ADVERTISEMENT

Lowering BA limit to .05

BioHawk

HR Legend
Sep 21, 2005
Evidently there is a movement to not only lower the blood alcohol limit to .05 but restrict the number of places that can sell alcohol, like supermarkets and restaurants.

Really? Prohibition? Or is this some back door way to delegitimize pot legalization because every argument to keep it illegal gets destroyed when you compare it to alcohol. Seriously, I'm betting a BA level like that would mean that some people wouldn't be able to have a single drink. Or, driverless cars will begin sooner.

The National Transportation Safety Board has suggested doing this. The people who want it lowered jumped all over this.

Drunk driving arrests must be down. The fines, court fees, etc, are a huge revenue stream. Lowering the limit means more arrests and greater income.
Otherwise they may have to raise local tax rates.

Can't have that!

We need MORE tax cuts!

When I used to travel a lot for work I was always interested in the local drinking rules.

For instance - did you know in Oklahoma they have to sell beer over a certain alcohol content warm?

And in Kansas - the only day you're not allowed to sell booze is Christmas Day if it happens to fall on a Sunday?

Reactions: BrianNole09
When I used to travel a lot for work I was always interested in the local drinking rules.

For instance - did you know in Oklahoma they have to sell beer over a certain alcohol content warm?

And in Kansas - the only day you're not allowed to sell booze is Christmas Day if it happens to fall on a Sunday?

Was that just the Irish brews?

3.2 beer?

In Kansas, that's all you could get at a grocery store or a gas station. You had to go to a liquor store to get real beer and they closed EARLY.

3.2 beer?

In Kansas, that's all you could get at a grocery store or a gas station. You had to go to a liquor store to get real beer and they closed EARLY.

Not sure the limit, but I don't think it's THAT low (could be wrong). Some breweries won't distribute there because of the rule. Weird place that Oklahoma..... also got served salsa that had been heated up in some Mexican joint. I thought they were messing with me.

You're right about Kansas... they actually sell a different version of some light beers in grocery stores than what you'll find in liquor stores.

It's kind of a pain, but that grocery/gas restriction has created a market for some awesome liquor super stores.

Evidently there is a movement to not only lower the blood alcohol limit to .05 but restrict the number of places that can sell alcohol, like supermarkets and restaurants.

Really? Prohibition? Or is this some back door way to delegitimize pot legalization because every argument to keep it illegal gets destroyed when you compare it to alcohol. Seriously, I'm betting a BA level like that would mean that some people wouldn't be able to have a single drink. Or, driverless cars will begin sooner.

Better make cigs illegal as well then...

Not sure the limit, but I don't think it's THAT low (could be wrong). Some breweries won't distribute there because of the rule. Weird place that Oklahoma..... also got served salsa that had been heated up in some Mexican joint. I thought they were messing with me.

You're right about Kansas... they actually sell a different version of some light beers in grocery stores than what you'll find in liquor stores.

It's kind of a pain, but that grocery/gas restriction has created a market for some awesome liquor super stores.
I've had the warm salsa thing a couple places in Colorado Springs. It's very off putting. When I asked for cold salsa, they looked at me like I was crazy.

Anything below .15 is stupid.

Minnesota limits beer and liquor sales to designated liquor stores so if you’re at the grocery store you’re forced to make two transactions between groceries and beer/liquor under the same roof. Idiotic and makes me glad I no longer live there.

Then buck up and pay for a cab. Or move to civilization with the rest of us.

Yeah, no cabs either. I do live away from civilization. /sigh But, that's where the job is.

On the flip side, you can probably just walk home from wherever you are.

Meh, with uber and lyft now, there is zero excuse to drink and drive. Doesn’t really matter what they lower it to, it was already basically two beers as it is now.

Do you believe somebody who has had two beers is a danger to those on the road with them?

Kentucky still has dry counties. Even wet counties can’t always sell on Sunday.

I've had the warm salsa thing a couple places in Colorado Springs. It's very off putting. When I asked for cold salsa, they looked at me like I was crazy.

Yes! That was also part of the experience. I asked if it was supposed to be this temp and it was like they'd never been asked that quest. Felt like the lamest possible episode of the twilight zone.

Do you believe somebody who has had two beers is a danger to those on the road with them?

Of course not. The joker is being an idiot. Seriously, need to call Uber to run to the liquor stor after a beer or two? Give me a break.

Money grab and forced taxation on vices. The gov is looking for ways to generate revenue to cover their cola. Solution, less government.

Drivers with a CDL have no tolerance already. Pretty soon this will be the norm for all drivers.

Also, in a pitch black night, sitting at the crest of a hill, is a state trooper with no lights on....barely off the highway, you have an incoming car....do you slow down to prevent a 3 way or cruise by without getting in other lane? I had this happen and I floored it. Good way to cause an accident.....or get a ticket I suppose

Ridiculous. I already don't feel comfortable driving after a couple of beers, even living in an area full of drunks. Ugh....

Drivers with a CDL have no tolerance already. Pretty soon this will be the norm for all drivers.

Also, in a pitch black night, sitting at the crest of a hill, is a state trooper with no lights on....barely off the highway, you have an incoming car....do you slow down to prevent a 3 way or cruise by without getting in other lane? I had this happen and I floored it. Good way to cause an accident.....or get a ticket I suppose

Side swipe the son of bitch!!!!!

Reactions: SHAWKER
Or don't ruin my life because I drove home after having two beers. Honestly, anyone who isn't a safe driver at 0.05% probably isn't a safe driver when they're stone cold sober.
I would agree with this. I think the mix of technology and driving is way more dangerous than 2 beers. And that just isn't texting but includes changing the radio stations/media/playlists, messing with the vents or temperature, etc. Anything that takes your eyes off the road. Heck, I think I would be safer after a 6 pack than if I was messing with those things while driving, let alone glancing at texts/emails.

Overreach, but will likely become the norm among the states as no legislator wants to been seen as being soft on drunk driving.
Unfortunately this is probably true. But if they are going to lower the limit to .05 then I would suggest they make anything between .05 and .08, so long as you didn't cause an accident, a simple moving violation comparable to speeding.

ADVERTISEMENT