ADVERTISEMENT

Luka Garza Undergoes Surgery

This quote in Hawk Central is a little disconcerting:

Luka Garza is 3 ½ weeks removed from surgery to remove a cyst from his abdomen. Frank Garza told the Register on Tuesday that his son will undergo a medical test in two weeks that will give a clearer indication of how much time he will miss while recuperating. The plan is for Garza, a 6-foot-11 sophomore, to return to the team sometime this winter. The Hawkeyes open the season Nov. 8 vs. Missouri-Kansas City.

“We’re counting on him being back for sure. We just don’t know when,” Frank Garza said. “He wants to be there for the first game. That’s my son, though. That’s his mindset.”

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...pdate-hawkeyes-center-frank-garza/1503939002/

Hopefully he's able to return in November or early December.

Luka Garza is 3 ½ weeks removed from surgery to remove a cyst from his abdomen. Frank Garza told the Register on Tuesday that his son will undergo a medical test in two weeks that will give a clearer indication of how much time he will miss while recuperating. The plan is for Garza, a 6-foot-11 sophomore, to return to the team sometime this winter. The Hawkeyes open the season Nov. 8 vs. Missouri-Kansas City.

“We’re counting on him being back for sure. We just don’t know when,” Frank Garza said. “He wants to be there for the first game. That’s my son, though. That’s his mindset.”

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...pdate-hawkeyes-center-frank-garza/1503939002/

I really hope it's in the first half of November, because these games concern me:

Nov. 15: vs. Oregon (2K Classic)
Nov. 16: vs. Syracuse or UConn (2K Classic)
Nov. 30: vs. Wisconsin
Dec. 3: at MSU
Dec. 6: vs. ISU

Having conference games early really makes these situations challenging. If we had creampuffs through mid-December I wouldn't worry at all, play Cook at the 5 and Nunge at the 4 and see what happens. But Luka's one of our better players, and we're gonna need him. I think he's back sooner rather than later, hopefully not before he's fully ready.

Reactions: perryhawk
Sucks. Hopefully Garza can still take a huge step forward and really improve on a solid freshman year. Love his energy and passion.

Reactions: perryhawk
Damn. This alone deserves it's own thread...

That is something a lot more serious than I thought, initially... Although when we read it was a 10 pounder, that is quite large. The procedure would probably take a lot of invasive surgery. Depending on how and where it spread.

Stay strong Mr Garza! But play it safe... It takes a lot to not overdue it. Especially with his energetic mindset.

Probably means it was a conventional full-size incision and not any kind of scope surgery. Had one of those a few years ago, just from the surgery alone it's probably 6-8 weeks of lifting nothing over 10 lbs, let alone whatever else is going on with the cyst. So he's going to be way out of game shape once cleared to practice again.

Reactions: FanOHawk
Maybe we will get lemonade out of lemons here. Report was Kriener was really playing well. We can hope.
This is what I thought. If Kriener’s doing well, his being better defensively could help the team as they try to improve in that area. The addition of Wieskamp could make the temporary loss of Garza a wash offensively. Then, as Garza does recover, a higher defensive standard is already established and the team gets an offensive turbo boost as he comes into his own again.

This is what I thought. If Kriener’s doing well, his being better defensively could help the team as they try to improve in that area. The addition of Wieskamp could make the temporary loss of Garza a wash offensively. Then, as Garza does recover, a higher defensive standard is already established and the team gets an offensive turbo boost as he comes into his own again.

yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the loss of Garza is not a wash in any way you slice it, this is a big loss make no mistake. He is a fierce competitor and one of the best players on the team. Unfortunate with the big games we have early in the 2K classic and the early B1G games, as I wouldn't expect him back for those based on the vague reports we've received. Hope the kid heals up quickly, tough break for him but hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Pemsl seemed to play okay defense as a frosh two years ago. I wonder if he'll rotate with Kriener at center if Garza is out.

Pemsl seemed to play okay defense as a frosh two years ago. I wonder if he'll rotate with Kriener at center if Garza is out.

I'm thinking Nunge backing up Kriener at center. Nunge is now 235lbs. and Pemsl is down to 230lbs. I'd go with the length in the post to protect the basket, and let Pemsl spell Cook at PF.

Most likely going to depend on matchups. If smaller teams, we can go smaller and use Cook/Pemsl at the 5 with Kriener. I wouldn't be shocked to see us go smaller at times and move Baer or Weiskamp to the 4 with Moss/Dailey/Bohannon in the backcourt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT