ADVERTISEMENT

Lost a lifelong Hawk fan yesterday

Mattski

HR Legend
Jan 21, 2007
My Dad, who posted here occasionally and read this board frequently, lost a courageous battle with cancer yesterday. He fought till the end like only a former wrestler could. He helped me fall in love with the sport in the early 90s and we had so many amazing memories involving Hawkeye wrestling. Multiple trips to nationals and big tens and countless duals and I'll never forget being up at the dome with him for the amazing record setting championship performance in 97. Just electric and emotional and everything you could ask for in a sporting event. So thankful we shared that together.
He was sometimes critical but it was bc of his love for the sport, the Hawkeyes, the Gable legacy and his desire for Iowa to be on top.
I'll miss him constantly but especially during wrestling season.

Also very sorry to hear, but thanks for sharing that and God bless you and your family.

Your relationship with your dad reminds me a lot of mine, and I’m sure there are countless other Iowa wrestling fans out there who feel the same way. Wrestling is such a gut-wrenching (pardon the pun) and character-building sport that it lends itself especially to building those parent-child relationships and memories that will last a lifetime.

My Dad, who posted here occasionally and read this board frequently, lost a courageous battle with cancer yesterday. He fought till the end like only a former wrestler could. He helped me fall in love with the sport in the early 90s and we had so many amazing memories involving Hawkeye wrestling. Multiple trips to nationals and big tens and countless duals and I'll never forget being up at the dome with him for the amazing record setting championship performance in 97. Just electric and emotional and everything you could ask for in a sporting event. So thankful we shared that together.
He was sometimes critical but it was bc of his love for the sport, the Hawkeyes, the Gable legacy and his desire for Iowa to be on top.
I'll miss him constantly but especially during wrestling season.
Prayers are with you and your family

Reactions: Mattski
Thank you for all the responses guys. Dad posted under MNkids2IA handle as he was an Iowan that got transplanted to southern MN about 25 years ago. He loved seeing guys like the Eustice boys, Falck, Stoll wrestle in high school then choose the hawks. He was m pumped about Kennedy choosing the Hawks. So thankful for the all times we spent with Hawkeye nation cheering on the Hawks and loving the sport.

Matt

Sorry to hear of this. When I lost my Dad, I had this overwhelming sense of now "being alone". Best to you and all the family
Yeah this is really hitting today. I've got a great wife and 3 great kids but it's like a big part of me is missing now. Thanks for sharing this.

ADVERTISEMENT