ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like winning a Team Title just became much harder

MSU158

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2014
Apparently, Mineo is reporting Suriano to PSU. Talk about a team willing to do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to win.

With Suriano at 125, Iowa will be very hard pressed to win it all. I think Spencer still takes him out, but he is a very likely Finalist and almost assuredly top 4. That is a LOT of points they didn't get last year at 125, and would have been very close to covering the 15.5 difference last season.

Here is the side by side:

Iowa-----------------------------------PSU
Spencer-------------------------------Suriano
DeSanto------------------------------RBY
Eierman------------------------------ Lee
Murin----------------------------------Bartlett
Young----------------------------------Lee
Marinelli-------------------------------Facundo
Kemerer-------------------------------Starocci
Brands---------------------------------Brooks
Warner---------------------------------Dean
Cass-------------------------------------Kerkvliet

The past 2 seasons, Iowa benefitted substantially from transfers(DeSanto, Lugo and Eierman). Now, if this turns out to be true, PSU will have Suriano, Dean and Kerkvliet(granted he never wrestled for anyone else, just said he was going to for about 37 different schools).

While the score was only 15.5 last year that was due to a large underperformance by Iowa and slight over performance by PSU.

However, if Suriano is on PSU that puts the team title within the margins and up for grabs. It will depend on who shows up better at nationals.

Look for Bartlett to RS. Barraclough could be the guy early with Van Ness pushing him and being the guy eventually. Suriano thing definitely has wings he was on campus recently. Would enroll 2nd semester

Reactions: Ja1339
I assume it will be next semester? So not until January?

Maybe I’m thinking older rules or a different sport... but I thought it was harder to transfer in-conference?

Reactions: el dub
I wish they would do away with the transfers and also give a guy a maximum of 6 years in college to wrestle. This is getting sillier and sillier and taking away from the true purpose of college sports.

Do away with transfers? How do you tell an athlete they aren't allowed to transfer? That's draconian. And how can you be an Iowa fan and complain about transfers with a straight face?

I assume it will be next semester? So not until January?

Maybe I’m thinking older rules or a different sport... but I thought it was harder to transfer in-conference?

Old rules. Plus he hasn't been at Rutgers for over a year, I believe.

Five months out. We’ll see.

This. These short run/hired gun type transfers frequently don't seem to work out for whatever reason.

I say bring him on.

Unfortunately mineo is probably right on this one. His connection to Jersey wrestlers is pretty tight. However I personally don’t believe suriano to penn st will make a huge difference in the end. Iowa underperformed at ncaas last year. Murin sick and marinelli injuried!! Iowa can make up those points plus get better at 84. Penn st still has a ton of work to do at 49, 57 and 65. Jmo

Apparently, Mineo is reporting Suriano to PSU. Talk about a team willing to do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to win.

With Suriano at 125, Iowa will be very hard pressed to win it all. I think Spencer still takes him out, but he is a very likely Finalist and almost assuredly top 4. That is a LOT of points they didn't get last year at 125, and would have been very close to covering the 15.5 difference last season.

Here is the side by side:

Spencer-------------------------------Suriano
DeSanto------------------------------RBY
Eierman------------------------------ Lee
Murin----------------------------------Bartlett
Young----------------------------------Lee
Marinelli-------------------------------Facundo
Kemerer-------------------------------Starocci
Brands---------------------------------Brooks
Warner---------------------------------Dean
Cass-------------------------------------Kerkvliet

The past 2 seasons, Iowa benefitted substantially from transfers(DeSanto, Lugo and Eierman). Now, if this turns out to be true, PSU will have Suriano, Dean and Kerkvliet(granted he never wrestled for anyone else, just said he was going to for about 37 different schools).
Spencer 24.5 -------------------------------Suriano 20 Kept Spencer's score from last year and Nick gets a solid 2nd.
DeSanto 19.5------------------------------RBY 22.5 Same as last year.
Eierman 21------------------------------ Lee 23.5 Same as last year
Murin 4----------------------------------Bartlett 2 Gave them each an extra 2 point bump.
Young 8.5----------------------------------Lee 4 Young is the same. Gave Lee a better tournament.
Marinelli ? -------------------------------Facundo ?
Kemerer 20-------------------------------Starocci 21 Kept the same as last year
Brands 4-------------------------------Brooks 21.5 Gave Brands an extra win. Brooks is the same as last year
Warner 16---------------------------------Dean 16 Gave them both a typical 3rd place score.
Cass 16.5------------------------------Kerkvliet 13.5 Gave Cass the same. Gave an extra 2 points to Kerk.
134 ---------------------------------------------- 144

Let's be honest, PSU did not over perform at nationals. They wrestle great on the biggest stage every year. A lot of guys in both lineups could score more. Spencer went tech, major, major, major, and dec. He'll score more this year. PSU can get points from weights they didn't even qualify last year. Obviously, 141 and 174 could swing in our favor.
The big one is 165. Marinelli scored 4 points last year. He has to have a tournament and score 20 plus for Iowa to win. If Facundo is a top 3 type guy (I have no clue), and Marinelli scores over 20, then it will come down to Brands and Murin making up the difference.

Unfortunately mineo is probably right on this one. His connection to Jersey wrestlers is pretty tight. However I personally don’t believe suriano to penn st will make a huge difference in the end. Iowa underperformed at ncaas last year. Murin sick and marinelli injuried!! Iowa can make up those points plus get better at 84. Penn st still has a ton of work to do at 49, 57 and 65. Jmo
The "underperformed" thing isn't really accurate:

Lee-1st and was 1 point away from bonusing ALL of his opponents. You couldn't have asked for more.

DeSanto-Wrestled AWESOME. 3rd as the 4 seed was as high as anyone could realistically expect based on recent results. He also scored SIX bonus points. That is 1.5 higher than Spencer.

Eierman-He had 2 falls and a TF in 3 of his 4 wins and lost a toss up match in OT.

Murin-He was seeded 12th and lost in the R12. Both of his losses were in OT.

Young-Took 7th. Considering how on and off his was the year before and how limited the matches were going into NCAA's, reaching the podium was great. You can nitpick that he was the 5 seed and took 7th. But, he beat Sheets, whom he had lost to the season prior and his 2 losses were to Lee, whom he barely beat twice before in OT and a Berge whose style everyone who knew wrestling knew would cause big issues for Young.

Marinelli- He didn't underperform. He simply snapped his ribs. But, I will give this guy as the ONLY spot that really can be argued as underperforming.

Kemerer- WRECKED his way to the Finals. Yes, he lost in OT to Starocci, but Starocci made it to the Finals easily himself and wrestled a very tactical match. I simply have a hard time pointing out a 1 seed taking 2nd as an underperformance. Especially, when that 1 seed has never won NCAA's before and this 2nd place finish was the best of his career.

Brands-Went 1-2 at his first NCAA's. Not sure what more anyone realistically expected here.

Warner-After the 1st round scare, he wrestled the best I have seen him wrestle to date. Lost to the Champ and a bronze medalist to take 4th.

Cass-Was actually the 5 seed and smacked around everyone he wrestled but Steveson. 3rd was the best he was going to do.

So, Lee, DeSanto, Murin, Brands, Warner and Cass did basically the absolute best anyone could realistically expect. Eierman, Kemerer and Young placed a tiny bit below seed, but didn't exactly lose to guys they should have ran through. Marinelli got injured.

I would actually argue that, as a whole, this was a GREAT PERFORMANCE. FLO has done a breakdown over the years on teams' performances based on seeds and this past season would stack up very well against most and it is ONLY HARDER to match when you have these seeds in order: 1,4,1,12,5,1,1,12,5,5.

For a last only numbers look:

1 took 1
4 took 3
1 took 2
12 took tied 9th
5 took 7
1 took tied 9th
1 took 2
12 took tied 17th
5 took 4
5 took 3

I wish they would do away with the transfers and also give a guy a maximum of 6 years in college to wrestle. This is getting sillier and sillier and taking away from the true purpose of college sports.
Agreed. Even acknowledging that Iowa has picked up some key transfers too...I really don't like the trend to such fluid rosters year to year. I think it takes away from college sports.

Spencer 24.5 -------------------------------Suriano 20 Kept Spencer's score from last year and Nick gets a solid 2nd.
DeSanto 19.5------------------------------RBY 22.5 Same as last year.
Eierman 21------------------------------ Lee 23.5 Same as last year
Murin 4----------------------------------Bartlett 2 Gave them each an extra 2 point bump.
Young 8.5----------------------------------Lee 4 Young is the same. Gave Lee a better tournament.
Marinelli ? -------------------------------Facundo ?
Kemerer 20-------------------------------Starocci 21 Kept the same as last year
Brands 4-------------------------------Brooks 21.5 Gave Brands an extra win. Brooks is the same as last year
Warner 16---------------------------------Dean 16 Gave them both a typical 3rd place score.
Cass 16.5------------------------------Kerkvliet 13.5 Gave Cass the same. Gave an extra 2 points to Kerk.
134 ---------------------------------------------- 144

Let's be honest, PSU did not over perform at nationals. They wrestle great on the biggest stage every year. A lot of guys in both lineups could score more. Spencer went tech, major, major, major, and dec. He'll score more this year. PSU can get points from weights they didn't even qualify last year. Obviously, 141 and 174 could swing in our favor.
The big one is 165. Marinelli scored 4 points last year. He has to have a tournament and score 20 plus for Iowa to win. If Facundo is a top 3 type guy (I have no clue), and Marinelli scores over 20, then it will come down to Brands and Murin making up the difference.
I think that your analysis is solid...now...tell me who is going to have an injury, or two, and I will tell who I think is going to win it all. :)

Carl can't handle losing that is an undisputed fact. He will do most anything if he thinks it will allow him to win. ISU not winning, bump your old coach out, ISU still not winning then leave the Alma Mater hanging in the breeze for the best $$$ backing and local talent in the country. Smooth sailing with all the advantages and oh no, losing two years in a row to a team inferior on paper. No worries, break out the cash and bring in a finalist from Cornell and a National champ to make up the difference.

DUAL
Spencer vs Suriano...WBD *Obviously Spencer the favorite....bonus would be hard to come by

DeSanto vs RBY...LBD *Barring a weird flakeout like the 2020 dual, should be able to hold this to a decision. Can DeSanto finish his lefty single against RBY this year? If so, could make this match much more interesting

Eierman vs Lee...LBD *Not saying we couldn't get a W here, but appears based on the finals that Lee figured out Eierman is not a neutral threat unless it's a counter. If Lee stays out of a cradle when he's in on a shot and can get out from bottom, I don't see this going different than their 2nd match in the NCAA Final last year unfortunately. But maybe Eierman developed some high level neutral offense in the last 7 months.....in his 7th year. I just don't see N Lee getting beat on counters and riding again like at Big Tens.

Murin vs Bartlett...WBD *Got to think we're the favorite here based on experience. Murin won't blow the doors off anybody, but he's tough to score on and have got to think he can big brother a younger Bartlett at least a little.

Young vs Lee...LBD *Hope I'm wrong and we get 2020 NCAA Championships Kaleb Young back for his last year. Nothing about last year gave me a whole lot of confidence here though. He could definitely go big brother here similar to 149's dialogue, but I've gotta see something first.

Marinelli vs Facundo...WBD *Facundo will be really good. Won't be ready to beat the Bull yet though.

Kemerer vs Starocci...WBD *Most definitely a toss up. Gotta think (hope) Kem can get it done in likely his last big dual in CHA.

Brands vs Brooks...LBD *Hope Nelson/Abe can sneak in a TD or 2 to keep this to a decision.

Warner vs Dean...LBD *Trying to not be a homer so split the toss ups. Could definitely win here. Going to be 3-2 one way or the other.

Cass vs Kerkvliet...WBD *On one hand, Cass absolutely manhandled Kirk last time they wrestled. On the other hand, Big Ten/NCAA's Kerk will not be the same guy if he's healthy and gets regular training in. Still like our guy . Just don't think it will look quite as effortless as it did last March.

There ya have it...15 to 15. I'm sure somebody will sneak in some bonus somewhere and can't imagine this whole dual would be decisions. Maybe us at 165 if we Carver a freshman. Maybe them at 184. In my eyes, those are the surest weights where there is an absolute clear cut leader. At this point should probably say the same about 133 as well, unfortunately. Got a couple great opportunities at 149, 157, 165 against some young (but talented) guys. If we could go 2 for 2 at 149 and 157 I think it's a done deal. Could legitimately argue that 141, 149, 157, 174, 197 are all toss ups. This one's gonna be fun. Somebody else can break it down for a tournament.

Carl can't handle losing that is an undisputed fact. He will do most anything if he thinks it will allow him to win. ISU not winning, bump your old coach out, ISU still not winning then leave the Alma Mater hanging in the breeze for the best $$$ backing and local talent in the country. Smooth sailing with all the advantages and oh no, losing two years in a row to a team inferior on paper. No worries, break out the cash and bring in a finalist from Cornell and a National champ to make up the difference.
We brought in Lugo (who wasn't great yet), but ended up being a #1 seed at NCAA's and brought in a multiple time AA who made the finals last year. Really weird take man.

Agreed. Even acknowledging that Iowa has picked up some key transfers too...I really don't like the trend to such fluid rosters year to year. I think it takes away from college sports.
Eierman was a big boost but even at that we didn't go looking for him. Both ADS and Lugo were NQ non placers. Not insta-point ringers. We win the COVID shortened year whether it's Lugo, Turk or Glosser at 149.

Last edited:

Lee-1st and was 1 point away from bonusing ALL of his opponents. You couldn't have asked for more.

DeSanto-Wrestled AWESOME. 3rd as the 4 seed was as high as anyone could realistically expect based on recent results. He also scored SIX bonus points. That is 1.5 higher than Spencer.

Eierman-He had 2 falls and a TF in 3 of his 4 wins and lost a toss up match in OT.

Young-Took 7th. Considering how on and off his was the year before and how limited the matches were going into NCAA's, reaching the podium was great. You can nitpick that he was the 5 seed and took 7th. But, he beat Sheets, whom he had lost to the season prior and his 2 losses were to Lee, whom he barely beat twice before in OT and a Berge whose style everyone who knew wrestling knew would cause big issues for Young.

Marinelli- He didn't underperform. He simply snapped his ribs. But, I will give this guy as the ONLY spot that really can be argued as underperforming.

Kemerer- WRECKED his way to the Finals. Yes, he lost in OT to Starocci, but Starocci made it to the Finals easily himself and wrestled a very tactical match. I simply have a hard time pointing out a 1 seed taking 2nd as an underperformance. Especially, when that 1 seed has never won NCAA's before and this 2nd place finish was the best of his career.

Brands-Went 1-2 at his first NCAA's. Not sure what more anyone realistically expected here.

Warner-After the 1st round scare, he wrestled the best I have seen him wrestle to date. Lost to the Champ and a bronze medalist to take 4th.

Cass-Was actually the 5 seed and smacked around everyone he wrestled but Steveson. 3rd was the best he was going to do.

So, Lee, DeSanto, Murin, Brands, Warner and Cass did basically the absolute best anyone could realistically expect. Eierman, Kemerer and Young placed a tiny bit below seed, but didn't exactly lose to guys they should have ran through. Marinelli got injured.

I would actually argue that, as a whole, this was a GREAT PERFORMANCE. FLO has done a breakdown over the years on teams' performances based on seeds and this past season would stack up very well against most and it is ONLY HARDER to match when you have these seeds in order: 1,4,1,12,5,1,1,12,5,5.

1 took 1
4 took 3
1 took 2
12 took tied 9th
5 took 7
1 took tied 9th
1 took 2
12 took tied 17th
5 took 4
5 took 3
Solid post. Maybe I shouldn’t have said underperformed. But I’m sure the Iowa guys were not happy with their performance. Marinelli not placing due to injury was the difference in the score being closer than it should have been. And I’m pretty sure murin would have placed if he wasn’t dealing with his sickness. Added points lost. I do believe whoever wins 84 will be better than last year. Good post tho

DUAL
Spencer vs Suriano...WBD *Obviously Spencer the favorite....bonus would be hard to come by

DeSanto vs RBY...LBD *Barring a weird flakeout like the 2020 dual, should be able to hold this to a decision. Can DeSanto finish his lefty single against RBY this year? If so, could make this match much more interesting

Eierman vs Lee...LBD *Not saying we couldn't get a W here, but appears based on the finals that Lee figured out Eierman is not a neutral threat unless it's a counter. If Lee stays out of a cradle when he's in on a shot and can get out from bottom, I don't see this going different than their 2nd match in the NCAA Final last year unfortunately. But maybe Eierman developed some high level neutral offense in the last 7 months.....in his 7th year. I just don't see N Lee getting beat on counters and riding again like at Big Tens.

Murin vs Bartlett...WBD *Got to think we're the favorite here based on experience. Murin won't blow the doors off anybody, but he's tough to score on and have got to think he can big brother a younger Bartlett at least a little.

Young vs Lee...LBD *Hope I'm wrong and we get 2020 NCAA Championships Kaleb Young back for his last year. Nothing about last year gave me a whole lot of confidence here though. He could definitely go big brother here similar to 149's dialogue, but I've gotta see something first.

Marinelli vs Facundo...WBD *Facundo will be really good. Won't be ready to beat the Bull yet though.

Kemerer vs Starocci...WBD *Most definitely a toss up. Gotta think (hope) Kem can get it done in likely his last big dual in CHA.

Brands vs Brooks...LBD *Hope Nelson/Abe can sneak in a TD or 2 to keep this to a decision.

Warner vs Dean...LBD *Trying to not be a homer so split the toss ups. Could definitely win here. Going to be 3-2 one way or the other.

Cass vs Kerkvliet...WBD *On one hand, Cass absolutely manhandled Kirk last time they wrestled. On the other hand, Big Ten/NCAA's Kerk will not be the same guy if he's healthy and gets regular training in. Still like our guy . Just don't think it will look quite as effortless as it did last March.

There ya have it...15 to 15. I'm sure somebody will sneak in some bonus somewhere and can't imagine this whole dual would be decisions. Maybe us at 165 if we Carver a freshman. Maybe them at 184. In my eyes, those are the surest weights where there is an absolute clear cut leader. At this point should probably say the same about 133 as well, unfortunately. Got a couple great opportunities at 149, 157, 165 against some young (but talented) guys. If we could go 2 for 2 at 149 and 157 I think it's a done deal. Could legitimately argue that 141, 149, 157, 174, 197 are all toss ups. This one's gonna be fun. Somebody else can break it down for a tournament.
Lee isnt beating young!!! What makes you say that?

Lee isnt beating young!!! What makes you say that?
Aaaand I botched that one. Was thinking Lee was on the Brayton Lee/Berge (2 guys Kaleb lost to last year) type of echelon. Upon further review and looking at last year's results, I was waaaaaay off. Bad take at 157. My bad

125- Lee could get a point or two more bonus. Suriano adds around 20.

133- Deeper weight class, ADS will have work to do to match last year. Have to hope RBY gets bumped before finals.

141- Likely same type season for both. Jaydin could gain a few by being champ.

149- Bottom line we need around 10 points here. PSU will likely score 5 to 10 more here than last year's zero.

157- Caleb will be doing well to be 5-7 range. Lee might do a tad better that injury default Berge.

165- Bull needs to be at 20. PSU could score 5 to 10 more than last year's zero.

174- Kem needs to make finals again and hopefully win.

184- I'm not confident in many points from Brands here. He starts fast at this weight but wears down and the size deficiency shows later in the year. Abe has the size but it's been a while since we have seen him. Like 149 we need at least 10 here.

197- Loaded weight, will be doing well to match last year. Dean could add 5-15 points to what Beard had.

285- Not much room to move up for Cass. Kerk could score quite a few more.

Aaaand I botched that one. Was thinking Lee was on the Brayton Lee/Berge (2 guys Kaleb lost to last year) type of echelon. Upon further review and looking at last year's results, I was waaaaaay off. Bad take at 157. My bad
No worries. It could be subconscious. Heck, the last name alone is worth bonus points these daze…

Eierman was a big boost but even at that we didn't go looking for him. Both ADS and Lugo were NQ non placers. Not insta-point ringers. We win the COVID shortened year whether it's Lugo, Turk or Glosser at 149.

They were both former round of 12 guys with well regarded talent. And none of the 3 magically just showed up on day 1 of practice who just happened to fit perfectly into the lineup.

if these things all do pan out for PSU...Its time we coach our line up to beat the PSU stall game...I mean exactly HOW MANY takedowns did PSU champs actually score on us in regulation time?? and how many unanswered shots did we take ...that seriously wore us down and left us vulnerable in OT ?? we were out coached in those final matches...we beat the in Big Tens and Dual meets but when it was all on the line...we didn't game plan as well as we should have...and i admit i am a HUGE fan of our coaches!!! i also think that Suriano will have have a HARD TIME making 125 and keeping it for the season...and when he cuts weight he looses his 3rd period gas tank...and we will exploit that. Just some observations from a far...I honestly feel we did more to lose those Finals matches than PSU did to win them.

1 took 1
4 took 3
1 took 2
12 took tied 9th
5 took 7
1 took tied 9th
1 took 2
12 took tied 17th
5 took 4
5 took 3
For all that it was an underperformance by team points. Those 2 finals losses cost the team 8 points (actually a net 16 because they were both to PSU).

Marinelli’s default, while completely justified, cost the team probably 15 points.

Ncaa scoring based on seeds (no bonus) last year had Iowa at 126. They scored somewhere around 25-30 bonus points iirc and ended up with 129 team points. Based on seeds+bonus they should have been around 150.

I don't have a problem with transfering. Everyone should have the option available 1 time. What they need to do away with is multiple transfers in the same college career (see Nicky pushups). One and done is more than fair with no time out in or out of conference. Just my opinion. I'm not surprised with this. Carl wasn't beating the Hawks without some major changes this year! Between Michigan, F%# State, and Iowa (Okie State will be really good as well) NCAA's are going to be crazy good this year.

Reactions: Trapper85
For all that it was an underperformance by team points. Those 2 finals losses cost the team 8 points (actually a net 16 because they were both to PSU).

Marinelli’s default, while completely justified, cost the team probably 15 points.

Ncaa scoring based on seeds (no bonus) last year had Iowa at 126. They scored somewhere around 25-30 bonus points iirc and ended up with 129 team points. Based on seeds+bonus they should have been around 150.
First off, basing underperformance off of 1 seeds taking 2nd is LUDICROUS. Those 1 seeds(Eierman and Kemerer) scored 21.5 and 20 points, respectively. In NO WORLD is it right to say that 2 #1 seeds that have NEVER made an NCAA Final underperformed when they both scored 20 or more.

Second, you can't score all the bonus this team did and IGNORE it when trying to call for underperformance. Lee bonused in 4 of his 5 matches, DeSanto bonused in 4 of his 5 wins. Eierman bonused in 3 of his 4 wins. Young even had bonus in 2 of his wins. Marinelli had bonus in both of his wins. Kemerer had bonus in 3 of his 4 wins(the other was 8-1). Cass had bonus in 3 of his 5 wins. The bonus points DO NOT happen like that if a team is underperforming.

Finally, the ONLY reason this past season's results aren't 100% safe from this garbage argument is because Marinelli got hurt. Say, he still loses to Griffith but doesn't get hurt. He almost assuredly wrestles back to AA status and his road to the top 4 match would have been Amine(already beat), Wittlake(already beat) and Smith(already beat). Add in those points and I don't see anyone with a brain or not having an agenda against Iowa, calling it even remotely a team underperforming.

125- Lee could get a point or two more bonus. Suriano adds around 20.

133- Deeper weight class, ADS will have work to do to match last year. Have to hope RBY gets bumped before finals.

141- Likely same type season for both. Jaydin could gain a few by being champ.

149- Bottom line we need around 10 points here. PSU will likely score 5 to 10 more here than last year's zero.

157- Caleb will be doing well to be 5-7 range. Lee might do a tad better that injury default Berge.

165- Bull needs to be at 20. PSU could score 5 to 10 more than last year's zero.

174- Kem needs to make finals again and hopefully win.

184- I'm not confident in many points from Brands here. He starts fast at this weight but wears down and the size deficiency shows later in the year. Abe has the size but it's been a while since we have seen him. Like 149 we need at least 10 here.

197- Loaded weight, will be doing well to match last year. Dean could add 5-15 points to what Beard had.

285- Not much room to move up for Cass. Kerk could score quite a few more.
I don't think we see Brands at 184 this year. Curious that his Alpha weigh-in was 184 meaning he weighed between 174.1-184. Abe's alpha was HWT so he weighed in >197 lbs.

First off, basing underperformance off of 1 seeds taking 2nd is LUDICROUS. Those 1 seeds(Eierman and Kemerer) scored 21.5 and 20 points, respectively. In NO WORLD is it right to say that 2 #1 seeds that have NEVER made an NCAA Final underperformed when they both scored 20 or more.

Second, you can't score all the bonus this team did and IGNORE it when trying to call for underperformance. Lee bonused in 4 of his 5 matches, DeSanto bonused in 4 of his 5 wins. Eierman bonused in 3 of his 4 wins. Young even had bonus in 2 of his wins. Marinelli had bonus in both of his wins. Kemerer had bonus in 3 of his 4 wins(the other was 8-1). Cass had bonus in 3 of his 5 wins. The bonus points DO NOT happen like that if a team is underperforming.

Finally, the ONLY reason this past season's results aren't 100% safe from this garbage argument is because Marinelli got hurt. Say, he still loses to Griffith but doesn't get hurt. He almost assuredly wrestles back to AA status and his road to the top 4 match would have been Amine(already beat), Wittlake(already beat) and Smith(already beat). Add in those points and I don't see anyone with a brain or not having an agenda against Iowa, calling it even remotely a team underperforming.
A one seed getting second is 100% an underperformance. It has just as big of an impact on the team score as a 12 seed going 0-2.

And I completely agree about Marinelli. I’m not making any judgement about why there was an underperformance or trying to say it is because of bad coaching or anything like that. It is just a fact it is an underperformance, not a judgement. Did they score as many points as expected? No. Therefore it is an underperformance.

ADVERTISEMENT