ADVERTISEMENT

"Longest-tenured head coach in America"

chodehawk

HR MVP
Oct 9, 2016
I imagine this is serving as an advantage in regards to recruiting efforts, as we are obviously the only program in the country who can say that.

Does that help pique the interest of young recruits and their moms n' pops? - You bet your ass it does. Hoping the staff is really footstomping that message on the recruiting trail for as long as KF is here.

It does...to a point. "He's not gonna be around much longer"...is no doubt an angle other schools use.
Paterno, Bowden, Bear Bryant, LaVell Edwards, Frank Beamer, Tom Osborne...not many of those guy, especially in the 21st century. KFz is 63, don't see him coaching til he's 70. (which is what a class of 2020 recruit would be looking at). But ya never know.

He is under contract through 2026 that covers up to at least the 2021 class and that’s if they redshirted and stuck around till their “5th” year. I don’t think college coaches would be able to use that argument. Especially his coaching is not even remotely under fire while Bart’s is the AD

It does...to a point. "He's not gonna be around much longer"...is no doubt an angle other schools use.

I think the saving grace of this issue is that, with 2 head coaches in 40 years and essentially no philosophical changes to the program over that time, kids who come to Iowa are committing to the program as much as they are committing to the coach. Whoever the next head coach is will likely run the program and have an X's & O's game very similarly to the previous 2 guys. There are a lot of programs that do a complete 180 in multiple regards when the next guy comes in (usually the A.D.'s compensation for the previous bad hire).

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
He is under contract through 2026 that covers up to at least the 2021 class and that’s if they redshirted and stuck around till their “5th” year. I don’t think college coaches would be able to use that argument. Especially his coaching is not even remotely under fire while Bart’s is the AD

I agree. I believe our program has a window of opportunity right now.

"Under contract til"...doesn't mean s***. He can retire anytime he wants. No doubt he's under no pressure w Barta in the AD chair (ackk!). But that's irrelevant. If he decides he's had enough, he'll step away...regardless of contract length.

Come on, man. The Iowa Hawkeyes just had 2 players taken in
1st round of NFL draft...............4 in the Top 4 rounds.

If a kid and his parents cannot figure out that the
IOWA Football program is one of best at developing top notch
Football players/young men, then, I'm not sure that we want
those folks.....the Hawkeyes are now on top and can be
selective. GO HAWKS !!! :)

I have no idea when KF will hang it up. With our inherit challenges in recruiting I feel he has done a very creditable job and we are very fortunate to have him.

I think the saving grace of this issue is that, with 2 head coaches in 40 years and essentially no philosophical changes to the program over that time, kids who come to Iowa are committing to the program as much as they are committing to the coach. Whoever the next head coach is will likely run the program and have an X's & O's game very similarly to the previous 2 guys. There are a lot of programs that do a complete 180 in multiple regards when the next guy comes in (usually the A.D.'s compensation for the previous bad hire).

I'm not sure that I'd entirely agree on "no philosophical changes" between Hayden and Kirk, but on the whole I think you've got the right point here - Iowa is stable, and whatever comes after Kirk will probably be pretty similar.

I'm not sure that I'd entirely agree on "no philosophical changes" between Hayden and Kirk, but on the whole I think you've got the right point here - Iowa is stable, and whatever comes after Kirk will probably be pretty similar.

Yeah, I guess my point was that Iowa's next coach is not going to be Mike Leach or Paul Johnson.

Mary said he will coach until he’s 70. 6 more years, probably.

Possible scenario is Phil Parker is named as Coach in waiting. Brian takes a head coaching job in the MAC to train for being a head coach. Parker is probably 55-ish right now, so maybe he gets a 5-year window and then Brian comes back at that point.

Possible scenario is Phil Parker is named as Coach in waiting. Brian takes a head coaching job in the MAC to train for being a head coach. Parker is probably 55-ish right now, so maybe he gets a 5-year window and then Brian comes back at that point.

I have to believe Kirk is laying the groundwork for Brian to take over in the next five to seven years, or when he feels the time is right to transition to Brian as HC.

Don’t think it will happen until Brian’s offense is top 30-40, has a very good reign on it and the fan base won’t revolt like they would right now with an offense in the 90-120 range. Then Phil can transition one of the younger guys to take over the defense with the growing number of younger coaches on staff as they continue the youth movement for a mild transition, not affect recruiting negatively too. There will be no lame duck issue like with Dr Tom, Kirk will do what Bob Stoops did and retire end of a June as the school fiscal year ends. 2025 is my guess.

Cool. What did ya'll have for dinner that night? Is she a good cook?

A guy who has been a college assistant for 30+ years suddenly deciding to take a head coaching gig from which he knows he will be shown the door in 5 or so years is about as unlikely a scenario as I can imagine.

Paterno, Bowden, Bear Bryant, LaVell Edwards, Frank Beamer, Tom Osborne...not many of those guy, especially in the 21st century. KFz is 63, don't see him coaching til he's 70. (which is what a class of 2020 recruit would be looking at). But ya never know.
You only need to go back to Hayden's final years.That is why here in the next few years Iowa should be proactive and announce its succession plan.

You only need to go back to Hayden's final years.That is why here in the next few years Iowa should be proactive and announce its succession plan.
You mean like 97 when we were ranked early in the top ten, almost beat national champ michigan on the road, and were as good as most Kirk teams? K. There was one bad season when Hayden was concealing cancer in 98. Lines were depleted but Hayden still left a lot of NFL talent. Kirk's complete lack of name recognition and decision to finish out losing Ravens season instead of diving into recruiting are just as big of reasons 99 and 00 were as brutal as they were

You mean like 97 when we were ranked early in the top ten, almost beat national champ michigan on the road, and were as good as most Kirk teams? K. There was one bad season when Hayden was concealing cancer in 98. Lines were depleted but Hayden still left a lot of NFL talent. Kirk's complete lack of name recognition and decision to finish out losing Ravens season instead of diving into recruiting are just as big of reasons 99 and 00 were as brutal as they were

Most of the NFL talent you are talking about were FR/SO in 1999. You can look at historic draft picks to see lack of talent between 1999-2001 and then a huge uptick after that.

Dude, if you seriously don't think Hayden left the cupboard bare on his way out, I don't know what to tell you. And KF finished up the season with his NFL team just like every single coach hired away from the NFL to be a college head coach prior to the NFL season being over does.

Dude, if you seriously don't think Hayden left the cupboard bare on his way out, I don't know what to tell you. And KF finished up the season with his NFL team just like every single coach hired away from the NFL to be a college head coach prior to the NFL season being over does.
The cupboard on the player side was bare, but don't forget the coaches he lost. He was left on a island.

ADVERTISEMENT