ADVERTISEMENT

Love this quote

JerseyCityHawki

HB All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
“Based on his experience from knocking around the Big Ten as a defensive assistant in the 1990s and 2000s, Redbirds coach Brock Spack predicted even if the Hawkeyes’ offense is improved, there won’t necessarily be anything new about it”

Spack quoted the tough-guy title character in the 1971 movie “Billy Jack” to make his point.

“Billy Jack says, ‘You know what, I’m going to put my right foot on the side of your face, and there’s nothing you can do about it,’” Spack said. “That’s Iowa football. They’re going to try to run that outside sprint and inside zone and they’re going to say, ‘There’s nothing you can do about it.’”

Didn't Brian say something to the effect that, "the key to football is being able to run the ball right down their throat, when everybody knows it's coming"?

Whatever it was he said, I loved it. And I love this quote from Spack.

RUN. THE. BALL.

“Based on his experience from knocking around the Big Ten as a defensive assistant in the 1990s and 2000s, Redbirds coach Brock Spack predicted even if the Hawkeyes’ offense is improved, there won’t necessarily be anything new about it”

Spack quoted the tough-guy title character in the 1971 movie “Billy Jack” to make his point.

“Billy Jack says, ‘You know what, I’m going to put my right foot on the side of your face, and there’s nothing you can do about it,’” Spack said. “That’s Iowa football. They’re going to try to run that outside sprint and inside zone and they’re going to say, ‘There’s nothing you can do about it.’”

I wonder what his definition of 'nothing you can do about it' is?

Too soon?

Last edited:
Based on the statistics over the last three seasons, there is a lot the defense can do about it.

Didn’t Iowa average <3 yards per carry last year ?

I did like in the practice videos shared from kids day that there were more counter and toss plays for the running game. That alone should account for better production

It’s when we get to a 3rd & 7 and we throw a 5 yard sideline out pass….if we don’t start utilizing the entire playing field for the pass game we’ll still see similar issues as the past

Reactions: vamchawk
I do expect the offense to look better this season... but lets face it... the offense wasn't all that bad last year.
the offense outperformed 10 out of 14 offenses last season.
that means the offense was better than 70% of opposing offenses a year ago

the Iowa Hawkeye football program understands that winning is the only stat that matters

even Belichick said
"Stats are for losers," Belichick said. "The final score is for winners."
Dec 14, 2009

you all goo gooing for better stats are losers... you just too dumb to know it :)

I do expect the offense to look better this season... but lets face it... the offense wasn't all that bad last year.

the Iowa Hawkeye football program understands that winning is the only stat that matters

even Belichick said
Dec 14, 2009

you all goo gooing for better stats are losers... you just too dumb to know it :)
Yeah we may have won some games, but the ones we lost were an absolute shit show. We were like non con tune up games for them AND stats or no stats, that is not acceptable.

even Belichick said
Dec 14, 2009

Stop. Just stop. You spent all last year trying to defend your boy friend Brian. The offense was a disaster and a joke nationally. It’s been over 10 qtrs since Iowa scored a td and 8 since we’ve scored a point. Thank goodness for our D, Broyles award winning DC and AA punter who led Iowa to 10 Ws.

It’s one thing to have optimism like many of us do with Lester and improving things. But let’s call a spade a spade our offense was absolute dog sh!t last year and stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. Absolutely no one is buying it.

Last edited:

even Belichick said
Dec 14, 2009

Oh Mary just stop this nonsense. Your son will be fine. Just not at Iowa thank god.

Stop. Just stop. You spent all last year trying to defend your boy friend Brian. The offense was a disaster and a joke nationally. It’s been over over 10 qtrs since Iowa scored a td and 8 since we’ve scored a point. Thank goodness for our D and Broyles award winning DC and AA punter who led Iowa to 10 Ws.

It’s one thing to have optimism like many of us do with Lester and improving things. But let’s call a spade a spade our offense was absolute dog sh!t last year and stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. Absolutely no one is buying it.
Dog shit for the last three years, but who's counting... Just win baby!

Season 2 Win GIF by SHOWTIME

oh my god omg GIF

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Did last year's Iowa offense play against the Iowa defense on game days?

Stop. Just stop. You spent all last year trying to defend your boy friend Brian. The offense was a disaster and a joke nationally. It’s been over over 10 qtrs since Iowa scored a td and 8 since we’ve scored a point. Thank goodness for our D and Broyles award winning DC and AA punter who led Iowa to 10 Ws.

I think I will vomit if Iowa has another offensive performance like the last two seasons. Maybe not vomit, but I'm sure I will have one of those burps where a bunch of stuff gets all the way to your throat before stopping myself and pushing it back down. Something like that.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
good quote

and he’s right, Iowa doesn’t change
Iowa had better damn change. Two years in a row as the worst offense in the known universe ain't exactly what Billy Jack was talkin' about. If you can impose your will and dominate, fine. But Iowa has been a total embarrassment. Iowa ain't been no Billy Jack.

It is true Iowa’s offense was terrible last year, but they would have won “only” ten games last year with an average to above average offense. I still like 10 wins.

Didn't Brian say something to the effect that, "the key to football is being able to run the ball right down their throat, when everybody knows it's coming"?

RUN. THE. BALL.
...and that right there is why our offense is the laughing stock of all college football.

Everybody pretends to admire it because it's one less thing they have to worry about.

Kinda like Tom Izzo heaping praise on Todd Lickliter.

...and that right there is why our offense is the laughing stock of all college football.

Everybody pretends to admire it because it's one less thing they have to worry about.

Kinda like Tom Izzo heaping praise on Todd Lickliter.
Not even close to true

This has definitely how we have played under KF.

"We know the defense knows what we are going to run. Try to stop us."

When we've been the Bullies of the B10 it has worked.

But it doesn't work with a crap OL and a QB that the defense doesn't fear.

RUN. THE. BALL.
He said it but unfortunately weve been absolute trash at it the last several years. Hopefully this year is the turnaround.

even Belichick said
Dec 14, 2009

There was nothing I looked forward to more last year than knowing we were going to effectively take a knee for 60 mins.

Based on the statistics over the last three seasons, there is a lot the defense can do about it.
Yep. Absolutely sick of watching Iowa OL trying to block 5 vs. 6/7.

Under BF, opposing DC’s took their vacation time during Iowa week, leaving the game planning to the graduate assistant. Stack the box on very predictable run downs, blitz the immobile QB on obvious pass downs.

I think I will vomit if Iowa has another offensive performance like the last two seasons. Maybe not vomit, but I'm sure I will have one of those burps where a bunch of stuff gets all the way to your throat before stopping myself and pushing it back down. Something like that.
8c8aedf3-bfdf-4a1f-b57e-a0c66cefbcbb_text.gif

Yep. Absolutely sick of watching Iowa OL trying to block 5 vs. 6/7.

Under BF, opposing DC’s took their vacation time during Iowa week, leaving the game planning to the graduate assistant. Stack the box on very predictable run downs, blitz the immobile QB on obvious pass downs.
I always laughed bc our staff maintained how complex our offense was, and it took kids 3-4 years to learn it. Opposing DC's had it pegged by Monday of game week.

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u and eyesofhawk

even Belichick said
Dec 14, 2009

Ts this a joke?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT