ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Ahead: It's Better If Wisconsin Wins Out

Should we root for Wisconsin to stumble? If they do, Iowa backs into the championship game without having beat any of the league's top 5 teams.
I'm pretty sure KF agrees with you. This is typical Iowa thinking over the last 23 years. Win enough to keep the paychecks coming, but not so much that most people expect division titles, Big Ten titles, and runs at the CFP now and then.

As for not beating any of the league's top five teams, Iowa hasn't played Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State . . . so it's really tough to beat teams you don't play. I think even KF might agree with that.

As for me, with Padilla at QB, despite BF still doing his thing and KF still squeezing all the joy out of the offense, I'd still like to see Wisconsin get beat and Iowa win the division and take its chances against, most likely, Ohio State, but Michigan may have something to say about that. I still think winning the division and going to Indy is better than not winning it and staying home. But maybe that's just me.

Reactions: aurorabimmer
I think Nebraska has 1 win left this season but will lose to Wisconsin and then beat Iowa. But hey, 9-3 isn't bad. It's what they fired Pelini for and I think a lot of people would like to see Pelini back after anger management and some good therapy.

I wondered the same thing - how beneficial is it really to have Ohio State kick our ass on prime time TV? And I think thats the likely outcome.

But you still gotta hope for the opportunity. A lot of teams would kill for a spot in their conference championship game - half the Big Ten has never been in the game, and only 4 teams have been there more than once. You 100% take your chances of a blowout loss and be happy, win or lose.

And same goes for the playoff. I'd rather make the playoff and lose 50-0 to Bama than never see Iowa make it in my lifetime. Lots of teams, including our neighbors to the West have no chance of ever appearing in the playoff.

Lol and just like that, 2 days later and already OPs theory is shot to sh** as it is proven that Iowa has no shot at a NY6 outside of reaching the BTCG.

Well done, OP........ :cool:

Reactions: bumpstock
First I'm not so sure we'll end up 10--2 but if we do we would be much better off not playing Ohio State. If you haven't watched them play then you have an excuse for thinking we may have. Look we got bombed by Wisconsin and Purdue lets try and finish the year with a good 10--2 or 9--3 record and go to a decent bowl. I still haven't figured out how this team has won this many games especially starting the QB we have.

First I'm not so sure we'll end up 10--2 but if we do we would be much better off not playing Ohio State. If you haven't watched them play then you have an excuse for thinking we may have. Look we got bombed by Wisconsin and Purdue lets try and finish the year with a good 10--2 or 9--3 record and go to a decent bowl. I still haven't figured out how this team has won this many games especially starting the QB we have.

I have watched OSU play several times this year. They are overall the weakest OSU team I have seen since very early in Urban's tenure. Their O line is only marginally better than Iowa's. Their QB is gifted but makes multiple bad decisions every game. Their defense is far from special. They do have sensational WRs. PSU had a very real chance of beating them as did Minny earlier this year. I doubt Iowa would beat them. I also doubt they would "destroy" Iowa. NW has hung with them in conference championship games. I expect Iowa would keep it within two scores.

The Hawks are 8-2 after clawing their way to excruciatingly close back to back wins against the Big 10 west's bottom feeders. To the outside viewers, this team must be legit. Hawk fans understand the team didn't play OSU, Mich, or Mich State. We saw the 2 QB sneaks from the 3 yard line this week, the two fullback dives in previous weeks, etc. We understand 8-2 can be deceiving, even in the mighty Big 10, with zero wins over anyone with a pulse, let alone a Top 25 opponent.

The Hawks are favored in their final 2 games and are likely to finish 10-2. If everything plays out, Iowa and Wisconsin will tie for the Big 10 West title, with Wisconsin winning the tie breaker and playing in the championship game. A top 10 ranking and a New Years Six bowl game is a strong possibility because the big boys of the conference still have to play each other and will knock each other down.

Should we root for Wisconsin to stumble? If they do, Iowa backs into the championship game without having beat any of the league's top 5 teams. A Wisconsin loss means the Hawks win the west outright (out of default). That means a trip to Indy as a 25 point underdog to OSU. Is an outright title vs a tie for the title an important distinction? With an outright title, the Hawks would likely get annihilated and finish the season ranked 20th. They'd fall behind OSU, Mich, Mich State, Wisc, and possibly Purdue/Penn State in the bowl pecking order and play an unranked opponent in some inconsequential bowl.

So what's better: (i) Wisconsin loses and Iowa backs into an opportunity to play Ohio State despite losing to the top two teams in our own division; or (ii) Wisconsin wins out, Iowa ties for the west title and finishes the regular season ranked in the Top 10. The Hawks could be "Big 10 champs" and go out and win the Orange or Fiesta Bowl...without having to play Ohio State.

Most years, I'd pick the Big 10 championship game. This year, Ohio State is a playoff contender while Iowa is putting up 17 points in pillow fights against Northwestern. It would be better to still win the west title but let Wisconsin take the obligatory beating by the east.

A game like the Orange Bowl brings a month of hype, national media attention, and recruiting buzz. With a month of preparation and a good matchup, we could actually win an 11th game and finish ranked in the top 5. Iowa would end the year on a positive note going into next season with all of the horses coming back at QB, RB, TE, WR, etc. and a pre-season Top 10 ranking?

My vote is win out, take a share of the title, and win the Orange Bowl.
You have to get on the field to win. To plan to get second, you might as well stay home. Get on the field fire your best shot, and adjust. Planning to lose is never an option for winners.

If you're not one of the two teams in the BTCG, you're just fighting over table scraps. Do you think the players join the Iowa program to be 'pretty good' or 'get to a solid bowl game'? **** no. Sure those are better than some other options, but if you're competing at the level, you're there to at least have chance to win your company conference.

The Hawks are 8-2 after clawing their way to excruciatingly close back to back wins against the Big 10 west's bottom feeders. To the outside viewers, this team must be legit. Hawk fans understand the team didn't play OSU, Mich, or Mich State. We saw the 2 QB sneaks from the 3 yard line this week, the two fullback dives in previous weeks, etc. We understand 8-2 can be deceiving, even in the mighty Big 10, with zero wins over anyone with a pulse, let alone a Top 25 opponent.

The Hawks are favored in their final 2 games and are likely to finish 10-2. If everything plays out, Iowa and Wisconsin will tie for the Big 10 West title, with Wisconsin winning the tie breaker and playing in the championship game. A top 10 ranking and a New Years Six bowl game is a strong possibility because the big boys of the conference still have to play each other and will knock each other down.

Should we root for Wisconsin to stumble? If they do, Iowa backs into the championship game without having beat any of the league's top 5 teams. A Wisconsin loss means the Hawks win the west outright (out of default). That means a trip to Indy as a 25 point underdog to OSU. Is an outright title vs a tie for the title an important distinction? With an outright title, the Hawks would likely get annihilated and finish the season ranked 20th. They'd fall behind OSU, Mich, Mich State, Wisc, and possibly Purdue/Penn State in the bowl pecking order and play an unranked opponent in some inconsequential bowl.

So what's better: (i) Wisconsin loses and Iowa backs into an opportunity to play Ohio State despite losing to the top two teams in our own division; or (ii) Wisconsin wins out, Iowa ties for the west title and finishes the regular season ranked in the Top 10. The Hawks could be "Big 10 champs" and go out and win the Orange or Fiesta Bowl...without having to play Ohio State.

Most years, I'd pick the Big 10 championship game. This year, Ohio State is a playoff contender while Iowa is putting up 17 points in pillow fights against Northwestern. It would be better to still win the west title but let Wisconsin take the obligatory beating by the east.

A game like the Orange Bowl brings a month of hype, national media attention, and recruiting buzz. With a month of preparation and a good matchup, we could actually win an 11th game and finish ranked in the top 5. Iowa would end the year on a positive note going into next season with all of the horses coming back at QB, RB, TE, WR, etc. and a pre-season Top 10 ranking?

Well the teams we have beaten suck, that's how we've won that many games. I think maybe 3 of them have a winning record.

After watching Ohio State's 56-7 THRASHING of #7 ranked Michigan State and noting that Iowa is an underdog next week against 3-9 Nebraska, it's clear there are two types of Hawk fans:

1. Those that agree with IowaLaw
2. Those that are wrong

Last edited:
Just a heads up - we still make fun of Fleck and MN fans for touting how they "tied" for the West title in '19. Fleck even made rings. It was pathetic.

There is no tie. Either you go to the B1G CG as the division champ or you watch as one of the 6 not-division-champs.
The guy you're replying to is not an Iowa fan despite what he claims.

Reactions: Iliketrees
After watching Ohio State's 56-7 THRASHING of #7 ranked Michigan State and noting that Iowa is an underdog next week against 3-9 Nebraska, it's clear there are two types of Hawk fans:

2. Those that are wrong
What's it like having your head inserted completely into your anus?

2. Those that are wrong
3. Those that agree with me are sorry and pathetic losers.

Making it to Indy and getting thrashed is still way better than not going at all. You're an absolute imbecile if you thinking not getting to Indy is a good thing. @Roy L Fuchs would probably agree with me on this.

OP is a total loser (I know that's been rehashed many times over in this thread).

While being 10-2 and not having to play in the BTCG might result in a better bowl game than playing in the BTCG and losing, only a total chicken-sh*t loser would prefer this over having a shot at the Big Ten championship and the Rose Bowl, no matter the odds.

Reactions: ssckelley

2. Those that are wrong

tumblr_oif2s1tBp01qlskmlo1_1280.gif

Delete your account.

Lol he’s a troll but what an absolute trash mentality. Can’t win the B1G championship if you don’t play in it. It’s the main goal these players set out for each year why the f*** would anyone associated with Iowa, fan, player or coach, ever want to miss out on a chance to go to Indy? Just beyond soft.

2. Those that are wrong
Silly, sad rabbit.

Reactions: SotaHawk87

42-3???!!! People often say IowaLaw is a voice of reason in an otherwise vast group of uninformed homers lacking a base level of football sense. I tend to agree. The embarrassment in Indy did far more harm than good and you're a liar if you disagree.

The Hawks went into the Big 10 Championship game ranked #13. That's incredible for this program! With conference championship games taking place and teams knocking each other off, the Hawks were poised to sneak up a few more spots without even playing a game. With the Big 10's worst offense in years, you take that scheduling W any day, knowing deep down that not one of Iowa's wins this year was against a ranked opponent. The general public doesn't know that. The illusion that this was a great team is a dream scenario for Brian and Kirk, as they still get to cash in on their massive "performance bonuses" without actually having to beat anyone. Heck, they didn't even need to have a Power 5 quarterback, a top 125 offense, and they can still beat 3 win Nebraska and 3 win Northwestern on 1 possession games and not have to change a thing about the program.

So why was only IowaLaw smart enough to root for Wisconsin to allow the Hawks to stay 10-2, win a share of the conference title, go to a great bowl game, and let Wisconsin be the sacrificial lamb to get destroyed? Nah, that takes too much intellect.

Forget the final score. Watching the Hawks run up the middle for no gain in the redzone time after time (intentionally playing for a field goal rather than a touchdown), watching Brian give up on 2nd down following a penalty and simply play the next two downs in preparation for a punt, and watching a defense that confirmed the "slow unathletic" stereotype of Iowa in front of recruits, the media, will eliminate Iowa's chances of finishing the season with a decent ranking, will kill all recruiting momentum, and I'd say kill fan enthusiasm going into next year.

@soybean @scotthawk1964
@Im4Iowa @HawkeyeHoopyball
@ThisHawks4u @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset
@MepoDawg# @citizenHawk
@WhiskeyDick @NorthDSMHawk
@millah_22 @DavidGraeberBullSheetJobs
@BEAVERDALEHAWK @HawkeyeInCentralIowa
@Frosty7130
@SDHawkDoc

Last edited:
People often say IowaLaw is a voice of reason in an otherwise vast group of uninformed homers lacking a base level of football sense.
Link?

No, predicting Iowa to lose a game they were underdogs in does not make you a genius and not even right in your thinking. If I have a choice of Iowa playing for the Big Ten championship or not playing for the Big Ten championship, I choose playing for the Big Ten championship 100% of the time. Last night’s result does not change that one iota. Anyone who doesn’t agree with that is a loser like you.

42-3???!!! People often say IowaLaw is a voice of reason in an otherwise vast group of uninformed homers lacking a base level of football sense. I tend to agree. The embarrassment in Indy did far more harm than good and you're a liar if you disagree.

The Hawks went into the Big 10 Championship game ranked #13. That's incredible for this program! With conference championship games taking place and teams knocking each other off, the Hawks were poised to sneak up a few more spots without even playing a game. With the Big 10's worst offense in years, you take that scheduling W any day, knowing deep down that not one of Iowa's wins this year was against a ranked opponent. The general public doesn't know that. The illusion that this was a great team is a dream scenario for Brian and Kirk, as they still get to cash in on their massive "performance bonuses" without actually having to beat anyone. Heck, they didn't even need to have a Power 5 quarterback, a top 125 offense, and they can still beat 3 win Nebraska and 3 win Northwestern on 1 possession games and not have to change a thing about the program.

So why was only IowaLaw smart enough to root for Wisconsin to allow the Hawks to stay 10-2, win a share of the conference title, go to a great bowl game, and let Wisconsin be the sacrificial lamb to get destroyed? Nah, that takes too much intellect.

Forget the final score. Watching the Hawks run up the middle for no gain in the redzone time after time (intentionally playing for a field goal rather than a touchdown), watching Brian give up on 2nd down following a penalty and simply play the next two downs in preparation for a punt, and watching a defense that confirmed the "slow unathletic" stereotype of Iowa in front of recruits, the media, will eliminate Iowa's chances of finishing the season with a decent ranking, will kill all recruiting momentum, and I'd say kill fan enthusiasm going into next year.

@soybean @scotthawk1964
@MepoDawg# @citizenHawk
@Frosty7130
@SDHawkDoc
You have one of the biggest loser mentality’s ever. Yeah we got blown out. Yeah, it sucks. But at the end of the day, I’d rather be there with an opportunity for the Rose Bowl then having no chance at all. Jesus, you’re just pathetic.

You have one of the biggest loser mentality’s ever. Yeah we got blown out. Yeah, it sucks. But at the end of the day, I’d rather be there with an opportunity for the Rose Bowl then having no chance at all. Jesus, you’re just pathetic.
100% agree.

It sucks losing, especially bad. But I stand by what I said, I’d always opt to go to the BTCG over finishing 2nd in the west and anyone who says otherwise for any reason, including a strategic or favorable bowl placement or to avoid potential landslide losses on a big stage, doesn’t appreciate the grind of football, and isn’t a true competitor. You’re just soft and have a first loser mentality. Our team will never elevate by not making the BTCG. Were we the most talented team in the west this year? Probably not. Doesn’t mean we didn’t win games this year to put ourselves in a position to the earn this shot. I cant stand people who didn’t want to go this game, not true fans. IMO

@soybean @scotthawk1964
@MepoDawg# @citizenHawk
@Frosty7130
@SDHawkDoc
Lol no, you were not right. And don't ever @ me again.

@IowasLaw

@soybean @scotthawk1964
@MepoDawg# @citizenHawk
@Frosty7130
@SDHawkDoc
Go get your own blog you egomaniac! Your opinions are no better than anyone else’s on here, you don’t deserve your own damn threads to voice them. Take your “followers” and start your own blog! Then you can self promote your opinions all you want.

Not wanting Iowa to play in these type of games is STUPID! I don’t give a crap what the final score was. Iowa still accomplished something this season, they are the West Champions!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT