ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for good podcast on Iowa Hawkeye sports

ltsimmer

All-Conference
Jan 12, 2007
I am looking for a good podcast to listen to in regards to anything involving Hawkeye sports, especially football. Does anybody have good recommendations and others to stay away from?

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ205Nl-7HIvafSWm-aevW1w2uf3YZ3Dq

Do it that way so it doesnt auto go to youtube

• Haha
Reactions: Underscore2
Outside of Hawkeye Report (wish balbinot was still around) I would say:

- HawkeyeHotspot with Docheterman and Howe is good
- Hawk Central with Leistokow is solid
- Hawk Fanatic with Harty is rarely sports but they have good interviews
-Washed up walk ons is pretty much worthless outside of the season. Unless you like listening to middle school boy humor over and over again

OP...I sent this last year when someone asked about podcasts...here's my $0.02.
I've since added HawkeyePodcast with Jon Miller to the below list.

Cheers and GO HAWKS!

Each Iowa podcast has their own pros/cons/quirks. I enjoy each perspective during the football season...but basketball and down months can be boring at times. Here's my $0.02 on the podcasts I listen to in no particular order. Also, please let me know if I should other podcasts!

WashedUpWalkOns: I like the player perspectives and plus they continue to host some pretty entertaining guests. The ads at the beginning and randomly throughout the podcasts are annoying and it gets old. But I get it...the mighty dollar and sponsors pay their bills.

HawkFanatic: This podcast definitely has its ebbs and flows...quote intended. Pat Hardy does host some great guests, from coaches to players to outside entities. The callers is where I will warn you...some are legit Hawkeye fans who bring up excellent points, others are complete crazies. 😂 Overall, it's entertaining.

Hawkeye Report: This is a good podcast. Tom does a good job with talking good Hawkeye scoop, and the flow is really smooth. The breakdown of each Iowa game is solid too.

Hawkeye Huddle: The two guys who run this podcast have good chemistry, but sometimes one of the guys sounds like he is a grumpy drunk guy who complains and fights with the younger guy. 😂 But overall, I like how they talk Iowa Hawkeye football.

Hawkeye Nation: This used to be my favorite podcast, but it definitely started going downhill the past couple of years. Overall, they have some good information, especially during football season. I like how Andrew is starting to do more instant reaction podcasts after games.

Hawk Central: I'm really liking this podcast the more I listen to it. The guys have good chemistry, and break down Iowa sports quite well. They get some descent callers, and they always answer the questions thrown at them.

Degenerate Hawkeyes: The two guys (Trent and Biz) who host this one have great chemistry. They break down each game with some fun statistics thrown in there too. I like how they talk the Vegas spreads every episode and talk about gambling on games.

Hawkeye 4DT: I enjoy this one during football...I believe it's only on during football season. The two guys have good chemistry, and do a solid job breaking down specific aspects of the Hawkeyes. They also throw in some gambling spreads too.

Update EDIT as of 01 August 2022:

Eyes on B1G: This podcast is solid. The two guys ( Jeffrey the Greek and Big Kurt) have great chemistry. One is from Iowa, the other from Illinois. They breakdown a lot of football...and have fun predictions.

Bigger Ten: Steve Deace and Aaron Mcintyre (sp) provide excellent analysis on this podcast. Obviously Deace is a Michigan fan...but Aaron is a big Hawkeye fan. Both of them have great chemistry.

Last edited:
does spencer petras and padilla have a podcast or youtube channel. I thought they were going to do one.

Anything Dochterman does is good. Not sure why he partnered up with Oral Snapsuck. Dochterman has great insight, but you have to endure the awful lip-smacking noise the other guy makes every few sentences. Would be a good drinking game.

-Washed up walk ons is pretty much worthless outside of the season. Unless you like listening to middle school boy humor over and over again
Or if you have a stick up your arse….it is what it is and I enjoy the youthful take on things…..I’m a boomer and wouldn’t take any advice from the boys but like the podcast….I’d agree it’s better in season and so would they

Hawks on Hawks with Monica Czinado and Conner McCaffery is new and I think might be replacing T’d up

Or if you have a stick up your arse….it is what it is and I enjoy the youthful take on things…..I’m a boomer and wouldn’t take any advice from the boys but like the podcast….I’d agree it’s better in season and so would they

Hawks on Hawks with Monica Czinado and Conner McCaffery is new and I think might be replacing T’d up

Thats fair. During the season and when they have guests i listen. Especially good when they have someone they played with. You aren't going to get that connection with a media guy. Offseason, I tend to tune out.

Reactions: natchrlman
The WUW episode after UCLA/USC were added was 23 minutes of bullshit about nothing topics, then maybe 3 minutes about the additions.

I do like they give the "players take" and at times you do learn some real inside dope, but the signal to noise ratio can be low.

Anything Dochterman does is good. Not sure why he partnered up with Oral Snapsuck. Dochterman has great insight, but you have to endure the awful lip-smacking noise the other guy makes every few sentences. Would be a good drinking game.
Are you referring to John Steppe? I've heard the term "a face I'd like to punch" and I would apply that to John's voice. It's cringe worthy! His voice is like the offspring of a Wisconsin and and Fargo accent, with a slight lisp and he puts emphasis on all the wrong syllables. His voice is like a audible rollercoaster that rises and falls in pitch and tone, it is almost like a parody of itself. I fully expect Saturday Night Live to get a hold of his voice and develop a character off it. His laugh is nails on a chalkboard as well. I got a kick out of an episode he said Iowa's offense was good. Like bro, not even homers would say that. Do your research and stick to the newspaper because your voice was not made for broadcast.

Last edited:
There's several YT podcasts on Iowa football as well.

One of the emerging ones is From the Hawkeye of the Storm, which is a branch podcast from the official show for Iowa Football on The Voice of College Football. The guy that runs The Voice has several different teams/podcasts that are featured, but obviously, I only check out the Iowa videos.

But the guy that hosts From the Hawkeye of the Storm, does post-game shows, mainly for football, but started doing them for men's and women's basketball and baseball this past year as well. He also has former coaches Don Patterson for football post-games and Gary Close for basketball, as well as occasionally bringing on former players as well.

Are you referring to John Steppe? I've heard the term "a face I'd like to punch" and I would apply that to John's voice. It's cringe worthy! His voice is like the offspring of a Wisconsin and and Fargo accent, with a slight lisp and he puts emphasis on all the wrong syllables. His voice is like a audible rollercoaster that rises and falls in pitch and tone, it is almost like a parody of itself. I fully expect Saturday Night Live to get a hold of his voice and develop a character off it. His laugh is nails on a chalkboard as well. I got a kick out of an episode he said Iowa's offense was good. Like bro, not even homers would say that. Do your research and stick to the newspaper because your voice was not made for broadcast.
He is referring to Howe. Howe smacks his lips constantly on the podcast.
As far as Steppe, I know what you mean. I feel bad for the guy because he can't help it but it is hard listening to him. Chad L. has some weird things he does as well, loud swallows and lip smacks.

If heartburn had a voice, it would be Pat Harty. He always sounds like hes about to belch up last night's meatlovers.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
RIP BHGP'S old podcast from several years ago. It was a great pregame drive listen. Also, the On Iowa with Scott and Marc was on the drive list. Today, Hawkeye Report leads the pack.

Reactions: TomKakert
There's several YT podcasts on Iowa football as well.

One of the emerging ones is From the Hawkeye of the Storm, which is a branch podcast from the official show for Iowa Football on The Voice of College Football. The guy that runs The Voice has several different teams/podcasts that are featured, but obviously, I only check out the Iowa videos.

But the guy that hosts From the Hawkeye of the Storm, does post-game shows, mainly for football, but started doing them for men's and women's basketball and baseball this past year as well. He also has former coaches Don Patterson for football post-games and Gary Close for basketball, as well as occasionally bringing on former players as well.

That's a great one!

Is Jon Miller still doing Iowa sports and/or podcasts? Don't see him on Twitter either...I may have missed it from above but what about Morehouse?

Is Jon Miller still doing Iowa sports and/or podcasts? Don't see him on Twitter either...I may have missed it from above but what about Morehouse?

No for both. Miller occasionally gets on, mostly in bball season. He might do some instant reaction. His feed is called Hawkeye Podcast.

hawkeye of the storm, voice of college football hawkeyes, locked on iowa, all on youtube

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT