ADVERTISEMENT

Luka Garza named preseason player of the year

Should have been player of the year last year. Hope he plays with a chip on his shoulder and plays bigger and better than last year.

Yes, he should have. Topper is a great player but he wouldn't have had the stats he had (which were inferior to Luka's), if he had played with two Big Ten bigs hanging and banging on him on every play like Luka did.

His stats were not inferior.
Obi's points-per-game & rebounding stats were inferior to Luka's, but there are statistical categories in which he was superior including shooting efficiency as Luka took more shots while hitting a lower percentage to generate his higher scoring average. It's hard to argue though that Obi faced a comparable skill level of opposing post players as did Luka game-in-game-out.

I'm not trying to doubt Garza at all but last year's stats were so incredibly good I just don't know how he repeats that performance.

JW's stats are the ones I want to see skyrocket.

Guards are the key. If they're able to stretch the defense, it only gives Luka more room to operate. I see his PPG dropping some as we add more scoring threats and relieve some of that pressure for him, but I think that translates to a higher scoring efficiency. If he can keep his PPG in the 18-20 range and get his FG% closer to 60, he takes the NPOY hands down.

All that aside, after watching his work out videos I'm most excited to see his defensive improvements. Locking down the paint would go a long way towards this team reaching their potential.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
also not having to play purdue would help.

200.gif

If the team has great success Luka will get rewarded if his stats are close to last year.

If we drop a few close games and wind up 3rd or 4th in the league then I don’t think he’s got a chance. The high preseason expectations for the team add to what he must achieve to get the hardware.

Publications really going out on a limb picking Garza as POY. Love that kinda insight and courage.

Or maybe a blind pig could make the same prediction. Who knows? Just something I heard somewhere. It could be true.

And if Garza isn't POY, it'll be because the voting was rigged and the deep state intervened. It would most likely be the fault of the United State Postal Service, so if you don't win, Luka, refuse to accept the results. That's how we do it in 'Merica.

Reactions: iamia
I'm not trying to doubt Garza at all but last year's stats were so incredibly good I just don't know how he repeats that performance.

JW's stats are the ones I want to see skyrocket.

Yeah, I don't really see Luka sitting on his laurels. You may have heard that he does
Work on his game, in the off season...…………..LIKE no other.

#gohawks

Publications really going out on a limb picking Garza as POY. Love that kinda insight and courage.

Or maybe a blind pig could make the same prediction. Who knows? Just something I heard somewhere. It could be true.

And if Garza isn't POY, it'll be because the voting was rigged and the deep state intervened. It would most likely be the fault of the United State Postal Service, so if you don't win, Luka, refuse to accept the results. That's how we do it in 'Merica.
But, Luka, when you win convincingly by 10pm on election night make sure to come rub it in this clowns face like punishment for peeing inside.

Do you believe Toppin would have produced the same stats if he was in the Big Ten?
I don’t think the committees handing out postseason awards deal with hypotheticals

There’s a strong argument that can be made that Luka should have won. However, Toppin played on the better team and had comparable stats so it’s not like his selection was an egregious one

Watching Jokich of the Nuggets I wonder if Luka can evolve enough to make the.league. Joker is at least two inches taller and has incredible touch and passing skills, but Luka has so

I don’t think the committees handing out postseason awards deal with hypotheticals

There’s a strong argument that can be made that Luka should have won. However, Toppin played on the better team and had comparable stats so it’s not like his selection was an egregious one

Luka Garza won several Player of the Year awards. ESPN, Dick Vitalis, a few others.
Toppin got the popular vote, because of amazing dunks. Obi is a very good player, too.

When two AP voters leave Luka off the First Team All-American Team, it is evident that politics have entered the arena.

Luka Garza won several Player of the Year awards. ESPN, Dick Vitalis, a few others.
Toppin got the popular vote, because of amazing dunks. Obi is a very good player, too.
I assumed the Naismith is what was being discussed. I know Luka won several awards. To say that Obi only won it because of the dunks is severely shortchanging his performance last year though

Do you think the talent in the A10 is equal to the talent in the BIG10?

If Iowa had played the A-10 schedule last year, Luka's stats would likely have gone down. He would have spent a lot of time on the bench while our deep reserves played a ton of mop up minutes at the end of games.

If Iowa had played the A-10 schedule last year, Luka's stats would likely have gone down. He would have spent a lot of time on the bench while our deep reserves played a ton of mop up minutes at the end of games.
So what you’re saying is the talent in the A10 is inferior to that of the BIG10. Hmmmmm interesting!

Should have been player of the year last year. Hope he plays with a chip on his shoulder and plays bigger and better than last year.
But as we seen last year, it wasn't the best player last year but who would be a higher draft pick in the NBA!!!

Reactions: icwesthawk
ADVERTISEMENT