ADVERTISEMENT

Loveless had a big day

Originally posted by funnyfletcher

Derrick with a double and a triple today. .467 BA

They have played like 4 games. Good start, but he could be down to .250 in a week. Good kid, hope he succeeds. One of the better defensive outfielders I've seen in Iowa high school baseball.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

During one of the playoff games I loved the throw from RF to 3rd, on a line, to get the runner out by 2 steps (I think it was Carroll Kuemper) the 3B coach was windmilling the kid around 2B, I saw D glove the ball clean and line up, the scout in front of us was like "no way he's throwing" - a few seconds later he is scribbling in his book and shaking his head with "damn" being all he could muster.

So very proud of Derrick - he has worked very hard to get to where he is!

might as well keep it going for good luck. 2 for 4 with a double today. .474 now. Had 2 outfield assists the other day on top of it.

Had 20 hits in his first 132 professional at bats.
has 9 in first 19 this season.

This is why I think kids coming out of high school should go pro if given the opportunity. No way he develops at Iowa as good as he is working with professional coaches.

Originally posted by iowalaker:
might as well keep it going for good luck. 2 for 4 with a double today. .474 now. Had 2 outfield assists the other day on top of it.

This is why I think kids coming out of high school should go pro if given the opportunity. No way he develops at Iowa as good as he is working with professional coaches.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com

I'm in the opposite corner. I'm not sure he would've developed as well under the coaching at Iowa but I feel the extra couple years would've done him good. All apples to oranges now but he is a phenomenal athlete.

Originally posted by iowalaker

A lot depends on the team you land with and their long term plan for a position and specifically you as a prospect.

For some kids it's great and others it can kill their career if they aren't ready to eat, sleep, and play baseball everyday. Loving the game and having it be your job are two different things.

I remember him talking about 3hrs or batting practice with the curve machine, could barely grip the bat by the end...

I don't think Iowa would have helped, they were able to recruit talent but never develop it. I don't see how he would have gotten better with Iowa vs a Pro organization.

ADVERTISEMENT