ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Ahead: It's Better If Wisconsin Wins Out

IowasLaw

All-Conference
Nov 19, 2019
The Hawks are 8-2 after clawing their way to excruciatingly close back to back wins against the Big 10 west's bottom feeders. To the outside viewers, this team must be legit. Hawk fans understand the team didn't play OSU, Mich, or Mich State. We saw the 2 QB sneaks from the 3 yard line this week, the two fullback dives in previous weeks, etc. We understand 8-2 can be deceiving, even in the mighty Big 10, with zero wins over anyone with a pulse, let alone a Top 25 opponent.

The Hawks are favored in their final 2 games and are likely to finish 10-2. If everything plays out, Iowa and Wisconsin will tie for the Big 10 West title, with Wisconsin winning the tie breaker and playing in the championship game. A top 10 ranking and a New Years Six bowl game is a strong possibility because the big boys of the conference still have to play each other and will knock each other down.

Should we root for Wisconsin to stumble? If they do, Iowa backs into the championship game without having beat any of the league's top 5 teams. A Wisconsin loss means the Hawks win the west outright (out of default). That means a trip to Indy as a 25 point underdog to OSU. Is an outright title vs a tie for the title an important distinction? With an outright title, the Hawks would likely get annihilated and finish the season ranked 20th. They'd fall behind OSU, Mich, Mich State, Wisc, and possibly Purdue/Penn State in the bowl pecking order and play an unranked opponent in some inconsequential bowl.

So what's better: (i) Wisconsin loses and Iowa backs into an opportunity to play Ohio State despite losing to the top two teams in our own division; or (ii) Wisconsin wins out, Iowa ties for the west title and finishes the regular season ranked in the Top 10. The Hawks could be "Big 10 champs" and go out and win the Orange or Fiesta Bowl...without having to play Ohio State.

Most years, I'd pick the Big 10 championship game. This year, Ohio State is a playoff contender while Iowa is putting up 17 points in pillow fights against Northwestern. It would be better to still win the west title but let Wisconsin take the obligatory beating by the east.

A game like the Orange Bowl brings a month of hype, national media attention, and recruiting buzz. With a month of preparation and a good matchup, we could actually win an 11th game and finish ranked in the top 5. Iowa would end the year on a positive note going into next season with all of the horses coming back at QB, RB, TE, WR, etc. and a pre-season Top 10 ranking?

My vote is win out, take a share of the title, and win the Orange Bowl.

Last edited:
The Hawks are 8-2 after clawing their way to excruciatingly close wins against bottom feeders. To the outside viewer who only sees the occasional Iowa highlight, this team must be legit. To Hawk fans who saw the 2 QB sneaks from the 3 yard line this week, or the two fullback dives in previous weeks, we understand the 8-2 record can be deceiving. We know there have been zero wins over anyone with a pulse.

Looking ahead, the Hawks are likely to finish 10-2, tied with Wisconsin for the Big 10 West lead, and ranked in the top 10. A New Years Six bowl game against a major opponent is a strong possibility.

So should we root for Wisconsin to stumble? If they lose 1 of their next 2 games, Iowa could back its way into the Big 10 championship game. The Hawks would be Big 10 West champs, travel a huge fan base to Indy, and likely be 25 point underdogs to Ohio State. The Hawks would likely get annihilated, drop 8-10 spots in the rankings, and wind up in some inconsequential late December bowl playing Missouri or Mississippi State with little to play for. Even if Iowa did, somehow, beat OSU, we wouldn't make the playoffs and would still be in the same New Years 6 game as if we didn't play them.

So what's better: win the west and get blown out by Ohio State or finish in the Top 10 and play in a New Years 6 game?

Most years, I'd say pick the Big 10 championship game or bust. That's the type of championship this team plays for each year. However, this year, Ohio State is playing like a legit playoff contender and Iowa is not. Wouldn't it be better to "tie" for the Big 10 west title, let Wisconsin take the obligatory beating, and slide our way to a New Years game (despite not beating anyone all season)? That type of bowl game brings with it a month of hype, national media attention, and recruiting buzz. Plus, who knows, with a month of preparation and a good non-conference matchup, we could actually win and finish the season in the top 7 or 8. Iowa would end the year on a positive note going into next season with all of the horses coming back at QB, RB, TE, WR, etc. and a pre-season Top 10 ranking?

My vote is win out and play in a New Years 6.
This is the way losers think.

Honestly, I’d rather win the west and take a chance in a one game championship for a Big Ten title; even if the odds of winning aren’t great. Can’t win a title unless you’re playing in that game. If you choose otherwise, are you really any better than Kirk running the qb sneaks from the 2 yard line or taking a knee and punting against penn state?

The Hawks are 8-2 after clawing their way to excruciatingly close wins against bottom feeders. To the outside viewer who only sees the occasional Iowa highlight, this team must be legit. To Hawk fans who saw the 2 QB sneaks from the 3 yard line this week, or the two fullback dives in previous weeks, we understand the 8-2 record can be deceiving. We know there have been zero wins over anyone with a pulse.

Looking ahead, the Hawks are likely to finish 10-2, tied with Wisconsin for the Big 10 West lead, and ranked in the top 10. A New Years Six bowl game against a major opponent is a strong possibility.

So should we root for Wisconsin to stumble? If they lose 1 of their next 2 games, Iowa could back its way into the Big 10 championship game. The Hawks would be Big 10 West champs, travel a huge fan base to Indy, and likely be 25 point underdogs to Ohio State. The Hawks would likely get annihilated, drop 8-10 spots in the rankings, and wind up in some inconsequential late December bowl playing Missouri or Mississippi State with little to play for. Even if Iowa did, somehow, beat OSU, we wouldn't make the playoffs and would still be in the same New Years 6 game as if we didn't play them.

So what's better: win the west and get blown out by Ohio State or finish in the Top 10 and play in a New Years 6 game?

Most years, I'd say pick the Big 10 championship game or bust. That's the type of championship this team plays for each year. However, this year, Ohio State is playing like a legit playoff contender and Iowa is not. Wouldn't it be better to "tie" for the Big 10 west title, let Wisconsin take the obligatory beating, and slide our way to a New Years game (despite not beating anyone all season)? That type of bowl game brings with it a month of hype, national media attention, and recruiting buzz. Plus, who knows, with a month of preparation and a good non-conference matchup, we could actually win and finish the season in the top 7 or 8. Iowa would end the year on a positive note going into next season with all of the horses coming back at QB, RB, TE, WR, etc. and a pre-season Top 10 ranking?

Were you also predicting Ohio State would annihilate us before they last visited Kinnick? I'll take our chances every day, and twice on Sunday, no matter what the odds say.....

What a loser mentally. Chicken shit.

52202024.jpg

What a piece of shit, loser take.

Do you guys not realize he is trolling you? And it's clearly working. Let him be.

We know there have been zero wins over anyone with a pulse.
What does the opponent record need to be to show that they "have a pulse"? Do you need to be a Top 20 team to have a pulse?

Apparently more than 6 wins I guess. ISU, Minny and PSU are pretty darned good football teams. Maryland has 5 wins. You're assuming Iowa beats Illinois and Nebraska - no pulse there either I guess.

And, hoping the Hawks don't win the West?

:rolleyes:

Honestly, I’d rather win the west and take a chance in a one game championship for a Big Ten title; even if the odds of winning aren’t great. Can’t win a title unless you’re playing in that game. If you choose otherwise, are you really any better than Kirk running the qb sneaks from the 2 yard line or taking a knee and punting against penn state?

Drop the mic. OP is an idiot.

Reactions: Im4Iowa and QChawks
I can just never see not wanting to play for the bigger stakes.

As with the 2015 season, I would have loved for them to stop msu and go to the CFP even if they got destroyed by 'bama.
Winning the B1G West should be the primary goal every season. If they go to indy and get drilled, so be it. I still want to see them play in the title game.

Reactions: tigerhawkfan2

On to ignore with you troll

Reactions: littlez
Iowalaw....LOL I would rather win out, win the west and get to the BiG championship game, regardless of the outcome. And the way Iowa is playing to the level of every team on its schedule, winning the next two is not guaranteed by any means, as much as it pains me to say that. After all, we couldn't stop Bucky's or Minnesota's running game and that is exactly what Illinois wants to do.

This is the same type of mentality that gives us QB sneaks and running the clock, instead of putting the game away…..

Reactions: QChawks
I don’t think we get a NY6. Michigan, Wisconsin and Michigan State all ahead of us for that?

What does the opponent record need to be to show that they "have a pulse"? Do you need to be a Top 20 team to have a pulse?

Apparently more than 6 wins I guess. ISU, Minny and PSU are pretty darned good football teams. Maryland has 5 wins. You're assuming Iowa beats Illinois and Nebraska - no pulse there either I guess.

And, hoping the Hawks don't win the West?

:rolleyes:
You are not a good football team with only 5 wins i.e. Maryland.

ISU and PSU are proving to be average but def. not bottom feeders.

Reactions: DrRedDuke
A defense that hasn't given up 30 all season + a reenergized offense with Padilla would more than likely not get blown out. This program is defined by West division titles IMO so this take is terrible.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Michigan has to play tOSU yet. MSU has tOSU and PSU yet. If we win the west, we'd be ahead of Wisconsin.
Yeah but his whole point was if they win out. Michigan with 2 losses Michigan state with 2 losses would go ahead of us IMO.

The Hawks are 8-2 after clawing their way to excruciatingly close back to back wins against the Big 10 west's bottom feeders. To the outside viewers, this team must be legit based on their record and their conference. To Hawk fans who understand the team doesn't play OSU, Mich, or Mich State, and saw the 2 QB sneaks from the 3 yard line this week, or the two fullback dives in previous weeks, we understand 8-2 can be deceiving, even in the mighty Big 10. We know it includes zero wins over anyone with a pulse, let alone a Top 25 opponent.

Looking ahead, the Hawks are favored in their final 2 games and are likely to finish 10-2. If everything plays out as it should, they would finish tied with Wisconsin for the Big 10 West title, ranked in the top 10, and lose the tie breaker to play in the Big 10 title game. Because the top of the Big 10 east still has some matchups against each other, a New Years Six bowl game against a major opponent is a strong possibility because the big boys of the conference will kill each other off.

So should we root for Wisconsin to stumble so Iowa backs into the championship game without beating any of the top 5 teams in our own conference? Instead of sharing the west title, the Hawks would win the west outright (out of default), travel a huge fan base to Indy, and likely be 25 point underdogs to Ohio State. The tailgating would be fun, but the Hawks would likely get annihilated, drop 8-10 spots in the rankings, and wind up in some inconsequential late December bowl playing Missouri or Mississippi State with little to play for. Even if Iowa did, somehow, beat OSU, we wouldn't make the playoffs and would still be in the same New Years 6 game as if we didn't play them.

So what's better: (i) win the west out of default and get blown out by Ohio State; or (ii) tie for the west title, let Wisconsin play OSU, and finish the regular season ranked in the Top 10 and play in a New Years 6 game?

Most years, I'd say pick the Big 10 championship game or bust. However, this year, Ohio State is playing like a legit playoff contender and Iowa is putting up 17 points against Northwestern. Wouldn't it be better to "tie" for the west title, let Wisconsin take the obligatory beating by the east, and slide our way to a New Years game (despite not beating anyone all season)? A game like the Orange Bowl brings with it a month of hype, national media attention, and recruiting buzz. Plus, with a month of preparation and a good non-conference matchup, we could actually win an 11th game and finish the season in the top 5. Iowa would end the year on a positive note going into next season with all of the horses coming back at QB, RB, TE, WR, etc. and a pre-season Top 10 ranking?

My vote is win out, take a share of the title, and win the Orange Bowl.
Lulz.

A. Iowa > Ohio State

B. We might not even make the Citrus Bowl if we win out. You talk about not wanting Wisconsin to lose so we can back into the BTCG..........well we're still gonna need a lot of other teams in front of us to not only lose, but get dropped by the dozens of "experts" that vote in the rankings.

Michigan State AND Michigan would need to lose out. Wisconsin would need to lose convincingly and even then that's no guarantee that a NY6 Bowl would pick us over them.

And that's just in the Big Ten.

That's a lot more variables needing to work in your favor than just needing Wisconsin to lose to Nebraska and/or Minnesota and Iowa beating Ohio State's ass once again in the BTCG.

"Bahhh there's no chance Iowa could beat Ohio State ever!!"

Yeah, that's probably true considering I watched this teams lose 42-17 to Penn State one week and then upset Michigan the next week. Or get beat by Purdue and Wisconsin but put up 55 points against Ohio State.

You have zero f***ing clue what this team will do week to week. Nobody does.

That's the curse of being an Iowa fan.............. :D

Reactions: SotaHawk87
Absolutely astonishing no one gets this troll's schtick.
I reply more for the people who agree with him.

But once in a blue moon, he will scan back through his threads and I know he will see my troll response to him and realize that he's been gotten, so I do take a small measure of pride in that......:cool:

I think it's interesting to go through scenarios, and if any scenario has Iowa winning these next two, anything more will be gravy. Even the best Iowa team I can imagine is/was always going to be the underdog in Indy. Doesn't matter how much you lose by, but you lose no matter what if you aren't even playing in that game.

*Take your chances. If those chances are 5 in a 100, that's still a chance. Why games are played.

I really think we're unlikely to rise into the Top 10 or 11 of the CFP rankings if we finish 10-2 without reaching the conf championship game. Wisc would stay above us. Mich would stay above us. MSU might fall below us if they lose to PSU too. Without winning the conf champ game I think Citrus is our ceiling.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I really think we're unlikely to rise into the Top 10 or 11 of the CFP rankings if we finish 10-2 without reaching the conf championship game. Wisc would stay above us. Mich would stay above us. MSU might fall below us if they lose to PSU too. Without winning the conf champ game I think Citrus is our ceiling.
100% agree and if we finish 10-2 and end up in Vegas or Nashville that would be a bit disappointing….though fun destinations….it would be hard to get excited

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT