ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Ahead: It's Better If Wisconsin Wins Out

Winning the west would be the best of all options. Can’t believe anyone would say different. So we would have a tough game in the championship; isn’t it fair to say every single BIG championship game will be against a top level opponent

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
The Hawks are 8-2 after clawing their way to excruciatingly close back to back wins against the Big 10 west's bottom feeders. To the outside viewers, this team must be legit. Hawk fans understand the team didn't play OSU, Mich, or Mich State. We saw the 2 QB sneaks from the 3 yard line this week, the two fullback dives in previous weeks, etc. We understand 8-2 can be deceiving, even in the mighty Big 10, with zero wins over anyone with a pulse, let alone a Top 25 opponent.

The Hawks are favored in their final 2 games and are likely to finish 10-2. If everything plays out, Iowa and Wisconsin will tie for the Big 10 West title, with Wisconsin winning the tie breaker and playing in the championship game. A top 10 ranking and a New Years Six bowl game is a strong possibility because the big boys of the conference still have to play each other and will knock each other down.

Should we root for Wisconsin to stumble? If they do, Iowa backs into the championship game without having beat any of the league's top 5 teams. A Wisconsin loss means the Hawks win the west outright (out of default) and a trip to Indy as a 25 point underdog to OSU. An outright title vs a tie for the title is a small but important distinction, and the tailgating would be fun. However, chances are, the Hawks would likely get annihilated and wind up ranked 20th and playing in some inconsequential late December bowl vs. Missouri or Mississippi State.

So what's better: (i) Wisconsin loses and backing into an opportunity to play Ohio State; or (ii) Wisconsin wins out, we tie for the west title and finish the regular season ranked in the Top 10, and we go out and win the Orange or Fiesta Bowl against a slightly lesser blue blood?

Most years, I'd pick the Big 10 championship game. This year, Ohio State is playing like a playoff contender while Iowa is putting up 17 points in pillow fights against Northwestern. Wouldn't it be better to still win the west title but let Wisconsin take the obligatory beating by the east?

A game like the Orange Bowl brings a month of hype, national media attention, and recruiting buzz. With a month of preparation and a good matchup, we could actually win an 11th game and finish ranked in the top 5. Iowa would end the year on a positive note going into next season with all of the horses coming back at QB, RB, TE, WR, etc. and a pre-season Top 10 ranking?

My vote is win out, take a share of the title, and win the Orange Bowl.
OSU will stomp the West team.

I don’t think we get a NY6. Michigan, Wisconsin and Michigan State all ahead of us for that?
I’m not sure Wisconsin can get there without winning out and winning the CCG. They already have 3 losses and that would make 4 losses if they lose the CCG. They’re not likely in the top 12 with that. We’ll see how the East shakes out over the last couple of weeks - PSU could get MSU and we’ll see what Michigan does against OSU.

A trophy is a trophy and we don't have many conference champ trophies on display. We want that trophy.

As for OSU they are supposed to beat everyone including us. If we lose it isn't like we wouldn't expect it. If they blow us out they have done that to lots of teams. The pressure is all on them

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Correct. However, when you rank something like 124th in the nation in Total Offense, I’m afraid OSU would curb stomp us.

I'd be ok with that but I'd think the coaches would figure out a way to keep it relatively close. If Pedo State and Nebraska can keep it below 10 so can Iowa.

The Hawks are 8-2 after clawing their way to excruciatingly close back to back wins against the Big 10 west's bottom feeders. To the outside viewers, this team must be legit. Hawk fans understand the team didn't play OSU, Mich, or Mich State. We saw the 2 QB sneaks from the 3 yard line this week, the two fullback dives in previous weeks, etc. We understand 8-2 can be deceiving, even in the mighty Big 10, with zero wins over anyone with a pulse, let alone a Top 25 opponent.

The Hawks are favored in their final 2 games and are likely to finish 10-2. If everything plays out, Iowa and Wisconsin will tie for the Big 10 West title, with Wisconsin winning the tie breaker and playing in the championship game. A top 10 ranking and a New Years Six bowl game is a strong possibility because the big boys of the conference still have to play each other and will knock each other down.

Should we root for Wisconsin to stumble? If they do, Iowa backs into the championship game without having beat any of the league's top 5 teams. A Wisconsin loss means the Hawks win the west outright (out of default) and a trip to Indy as a 25 point underdog to OSU. An outright title vs a tie for the title is a small but important distinction, and the tailgating would be fun. However, chances are, the Hawks would likely get annihilated and wind up ranked 20th and playing in some inconsequential late December bowl vs. Missouri or Mississippi State.

So what's better: (i) Wisconsin loses and backing into an opportunity to play Ohio State; or (ii) Wisconsin wins out, we tie for the west title and finish the regular season ranked in the Top 10, and we go out and win the Orange or Fiesta Bowl against a slightly lesser blue blood?

Most years, I'd pick the Big 10 championship game. This year, Ohio State is playing like a playoff contender while Iowa is putting up 17 points in pillow fights against Northwestern. Wouldn't it be better to still win the west title but let Wisconsin take the obligatory beating by the east?

A game like the Orange Bowl brings a month of hype, national media attention, and recruiting buzz. With a month of preparation and a good matchup, we could actually win an 11th game and finish ranked in the top 5. Iowa would end the year on a positive note going into next season with all of the horses coming back at QB, RB, TE, WR, etc. and a pre-season Top 10 ranking?

You think like a lawyer, afraid to take risks, terrified of losing, pretending to live life, drowning in fine print. Your analysis is riddled with unsubstantiated claims, and is even more arrogant than usual. You don’t even seem like a Hawk fan, as you seem to relish in bashing them. Why do you waste your and our time with this drivel?

Were you also predicting Ohio State would annihilate us before they last visited Kinnick? I'll take our chances every day, and twice on SATURDAY , no matter what the odds say.....
FIFY, that is when the B1G game is played.

It is not accurate to refer to Minnesota as a Big Ten bottom feeder . Clearly they are better than half of the teams in the league. As usual , your post has a lot of BS in it.

I actually think the same way but the smackdown is hilarious.

How crazy to not want to play Ohio State. The benefits to Iowa are immeasurable. Win or lose, Iowa wins. If Iowa loses, it's expected. If Iowa wins? Iowa would have back to back victories over Ohio State. Who else in the Big Ten can claim that in the past 20 years? Only Michigan in 1999, 2000 and Michigan State in 1998, 1999. Iowa's win in 2017 is Ohio State's worse since they lost 41-14 in the 2007 BCS with Florida. And what about the psychological factor? Ohio State would be thinking .. this is the team that humiliated us in 2017. It might count for nothing, but they would surely have the revenge factor. Only one way to find out.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
This year, Ohio State is playing like a playoff contender
In the first playoff ranking, OSU was on the outside looking in. I assumed they would go into Lincoln and make a statement, instead they squeaked out a single digit win. Would they beat Iowa in the BIG championship game? most likely, especially the way we've played recently, but OSU is not Georgia or Alabama. Iowa does much better as the underdog, but this whole scenario is hypothetical. I'm not sold on us winning out, but if we do, I will be pulling for the Gophers against Wisc....it's even gross to type, but it is what it is.

Is there even a serious question about the best result?

If Iowa wins the Division at 10-2 and Goldy beats Bucky, leaving Bucky at 8-4 and then loses to Brutus we will jump Sparty but not the whore Ann Arbor and play in Florida on New Year's Day.

If Iowa wins out and Bucky wins the Division on a tie breaker Iowa still gets a good bowl game and a chance at an 11th win. An 11 win Big Ten team is going to finish in the final Top Ten. That is huge for Iowa.

Just a heads up - we still make fun of Fleck and MN fans for touting how they "tied" for the West title in '19. Fleck even made rings. It was pathetic.

There is no tie. Either you go to the B1G CG as the division champ or you watch as one of the 6 not-division-champs.

It is not a given that Iowa will be favored at Nebraska. Michigan played there as a top ten team and was a 2.5 point favorite. I will predict that Nebraska will be at least an even bet and maybe even a sight favorite.

Michigan State is a 20 point underdog this week. They must really suck too..

You are not a good football team with only 5 wins i.e. Maryland.

ISU and PSU are proving to be average but def. not bottom feeders.
I guess it's the scale that angry fans use to describe Iowa opponents. They are either great, average (mediocre) or they suck.

Penn State has 4 losses (by a total of 18 points) to OSU, Mich, IA and Illinois. They've been ranked most of the season. ISU has 3 losses, besides Iowa, by a total of 12 points.

Those teams are dam good - well above average IMO. In the FBS, Maryland is an average team.

Purdue has losses to ND, OSU, Minny and Wisky and they are ranked in the Top 20. Wisky has losses to ND, Mich and PSU, and ranked in the Top 20. They are both very good teams.

I just bugs me when people diminish Iowa's competition to downgrade the team's accomplishments.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThisHawks4u

Should we root for Wisconsin to stumble? If they do, Iowa backs into the championship game without having beat any of the league's top 5 teams. A Wisconsin loss means the Hawks win the west outright (out of default). That means a trip to Indy as a 25 point underdog to OSU. Is an outright title vs a tie for the title an important distinction? With an outright title, the Hawks would likely get annihilated and finish the season ranked 20th. They'd fall behind OSU, Mich, Mich State, Wisc, and possibly Purdue/Penn State in the bowl pecking order and play an unranked opponent in some inconsequential bowl.

So what's better: (i) Wisconsin loses and Iowa backs into an opportunity to play Ohio State despite losing to the top two teams in our own division; or (ii) Wisconsin wins out, Iowa ties for the west title and finishes the regular season ranked in the Top 10. The Hawks could be "Big 10 champs" and go out and win the Orange or Fiesta Bowl...without having to play Ohio State.

Most years, I'd pick the Big 10 championship game. This year, Ohio State is a playoff contender while Iowa is putting up 17 points in pillow fights against Northwestern. It would be better to still win the west title but let Wisconsin take the obligatory beating by the east.

You’re such a chicken shit loser for even typing this up and posting it. Absolute loser mentality.

Reactions: Frosty7130
And what about the psychological factor? Ohio State would be thinking .. this is the team that humiliated us in 2017. It might count for nothing, but they would surely have the revenge factor. Only one way to find out.
I can't imagine that there are that many buckeye players still around chomping at the bit to get another shot at the team that humiliated them five seasons ago.

Reactions: cheddarwurst

Should we root for Wisconsin to stumble? If they do, Iowa backs into the championship game without having beat any of the league's top 5 teams. A Wisconsin loss means the Hawks win the west outright (out of default). That means a trip to Indy as a 25 point underdog to OSU. Is an outright title vs a tie for the title an important distinction? With an outright title, the Hawks would likely get annihilated and finish the season ranked 20th. They'd fall behind OSU, Mich, Mich State, Wisc, and possibly Purdue/Penn State in the bowl pecking order and play an unranked opponent in some inconsequential bowl.

So what's better: (i) Wisconsin loses and Iowa backs into an opportunity to play Ohio State despite losing to the top two teams in our own division; or (ii) Wisconsin wins out, Iowa ties for the west title and finishes the regular season ranked in the Top 10. The Hawks could be "Big 10 champs" and go out and win the Orange or Fiesta Bowl...without having to play Ohio State.

Most years, I'd pick the Big 10 championship game. This year, Ohio State is a playoff contender while Iowa is putting up 17 points in pillow fights against Northwestern. It would be better to still win the west title but let Wisconsin take the obligatory beating by the east.

I agree with you 150%, IowaLaw. I do not have any fancy degree like you apparently have (judging from your handle), but I am at least smart enough enough to figure all that out. Not so sure many on this board would agree with us, though.

Reactions: IowasLaw
IowasLaw posted this because of our middle age offensive philosophy. Not because he doesn't believe in our players. Just like me he's hopeful for the future and we need to finish strong for recruiting. I don't think a 30 point loss to OSU helps. Yes there's always a chance we could pull out the crazy upset, but it's very unlikely. He's just playing the odds.

Reactions: IowasLaw
Can't win the B1G championship, if you are sitting at home..

I'd rather be in the championship 100% of the time.

Just like I would have rather beat MSU in 2015, even though we probably get beat bad in the playoffs.

My order of importance...
National Championship win
National Championship appearance
Rose bowl win
NY6 bowl win
Playoff appearance
B1G championship win
Win B1G West
Other bowl wins (depends on the opponent)
10+ wins
9wins
8wins

I agree with you 150%, IowaLaw. I do not have any fancy degree like you apparently have (judging from your handle), but I am at least smart enough enough to figure all that out. Not so sure many on this board would agree with us, though.
I can vouch for his fancy degree. I attended classes with him at the University of Phoenix.

ADVERTISEMENT