Myslinski come August for the center position.
I got to believe that Elsbury is practicing there in case of future emergency. Much more likely that Elsbury competes for a starting spot at Guard and I could see him as back-up at Tackle. He should get a lot more snaps this year.

I got to believe that Elsbury is practicing there in case of future emergency. Much more likely that Elsbury competes for a starting spot at Guard and I could see him as back-up at Tackle. He should get a lot more snaps this year.
I would surmise that is likely correct. I would also guess that they were hoping that Elsbury's wrestling background might translate. Wrestling guys tend to understand the importance of leverage and being low. However, on the flip side, I'm willing to bet that Elsbury probably played further out on the line in high school ... and the action isn't quite as fast on the edges as it is on the interior. Furthermore, guys on the outside often acquire the bad habit of playing lower and more upright than they should.

But yeah ... overall, he likely was getting reps at C to help build depth at the position ... in case the position "took" ... and in order to have extra contingency plans.

I think he is going to win it and then Elsbury will be at guard. Hope Britt can actually get healthy.

I think Elsbury and Stephens, and definitely Colby and Richman, have moved past Britt, who plays well but misses so many games he's become kind of disruptive to cohesion on the line.

Always thought Ince and Britt would become really outstanding linemen, but their careers were destroyed by injuries. The Ince/Britt injuries created more team damage because it ultimately forced a reliance on younger kids where experience is unusually important. The injuries are just shitty luck all the way around.

Reactions: grayhair81
The Iowa coaches at the time Elsbury was in hs thought he was one of the best in the midwest. He will be a factor on the inside this year and probably starts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT