ADVERTISEMENT

Lost Team Point

What a joke of a call but I guess instead of a tech fall, SL will have to pin to make up the difference.

Quit being homer’s brand’s was in the yellow of the mat. Also no reason to be on the mat at that time

Control of the mat area rule.As a coach you can not come on the mat at all during or after the match.This is the 2nd or 3rd year of the rule.Across wrestling it's known as the Tom Brands rule.As everybody who watches Iowa wrestling has seen in the past Tom will find himself in the middle of the mat at times.The NCAA decided nothing good can come of that and made a rule for it

That an official that doesn't like certain coaches or schools somehow can justify their actions and smirk it off, when they do things like that bothers me.

Reactions: Gobblin
You can hate the rule but the interpretation of it seemed to be spot on by the official. Thankfully the team point wasn't even close to being a factor

Reactions: artradley
Grace and Ironside said after the intermission that the penalty point was against Big Cass for shoving tOSU heavy after the match in retaliation for some egregious act. They were highly critical of Rivera throughout the night.

It is always possible they were mistaken about the penalty. Mark occasionally misses the last 30 seconds of action when he goes psychotic.

Grace and Ironside said after the intermission that the penalty point was against Big Cass for shoving tOSU heavy after the match in retaliation for some egregious act. They were highly critical of Rivera throughout the night.

It is always possible they were mistaken about the penalty. Mark occasionally misses the last 30 seconds of action when he goes psychotic.
Tom admitted in the post match interview that the team point deduction was the result of him walking into the mat to congratulate Cass.

Quit being homer’s brand’s was in the yellow of the mat. Also no reason to be on the mat at that time
It was going into intermission and he wasn't coming out to be confrontational, he was coming out to congratulate his wrestler. Not always a fan of TNT's antics but I truly believe there are very few refs out there that would deduct a team point for that.

Tom admitted in the post match interview that the team point deduction was the result of him walking into the mat to congratulate Cass.
I feel like Tom is covering for the Big Smile on this one. That's what coaches do. Good leaders. They don't go all oranges and say that their wrestlers were at 7-11 working last week.

It was going into intermission and he wasn't coming out to be confrontational, he was coming out to congratulate his wrestler. Not always a fan of TNT's antics but I truly believe there are very few refs out there that would deduct a team point for that.
Maybe ol Angel thought he'd just be a dick, and it wouldn't matter for the dual result so he wouldn't really have to answer for it.

You can hate the rule but the interpretation of it seemed to be spot on by the official. Thankfully the team point wasn't even close to being a factor

Yeah, if you have a history with an official you should probably control your actions because you can assume if you violate a rule you’ll get dinged.

Frankly, as bad as Rivera appears to be, when you have a coach who is always trying to assert himself I don’t blame an official for cutting them zero slack.

Yeah, if you have a history with an official you should probably control your actions because you can assume if you violate a rule you’ll get dinged.

Frankly, as bad as Rivera appears to be, when you have a coach who is always trying to assert himself I don’t blame an official for cutting them zero slack.
Questionable judgement on both their parts but no Bad intentions on Tom’s part. Angel should have passed on the point deduction and just reminded coach of the rules. Not much to see here...

Questionable judgement on both their parts but no Bad intentions on Tom’s part. Angel should have passed on the point deduction and just reminded coach of the rules. Not much to see here...
Yep, intent should be a part of the equation, IMO. But in the Grand Scheme of things, no biggie.

Yep, intent should be a part of the equation, IMO. But in the Grand Scheme of things, no biggie.

There's no way to measure "intent." You can't say "I broke the rule but I didn't mean to." You broke the rule or you didn't. I've ref'd before (never wrestling) and Rivera had to decide on some really borderline calls.
I think he was right on Lugo and Brands calls but really questionable on several others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT