Total deaths- 91,774
C/D ratio- 3.2%

Everyone else:
Cases confirmed- 3,992,036
Total deaths- 109,426
C/D ratio- 2.7%

Conclusion: @aristotleiowa @Joes Place ............Play ball! :cool:

LOLWUT?

We're not going to see the "post labor day" outcomes for deaths until ~October. Labor Day was just over 1 week ago. We've consistently seen 2-3 week lags in cases from spreader events, and >3 week lags for deaths.

And, as I've already posted, we've been running 5000-7000 deaths/week now since April (aside from a 3 week stint where they fell to ~4000) back in June - which, per your logic here, was the 'fallout period' from Floyd protests). 5000 deaths/wk will put us at 270,000 by the end of 2020. If we remain at the running average since June of 6800/wk, we could hit 300,000. In the thread I posted this in, I took the "under" at >250,000 by 12/31/2020.

This thread won't go unnoticed. Expect a goal post to get moved along with a wet blanket very soon.

And I can promise you JP wasn't wrong....ever.

U should go back and read all the MAGA posts when I projected >2000 deaths and >150,000 cases by 3/31; when we had "just" a few hundred cases and your ilk called it "scaremongering". Now, those are about half our current weekly totals.

Cases confirmed- 6,822,869
Total deaths- 201,200
C/D ratio- 2.95%

Top 5 worst states:
Cases confirmed- 2,830,833
Total deaths- 91,774
C/D ratio- 3.2%

Everyone else:
Cases confirmed- 3,992,036
Total deaths- 109,426
C/D ratio- 2.7%

Conclusion: @aristotleiowa @Joes Place ............Play ball! :cool:

11692956943_24e0fb4c4b_o.gif

Lol, do you know how PCR works?
Well according to The NY Times article and the infectious diseases doctor quoted the pcr test is unreliable and the amplification is highly questionable

maybe you should read the article instead of babbling

Well according to The NY Times article and the infectious diseases doctor quoted the pcr test is unreliable and the amplification is highly questionable

maybe you should read the article instead of babbling
Why would I waste my time on some bs?

I'm not even trying to get involved in this thread, but I will say where I live (SW Wisconsin) new records daily cases are being set daily. School was in person for 5 whole minutes before everybody got the virus and went all virtual, and plague rats (college kids) are running wild in the streets.

I'm not even trying to get involved in this thread, but I will say where I live (SW Wisconsin) new records daily cases are being set daily. School was in person for 5 whole minutes before everybody got the virus and went all virtual, and plague rats (college kids) are running wild in the streets.
How many hospitalizations?

zero

Reactions: Hammer93

My sister lives in WI and works in a school w/ special needs kids.

Says it's a mess. WorldOMeters confirms her observations.

90% false positive? No.
You linked something you didn't understand.
I’m guessing he meant 90% sensitive but even that’s low for PCR. Everyone was talking about how low the sensitivity rate for the antibody test is and they are a lot higher than I was expecting, depending on the machine and methodology. Ours is over 95%.

As of sept 8th Brown Univ epidemiologist tracked 26000 university students who tested positive for covid 19

there were Zero hospitalizations

Reactions: Hammer93
How many hospitalizations?

zero

IDK, I know you don't either.

I did personally talk to somebody from NE Iowa who lost both her parents to covid and couldn't even say good bye in person.

edit: I looked it up as of last week we had 57 total hospitalizations. It was zero for the first 4 or 5 months though.

Last edited:
As of sept 8th Brown Univ epidemiologist tracked 26000 university students who tested positive for covid 19

there were Zero hospitalizations
Do you think everyone with Covid needs to stay in the hospital? Especially younger generally healthy people like students?

“The hospitalization rate in 18-30yr olds is really very low. But it’s absolutely not zero,” Dr. Cameron Wolfe, Associate Professor of Medicine at Duke University and infectious disease expert, told The National Interest in an email interview. “So I doubt the tables presented in [Bostom’s chart], in fact I know them to be incorrect. Apart from individual cases that I’m aware of from colleagues, for example, if you take UNC near where I work, their dashboard doesn’t list hospitalizations. So just because they don’t report them doesn’t mean they’re not occurring.”

In Wisconsin, it is 441 20-29 year olds who have been hospitalized.
If we tack on the 10-19 yr olds, it's 559.

Meanwhile....in Maine...

One wedding in Maine is linked to 176 infections and the deaths of 7 people who didn't even attend

A wedding in Maine is linked to 176 Covid-19 cases and the deaths of seven people who didn't attend the celebration, demonstrating just how easily and quickly the virus can spread at social gatherings, public health experts say.

As officials continue to push preventive measures, such as wearing masks and practicing social distancing to keep infection rates low, they also have been vocal in warning against large gatherings.

But Americans have continued to congregate, leading to outbreaks tied to a number of events, from Memorial Day and Fourth of July celebrations to a massive motorcycle rally in Sturgis, South Dakota.

The wedding held in Millinocket on August 7 had about 65 guests, in violation of the state's 50-person cap for indoor events, Maine CDC said.

The event is linked to outbreaks that have unfolded at a nursing home and a jail, both more than 100 miles away from the wedding venue, and among people who had only secondary or tertiary contact with an attendee.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...16-20-intl/h_4f8ea55c46f32eadc0d466ce25912945

#UnintendedConsequences

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found.
On Thursday, the United States recorded 45,604 new coronavirus cases, according to a database maintained by The Times. If the rates of contagiousness in Massachusetts and New York were to apply nationwide, then perhaps only 4,500 of those people may actually need to isolate and submit to contact tracing.

One solution would be to adjust the cycle threshold used now to decide that a patient is infected. Most tests set the limit at 40, a few at 37. This means that you are positive for the coronavirus if the test process required up to 40 cycles, or 37, to detect the virus.
Tests with thresholds so high may detect not just live virus but also genetic fragments, leftovers from infection that pose no particular risk — akin to finding a hair in a room long after a person has left, Dr. Mina said.
Editors’ Picks
The Secret History of America’s Only WWII Refugee Camp
Why Are We in the West So Weird? A Theory
Why Are Men Still Explaining Things to Women?
Continue reading the main story

ADVERTISEMENT

Any test with a cycle threshold above 35 is too sensitive, agreed Juliet Morrison, a virologist at the University of California, Riverside. “I’m shocked that people would think that 40 could represent a positive,” she said.

CORONAVIRUS SCHOOLS BRIEFING: It’s back to school — or is it?
A more reasonable cutoff would be 30 to 35, she added. Dr. Mina said he would set the figure at 30, or even less. Those changes would mean the amount of genetic material in a patient’s sample would have to be 100-fold to 1,000-fold that of the current standard for the test to return a positive result — at least, one worth acting on.

“It’s just kind of mind-blowing to me that people are not recording the C.T. values from all these tests, that they’re just returning a positive or a negative,” one virologist said.Credit...Erin Schaff/The New York Times
The Food and Drug Administration said in an emailed statement that it does not specify the cycle threshold ranges used to determine who is positive, and that “commercial manufacturers and laboratories set their own.”
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it is examining the use of cycle threshold measures “for policy decisions.” The agency said it would need to collaborate with the F.D.A. and with device manufacturers to ensure the measures “can be used properly and with assurance that we know what they mean.”
The C.D.C.’s own calculations suggest that it is extremely difficult to detect any live virus in a sample above a threshold of 33 cycles. Officials at some state labs said the C.D.C. had not asked them to note threshold values or to share them with contact-tracing organizations.
For example, North Carolina’s state lab uses the Thermo Fisher coronavirus test, which automatically classifies results based on a cutoff of 37 cycles. A spokeswoman for the lab said testers did not have access to the precise numbers.
ADVERTISEMENT

This amounts to an enormous missed opportunity to learn more about the disease, some experts said.
“It’s just kind of mind-blowing to me that people are not recording the C.T. values from all these tests — that they’re just returning a positive or a negative,” said Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at Columbia University in New York.
“It would be useful information to know if somebody’s positive, whether they have a high viral load or a low viral load,” she added.
Officials at the Wadsworth Center, New York’s state lab, have access to C.T. values from tests they have processed, and analyzed their numbers at The Times’s request. In July, the lab identified 872 positive tests, based on a threshold of 40 cycles.
With a cutoff of 35, about 43 percent of those tests would no longer qualify as positive. About 63 percent would no longer be judged positive if the cycles were limited to 30.
In Massachusetts, from 85 to 90 percent of people who tested positive in July with a cycle threshold of 40 would have been deemed negative if the threshold were 30 cycles, Dr. Mina said. “I would say that none of those people should be contact-traced, not one,” he said.
Other experts informed of these numbers were stunned.

“I’m really shocked that it could be that high — the proportion of people with high C.T. value results,” said Dr. Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute. “Boy, does it really change the way we need to be thinking about testing.”
Dr. Jha said he had thought of the PCR test as a problem because it cannot scale to the volume, frequency or speed of tests needed. “But what I am realizing is that a really substantial part of the problem is that we’re not even testing the people who we need to be testing,” he said.
ADVERTISEMENT

The number of people with positive results who aren’t infectious is particularly concerning, said Scott Becker, executive director of the Association of Public Health Laboratories. “That worries me a lot, just because it’s so high,” he said, adding that the organization intended to meet with Dr. Mina to discuss the issue.
The F.D.A. noted that people may have a low viral load when they are newly infected. A test with less sensitivity would miss these infections.
But that problem is easily solved, Dr. Mina said: “Test them again, six hours later or 15 hours later or whatever,” he said. A rapid test would find these patients quickly, even if it were less sensitive, because their viral loads would quickly rise.
PCR tests still have a role, he and other experts said. For example, their sensitivity is an asset when identifying newly infected people to enroll in clinical trials of drugs.
But with 20 percent or more of people testing positive for the virus in some parts of the country, Dr. Mina and other researchers are questioning the use of PCR tests as a frontline diagnostic tool.
People infected with the virus are most infectious from a day or two before symptoms appear till about five days after. But at the current testing rates, “you’re not going to be doing it frequently enough to have any chance of really capturing somebody in that window,” Dr. Mina added.
Highly sensitive PCR tests seemed like the best option for tracking the coronavirus at the start of the pandemic. But for the outbreaks raging now, he said, what’s needed are coronavirus tests that are fast, cheap and abundant enough to frequently test everyone who needs it — even if the tests are less sensitive.
ADVERTISEMENT

“It might not catch every last one of the transmitting people, but it sure will catch the most transmissible people, including the superspreaders,” Dr. Mina said. “That alone would drive epidemics practically to zero.”

Wisconsin's DHS knows

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/cases.htm

6454 cumulative hospitalizations, to date.

That is the most misleading non-informative article of all times. It uses...he said and she said to make every point of, there has to be some hospitalized. It basically says we've heard of one here and heard of one there, but nobody has a factual instance that a person was hospitalized due "strictly" to the virus. I have no doubt there have some students who have visited the hospital and maybe spent a night or two. Most likely. But, there is not a single example that I have seen (please randomly post a odd ball article from some unknown author) of a healthy college kid being severely hospitalized. Definitely not more then a few.

That is the most misleading non-informative article of all times. It uses...he said and she said to make every point of, there has to be some hospitalized. It basically says we've heard of one here and heard of one there, but nobody has a factual instance that a person was hospitalized due "strictly" to the virus. I have no doubt there have some students who have visited the hospital and maybe spent a night or two. Most likely. But, there is not a single example that I have seen (please randomly post a odd ball article from some unknown author) of a healthy college kid being severely hospitalized. Definitely not more then a few.

Which happens first?

A. Trump shows humility
B. Joe's Place admits he's wrong
C. Unicorns

I have seen (please randomly post a odd ball article from some unknown author) of a healthy college kid being severely hospitalized. Definitely not more then a few.

University of Indiana called. Said you should Google "IU Freshman Lineman covid"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT