ADVERTISEMENT

Logan Ryan is out

Depends on the situation. Letting him back on the team after the legal issues only to have him leave might be a factor not sure. Maybe they feel UNI stepped over the line to try and get him there. Hard to tell really.

WTF is up with this inconsistency? Denying release is not a good look for the program or institution.
Heard this rationale in another thread and I think it could very well apply: "TnT didn't owe him anything after being reinstated to the team. If he wanted to go elsewhere he had the opportunity to do so, but he came back to Iowa. He didn't earn dictating his own terms this time around."

Not saying I agree or disagree with it but I can understand the rationale behind this one.

Reactions: MitchL
I'm not trying to be a Spooner, but if you feel this strongly why do you continue to hang out here on HR? BWI would welcome you with open arms should you decide to take your talents to the F** board.

Now now, they are truly scumbags over there. I'm just bidding my time until PD3 gets kicked off the team.

WTF is up with this inconsistency? Denying release is not a good look for the program or institution.
I agree. But, a few reasons went into this one. The whole burglary thing and the amount of work and commitment it took on the coaches end to get logan wrestling again is a big part of it.
I guess the way I see it is that when a wrestler commits to a coach, the coach commits to the wrestler. It works both ways. Each have to hold up their end, and Ryan was given many chances.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
I'm going to make it easy for Brands, so if he ever thinks, "Damn, I wish Tarp would tell me how to coach," he'll have all my insights here in one place:

1. Recruit only top-10 P4P guys.
2. Don't make them show you how badly they want you. Show them how badly you want them.
3. Whether they go to church and live a clean life should only be a deciding factor between two similarly talented recruits.
4. Have a detailed, weight-by-weight strategic plan for how you intend to score >130 points at NCCAs every year until hell freezes over. Review progress toward the plan every month, so that you're never caught by surprise with, for example, no 125 or 133 pounders. (Just a hypothetical example, as we all know that could never happen in real life.)
5. Maintain a strong freestyle club whose goal is to generate Olympic champs.
6. Wrestle a tough schedule that does not include community colleges, online colleges, or refrigerator repair schools.
7. If someone wants to transfer, shake their hand and give them a release.
8. When in doubt, ask "What would Tarp do?" He is always right at least 49% of the time.

I'm going to make it easy for Brands, so if he ever thinks, "Damn, I wish Tarp would tell me how to coach," he'll have all my insights here in one place:

2. Don't make them show you how badly they want you. Show them how badly you want them.
3. Whether they go to church and live a clean life should only be a deciding factor between two similarly talented recruits.
4. Have a detailed, weight-by-weight strategic plan for how you intend to score >130 points at NCCAs every year until hell freezes over. Review progress toward the plan every month, so that you're never caught by surprise with, for example, no 125 or 133 pounders. (Just a hypothetical example, as we all know that could never happen in real life.)
6. Wrestle a tough schedule that does not include community colleges, online colleges, or refrigerator repair schools.
8. When in doubt, ask "What would Tarp do?" He is always right at least 83% of the time.

FIFY

8. When in doubt, ask "What would Tarp do?" He is always right at least 49% of the time.

Could be a small and thin lineup some years with that priority.

Top 10 p4p or top 3 in their weight class. Everyone else can walk on.

Reactions: Wink8

A strong "like" for #2.

I'm not trying to be a Spooner, but if you feel this strongly why do you continue to hang out here on HR? BWI would welcome you with open arms should you decide to take your talents to the F** board.

No thanks. He can start his own board with 21 guns.

Reactions: slushhead

I don't think poorly of a school that denies a release. It is within their rights and prerogative. I do have a problem if said school lies or misleads prior to denial.

I stopped reading after the silliness of #1. Maybe there was good stuff after that, IDK.

I don't think poorly of a school that denies a release. It is within their rights and prerogative. I do have a problem if said school lies or misleads prior to denial.
Well I think poorly of them. Life is just too damn short to keep a guy who doesn't want to be there. It's not about the coaches rights or prerogative or ego. It's about what serves the program, the university, and the wrestlers.
I agree with Tarp: "If someone wants to transfer, shake their hand and give them a release." Then fill their spot with an even better recruit.

Well I think poorly of them. Life is just too damn short to keep a guy who doesn't want to be there. It's not about the coaches rights or prerogative or ego. It's about what serves the program, the university, and the wrestlers.
I agree with Tarp: "If someone wants to transfer, shake their hand and give them a release." Then fill their spot with an even better recruit.

That's fine. And I respect that point of view. Just understand the whole world doesn't agree.

Ha, I think he tried BWI for a Day a couple of weeks back and was promptly banned.

Lol @ #6.

I would always grant conditional releases. I would never grant a release to a school that I am competing against that has a realistic chance of beating my team. So, basically at Iowa that would be PSU, tOSU, OSU and VT, that's about it. I would grant releases to non-starters to every other program in the country most years.

Reactions: artradley
"If you have never transferred from a four-year school and are not planning to compete at a new Division I school in the sports of football, baseball, basketball and men’s ice hockey (see additional rules for football, baseball, basketball and men’s ice hockey below on this page), you may request use of a one-time transfer exception to compete immediately at a Division I or Division II school. To qualify for this exception, you must meet all the following conditions:
• You are in good academic standing and are making progress toward your degree at your current school.
• You would have been considered academically eligible to compete had you stayed at your current school.
• You have a written release agreement from your current school stating it does not object to you receiving a transfer exception"

"If you have never transferred from a four-year school and are not planning to compete at a new Division I school in the sports of football, baseball, basketball and men’s ice hockey (see additional rules for football, baseball, basketball and men’s ice hockey below on this page), you may request use of a one-time transfer exception to compete immediately at a Division I or Division II school. To qualify for this exception, you must meet all the following conditions:
• You are in good academic standing and are making progress toward your degree at your current school.
• You would have been considered academically eligible to compete had you stayed at your current school.
• You have a written release agreement from your current school stating it does not object to you receiving a transfer exception"
Yah, I don't believe you need a release if you comply with the one time transfer rules.

I stopped reading after the silliness of #1. Maybe there was good stuff after that, IDK.

My thought is that there should be 4-5 full ride scholarship wrestlers on the team at all time. The balance can be divided up into .5-.25 offers.

That seems to be the direction Brands is going of late rather than hoarding 20-100 p4p talent and missing on the top tier.

Yes, I would rather have gotten Snyder than Holloway, Valencia than Wilcke, McKenna than Turk and Happel, and Hall than Logan Ryan...if that's what you define as evaluation of talent vs. trusting recruiting gurus.

Why would anyone define evaluation of talent that way? Also, bonus points for specifically picking the best of the best top ten, instead of any of the others you could have, almost like you only wanted to defend your ridiculous point, at all costs.

Sorry to hear that you don't trust the judgment of the Iowa coaches (even though they certainly wanted Snyder and Hall too, of course).

My thought is that there should be 4-5 full ride scholarship wrestlers on the team at all time. The balance can be divided up into .5-.25 offers.

That seems to be the direction Brands is going of late rather than hoarding 20-100 p4p talent and missing on the top tier.

This might be about right. Sounds good in theory to me anyway. But it's a far cry from "recruit only top 10 p4p wrestlers." Not even PSU can do that.

This might be about right. Sounds good in theory to me anyway. But it's a far cry from "recruit only top 10 p4p wrestlers." Not even PSU can do that.

Oh yeah - they recruit 5-6 top 5 p4p, when they arrive on campus they are downgraded to developmental projects, then they hit the mat and win a championship and Cael's a genius. After two years they go to work scrubbing mats at the NLWC, Cael recruits more top 5s "developmental" mat scrubbers, Cael remains a genius, somebody drops $5 million in Cael's mail box, Cael get more scrubbers and so on. Really twisted stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT