ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the Hawks this fall

This is what…..Petras’s 5th year in the program? He is what he is, and unlikely to be any better. He will be the weak link.

Given the schedule and QB…..I will be happy with 7-8 wins.

I don’t disagree about what the quality of Petras has been, and I think we know what kind of qb he is physically…I will disagree that at age 22/23 he can’t get better. It doesn’t even take a huge leap for him, more than anything he just needs to process plays better imo. Whether it’s getting rid of the ball if the play is dead or seeing open receivers when a play is off schedule…I honestly don’t think he has to improve a ton to simply be “decent”.

That said, I do hope Labas closes the gal enough this spring-fall that if Petras doesn’t hold on to the job, it’s not by default.

Reactions: iowaflash
I don’t disagree about what the quality of Petras has been, and I think we know what kind of qb he is physically…I will disagree that at age 22/23 he can’t get better. It doesn’t even take a huge leap for him, more than anything he just needs to process plays better imo. Whether it’s getting rid of the ball if the play is dead or seeing open receivers when a play is off schedule…I honestly don’t think he has to improve a ton to simply be “decent”.

That said, I do hope Labas closes the gal enough this spring-fall that if Petras doesn’t hold on to the job, it’s not by default.
I never said he *can’t* get better. My opinion is that he is *unlikely to*. In another post I said maybe he will, and that I hope he does.

Reactions: iowaflash
You know what, if we win 10 games with a similar offense, I can live with that. I'll still shake my head and think "what if", but the wins are more important than the performance of any individual unit.

That being said, I think our run game will see far fewer 0 or negative rushes, which will make a huge difference. We saw it already in the bowl game. Receivers are more mature and experienced, 0-line should have fewer weak spots. One star on the line doesn't get it done, I'd much rather have 5 solid performers.

I'm gonna take a "wait and see" attitude with Petras. I think he's got the tools, but can he finally settle down and just play the game. I'm hoping so. A more balanced and overall stronger O-line would help immensely.

D looks to be really salty again. I just don't see a weakness there other than the teams that have learned how to exploit our overall philosophy (talking primarily about Purdue).

This team, as it looks now, should be better than last year's team. Schedule is rough, but this team will be a tough out for pretty much every opponent.
And theres the thing right there. If we're going to be predicting next seasons success, Its a LOT more fun to take a positive approach then a negative one. Since what we think will happen means absolutely nothing at this point, then I'd rather go with something closer to a best case scenario. Lifes too damn short to always be a glass half empty guy.......

Reactions: F5n5
I never said he *can’t* get better. My opinion is that he is *unlikely to*. In another post I said maybe he will, and that I hope he does.
I think even “unlikely” is a poor choice of words.

I think he gets better, whether it’s by a step big enough to deserve keeping his spot absent either Padilla or Labas pushing him.

Bit of a reach at the end there, I can probably wrap this all by explaining me….

I’m a diehard fan..I still get angry and I still cry in big wins and gross losses. But there are a lot of things way more important in my life than Iowa football and therefore somebody that takes it so seriously that they spend gross amount of times over the last 10-15 years bitching about the coaches on a message board… WTF?!

Well I don’t think it takes a very discerning eye to understand the difference between me and that person… I am here sparingly sometimes being gone for months to a year at a time and when I come back and see the same old shit, yeah you better believe I’m gonna point it out because see that’s “my” thing… I don’t get it, it’s never going to make sense for me….that’s all you need to know about me.

A quick analogy that I think you probably will get but will be lost on most of these yahoos….

Oklahoma has had a playoff team for the last what 10 years give or take meaning a playoff quality team maybe longer but they never get over the hump and do you know why; because once Bobby stoops changed his spots, from a defensive first guy to an offensive first guy they’ve never fielded a highly competitive defense…

I get how hard it is to switch our focus for fear of losing what we’re famous for. I think and I hope you get it… It’s way harder than us messageboard bitches get… And so yes I get super tired of people that can’t see the other end of the tunnel. Meaning it ain’t so easy to fix, adjust etc. etc. and not dramatically change your team dynamic and most of these guys don’t get that otherwise they wouldn’t be so over top with their criticisms?! Just saying…

Aaaaaannnnnddd, although I’ve diligently tried to fix many of my emotional/personality quirks this is one I’m not likely to ever get “fixed“ hence why I stay away from the message boards in totality for massive lengths of time….

No I am never going to get someone who says a 22 year old can’t improve and I’m never going to get somebody that constantly complains about a team when they’re actually improving at a fairly significant rate over the last several years!

No I’m never gonna get it…!! You do, super but if you have a right to say those things I certainly have a right to address them!

they are wasteful, potentially very hurtful, and useless!
Are you really a “diehard” fan? Do you really get angry over losses? Based on your posting history, I am sceptical.

Usually your posts consist of berating anyone who criticizes or says anything negative, while acting smug, arrogant, and superior.

You don’t like people posting anything negative? Then perhaps a public message board isn’t for you. Maybe you can start your own where only positive posts are allowed.

Hawkeye Report is a place where fans can gather to discuss our beloved Hawks. Yes, that includes complaining. Many use this as an outlet to vent their frustrations. I know I do. Better here than having it carry over into my personal life.

I don’t like people who are always negative either. I also don’t care for those on the other end of the spectrum who act like they are better than everyone else and enjoy lecturing anyone who criticizes or says anything negative. The members of the Sunshine Club are every bit as irritating as the Always Raining Club.

As for your contention that I said a 22 year old can’t improve…….I challenge you to give an example of where I ever said that. I never said Petras can’t improve. Not once. I expressed the OPINION that I felt he was unlikely to. Big difference. I also said in a different post that maybe he will, and I hope he does.

I think even “unlikely” is a poor choice of words.

I think he gets better, whether it’s by a step big enough to deserve keeping his spot absent either Padilla or Labas pushing him.
Maybe so. Theoretically he could “get better” and still not be a good QB. I’m defining being “better” as a relatively significant improvement, not a minute one.

It‘s all a matter of perspective. I probably could have phrased it differently.

Are you really a “diehard” fan? Do you really get angry over losses? Based on your posting history, I am sceptical.

Usually your posts consist of berating anyone who criticizes or says anything negative, while acting smug, arrogant, and superior.

You don’t like people posting anything negative? Then perhaps a public message board isn’t for you. Maybe you can start your own where only positive posts are allowed.

Hawkeye Report is a place where fans can gather to discuss our beloved Hawks. Yes, that includes complaining. Many use this as an outlet to vent their frustrations. I know I do. Better here than having it carry over into my personal life.

I don’t like people who are always negative either. I also don’t care for those on the other end of the spectrum who act like they are better than everyone else and enjoy lecturing anyone who criticizes or says anything negative. The members of the Sunshine Club are every bit as irritating as the Always Raining Club.

As for your contention that I said a 22 year old can’t improve…….I challenge you to give an example of where I ever said that. I never said Petras can’t improve. Not once. I expressed the OPINION that I felt he was unlikely to. Big difference. I also said in a different post that maybe he will, and I hope he does.

Here’s what I love about you cats you just lump so much bullshit together. Honestly it can’t be a surprise to you that there are a ton of people in here that also get tired of your and other peoples constant negative bullshit, right?

That surely isn’t surprising to you right, because if it is I’d say you need to get some help man….

As far as the “diehard” thing goes I mean honestly, that’s relative right?! I suppose you should probably call and ask my wife who has plenty of negative comments she’d be willing to share with you about my fandom, so really?

I work on a different plane … Part of it from experience of being on your plane but I’ll give you an analogy.

I had some pretty good athletes amongst my six kids the best of which was 65 245 and played basketball he was homeschooled so he had to play at the local Christian Academy but they traveled some and played some good competition… One day I was talking to him about the way he sometimes acted on the court when he got a foul called and I said you know what son that’s a good idea to get fed up and get frustrated and make poor facial expressions that really sends a message to the refs and they’re more likely to call things in your favor, and he says really?

And I said no son that’s gonna do nothing but cause you more issues. Guess what, he got it, being a negative bitch does nothing positive in society literally nothing!

I’m not gonna tell you I can’t be negative, I certainly can, hence my disdain for ut, but I’m not rushing to the message board to show everybody what a whiny bitch I am…

I try not to let my guard down that much I don’t wanna be “that fan“....again just saying….

As per your last statement are we really going to dive into semantics now. Let me say that another way if you aren’t one of the 25 people I’ve read in the last three days that said “we know what we have in Spencer“ and it isn’t good, then I take back everything I said I’m pretty damn sure you were one of them….

That’s the same as saying he’s not likely to improve and that’s bullshit! People need to see the truth, know the truth and know what they said… Call me your accountability partner!

Lastly I wanna say there is so much ambiguity for me at least with message board names I do apologize if you’re just expressing some simple frustration, it is possible you’re not the guy I’ve read over the last 10 years that I find to be pretty negative. If you aren’t forgive me and ill understand you’re just expressing yourself right now.

If you are then everything I said stands lol

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
Here’s what I love about you cats you just lump so much bullshit together. Honestly it can’t be a surprise to you that there are a ton of people in here that also get tired of your and other peoples constant negative bullshit, right?

That surely isn’t surprising to you right, because if it is I’d say you need to get some help man….

As far as the “diehard” thing goes I mean honestly, that’s relative right?! I suppose you should probably call and ask my wife who has plenty of negative comments she’d be willing to share with you about my fandom, so really?

I work on a different plane … Part of it from experience of being on your plane but I’ll give you an analogy.

I had some pretty good athletes amongst my six kids the best of which was 65 245 and played basketball he was homeschooled so he had to play at the local Christian Academy but they traveled some and played some good competition… One day I was talking to him about the way he sometimes acted on the court when he got a foul called and I said you know what son that’s a good idea to get fed up and get frustrated and make poor facial expressions that really sends a message to the refs and they’re more likely to call things in your favor, and he says really?

And I said no son that’s gonna do nothing but cause you more issues. Guess what, he got it, being a negative bitch does nothing positive in society literally nothing!

I’m not gonna tell you I can’t be negative, I certainly can, hence my disdain for ut, but I’m not rushing to the message board to show everybody what a whiny bitch I am…

I try not to let my guard down that much I don’t wanna be “that fan“....again just saying….

As per your last statement are we really going to dive into semantics now. Let me say that another way if you aren’t one of the 25 people I’ve read in the last three days that said “we know what we have in Spencer“ and it isn’t good, then I take back everything I said I’m pretty damn sure you were one of them….

That’s the same as saying he’s not likely to improve and that’s bullshit! People need to see the truth, know the truth and know what they said… Call me your accountability partner!

Lastly I wanna say there is so much ambiguity for me at least with message board names I do apologize if you’re just expressing some simple frustration, it is possible you’re not the guy I’ve read over the last 10 years that I find to be pretty negative. If you aren’t forgive me and ill understand you’re just expressing yourself right now.

If you are then everything I said stands lol
Like I said…….smug, arrogant, think you’re better than everyone else. You have just earned a spot on my ignore list. Maybe I’ll take you off it someday. I recommend you put me on yours.

I’m not always negative so your apology is accepted.

I’m done with this thread. You be you, I’ll be me, and never the twain shall meet. Bye!

Like I said…….smug, arrogant, think you’re better than everyone else. You have just earned a spot on my ignore list. Maybe I’ll take you off it someday. I recommend you put me on yours.

I’m not always negative so your apology is accepted.

I’m done with this thread. You be you, I’ll be me, and never the twain shall meet. Bye!

Hmmmm, smug, arrogant all judgements, made by someone being judgmental, which we all know has its roots in arrogancy and being better than someone… And there is the main thrust for my involvement… Too bad you’re not around to get it.

But I have advised people to put me on ignore before just because I get tired of their nonsensical rebuttals.

If the worst thing that happens to me today is get called arrogant by a whiny bitch I’d say I’m way ahead 😉

Again, just sayin’…..

Come on. The Hawks won the West last year. They have two great north/south runners coming back along with impressive recruits in Patterson and Johnson. Dominant TEs, DL, and LBs. Petras may not blow your hair back, but he wins games. Ferentz is cooking with gasoline right now. They are going to be very good again. Sit back and enjoy the ride people.

ADVERTISEMENT