ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the 2023 class

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Currently Iowa has three open spots. Next year, CMac and Rebracca will be leaving.

That is five spots and very likely Kris turns pro. Now we are at six spots.

So what happens next? Will Fran bring in anyone from the portal, so far it has been difficult. I do think Kris will be back for 22-23 season. I'm hopeful Fran adds one from the portal, still leaves us 4 - 6 in 2023.

2023 Class

- Owen Freeman, super excited about his early commitment. Runs well, catches well and good rim defender

- I would be surprised if Pryce Sanfort doesn't commit, good shooting 6' - 6" shooting wing

- Really hoping we get T.J. Powers, he reminds me so much of Aaron White. Great leaper, runs the floor well and can shoot. Roberts is a possibility but I think Indy eventually offers and he stays home.

- Aaron Clark looks like a very athletic wing, Hawks have a shot. Ducharme or Thomas may be other possibilities.

- I think we need another point guard, doubtful we can get Chatham from Minnesota. Johnson is working hard to close the border. Maybe Fran sees Nimmers in that role in the future.

2023 is a critical class for Iowa staying towards the top of the BIG.

Currently Iowa has three open spots. Next year, CMac and Rebracca will be leaving.

That is five spots and very likely Kris turns pro. Now we are at six spots.

So what happens next? Will Fran bring in anyone from the portal, so far it has been difficult. I do think Kris will be back for 22-23 season. I'm hopeful Fran adds one from the portal, still leaves us 4 - 6 in 2023.

2023 Class

- Owen Freeman, super excited about his early commitment. Runs well, catches well and good rim defender

- I would be surprised if Pryce Sanfort doesn't commit, good shooting 6' - 6" shooting wing

- Really hoping we get T.J. Powers, he reminds me so much of Aaron White. Great leaper, runs the floor well and can shoot. Roberts is a possibility but I think Indy eventually offers and he stays home.

- Aaron Clark looks like a very athletic wing, Hawks have a shot. Ducharme or Thomas may be other possibilities.

- I think we need another point guard, doubtful we can get Chatham from Minnesota. Johnson is working hard to close the border. Maybe Fran sees Nimmers in that role in the future.

2023 is a critical class for Iowa staying towards the top of the BIG.

I'm hoping Nimmers is more than just a role player. I think he's going to be needed because we do struggle to get pg's.

Reactions: IAGuy and BBHawk
I think Bowen is the real deal. Great handle, terrific crossover dribble, can take it to the rack to score or distribute

Doubt we see Dix this year. Those serious injuries are very tough to recover from. Hope he does make it back, stronger and better than before.

Nimmers intrigues me. Young man must be able to shoot.

I think the portal is critical to get someone who can help fill the gap from Keegan leaving, unfortunately with all the shenanegans going on with tampering and NIL money, the best talent is being scooped up. Fran also must make sure the player is the right fit. We have a solid returning nucleus, K. Murray and P. Mac are BIG caliber players, Ulis is solid and will need to step up his perimeter shooting, Rebraca got better as the year progressed, Sanford should take up the slack in three point shooting left from Bohannans departure, I think Perkins is the X factor. Will Mulvey or Ogundele provide valuable minutes in the post? Bowen should be an instant contributor. I think this team can be very competitive.

Is JP Estrella still a possibility for Iowa?
Not sure, haven't heard or read much about him lately. With Freeman committed and Mulvey in the wings, not sure Fran is still recruiting him. I think PF, wing players and a point guard are Fran's key areas of concern.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Fran also must make sure the player is the right fit.
We must have one of the hardest teams to fit in with. All I hear is that we need someone who fits in. Guess other coaches aren't as worried about fit as they are about getting more talent.

Brock Harding can flat out pkay basketball. If you haven't seen him, you need to.

Also, I truly believe Josh Dix's best basketball may be behind him. As a medical professional, I've seen very few athletes recover and thrive after a traumatic injury. Dual fractures or compound fractures mean your bones are tough, man.

• Sad
Reactions: perryhawk
Brock Harding can flat out pkay basketball. If you haven't seen him, you need to.

Also, I truly believe Josh Dix's best basketball may be behind him. As a medical professional, I've seen very few athletes recover and thrive after a traumatic injury. Dual fractures or compound fractures mean your bones are tough, man.
We'll just have to wait and see

Love his quickness and toughness but his size is really going to limit his recruiting.

Didn't Paul George have a similar injury?

Paul George is a professional athlete with some of the best training staff in the entire world. Makes it a bit easier to recover from
Did you see his injury? Josh's is not nearly as bad as that one was. That was a compound spiral fracture. It broke skin.

Did you see his injury? Josh's is not nearly as bad as that one was. That was a compound spiral fracture. It broke skin.

The reports I saw said Dix suffered a compound fracture as well. Were those not accurate?

@Franisdaman, I feel like you shouldn't worry all that much about duplicate threads or who started what topic of conversation 10 months ago and who didn't. Quit wasting my, Tom and Blairs time with your petty complaints. You obviously haven't seen the message I sent you earlier today, even though you are on here 24/7, have over 54,000 posts and can't seem to not keep your thoughts and comments out of other threads. Do not send in another report about someone starting a duplicate thread because you have already started the same thread. Got it?

And, yes, I did put this here, in public, because I know you will see it. Grow the hell up and stop acting like a 3 year old!

Mike
Thanks for keeping things in order Mike!

@Franisdaman, I feel like you shouldn't worry all that much about duplicate threads or who started what topic of conversation 10 months ago and who didn't. Quit wasting my, Tom and Blairs time with your petty complaints. You obviously haven't seen the message I sent you earlier today, even though you are on here 24/7, have over 54,000 posts and can't seem to not keep your thoughts and comments out of other threads. Do not send in another report about someone starting a duplicate thread because you have already started the same thread. Got it?

And, yes, I did put this here, in public, because I know you will see it. Grow the hell up and stop acting like a 3 year old!

Mike
This. His constant complaining about that drives so many of us up the damn wall.

Reactions: SB_SB and BBHawk
FWIW on Josh Dix, Fran said in a radio interview just a few weeks ago that the Iowa doctors did their own evaluation on him and he expects Dix to be ready for next season. He said the doctors said that he'll likely be completely done with PT by October and ready to be 100% participant in practice by then. Fran also clarified that he didn't want to pressure Josh to meet that timeline and force to comeback earlier than he's able to. Will be interesting to follow the updates this summer.

FWIW on Josh Dix, Fran said in a radio interview just a few weeks ago that the Iowa doctors did their own evaluation on him and he expects Dix to be ready for next season. He said the doctors said that he'll likely be completely done with PT by October and ready to be 100% participant in practice by then. Fran also clarified that he didn't want to pressure Josh to meet that timeline and force to comeback earlier than he's able to. Will be interesting to follow the updates this summer.
That is good news about Josh, a compound fracture is a serious injury. Healthcare has come a long ways since the 70's when my buddy had one, he never was quite the same.

I wonder who else Fran will bring in this class
I really like the current composition of the team with the new recruits. Iowa can always use new talent, yes, but other than a lack of experience at center, I really like the team. They all play good team defense and can score. If Josh O and Riley can take a step forward (a big step, I hope!), this team could be pretty good as is.

Last edited:
I truly believe Freeman will be a stud for us, all conference level with a possibility of AA accolades if he stays long enough and continues refining his game. Pryce Sandfort has a very high ceiling as well and if we secure him, just having those two is a solid class core. Any studs we reel in after that is just icing on the cake.

I wonder who else Fran will bring in this class
My guess (emphasis on guess) will be that the class will look like Freeman, Pryce Sandfort, Brock Harding, and 1 of TJ Power or JQ Roberts. Feel like if a 5th scholarship opens up Fran will bank it since technically we have 0 "graduating" players for the '24 offseason since Ulis, Perkins, Ogundele, and Patrick all can use a 5th year of eligibility with the COVID waiver.

I want JQ Roberts. Uber bouncy, can shoot mid ranges, and a tough defender. Really really like what he could bring.

Free article from a week ago about JQ's recruitment. Main quote of interest for folks:

TDH: Who are some of the other schools you are talking to right now?

JQR — “Iowa, I’ve been talking to Coach (Sherman) Dillard and Coach (Fran) McCaffery a lot. Butler, I’m going to talk to Coach Thad Matta in a couple days. I’ve been talking with Coach (Dave) Ragland from Butler as well. Recently I got a call from Ohio State. I’ve been talking to Virginia Tech recently, and also Notre Dame a little bit. Marquette was my first official visit and I’ve talked a lot with them as well.”

Indiana hasn't seemed to be interested in him quite yet. I think they're too busy going after 5*s from Montverde to be interested in the 3* hometown kid.

Free article from a week ago about JQ's recruitment. Main quote of interest for folks:

TDH: Who are some of the other schools you are talking to right now?

JQR — “Iowa, I’ve been talking to Coach (Sherman) Dillard and Coach (Fran) McCaffery a lot. Butler, I’m going to talk to Coach Thad Matta in a couple days. I’ve been talking with Coach (Dave) Ragland from Butler as well. Recently I got a call from Ohio State. I’ve been talking to Virginia Tech recently, and also Notre Dame a little bit. Marquette was my first official visit and I’ve talked a lot with them as well.”

Indiana hasn't seemed to be interested in him quite yet. I think they're too busy going after 5*s from Montverde to be interested in the 3* hometown kid.
I like Roberts also and I think Fran we develop his athletic talent, I'm just concerned if Indiana offers he will stay home.

I like Roberts also and I think Fran we develop his athletic talent, I'm just concerned if Indiana offers he will stay home.
Indiana offered him back in October. I don't believe that offer is "actionable" at the moment however. Indiana currently has 2 verbals from the '23 class which are both 4* guards. They've been recruiting PF Kwame Evans pretty hard who is currently the #3 ranked kid in that class on 247. They also recently got "in" on TJ Power and Peja Stojakovic's kid as other higher ranked forwards. Not sure how many scholarships they have open right now for '23, but just from reading their board I think the staff ranks them: Evans, Stojakovic, Power, and then JQ Roberts in a distant 4th. I don't even think the Indiana staff went and watched his games during the last open AAU weekend.
For better or worse, Woodson is recruiting like Indiana is a Blue Blood again. Their 22 class was 2 5*s from Montverde, a 4* from Georgia and then an Indianapolis 3* guy.

Indiana offered him back in October. I don't believe that offer is "actionable" at the moment however. Indiana currently has 2 verbals from the '23 class which are both 4* guards. They've been recruiting PF Kwame Evans pretty hard who is currently the #3 ranked kid in that class on 247. They also recently got "in" on TJ Power and Peja Stojakovic's kid as other higher ranked forwards. Not sure how many scholarships they have open right now for '23, but just from reading their board I think the staff ranks them: Evans, Stojakovic, Power, and then JQ Roberts in a distant 4th. I don't even think the Indiana staff went and watched his games during the last open AAU weekend.
For better or worse, Woodson is recruiting like Indiana is a Blue Blood again. Their 22 class was 2 5*s from Montverde, a 4* from Georgia and then an Indianapolis 3* guy.
I think Roberts would be a great addition to the class. He’s very similar in size and athleticism to the Murray’s, just not quite as skilled at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT