ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the Hawks this fall

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Schedule is much more difficult but I actually think we'll be a better team than last year.

Everything starts in the trenches and I think our OL and DL will be much improved. Replacing Linderbaum will be tough but I think our tackle play will be much improved. We were so young and inexperienced at tackle, really hampered our passing game. Petras took a beating last year. Don't underestimate the impact of a new coach, after a year together the line should adapt and respond better to Barnett's style. Our defensive line was also very young, I think this will be one of our strengths this year. LBer is very experienced and with Merriwether and Moss returning to mix in with our young DB's, our defense should be solid.

On offense it starts with our QB. I read where someone ranked Petras 13th out of 14 Big Ten QB's. I do not agree, give Spencer a little time and he can make all the throws. With a third year under his belt I'm looking for significant improvement. We return our top two TE's plus a quality transfer. Out top 4 WR's return also. Plenty of weapons. I actually think our running game will be better. Our backs won't be as explosive but Williams x 2 are more power runners so combined with better line play the offense should be more consistent. Pottebaum is a senior who can really block.

Special teams should once again be solid if we find another consistent kicker.

Barring the injury bug, I have high hopes for this year.

Go Hawks.

When you go to a restaurant for a steak dinner, the trimmings, side dishes and dessert are all important.

But, it's all about the steak.

In 2022, I'm pretty pumped about the 2 deeps. The Hawks must have better results from the offense, which includes OL, WR's running game, etc, etc.

But, it's all about the QB.

When you go to a restaurant for a steak dinner, the trimmings, side dishes and dessert are all important.

In 2022, I'm pretty pumped about the 2 deeps. The Hawks must have better results from the offense, which includes OL, WR's running game, etc, etc.

Our steak the last couple of years has been overcooked. Time to take it off the grill, and find a new steer.

Schedule is much more difficult but I actually think we'll be a better team than last year.

Everything starts in the trenches and I think our OL and DL will be much improved. Replacing Linderbaum will be tough but I think our tackle play will be much improved. We were so young and inexperienced at tackle, really hampered our passing game. Petras took a beating last year. Don't underestimate the impact of a new coach, after a year together the line should adapt and respond better to Barnett's style. Our defensive line was also very young, I think this will be one of our strengths this year. LBer is very experienced and with Merriwether and Moss returning to mix in with our young DB's, our defense should be solid.

On offense it starts with our QB. I read where someone ranked Petras 13th out of 14 Big Ten QB's. I do not agree, give Spencer a little time and he can make all the throws. With a third year under his belt I'm looking for significant improvement. We return our top two TE's plus a quality transfer. Out top 4 WR's return also. Plenty of weapons. I actually think our running game will be better. Our backs won't be as explosive but Williams x 2 are more power runners so combined with better line play the offense should be more consistent. Pottebaum is a senior who can really block.

Go Hawks.
Petras being capable of making “all the throws” has never been the issue. The issue has been for every accurate downfield pass made there were ten egregious overthrows or worm rapers that came before it.

I do like how our schedule is set up. 3 non conf at kinnick. But of our 3 Big 10 games before bye go to Illinois and Rutgers places that aren’t hostile. Expect just as many Iowa fans in champagne or close to it. We have Michigan sandwiched in between at Kinnick on 10/1. Possible night game? Think with a lot of what Michigan lost on D this one could be ripe for the taking. I think a lot of people including myself expect Iowa to be 5-1 or 6-0 going into the bye week with the daunting trip to Columbus after.

This is what…..Petras’s 5th year in the program? He is what he is, and unlikely to be any better. He will be the weak link.

Given the schedule and QB…..I will be happy with 7-8 wins.

No you definitely won’t be happy, you’ll still be bitching!

But more importantly did you improve at your job, your life, being a friend, husband, son, anything since you were 22….

If the answer is no then man do I feel bad for you and any of your family and friends.

Most of the rest of us have improved immensely from just five years ago in our current lives but old Spencer sure can’t!

What a stupid take!

Petras being capable of making “all the throws” has never been the issue. The issue has been for every accurate downfield pass made there were ten egregious overthrows or worm rapers that came before it.

1 of 10, you willing to stand on that 🤔

This is what…..Petras’s 5th year in the program? He is what he is, and unlikely to be any better. He will be the weak link.

SP being the starter is saving me thousands on tics and travel costs. Will wait until he’s dethroned b4 going to another game.

SP being the starter is saving me thousands on tics and travel costs. Will wait until he’s dethroned b4 going to another game.

That’s good of you. Gives another, less critical fan who probably hasn’t git to see their favorite team play live, a chance to go!

Kudos to you, I think this other group of fans taking your spot is probably gonna get a chance to see a heckuva team this year!

Reactions: F5n5
That’s good of you. Gives another, less critical fan who probably hasn’t git to see their favorite team play live, a chance to go!

Kudos to you, I think this other group of fans taking your spot is probably gonna get a chance to see a heckuva team this year!
Saying it how it is…. You can’t handle the truth…. You probably don’t even donate or have season tics.

No you definitely won’t be happy, you’ll still be bitching!

But more importantly did you improve at your job, your life, being a friend, husband, son, anything since you were 22….

If the answer is no then man do I feel bad for you and any of your family and friends.

Most of the rest of us have improved immensely from just five years ago in our current lives but old Spencer sure can’t!

What a stupid take!
You’re right……everything is just fine and dandy. No problems or concerns anywhere. Petras will magically jump from being rated the #13 QB in the Big 10 to an All-American.

Thank God we have Superfans such as yourself to put anyone who DARES offer a criticism in their place. We should not expect wins…..just accept everything without question.

Saying it how it is…. You can’t handle the truth…. You probably don’t even donate or have season tics.

I also said it how it is… I meant every single thing I said. Why the hell would the team need you there (let alone your more positive neighbor fans) when they could have someone much less critical and much more appreciative.

I don’t know what could be “more real “than that.

Here is The Truth: you made the comment in attempt to be shitty and I made a responding comment to point out nobody cares if you show up or not.

Someone will take your spot… Nothing could be more “True” than that.

I just enjoy pointing out to people their tantrums and taking a “stand“ are utterly insignificant… They’re not empowering, they're meaningless and here you are on a message board making a stand… Good for you but it’s meaningless all the same. Your spot will be filled. The only person that pays the price is you…

Unless of course you are so jaded and so disenchanted with Iowa football, which is fine and your right of course (I feel that way about Sports period) in which case, I’d quit following them at all. But we don’t really need a proclamation on what you’re going to do….

We appreciate it though, another mad, angry, hostile fan who isn’t going to support the team anymore…super get in line, millions of you all over the world!

Last edited:
You’re right……everything is just fine and dandy. No problems or concerns anywhere. Petras will magically jump from being rated the #13 QB in the Big 10 to an All-American.

Thank God we have Superfans such as yourself to put anyone who DARES offer a criticism in their place. We should not expect wins…..just accept everything without question.

Aaaaaahhh the old super fans comment followed by a bunch of bullshit. Strong rebuttal…

Let’s itemize….

1st..have you improved in life since you were 22. Job, as a friend, as anything…

2nd… you said you’d be happy with seven or eight wins. That’s a lie based on your posting history…If it were true you and I wouldn’t even be having this talk. Youll be here consistently bashing the team…

3rd… at any time have you ever heard me say fine and dandy in a sentence, let alone used it to describe our team or our coaches?

4th… why don’t you give the board four or five hopeful hires that you believe would be doing a much better job here in Iowa city than what we currently have. And I’m not talking Dabo Swinney or Nick Saban or Lincoln Riley who oh by the way still hasn’t fielded a consistently solid the defense etc. etc….

More than anything I’m a pragmatist… If you can give me some reasonable insight on the above. I’ll come back around and tell you I apologize and I have miss read you all these years.

Please do try I actually love apologizing and finding common ground it’s quite cathartic!

Last edited:

Lol. #13 by a freaking Yahoo reporter. Ranking QBs ahead of him that have never taken a snap for a Big Ten team. Dumb.

I also said it how it is… I meant every single thing I said. Why the hell would the team need you there (let alone your more positive neighbor fans) when they could have someone much less critical and much more appreciative.

I don’t know what could be “more real “than that.

Here is The Truth: you made the comment in attempt to be shitty and I made a responding comment to point out nobody cares if you show up or not.

Someone will take your spot… Nothing could be more “True” than that.

I just enjoy pointing out to people their tantrums and taking a “stand“ are utterly insignificant… They’re not empowering, they're meaningless and here you are on a message board making a stand… Good for you but it’s meaningless all the same. Your spot will be filled. The only person that pays the price is you…

Unless of course you are so jaded and so disenchanted with Iowa football, which is fine and your right of course (I feel that way about Sports period) in which case, I’d quit following them at all. But we don’t really need a proclamation on what you’re going to do….

We appreciate it though, another mad, angry, hostile fan who isn’t going to support the team anymore…super get in line, millions of you all over the world!
So you don’t donate or have season tics? Some fan you are….

Hmmmm…. Yes of course you have nothing else to say so you fixat on that…

No I have six kids, I also take tithing pretty seriously or at least I did until we’ve been in between Churches since Covid. I am never going to donate to a university or a “sports team“ that doesn’t have my children on it. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars bringing my kid up through sports… And I’m gonna tell you, you bitchers are everywhere!

Here’s a couple other things I’m not going to do anymore (meaning I may have and learned better)….

Tell people on a message i’m not supporting XY or Z until HIJ happens… it is utterly useless and more indicative of the person making such proclamations than anything else…

Im also not going to continually rail against the wind on something I have literally no control over….

I am never going to assume somebody “can’t improve“ or can’t change….

I’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth or take for granted my favorite sports team, again we’re talking about a hobby here, so I’m not going to take one of my favorite hobbies & over critique them when their five year trend is one of the best in program history and one of the best in the nation…

i’m not gonna take myself so seriously that I think my proclamation of what I am or aren’t going to do needs to be said on a message board at all…. just because I’m being shitty because things aren’t working the way I want them to….

Actually I could go on and on would you like more….

Bottom line I find ultra-critical people the bane of society and if I’m around it and I have to listen to it over and over again. I’m definitely gonna let him know what I think just like you feel the need to let us know you think the football team sucks and Spencer Petras is one of the two or three main reasons….

I can’t imagine we have much more to discuss because if you toss out some new piece of bullshit I am going to respond to it and tell you how dumb it is…

Reactions: Fair Child

You know what, if we win 10 games with a similar offense, I can live with that. I'll still shake my head and think "what if", but the wins are more important than the performance of any individual unit.

That being said, I think our run game will see far fewer 0 or negative rushes, which will make a huge difference. We saw it already in the bowl game. Receivers are more mature and experienced, 0-line should have fewer weak spots. One star on the line doesn't get it done, I'd much rather have 5 solid performers.

I'm gonna take a "wait and see" attitude with Petras. I think he's got the tools, but can he finally settle down and just play the game. I'm hoping so. A more balanced and overall stronger O-line would help immensely.

D looks to be really salty again. I just don't see a weakness there other than the teams that have learned how to exploit our overall philosophy (talking primarily about Purdue).

This team, as it looks now, should be better than last year's team. Schedule is rough, but this team will be a tough out for pretty much every opponent.

Hmmmm…. Yes of course you have nothing else to say so you fixat on that…

No I have six kids, I also take tithing pretty seriously or at least I did until we’ve been in between Churches since Covid. I am never going to donate to a university or a “sports team“ that doesn’t have my children on it. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars bringing my kids up through sports… And I’m gonna tell you, you bitchers are everywhere!

Here’s a couple other things I’m not going to do anymore (meaning I may have and learned better)….

Tell people on a message Im not supporting XY or Z until H, I & J happens… it is utterly useless and more indicative of the person making such proclamations than anything else…

Im also not going to continually rail against the wind on something I have literally no control over….

I am never going to assume somebody “can’t improve“ or can’t change….

I’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth or take for granted my favorite sports team, again we’re talking about a hobby here, so I’m not going to take one of my favorite hobbies & over critique them when their five year trend is one of the best in program history and one of the best in the nation…

I’m not gonna take myself so seriously that I think my proclamation of what I am or aren’t going to do needs to be said on a message board at all…. just because I’m being shitty because things aren’t working the way I want them to….

Actually I could go on and on would you like more….

Bottom line I find ultra-critical people the bane of society and if I’m around it and I have to listen to it over and over again I’m definitely gonna let him know what I think just like you feel the need to let us know you think the football team sucks and Spencer Petras is one of the two or three main reasons….

I can’t imagine we have much more to discuss because if you toss out some new piece of bullshit I am going to respond to it and tell you how dumb it is…

Go Hawks.
Welcome to February.... ;)

Aaaaaahhh the old super fans comment followed by a bunch of bullshit. Strong rebuttal…

Let’s itemize….

1st..have you improved in life since you were 22. Job, as a friend, as anything…

2nd… you said you’d be happy with seven or eight wins. That’s a lie based on your posting history…If it were true you and I wouldn’t even be having this talk. Youll be here consistently bashing the team…

3rd… at any time have you ever heard me say fine and dandy in a sentence, let alone used it to describe our team or our coaches?

4th… why don’t you give the board four or five hopeful hires that you believe would be doing a much better job here in Iowa city than what we currently have. And I’m not talking Dabo Swinney or Nick Saban or Lincoln Riley who oh by the way still hasn’t fielded a consistently solid the defense etc. etc….

More than anything I’m a pragmatist… If you can give me some reasonable insight on the above. I’ll come back around and tell you I apologize and I have miss read you all these years.

Please do try I actually love apologizing and finding common ground it’s quite cathartic!
1. Irrelevant. But I’ll play. Did Petras really improve all that much last year? And you think he is magically going to make huge strides this year? Maybe he will. I hope he does. So far he has shown me nothing to think he will. That’s not a knock on Petras the person.

2. Not a lie. And I don’t “constantly bash” the team. I offer criticism where I think it’s due. I also praise when it is due. I expected 8 wins last season and stated several times how happy I was with 10. That doesn’t mean I can’t be unhappy with the QB, O-line play, or Brian.

3. Since you rarely (if ever) say anything negative about the players or coaches (mostly you just call out and lecture anyone who does), it is inferred that you think everything is fine.

4. Stupid. The old, tired, ridiculous “who do you think can do better” argument. I’m not calling for Kirk to be fired.

You don‘t buy season tickets or donate. You’re full of excuses why. But I do.

You even state you won’t donate unless you have a kid on a team. Wow.

Then you sit and pass judgement on anyone who DARES offer criticism on a team that you all but admit you have nothing invested in. Talk about holier-than-thou!

Last edited:
Reactions: DewHawk

To be honest ... if the Hawks can get through the first 4 games undefeated (not a given) ... then I really think that there is a great chance that the Hawks can get through the first 8 games with a 7-1 record.

If we get out to a good start, remain pretty healthy, and gain some confidence ... I think that we avenge our loss to Michigan.

However, even with a 7-1 start through the first 8 games ... right after the Northwestern game (the 8th game) ... we have a tough stretch against the best teams in the west ... the likes of Purdue, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

If we manage the 7-1 start ... I don't think that we lose any more than 2 of them (with a definite shot to win each).

Nebbers is nebbers ... who cares.

Anyhow, I see a 9-3 season as a very feasible outcome.

Along the lines of the OP's contention ... while the secondary will likely NOT be quite as good as last season when they were at the peak of their health. However, given all the adversity we had in the secondary last season ... especially at CB ... it's plausible that the '22 group might "hold their own." As for the rest of the D ... across the board, that group should be improved. They have some "dudes." I'm still mystified that the '21 D was as good as they were given the relative inexperience of our DL/LBs (all of Jack and Seth's prior starts were in a covid-limited regular season ... with Jack being injured early that season too!). Now that situation has completely flipped.

As for the O ... I don't want to jinx anything ... but it's truly hard to imagine the O playing any worse than they did through the latter half of the '21 regular season.

Probably the "ceiling" of the regular season is at 11-1 ... while the bottom is MAYBE at 7-5 (more like 8-4). Splitting the difference ... playing the averages, even with the tougher schedule, we're probably looking at an 8-4 or 9-3 season. Definitely nothing to sneeze at.

While not terribly insightful ... if the Hawks get past Wisconsin ... I think that we win the West (again).

2. Not a lie. And I don’t “constantly bash” the team. I offer criticism where I think it’s due. I also praise when it is due. I expected 8 wins last season and stated several times how happy I was with 10. That doesn’t mean I can’t be unhappy with the QB, O-line play, or Brian.
Drawing inferences on your "lack of happiness" ... can I use the same logic to indict a religion based on the idiocy of SOME of its followers? [for those who aren't following my logic here - the answer is NO]

Just because we might have "opinions" doesn't always imply that our justifications are adequate ... just sayin'.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I am always optimistic this time of year for the upcoming season. The defense should be rock solid and they will likely win their share of games for us this year. The offense has an opportunity to be much improved this year. Despite losing Lindy, the OL could be a better unit. The big question mark is, of course, will be QB play. With better play from the OL and a more consistent effort from the RBs, we might be able to avoid all the third and long situations we were constantly in last year. I expect Petras to be the first game starter but, I think we will get our first look at Labas. It should be interesting.

Overall, I believe we will have a better team this year but, the more daunting schedule is going to make it more difficult to reach 10 wins before bowl season. Still, I can't wait to kick things off on September 3rd.

Reactions: cmhawks99
To be honest ... if the Hawks can get through the first 4 games undefeated (not a given) ... then I really think that there is a great chance that the Hawks can get through the first 8 games with a 7-1 record.

If we get out to a good start, remain pretty healthy, and gain some confidence ... I think that we avenge our loss to Michigan.

However, even with a 7-1 start through the first 8 games ... right after the Northwestern game (the 8th game) ... we have a tough stretch against the best teams in the west ... the likes of Purdue, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

If we manage the 7-1 start ... I don't think that we lose any more than 2 of them (with a definite shot to win each).

Nebbers is nebbers ... who cares.

Anyhow, I see a 9-3 season as a very feasible outcome.

Along the lines of the OP's contention ... while the secondary will likely NOT be quite as good as last season when they were at the peak of their health. However, given all the adversity we had in the secondary last season ... especially at CB ... it's plausible that the '22 group might "hold their own." As for the rest of the D ... across the board, that group should be improved. They have some "dudes." I'm still mystified that the '21 D was as good as they were given the relative inexperience of our DL/LBs (all of Jack and Seth's prior starts were in a covid-limited regular season ... with Jack being injured early that season too!). Now that situation has completely flipped.

As for the O ... I don't want to jinx anything ... but it's truly hard to imagine the O playing any worse than they did through the latter half of the '21 regular season.

Probably the "ceiling" of the regular season is at 11-1 ... while the bottom is MAYBE at 7-5 (more like 8-4). Splitting the difference ... playing the averages, even with the tougher schedule, we're probably looking at an 8-4 or 9-3 season. Definitely nothing to sneeze at.

While not terribly insightful ... if the Hawks get past Wisconsin ... I think that we win the West (again).
I would take 9-3!

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
Is that the only way to be a fan? Throw money at something? Guess I'll turn my fan card in as well.
Hmm, overreact much? He's calling me out for not being a fan b/c I criticize QB play so wanted him to put his $ where his mouth is.... Was just trying to make a point you can still be a fan and be critical at the same time. Not everything is rosy.

Drawing inferences on your "lack of happiness" ... can I use the same logic to indict a religion based on the idiocy of SOME of its followers? [for those who aren't following my logic here - the answer is NO]

Just because we might have "opinions" doesn't always imply that our justifications are adequate ... just sayin'.
No. Not the same. I was very happy with the Hawks’ season and overall results in 2020. Just because I was not happy with Brian (never have been, to be honest), the QB and O-line play, doesn’t mean I can’t be happy with the team as a whole. So basically we agree on that Line of logic.

The thing about opinions is…..people are going to have them. How they arrive at them is going to differ. The justifications may or may not be valid to someone else. Heck….there are foods I say I hate, even though I have never tried them!

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawkeyes17
1. Irrelevant. But I’ll play. Did Petras really improve all that much last year? And you think he is magically going to make huge strides this year? Maybe he will. I hope he does. So far he has shown me nothing to think he will. That’s not a knock on Petras the person.

3. Since you rarely (if ever) say anything negative about the players or coaches (mostly you just call out and lecture anyone who does), it is inferred that you think everything is fine.

4. Stupid. The old, tired, ridiculous “who do you think can do better” argument. I’m not calling for Kirk to be fired.

You don‘t buy season tickets or donate. You’re full of excuses why. But I do.

You even state you won’t donate unless you have a kid on a team. Wow.

Then you sit and pass judgement on anyone who DARES offer criticism on a team that you all but admit you have nothing invested in. Talk about holier-than-thou!

Bit of a reach at the end there, I can probably wrap this all by explaining me….

I’m a diehard fan..I still get angry and I still cry in big wins and gross losses. But there are a lot of things way more important in my life than Iowa football and therefore somebody that takes it so seriously that they spend gross amount of times over the last 10-15 years bitching about the coaches on a message board… WTF?!

Well I don’t think it takes a very discerning eye to understand the difference between me and that person… I am here sparingly sometimes being gone for months to a year at a time and when I come back and see the same old shit, yeah you better believe I’m gonna point it out because see that’s “my” thing… I don’t get it, it’s never going to make sense for me….that’s all you need to know about me.

A quick analogy that I think you probably will get but will be lost on most of these yahoos….

Oklahoma has had a playoff team for the last what 10 years give or take meaning a playoff quality team maybe longer but they never get over the hump and do you know why; because once Bobby stoops changed his spots, from a defensive first guy to an offensive first guy they’ve never fielded a highly competitive defense…

I get how hard it is to switch our focus for fear of losing what we’re famous for. I think and I hope you get it… It’s way harder than us messageboard bitches get… And so yes I get super tired of people that can’t see the other end of the tunnel. Meaning it ain’t so easy to fix, adjust etc. etc. and not dramatically change your team dynamic and most of these guys don’t get that otherwise they wouldn’t be so over top with their criticisms?! Just saying…

Aaaaaannnnnddd, although I’ve diligently tried to fix many of my emotional/personality quirks this is one I’m not likely to ever get “fixed“ hence why I stay away from the message boards in totality for massive lengths of time….

No I am never going to get someone who says a 22 year old can’t improve and I’m never going to get somebody that constantly complains about a team when they’re actually improving at a fairly significant rate over the last several years!

No I’m never gonna get it…!! You do, super but if you have a right to say those things I certainly have a right to address them!

they are wasteful, potentially very hurtful, and useless!

Last edited:

That’s good stuff right there & quite true!

Hmm, overreact much? He's calling me out for not being a fan b/c I criticize QB play so wanted him to put his $ where his mouth is.... Was just trying to make a point you can still be a fan and be critical at the same time. Not everything is rosy.

Whoa….. not once did I call you “not a fan“ or a “bad fan”….you made that up yourself.

And if you’re trying to imply what I “implied“…I’d look a little deeper & far reaching than fandom. I’m talking about human nature… And people that incessantly piss and moan are not fun people to be around, now what…..?!

I mean let’s be honest I’m calling your humanity into question not your fandom and oh by the way it’s not because you bitch “a little“ it’s because you’re part of the group that can’t stop….

Again, just sayin’….:)

ADVERTISEMENT