ADVERTISEMENT

Louisiana advances bill to classify abortion as homicide

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
While the antiabortion movement has traditionally embraced policies that are claimed to protect both the woman and the fetus — and avoided laws that criminalize those seeking abortions — abortion rights advocates worry that could change if Roe v. Wade is overturned.
Louisiana is already moving in that direction, The Post’s Caroline Kitchener reports:
Republicans in the Louisiana House advanced a bill Wednesday that would classify abortion as homicide and allow prosecutors to criminally charge patients, with supporters citing a draft opinion leaked this week showing the Supreme Court ready to overturn Roe v. Wade.
The legislation, which passed through a committee on a 7-to-2 vote, goes one step further than other antiabortion bans that have gained momentum in recent years, which focus on punishing abortion providers and others who help facilitate the procedure. Experts say the bill could also restrict in vitro fertilization and emergency contraception because it would grant constitutional rights to a person “from the moment of fertilization.”
You can read Caroline’s full story here.

While the antiabortion movement has traditionally embraced policies that are claimed to protect both the woman and the fetus — and avoided laws that criminalize those seeking abortions — abortion rights advocates worry that could change if Roe v. Wade is overturned.
Louisiana is already moving in that direction, The Post’s Caroline Kitchener reports:

You can read Caroline’s full story here.
Monsters.

Reactions: artradley
Too bad all those moderate women who voted for Trump, and the lazy Dems who didn't vote at all allowed Trump to become president. This is the result.
Exactly. No one should be surprised this was the result. If women are upset I am sure they could do something about it.

• Haha
Reactions: Hondo_11
I find it hard to believe that the SCOTUS will completely wash their hands of this legal issue and allow the wild west anti-abortion show to commence at the state level. I guess we will see.
If the Court finally rules that there is no right to abortion under the US Constitution, as appears likely, then this is exactly what they intend to transpire. Each state is permitted to allow or prohibit abortions as each individual state in their sole discretion shall determine.

There should be no "I guess we will see" speculation about the consequences of overruling Roe. If any individual state deems abortion a criminal act and passes a law which defines abortion as murder, that would be entirely consistent with the preliminary Dobbs decision. Justic Alito is specifically saying that states have absolute and final authority.

Too bad all those moderate women who voted for Trump, and the lazy Dems who didn't vote at all allowed Trump to become president. This is the result.
Lucas…buddy. How does Trump being elected in 2016 and voted out in 2020 cause a law in Louisiana in 2022 to be proposed?

Need some i’s dotted and t’s crossed on this one.

If the Court finally rules that there is no right to abortion under the US Constitution, as appears likely, then this is exactly what they intend to transpire. Each state is permitted to allow or prohibit abortions as each individual state in their sole discretion shall determine.

There should be no "I guess we will see" speculation about the consequences of overruling Roe. If any individual state deems abortion a criminal act and passes a law which defines abortion as murder, that would be entirely consistent with the preliminary Dobbs decision. Justic Alito is specifically saying that states have absolute and final authority.
I understand the implication, it's just unbelievable to me that such a decision will come down in that form without some limitation via guidance from the court considering how it flies in the face of longstanding stare decisis, not to mention the violation of an individual's privacy and the government inserting itself into a person's health and medical decisions with their health care professionals.

Something will give, and I hope cooler heads prevail, but I suspect there will be blood. And it ultimately may be the GOP that is buried in the end. I don't think the American people will stand for it. If it's left to the state's individually, the direction they choose to take may bring about their demise politically.

It’s times like this when I think back to the day after Obama and Dem candidates swept the nation with victories… and the multitudes of Dems coming on here saying “Sorry. GOP! Suck it! See you in 40 years, when you win your next election!” So confident. And never thought for a second that this could happen.

Lesson? Stay vigilant and keep your guard up.

It’s times like this when I think back to the day after Obama and Dem candidates swept the nation with victories… and the multitudes of Dems coming on here saying “Sorry. GOP! Suck it! See you in 40 years, when you win your next election!” So confident. And never thought for a second that this could happen.

Yea, it’s the dems fault that conservatives have become radicalized over a grifter. That’s the real lesson.

I would not blame any woman who doesn’t want any children for closing up shop on their pussah’s to any sexual attention from a male.
In a committed relationship/married and do not want children? Sorry, shop is closed to their husbands and fiances.

as someone who thinks our country has too many guns, women need to start arming themselves and blasting away at anybody attempting to have unwanted sexual contact with you…..yea, even your husbands. If you are a teen and have a creepy relative or family friend sexually abusing you….get a gun or keep a knife handy when they are around and cut the pecker off. Do whatever you need to not to allow any men to nut in you, EVEN if you are in a serious relationship

I have no problem advocating for violence if this is the road republicans want to go down. put the power into your hands and do what you need to do to protect yourself, ladies.

I would not blame any woman who doesn’t want any children for closing up shop on their pussah’s to any sexual attention from a male.
In a committed relationship/married and do not want children? Sorry, shop is closed to their husbands and fiances.

as someone who thinks our country has too many guns, women need to start arming themselves and blasting away at anybody attempting to have unwanted sexual contact with you…..yea, even your husbands. If you are a teen and have a creepy relative or family friend sexually abusing you….get a gun or keep a knife handy when they are around and cut the pecker off. Do whatever you need to not to allow any men to nut in you, EVEN if you are in a serious relationship

I have no problem advocating for violence if this is the road republicans want to go down. put the power into your hands and do what you need to do to protect yourself, ladies.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure."

It doesn't matter whether this is true or not. In this scenario, if this woman lived in Louisiana, she could be facing homicide charges.

I was 30 years old.
I was married.
We were happy.
We were established.
Our 401k runneth over.
We decided to start a family.
I got pregnant right away.
Like right away.
We were over the moon.
I kept a journal of every day of the magic.
I got a bump.
I felt our baby kick.
I embraced it fully.
I rejected tests because "it won't change our path"
Emily sent out baby shower invitations.
The nursery was under way.

And then.

I'm almost halfway there!
I'm 18 and a half weeks pregnant.
The doctor called.
It was 7pm.
I was out at dinner with my friend Deb.
I stepped outside.
The day before on a whim I agreed to a blood test.
"There's probably nothing to worry about but we need you to come in. There's a 1 in 36 chance something is wrong"
I called Liza sobbing.
My sister told me to lay out 36 straws and see that there's still such a good chance that everything is fine.
I didn't sleep.
We drove up to Forsyth because that was the first available amniocentesis.
The needle was long.
The room was dark.
The news was really bad.
I changed in that moment forever.

It's a girl!
We had named her Audrey.
Audrey Roesel -- the girl who will make me a mom.

She was missing her nasal bone.
Her kidneys were tiny.
Her heart was missing a chamber.
She had an extra chromosome.
Part of her brain wasn't formed.
Her head was growing at a rate 4x faster than her limbs.

I want to be a mom.
This is my girl.
This situation could really hurt my body.
She will be in immeasurable pain.
I didn't understand "incompatible with life"
I cried.
I cried some more.
I was already a mom.
Moms keep their children from pain.

Time is ticking.
I'm 19.5 weeks now.
We are in Georgia.
There's a time limit, you know.
It's Labor Day now.
Doctors go on vacation.
Somehow the world around us keeps on.
Not for me.

In the interest of time...
They sent me to an abortion clinic.
Me.
At an abortion clinic.
After 20 weeks, it's illegal, you know.
It's the night before.
I ran a bath.
I said goodbye to my daughter in that tub.
Just the two of us before the world turned upside down.

Did you know...
You have to go 2 days in a row?
1 to dilate
1 for a D&E
It was brutal emotionally.
It hurt physically.
I begged to be put under.

A kind doctor took my hand.
His hands were large and warm.
He told me I would be a mom one day.
He was an angel.
I woke up in a group recovery room.
In a recliner. Next to a young girl. Maybe 13. She was also recovering. I took her hand.
My milk came in.
Nobody told me.
It hurt in my body and my soul.
I grieved. Hard.
For months and months.
I held onto a teddy bear the size of a newborn.
I ached everywhere inside and out.
It was a fluke they said.

Fast forward four months.
Pregnant again.
Scared.
Excited.
First ultrasound.
Baby’s gone.
Go to the hospital for D&C.
This is also considered abortion.
They tested the tissue.
it was a boy!
Chromosomes were normal.
Isn’t that good news?
Grief ensued.
So did genetic testing B and me.

I’m not ashamed.
I never was.
I’m what abortion looks like.
So is the 13 year old girl in that recovery room.

In Texas we’d be criminals. [And Oklahoma as of 4/14/22]

Access to safe abortion is a woman’s right.
And abortion is a decision to be made between a woman, her doctor, her family, and her god.
...Not a majority white male cohort of politicians with a false sense of morality.

And your judgement?
It matters not.

Yea, it’s the dems fault that conservatives have become radicalized over a grifter. That’s the real lesson.
It always is...it always is.
critical-role-head-shake.gif

If one murders a pregnant woman he or she will more than likely be charged with 2 homicides. It's a logical assumption based on this precedent.

So in other words, you have nothing. Got it.
Dude, it's coded into federal law! It's called the Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2004. 38 other states have made it law where there is no federal jurisdiction. Even California has such a law called Laci and Connor's Law for just such an occasion. Can you guess who is Laci and who is Connor? Sorry I don't have the specifics of every time it's happened in the history of the U.S.

Another post of pure fiction on your part.

GOP candidate in MN, running against Omar. Former isu basketball player.

ADVERTISEMENT