ADVERTISEMENT

Lugo & Jayden out of WTT?

rider57

Team MVP
Jan 26, 2021
FRL is reporting both are out of World Team Trials.

I'm trying not to overreact because it could very well be an illness (much more likely an illness than both getting injured).

I can not see any other valid reason. Lugo literally has nothing else to train for. Jayden said he came to Iowa to become a world medalist not an NCAA champion. This is the chance to qualify for the pinnacle of the sport of wrestling, you do not miss this. The college season should take a back seat to this event (not to mention they would be back to training folkstyle in October).

Does anyone have any insight?

Could’ve swore I saw Lugo running with the team yesterday on Melrose.

Not sure why anyone is surprised. Iowa hardly sends anyone to these things.

Not sure why anyone is surprised. Iowa hardly sends anyone to these things.
That's kind of why I'm pissed off. 1 guy went to Olympic trials, he didn't win a match. 0 guys are going to WTT's. I don't like it. We may have the best college wrestling team right now, but if we want to remain in contention we better start competing at and doing well in the international competition.

That's kind of why I'm pissed off. 1 guy went to Olympic trials, he didn't win a match. 0 guys are going to WTT's. I don't like it. We may have the best college wrestling team right now, but if we want to remain in contention we better start competing at and doing well in the international competition.
The NCAA’s are more important than the WTT this year. The HWC will be making noise for years to come.

The NCAA’s are more important than the WTT this year. The HWC will be making noise for years to come.
Disagree, the NCAA's are NEVER more important than world's. You only make worlds if you are at WTT. All the talk of HWC making noise for years to come, Lee and Jayden and who? Lugo? Maybe. Cass...Parris and Kerk and Gwizz will be in front him, but maybe he can become the 3rd best in the US down the road, I guess that isn't bad. Bull & Kem? Gonna have to see it to believe it. DeSanto? Where? 57kg...61 (seems small for a 61). I just can't buy the hype right now.

Last edited:
I'm sure there is probably a good reason but why would Lugo even keep training if he's not competing at trials? Seems weird. Maybe he was within a mile of someone exposed to Covid, who knows.

What makes this NCAA more important? Last year i could understand it given the long drought and Covid stolen year, but this one seems the same as any other.

Reactions: rider57
What makes this NCAA more important? Last year i could understand it given the long drought and Covid stolen year, but this one seems the same as any other.
Crab, we have the top team in the country with the top wrestler in the country at any weight going for his 4th title , the possibility of 10 AAs ,6 individual titles and also back to back to back team titles. please explain what is confusing to you?
Correction 7 individual titles.

Reactions: el dub
Crab, we have the top team in the country with the top wrestler in the country at any weight going for his 4th title , the possibility of 10 AAs ,6 individual titles and also back to back to back team titles. please explain what is confusing to you?
So it sounds like you’re saying NCAAs is always more important than worlds? I see nothing in your post that makes this year special, other than Iowa has a good team.

What you missed the possibility part, which one do think does not have a shot at it? Curious
Lee
Desanto
Jaydin
Bull
Kem
Warner
Cass

I get what he means when he says “possibility”

the 7 above can all make the finals. Once you get there, it’s a coin flip, right?

Just so I’m clear, this seasons results are IMO more important for the future of Hawkeye wrestling then any other season of TnT‘s coaching career. So to me the WTTs and this years NCAAs, there is absolutely no comparison what is more important.

So which one does not have a shot? Realistically they all have a shot at a title.
With how loosely you’re using these terms you might as well say anyone in the bracket can possibly or realistically have a shot at the title. But again, realism has to kick in.

Murin, Young, Assad/Brands, and Warner are not going to win the title. Those are my no shots. Now we’re down to six.

Love Cass, but he’s not beating Gable (if he wrestles) or Parris. You can throw in possibly or realistically here but not happening. And we haven’t seen a healthy Kerkvliet yet.

Also love DeSanto and thought he wrestled amazing at last years tournament. But he’s not there talent wise with the best at the weight.

My possibly/realistically is four and will be closer than your seven at the end of the year.

With how loosely you’re using these terms you might as well say anyone in the bracket can possibly or realistically have a shot at the title. But again, realism has to kick in.

Murin, Young, Assad/Brands, and Warner are not going to win the title. Those are my no shots. Now we’re down to six.

Love Cass, but he’s not beating Gable (if he wrestles) or Parris. You can throw in possibly or realistically here but not happening. And we haven’t seen a healthy Kerkvliet yet.

Also love DeSanto and thought he wrestled amazing at last years tournament. But he’s not there talent wise with the best at the weight.

My possibly/realistically is four and will be closer than your seven at the end of the year.
Ok so we almost agree then. Warner needs to have the tournament of his life to win, so of the 7 he is my biggest long shot.

Gable has proven he is on another level, but will not be wrestling is what I’m hearing. Big Cass looks like he really turned the corner physically and he can beat anyone else in the field.

AD basically Is one or two high end takedowns from a title, a really good double leg with the ability to finish fast and clean gets him there.

There we are down to the 4, see we almost agreed.

Disagree, the NCAA's are NEVER more important than world's. You only make worlds if you are at WTT. All the talk of HWC making noise for years to come, Lee and Jayden and who? Lugo? Maybe. Cass...Parris and Kerk and Gwizz will be in front him, but maybe he can become the 3rd best in the US down the road, I guess that isn't bad. Bull & Kem? Gonna have to see it to believe it. DeSanto? Where? 57kg...61 (seems small for a 61). I just can't buy the hype right now.
I understand what your saying and I also thought the HWC was going to be more of a factor on the US teams by now. I also believe TnT have a master plan and right now the top of the list is this season and recruiting the next few classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: rider57

Gotta win back-to-back titles first. Cart before the horse!

Lee
Desanto
Jaydin
Bull
Kem
Warner
Cass

I get what he means when he says “possibility”

the 7 above can all make the finals. Once you get there, it’s a coin flip, right?
I could see any of them but Cass winning it. I love Cass, big fan of Cass. But at HWT it will be Parris drop off Kerk & Cass, another drop from there. I don't see Cass having a shot at beating Parris.

Reactions: vhsalum

I will respectfully disagree with your takes on DeSanto and Warner.

DeSanto has proven he can beat the best at that weight (he has wins of Gross, Suriano, RBY, and Miccic just to name a couple). He had a very close match with Fix. It is realistic for him to win the National title. Likely? No, realistic yes.

Warner, was very close with the returning National Title winner. And still has plenty of upside if he dedicated himself this past off season to developing more than just his wrestling skills. I put him in the same boat as DeSanto. Likely? No, realistic yes.

ADVERTISEMENT