ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Ahead

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
The schedule isn't as daunting as this year. In addition we lose some important pieces but I like who could step in.

It starts with defense again and along the line a starting four of Van Ness, Lee, Black and Daniel's would be formidable. Ad Graves, Pickett, Hurkett and the JC commit to the mix, look out.

Higgins has played well and we get Jacob's back at LBer. Castro has been tough as the cash. Dejean and Hall at CB (Moss will be missed), Schulte and Nwankpa at safeties. That would be a very good defense.

On offense the line should be better, return four plus Dejong and Elsbury. Of course Proctor and Lauck are top line recruits.

RB's are all back plus all WR except Ragaini. Johnson's return would be huge. Lachey looks very good, but LaPorta will be missed. At QB, I am anxious to see who comes out of the pack. Will it be Labas, Padilla or May?

A lot returning, we could be much improved in 2023.

Iowa needs to hit the portal for depth. Grabbing an OT is almost a must, I hope davdikov is back. It will be interesting to see who takes a covid year as well

The biggest concern in my mind is who plays QB. I believe we have some good young talent but literally no experience. Maybe, if the right guy was available, we could land a QB from the portal or JC ranks. Whatever happens, it will be interesting.

QB and WR are my biggest concerns. Our OLine will be better. Defense is in good hands… Starts at QB… if Padilla was not good enough to earn relevant snaps that concerns me for next year. Labas? Don’t know much about him. Carson May? We know Kirk is not in the habit of playing young QBs… If the OLine continues to gel all we need is average QB play (at minimum) to have a decent season…

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I really don't see any of our players improving until we get a hard ass coach in here that will abuse them mentally and make men out of them. The future is bleak.

• Haha
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Let's not overlook the elephant in the room of a COVID year for #7. If he continues the capable play of the last 2 weeks he may consider another go.
yes, I was about to post that it is my understanding that Petras is eligible to come back next year and I thought I'd seen somewhere that he alluded to the likelihood of returning. don't know if if was facetious or what, but I thought I'd see such a thing. I believe he has the option due to COVID, though.

Let's not overlook the elephant in the room of a COVID year for #7. If he continues the capable play of the last 2 weeks he may consider another go.
keep-mouth-shut-shut-your-mouth.gif

yes, I was about to post that it is my understanding that Petras is eligible to come back next year and I thought I'd seen somewhere that he alluded to the likelihood of returning. don't know if if was facetious or what, but I thought I'd see such a thing. I believe he has the option due to COVID, though.
Posters on here have said he has another year but most all of them who have an opinion have said Petras has already said this is his last year.

Not sure if can make an NFL practice squad but he has the arm strength and he can make some good bucks doing that...

But maybe he has other plans like hedge fund mgr, business, etc

It starts with defense again and along the line a starting four of Van Ness, Lee, Black and Daniel's would be formidable. Ad Graves, Pickett, Hurkett and the JC commit to the mix, look out.
VanNess is nowgetting some NFL buzz, sadly he may not be back

Iowa needs to hit the portal for depth. Grabbing an OT is almost a must, I hope davdikov is back. It will be interesting to see who takes a covid year as well
I don't think you can hit the portal for depth. Any player in the portal that Iowa would be interested in is going to be looking for a starting gig.

I don't think you can hit the portal for depth. Any player in the portal that Iowa would be interested in is going to be looking for a starting gig.
Huh? I would prefer that the true freshman earn his spot in the starting lineup rather than be gifted it’s. If you get a transfer signed, I don’t think they have a choice.

Huh? I would prefer that the true freshman earn his spot in the starting lineup rather than be gifted it’s. If you get a transfer signed, I don’t think they have a choice.

I feel like that depends on the transfer player in question. If nothing else, we need to find depth and competition on the line. Hopefully much of that can come from guys getting healthy, but I’m not sure we have 10 quality linemen right now if all are healthy.

I believe we have four OL committed in the recruiting class, would expect Proctor to play KF not start next year but idk about the rest.

Would like to at least keep an eye out for one on the line imo.

Any of those graduating OL who think they might have a shot at making the league definitely should use that free year.

Reactions: squeezebox
VanNess needs to come back. Could be an elite pick with another year under his belt. I'm sure he'll get some NIL to tide him over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT