ADVERTISEMENT

Look out for JBO

Longgrover1

Team MVP
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2018
I think it is possible that JBO has his best season ever. His hips should be healed. This may be the first season he has been healthy in a long time. Also, by playing the 2, a lot of his ball handling and play making responsibilities will be lifted. He can concentrate on what he does best. Shoot.

I think it is possible that JBO has his best season ever. His hips should be healed. This may be the first season he has been healthy in a long time. Also, by playing the 2, a lot of his ball handling and play making responsibilities will be lifted. He can concentrate on what he does best. Shoot.
Honestly, I think J-Bo will be the deciding factor for this seasons success.

This year feels alot like 2016-17. That year we had almost the entire production leave from the year prior, and only had one proven guy (Jok) on the team. 8 of our top 10 scorers were underclassmen. Jok carried the team at times and gave the young guys breathing room to find their footing. Pretty successful season for a rebuilding year and the team was a nose-hair away from the NCAA tournament.

Now Bohannon ain't jok. Not nearly as athletic and he's not capable of averaging 19 ppg. But young teams struggle the most down the stretch of games, get sloppy, miss FTs. If J-BO can knock down some clutch 3's, keep his composure handling the ball, and knock down Free Throws in the final few minutes of a game, it will be absolutely invaluable. If he can produce, and the young guys come around, this team has a shot at the tourney.

Last edited:
My honest concern is the offensive will revolve to much around trying to get him shots, the young guys will defer too often rather than getting the experience they need to reach their potential.

If he's a focal point of the offense it won't be good. If he can play a complimentary role as a floor spacer and not force things it could work out.

I do like the idea of him shooting allot of transition 3s with a more athletic faster team to push the pace.

My honest concern is the offensive will revolve to much around trying to get him shots, the young guys will defer too often rather than getting the experience they need to reach their potential.

If he's a focal point of the offense it won't be good. If he can play a complimentary role as a floor spacer and not force things it could work out.

I do like the idea of him shooting allot of transition 3s with a more athletic faster team to push the pace.

I don't think the young guys will defer at all

I see him playing a Jeff Moe type role. Moe made a living off of shooting the trailing 3 on the fast break and throwing in bombs from the corner on ball reversals. I also think his defensive liabilities won’t be as noticeable because he will be surrounded by quicker and more athletic guys than last year. And he can play 20 minutes hard without getting fatigued.

Hard to imagine him not starting, but he would be most effective as an "instant offense" 6th man. Kind of like Jeff Moe as Mohawkeye mentioned. He will likely have a bigger role than Moe, given our relative inexperience but he will be especially valuable late in games (last 5 minutes). Our offense will be radically different without Luka, with much more balance.

Point guard really should be dominated by Joe T/Ulis.
Two and "three" guard will be split amongst Perkins/JBo/CMac/Kris (maybe even some spillover amongst Joe T/Ulis)
3/4 will be dominated by Keeegan and Patrick, with an uptick in minutes by Kris.
"5" Will be largely Rebraca and hopefully Ogundele

The elephant in the room will be getting the best players on the floor reagardless of "position."
The "heavy" minutes will be Keegan, Joe, Perkins, JBo, Patrick

Reactions: Mohawkeye

The times over the past few seasons where Bohannon has played off the ball and Iowa has tried to get him shots off screens and setting him up has not gone well. Bohannon doesn't have the size or quickness to get free from off-ball screens like a Jok. When Bohannon has been effective it's been with the ball in his hands, shooting pull ups off the dribble when teams don't pick him up in transition or when the ball is being rotated or kicked out after an offensive rebound.

He can/will definitely help this team, if he's not the focal point of the offense. The opponent has to guard him, he'll space the floor and shoot a good % when he's open. He also can pass. All of those things are good. But for this team to be good, they need other guys (Keeg Murray, Patrick McC, Rebraca, etc.) to get the space to shine and get shots.

The times over the past few seasons where Bohannon has played off the ball and Iowa has tried to get him shots off screens and setting him up has not gone well. Bohannon doesn't have the size or quickness to get free from off-ball screens like a Jok. When Bohannon has been effective it's been with the ball in his hands, shooting pull ups off the dribble when teams don't pick him up in transition or when the ball is being rotated or kicked out after an offensive rebound.

He can/will definitely help this team, if he's not the focal point of the offense. The opponent has to guard him, he'll space the floor and shoot a good % when he's open. He also can pass. All of those things are good. But for this team to be good, they need other guys (Keeg Murray, Patrick McC, Rebraca, etc.) to get the space to shine and get shots.
I largely agree, though our offense will be very different, more athleticism, penetration and ball movement. He will still struggle against elite defenders but should be able to find some openings and transition buckets.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

I remember more than a few times he and Joe were good together offensively. Seems like the small sample size of them together was solid.

Reactions: skydog0784

When he went off the ball, who was running the point and playing around him? Going to make a huge difference with the increased athleticism surrounding him. Also expecting a decrease in minutes and an increase in movement/energy. If you’ve played much ball, you know it doesn’t get any worse than chasing a great shooter around that will not quit moving and is constantly running off screens and cutting!

Reactions: skydog0784

I saw that last year. He needs to run straight to the corner and stand there. Be open for dribble drives.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
He's averaged 11.5 points a game over his career. He'll need to do at least that while playing a lot less minutes. Love to see it, not sure it's happening

The worst thing that could happen is if JBo thinks he needs to average 20 pts. He can help the team with leadership, passing, good decisions, etc., but if he tries too hard to put up numbers it might be hard to watch.

If he can get some point inside the arc and get to the FT line, he could really help the team.

The worst thing that could happen is if JBo thinks he needs to average 20 pts. He can help the team with leadership, passing, good decisions, etc., but if he tries too hard to put up numbers it might be hard to watch.

If he can get some point inside the arc and get to the FT line, he could really help the team.
It seems like Fran has one or two players most of the offensive sets revolve around. Will be curious if that person is Bohannon or not. Seems to always be an upperclassmen besides Cook.

It seems like Fran has one or two players most of the offensive sets revolve around. Will be curious if that person is Bohannon or not. Seems to always be an upperclassmen besides Cook.
Cook was a great athlete and a great Hawk. But he was a turnover machine.

It will interesting to watch where the shots come from next year.

Im very skeptical of this being a good idea.

I had no issue with how he handled his 4th year surgery to play a 5th. That made sense to come back and try to win a title with guys you'd been in the program with for years.

That opportunity is long gone, they got their shot.

I don't understand coming back again to play on a rebuilding team thats trying to build their own chemistry for the future.

I don't really question him wanting to do it, he clearly loves attention and getting shots up, I question Fran for allowing it.

There is a player on this team who cant create an open shot on his own and has teammates that dont require as much attention as last year's teammates. His name is Jordan Bohannon

How again will JBo have a successful year?

Reactions: GoEagles23
There is a player on this team who cant create an open shot on his own and has teammates that dont require as much attention as last year's teammates. His name is Jordan Bohannon

How again will JBo have a successful year?
Who on this years team do you want on the freethrow line at the end of a close game? There is no substitute for experience in pressure situations.

Considering a vast majority of the team was in junior high when Bohannon came to Iowa, that's a valid point.
Not really. I’ve never heard of him being anything but a great teammate. You can’t replace the kind of experience and leadership he brings to the table. I’ve got to think he is nothing but a big plus when it comes to team chemistry. There is a reason that the best teams in college ball usually are driven by upperclassman.

Reactions: crstuff
Im very skeptical of this being a good idea.

I had no issue with how he handled his 4th year surgery to play a 5th. That made sense to come back and try to win a title with guys you'd been in the program with for years.

That opportunity is long gone, they got their shot.

I don't understand coming back again to play on a rebuilding team thats trying to build their own chemistry for the future.

I don't really question him wanting to do it, he clearly loves attention and getting shots up, I question Fran for allowing it.
Right there with you RR. As Fran mentioned he needs to be in a different role with this team, and the 60,000 question is will Fran stick to his guns or give Jbo carte blance to do what he wants? This could go really well, or very bad, and I'm hoping for the former but almost expecting the latter.. I still think his main reason for returning was to cash in on this NIL crap, because lets be honest, once he finally hangs up that jersey his "brand" is bubkas, Nada, non exsistent. Will be interesting to see how this plays out if he either isn't playing much or struggles to get shots up as a two. And Lord help us here, if his playing time keeps Ulis, or Joe T. unhappy and sitting on the pine for long stretches.....

Last edited:
Reactions: RocknRollface
While I am more than ready for Bohannon to move on I can understand the logic of bringing him back in a LIMITED ROLE. As with what others have already noted, I'm skeptical that's what will actually happen.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Another hawkeye rugged twitter feed thread

cookies.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT