ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead to the basketball portal

Max_Rebo

HR All-State
Jan 1, 2023
It's still weeks away, but in this new era of college athletics, I don't think there's ever a time when it's too early to wonder who you might lose (or gain) via the transfer portal. And if history has taught us anything, it's that we will likely see some portal departures, including some that might be surprising.

Off the top of my head, I don't believe we have any players who are "likely" to end up in the portal. For one reason or another, it would seem that it's in the best interests of each of them to stick with the Hawkeyes. And I sincerely hope they all do.

But college kids don't always think like middle-aged men, so here are some of the portal possibilities I could see with this Iowa team. I am breaking my list into three categories -- the "Maybes," the "Not likelys, but you you never know," and the "No way in hells."

First, the "Maybes::
  • At the top of this list I would put either Ogundele OR Mulvey, but not both. Whoever doesn't go is likely to stay. But after multiple years in the program, neither are getting significant playing time, and it might make sense for either of them to look elsewhere for a better fit. Ogundele was briefly in the portal last year. I'm not sure why he returned, whether it was because he didn't like the offers he got, or if he was promised something if he stayed. With only one year left of eligibility (is that correct?) his value as a transfer might be limited, so that will be a factor. Also, both are far from home, so I could see a desire to move closer to home.
  • Dasonte Bowen. I'm not sure what kind of playing time he expected, or how much he thinks he deserves, but its easy to see where he might consider looking elsewhere for a better opportunity. He's young, and his potential is obvious, so you would think he might have some lucrative NIL deals to look at. Also, he might see Brock Harding coming in next year, and have questions about where he fits. This is the one that worries me the most.
  • Carter Kingsbury, and any other walk-on. If any of these guys have an opportunity to get a scholarship someplace besides Iowa, I wouldn't blame them for taking it. I believe Kingsbury is the only one with actual game experience.
Next, the "Not Likelys, but you never know":
  • Ahron Ulis. The question with Ulis is what was he promised. If he was led to believe he would be the guy running the show, only to play second fiddle to Perkins and Bowen, and sometimes even Dix and Connor McCaffery, I could see how he might be motivated to seek out another option someplace else. The downside is that he only has one year left of eligibility (I think), and it's not like he has a great body of work to show off to potential suitors. Still, you never know.
  • Tony Perkins. I really only put Tony at this level because of the game a couple weeks ago when he got benched in the second half, and seemed to be frustrated. If that frustration were to grow, I could see him pursuing other options. Unlike Ulis, he has a strong body of work, and could probably command a pretty good NIL deal if he wanted it.
  • Patrick McCaffety. This one ought to be the shocker in this category. A few weeks ago, he would have been in the "No way in hell" category. I don't purport to understand the causes of his anxiety issues, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that Patrick would opt to transfer to someplace quieter, where he's not the coach's son, where he's not in the shadow of this brother, and he can just have fun being a basketball player and a college student.
Finally, the "No chance in hell" category:
  • Josh Dix. He's an Iowa kid, and Iowa kids rarely transfer away, especially one who seems to be doing well and has a strong future ahead of him with the team.
  • Peyton Sandfort. Not only is he an Iowa kid and a rising star, but his brother is joining the team next year. He's not going anywhere. You can bet the farm.

Anyway, these are all just my guesses. Feel free to rip them apart. The only thing I will predict with some certainty is this: At least one of these guys will end up in the portal. It's hard to guess who it will be. (I am assuming Connor and Rebraca graduate, and Murray heads to the NBA.)

Reactions: mepohawk
I could see Perkins and/or Ulis departing if Dix and Sandfort start taking more of their minutes the rest of the way.

Perkins would not surprise me at all. He could garner better NIL money elsewhere and it may be that he has had enough of dealing with the McCaffery clan. Just my thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT