ADVERTISEMENT

looking at the defense

thawk1

Scout Team
May 31, 2015
the DL looks like this

SDE SR Ott returns after finishing 3rd in the BT in sacks behind Bosa of O$U and Gregory of Nebraska who went Pro after his JR year.
his backup looks to be RSFR Hesse, but look for RSSR Spears to give solid relief and or earn the backup spot.

WDE Meier gained 12 lbs of playing weight and still has that RB type speed off the edge. not blazing speed but above avg for a WDE. Claybourn was only 6'3 at SDE.
his backup appears to be 6'8 270 lb RSFR Nelson, strong points size, reach and speed of a TE, better speed for WDE than most just needs experience

DT former 4* RSJR Johnson who has been a backup to Davis, plays with a mean streak and scouts say he is a better pass rusher than Davis and at 6'4 310 lbs will draw double teams that will keep OL off the LB's
his back up is former 4* RSJR Ekakitie who is pushing for a starters job on the DL.

DT RSFR Bazata a 3 time 1st teamer in Nebraska and HVY weight wrestler his SR year, rated the 3rd best player in the state of Nebraska and considering that Ott was rated the 2nd best player in the state of Nebraska and seeing how he has done its reasonable to see Bazata do the same,
his backup looks to be JUCO transfer Terlouw, expect former 4* by 3 sites if healthy to push for a starters spot if he returns healthy, even though a player like Ekakitie will be pushing hard for a starters job. the DL will be just as good and maybe better.

the 2ndary returns 7 of their top 8

RSJR Mabin a converted WR out of FLA will be a 2 year starter this fall
RSJR former 4* by ESPN Fleming is his backup and is IA's top nickel back

JR King who some have talked about has maybe going pro after this season will be the starter.
his backup will be SR Draper used in a dime package

RSSR Lomax will be a 2 year starter in 2015,
RSJR Gair will be his backup and looks to replace Lomax as the starter in 2016 could push for the starters job at SS,

SO Taylor looks to be the starter at SS former GT commit that flipped to Iowa
the backup appears to be RSFR Snyder who some are raving about

now for for the much maligned LB'rs

LEO looks to be SO former WR converted to LB, last year played on ST at 205 lbs and right now weighs 225 lbs
his backup is listed as RSSR Fisher

WLB looks to be RSSO Jewell who finished the season as the starting WLB last season he weighed 215 lbs this season he now weighs 230 lbs. less likely to be run over with the added weight and muscle.
his backup looks to be RSSR Perry

MLB RSSO Bower last years starter at LEO and has added 18 lbs and looks better suited for the MLB position
the backup looks to be RSSR Fisher and RSFR Mends, Mends is hard hitting MLB

the LB'rs are bigger and return experienced and have been moved to position that fit their abilities better as I felt they were playing out of position last year. as a whole the defense finished 17th in total defense, any defense that finishes in the top 20 is not a bad a defense.

adding weight to the LB'rs and switching them to the positions that fit their skills will only make the defense better.

You don't have the LB's in the right positions. Niemann is OLB with Fisher as his backup
Josey is in the middle with Travis Perry backing him up. Bo moved from OLB to WLB and Aaron Mends pushing him for the starting spot.

You don't have the LB's in the right positions. Niemann is OLB with Fisher as his backup
Josey is in the middle with Travis Perry backing him up. Bo moved from OLB to WLB and Aaron Mends pushing him for the starting spot.
Neiman is the LEO, I always get the MLB and WLB because of how they are shown, I just go off what others say and go from there, thx though. Mends was listed as a MLB recruit coming out of HS,

there is a video I found on Mends has a play where he hit a OL ala Sanders and leveled him and tackled the RB at the line of scrimmage.

Mends will push for playing time. He'll be great on special teams. We have 6 solid backers with two more coming in. I think you will see our lb's step up this year, but still make some mistakes because of their lack of experience. If we can stay healthy up front this appears to me a defense that could be dominant.

the kids made typical 1st year starter mistakes, but to many on expected them to play as good as or even better than the 3 that graduated, the were under weight and were pushed around, with more muscle weight I expect there will be far fewer broken tackles.

also they will be reacting better than just going from point A to point B like it is drawn up in the play book, Johnson on the DL was constantly rotating in and out with Davis. so the experience he got last season will serve him well.

I am hopeful that proper positioning by the LBs will make up for the lack of speed. If they continue to take angles like they took in the Tennessee game, for example, they will be looking at the number on the BACK of the opposing team's jerseys a lot. And if we have improved our tackling in the secondary... that will help. No more Lowdermilk-like shoulder bumps.

Reactions: kidclone
I am hopeful that proper positioning by the LBs will make up for the lack of speed. If they continue to take angles like they took in the Tennessee game, for example, they will be looking at the number on the BACK of the opposing team's jerseys a lot. And if we have improved our tackling in the secondary... that will help. No more Lowdermilk-like shoulder bumps.
Neiman is a converted WR, these LB'rs are just as fast as the last 3 LB'rs, but you are right about proper angles being key, but this is where being 2nd year starters in Bower and Jewell will help and the added muscle weight will help as well.

this also will be Mabins a former WR 2nd year as a starter again can't beat starter experience, this is also Lomax's 2nd year as a starter and he started out as a CB before moving to FS.

Reactions: NomisHawk
the DL looks like this

SDE SR Ott returns after finishing 3rd in the BT in sacks behind Bosa of O$U and Gregory of Nebraska who went Pro after his JR year.
his backup looks to be RSFR Hesse, but look for RSSR Spears to give solid relief and or earn the backup spot.

WDE Meier gained 12 lbs of playing weight and still has that RB type speed off the edge. not blazing speed but above avg for a WDE. Claybourn was only 6'3 at SDE.
his backup appears to be 6'8 270 lb RSFR Nelson, strong points size, reach and speed of a TE, better speed for WDE than most just needs experience

DT former 4* RSJR Johnson who has been a backup to Davis, plays with a mean streak and scouts say he is a better pass rusher than Davis and at 6'4 310 lbs will draw double teams that will keep OL off the LB's
his back up is former 4* RSJR Ekakitie who is pushing for a starters job on the DL.

DT RSFR Bazata a 3 time 1st teamer in Nebraska and HVY weight wrestler his SR year, rated the 3rd best player in the state of Nebraska and considering that Ott was rated the 2nd best player in the state of Nebraska and seeing how he has done its reasonable to see Bazata do the same,
his backup looks to be JUCO transfer Terlouw, expect former 4* by 3 sites if healthy to push for a starters spot if he returns healthy, even though a player like Ekakitie will be pushing hard for a starters job. the DL will be just as good and maybe better.

JR King who some have talked about has maybe going pro after this season will be the starter.

RSJR Gair will be his backup and looks to replace Lomax as the starter in 2016 could push for the starters job at SS,

LEO looks to be SO former WR converted to LB, last year played on ST at 205 lbs and right now weighs 225 lbs

WLB looks to be RSSO Jewell who finished the season as the starting WLB last season he weighed 215 lbs this season he now weighs 230 lbs. less likely to be run over with the added weight and muscle.

MLB RSSO Bower last years starter at LEO and has added 18 lbs and looks better suited for the MLB position

the LB'rs are bigger and return experienced and have been moved to position that fit their abilities better as I felt they were playing out of position last year. as a whole the defense finished 17th in total defense, any defense that finishes in the top 20 is not a bad a defense.

adding weight to the LB'rs and switching them to the positions that fit their skills will only make the defense better.

Finishing 17th with one of the worse schedules in the country give you hope?

the DL looks like this

The defense will be good. Possibly really good this season.

That said, this team will exceed expectations if

- The O-Line can open holes for RBs and give Beathard a reasonable level of protection. It's pretty simple this season. I think we're going to run CJ a bit to keep DLs from pinning their ears back.

The defense will be good. Possibly really good this season.

That said, this team will exceed expectations if

- The O-Line can open holes for RBs and give Beathard a reasonable level of protection. It's pretty simple this season. I think we're going to run CJ a bit to keep DLs from pinning their ears back.
The OL is a major key. Opposing defenses will be putting 8-9 in the box until Iowa proves they can do anything. Obvious major growing pains are going to be incurred with the OL..If they can get it together and prove they can be somewhat effective, I think Iowa has a shot at 7-8 wins this year. There is limited depth at many positions, hoping the injury bug does not show up in full force. Overall, I agree the defense has some potential to do quite well. Not having to face so many qaulity backs is something that will help the Iowa "D".

Neiman is the LEO, I always get the MLB and WLB because of how they are shown, I just go off what others say and go from there, thx though. Mends was listed as a MLB recruit coming out of HS,

there is a video I found on Mends has a play where he hit a OL ala Sanders and leveled him and tackled the RB at the line of scrimmage.
I back you up alot, but when your wrong, would you just please admit it! If you don't know how to read the depth chart, then ask someone!

Mends will push for playing time. He'll be great on special teams. We have 6 solid backers with two more coming in. I think you will see our lb's step up this year, but still make some mistakes because of their lack of experience. If we can stay healthy up front this appears to me a defense that could be dominant.

LOL

I think our defense will perform very well this year: DL is experienced and has some young players who could have an impact, Linebacking core could either be very good or fall flat on its face, Jewell and Bower gained some exprience last year and held their own, DB's return some key players such as Desmond King and Jordan Lomax and I believe they'll be solid.

I think our defense will perform very well this year: DL is experienced and has some young players who could have an impact, Linebacking core could either be very good or fall flat on its face, Jewell and Bower gained some exprience last year and held their own, DB's return some key players such as Desmond King and Jordan Lomax and I believe they'll be solid.
Bower and Jewel "held their own"???? C'm on man...Seriously? I'm not saying they are incapable of improvement, but, JFC....They were bad, and I mean bad, last year...Plenty of teams were able to scheme around their inability to function as decent LB's...Did you watch the games last year?

Reactions: Sid.Vicious
Some people have no idea what talent is or looks like especially when they are no longer used to seeing it in our program. Players who struggle to compete at a high level with experience remain players with more experience struggling. We need some of these guys to be unseated. We need difference makers. Not saying we have zero talent and play makers but we are really, really down when you look across the board.

The test is asking yourself which of our guys starts for programs like Wisky, MSU, etc.? I am not even considering OSU because they are off the charts. When you come up with only 2-3 on each side of the ball then this shows you were we are.

Reactions: Sid.Vicious
I think the OP is either a 40 year old drunk , or a 14 year old kid. Hmmm..

Some people have no idea what talent is or looks like especially when they are no longer used to seeing it in our program. Players who struggle to compete at a high level with experience remain players with more experience struggling. We need some of these guys to be unseated. We need difference makers. Not saying we have zero talent and play makers but we are really, really down when you look across the board.

The test is asking yourself which of our guys starts for programs like Wisky, MSU, etc.? I am not even considering OSU because they are off the charts. When you come up with only 2-3 on each side of the ball then this shows you were we are.
I heard that last year as well and then we go and have 9 players in NFL camps as draftees or free agents. We missed winning the B1G West by 2 plays. I don't think last year was talent, rather a couple of positions that were very raw(inexperienced and not ready physically) and special teams were not good. And to me the most glaring program was lack of running game. We had zero depth at RB and a banged up Weisman was hard to watch at times. Having to play guys too early has been a problem not the talent itself. Playing the Bowers and Wadleys as a redshirt freshman is what has hurt us.

I heard that last year as well and then we go and have 9 players in NFL camps as draftees or free agents. We missed winning the B1G West by 2 plays. I don't think last year was talent, rather a couple of positions that were very raw(inexperienced and not ready physically) and special teams were not good. And to me the most glaring program was lack of running game. We had zero depth at RB and a banged up Weisman was hard to watch at times. Having to play guys too early has been a problem not the talent itself. Playing the Bowers and Wadleys as a redshirt freshman is what has hurt us.

This is what too many refuse to recognize. We live in a won/lost world and the stumble down the stretch last year made the Hawks look much worse than they really were.

This is what too many refuse to recognize. We live in a won/lost world and the stumble down the stretch last year made the Hawks look much worse than they really were.
What about that "stumble" towards the beginning of the year against the Clowns? How could a team play worse than they did against that abomination? How about that destruction of a putrid team like Ball State? You think getting completely obliterated by a so-so Minny team was a "stumble"? The team showed what they were capable of when they went up against a mid tier team like Tenn that was playing with a bunch of back ups,Fresh, and Sophs. It was men against boys and they were the much younger team. Iowa played Nebby with Nebby playing a 3rd string Center, another back up OL, they didn't have Randy Gregory, or a starter in the defensive backfield.. Think the game would have been that close, with Nebby at full speed?

the DL looks like this

Meier showed nothing near RB speed last year. He looked like had a leg injury (to me) for a good part of the season, but we need way better production out of him or someone else in the position

What about that "stumble" towards the beginning of the year against the Clowns? How could a team play worse than they did against that abomination? How about that destruction of a putrid team like Ball State? You think getting completely obliterated by a so-so Minny team was a "stumble"? The team showed what they were capable of when they went up against a mid tier team like Tenn that was playing with a bunch of back ups,Fresh, and Sophs. It was men against boys and they were the much younger team. Iowa played Nebby with Nebby playing a 3rd string Center, another back up OL, they didn't have Randy Gregory, or a starter in the defensive backfield.. Think the game would have been that close, with Nebby at full speed?

So, its hopeless then?

True. But it never helps when our AD is talking like a clone fan about the great environment against Wisconsin and how fun the game was and the atmosphere despite coming up short on the scoreboard. That's loser talk. Sad that's what's it's come to after last season. Plus most people's last memory of Iowa is blowing a lead to Nebraska, getting run over by Tenn and watching Parker throw the kickoff back in bounds.

This is the same talk as I said you use to be able to laugh at when pollard or rhoads made a statement like this.

Reactions: paul.crewe
Losing close is Kirk's specialty.

We're always just a play or two away. It's how he fools stupid people into thinking he can coach.

Bower and Jewel "held their own"???? C'm on man...Seriously? I'm not saying they are incapable of improvement, but, JFC....They were bad, and I mean bad, last year...Plenty of teams were able to scheme around their inability to function as decent LB's...Did you watch the games last year?
From what I saw they played better than Alston and Spearman, so yeah they did alright, Alston couldn't cover a boat if he were a tarp, we will be FINE.

From what I saw they played better than Alston and Spearman, so yeah they did alright, Alston couldn't cover a boat if he were a tarp, we will be FINE.

I liked what I saw from Jewell. Not sold on Bower. The larger issue is the concern that both are now 4 year starters just because the earned their union card by playing last year? If our program is healthy both would be facing stiff competition for those spots from guys we are are bringing in and/or coming off RS.

The perception is we make guys wait who might be potentially better than the starter. A hidden factor that also could be hurting recruiting. Play the best 22 regardless of who played the year before especially when we are having mediocre to poor seasons.

Neiman is a converted WR, these LB'rs are just as fast as the last 3 LB'rs, but you are right about proper angles being key, but this is where being 2nd year starters in Bower and Jewell will help and the added muscle weight will help as well.

this also will be Mabins a former WR 2nd year as a starter again can't beat starter experience, this is also Lomax's 2nd year as a starter and he started out as a CB before moving to FS.

Yes to the above. I think the secondary is sitting very good, with experience and athletic ability in both corners. King is proven, but I think that Mabin will play even faster, more aggressive - remember it wasn't long ago that KMM said that Mabin was one of the fastest guys on the team. Lomax is owning his role and coming down hard, and I like the abilities of Taylor and Snyder, and I think the latter will see time at both free and strong safety this year.

I think that Jewell and Niemann have found their spots, and I think that Bower will do well with his experience and apparent quick learning (remember that he was the first of this trio to see playing time, so he obviously learns the schemes quickly). Honestly, I hope to see Mends push for time at weakside this year because I think that is where his skill set lies and his ceiling is higher. If he succeeds, then we would have a rotational backer in Bower that could play both weakside and LEO.

The D should be pretty good next year. Most are still underclass men, so they could have a nice run on D the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT