ADVERTISEMENT

Lute Olson's time at Iowa was Basketball Camelot

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Hall of Famer who coached nine years at Iowa died Thursday night at 85

How big was Iowa Hawkeyes basketball in Iowa when Lute Olson — who died Thursday at 85 — was the coach?
“I would get calls all the time in the spring and summer from people asking when Iowa’s going to be on TV that winter,” said Mac McCausland, a former Hawkeye basketball player and a longtime television analyst of the sport, including many years doing Iowa games. “Churches, fundraisers — they did not want to schedule something against it.
“People would find a TV in a high school while a play was going on in the gymnasium. A father had a daughter who was in a lead role. He found a TV in the principal’s office. He and the principal watched the Iowa game together instead of the play.”

Hawkeye games, which not long before had typically been held before less-than-capacity crowds in person at the Iowa Field House with no television audience, became a tough ticket and had a statewide TV network carrying the games. It was a ratings smash, as they say.
Thursday nights in January and February were Big Ten nights, and most Iowans spent those evenings watching the same big show that they’d be talking to each other about the next morning.
“Lute woke up the state,” McCausland said.
Before there were the Tigerhawk and the Swarm and Hayden Fry’s football team doing big things in the 1980s at Iowa, there was Lute! Lute! Lute!
Things started to really take off in Olson’s fifth season at the school, 1978-79. His team tied for the Big Ten championship with Purdue and Michigan State, which featured a magical talent named Earvin “Magic” Johnson.

The following season, Iowa barely won its way into an at-large berth in the NCAA tournament and then wouldn’t go away. The Hawkeyes were simply great in four East Regional wins, the last one an 81-80 victory over Georgetown for a Final Four berth. It has remained the most-memorable Iowa game of all-time in the minds of many Hawkeye fans.
The Hawkeyes cut the nets in Philadelphia late that Sunday afternoon. They finished the day by getting cheered by a throng of fans at Cedar Rapids’ airport late that night, and by about 12,000 of them at the Field House around midnight.
While Hawkeye football was still in the middle of a long drought when it came to winning seasons, a virtual unknown basketball coach came to Iowa City from California in 1974 and made it rain.

After four straight losing seasons, coach Dick Schultz resigned and Iowa Athletics Director Bump Elliott hired Olson, who had all of one year as a major-college coach. That was at Long Beach State after Jerry Tarkanian had left there for UNLV. Who was this guy?
A heck of a basketball coach was the answer, as Iowa learned soon enough. His second Iowa club went 19-10. His third, with a freshman guard named Ronnie Lester pulled out of Chicago, was 20-7 overall and 12-6 in the Big Ten.
“Ronnie Lester was probably — no, he was the best guard in the country,” Johnson said in 1985. “He could do it all.”
“Lute Olson and Ronnie Lester marched together,” said McCausland. “Lute wasn’t going to get out-coached or outrecruited. When Ronnie was a high school senior, Lute did not miss a Ronnie Lester game all year.”
Iowans connected with the ever-cool Olson, with the softspoken-but-brilliant Lester, and with the other players Olson assembled. He coached to his players’ strengths and was meticulous when it came to preparation. His teams played like teams.

Hawkeye basketball was Camelot in Iowa for several years. But even the best things can have limited shelf lives. Olson and his wife, Bobbi, gradually tired of the intense focus on them in Iowa.

“It got to the point Lute was the most-recognizable person in the state,” McCausland said. “I think that was without question for five, six, seven years. Everybody tried to see him, get his autograph. He had no privacy. If somebody was over at his house, people wanted to know about it. This was an introverted person, but it was like he was in New York City or Hollywood. He wasn’t just a basketball coach. He was put on a pedestal.”

After the 1982-83 season, Arizona took Olson from Iowa, and Iowa took it hard. An even bigger factor for his departure than the fishbowl lifestyle was his and Bobbi’s desire to return to warmer winter weather. Tucson was their final destination.

Olson soon had Arizona dominating the Pacific-10 Conference for much of a quarter-century. He took the Wildcats to four Final Fours, and won the 1997 national championship.

Olson’s time at Iowa has been remembered with ever-growing fondness and respect over the 37 years since his departure. That Big Ten regular-season title? Iowa men’s basketball hasn’t had one since. That Final Four appearance? The Hawkeyes haven’t gotten a sniff of one in the 21st century.

It would have been sad had the Olson era at Iowa not been fully appreciated while it was happening. But it was. Hawkeye basketball was something people across the state identified with and loved.

It was a golden time, guided by a silver-haired head of state.

Such a different time in college basketball. Before Lutemania struck Iowa, we got ONE B1G Game of the Week on Saturday afternoons and you could literally show up on game night, pay $2.50, and pretty much pick a seat anywhere but the prime bleacher seats. It wasn't just Lute. College sports, basketball in particular, really grew up during that era.

It was a golden time, guided by a silver-haired head of state.

It truly was Hawkeye basketball Camelot, but it was over, even before Lute's meeting with the Arizona AD in KC. The disappointments of '81, '82 and '83 signaled that a ceiling had been reached, as did the bitter recruiting losses, including Isiah Thomas, Terry Cummings, James Blackmon and Russell Cross, as well as the in-demand Californians who thought hard about Iowa, but would not pull the trigger, e.g., Mark Acres, Jay Bilas, and Johnny Rodgers. Steve Carfino-level was the best that Lute could pull from California. The Pac 10 offered a better recruiting platform, warmer weather and no fish bowl. With the kids grown (at least well into college), Iowa was destined for Lute's rear-view mirror.

He was Iowa athletics in the 70's growing up in Iowa City. Football was a joke but he had the Hawks flying and it was great. RIP coach...

Reactions: dean_oliver222
When Lute was our coach beginning in the 70's, he recruited a guard out of Chicago by the name of Ronnie Lester. Ronnie would blossom into a one of a kind player for Iowa. That was the start of a tremendous run of winning games and a trip to the final four. Lute did have some difficulties with the fish bowl life that Iowa City can be for a coach but what he accomplished for the Iowa basketball is undeniable. The program is far better for having Lute Olsen as it's coach for nine years. RIP Coach.

It truly was Hawkeye basketball Camelot, but it was over, even before Lute's meeting with the Arizona AD in KC. The disappointments of '81, '82 and '83 signaled that a ceiling had been reached, as did the bitter recruiting losses, including Isiah Thomas, Terry Cummings, James Blackmon and Russell Cross, as well as the in-demand Californians who thought hard about Iowa, but would not pull the trigger, e.g., Mark Acres, Jay Bilas, and Johnny Rodgers. Steve Carfino-level was the best that Lute could pull from California. The Pac 10 offered a better recruiting platform, warmer weather and no fish bowl. With the kids grown (at least well into college), Iowa was destined for Lute's rear-view mirror.
A lot of truth here. Lute was definitely tired of the fish bowl and interested in warmer weather. It's not clear, though, "that a ceiling had been reached." No doubt it had regarding the Field House and its basketball facilities, but CHA opened during Lute's final season as coach (January 1983). He left before being able to take advantage of it.

A lot of truth here. Lute was definitely tired of the fish bowl and interested in warmer weather. It's not clear, though, "that a ceiling had been reached." No doubt it had regarding the Field House and its basketball facilities, but CHA opened during Lute's final season as coach (January 1983). He left before being able to take advantage of it.

Good point on the arena.

It was really amazing where Lute had Iowa at. Those of us who lived through it at the time as youngsters just thought how it was going to be. Little did I realize it would likely never get better than that.

1978-79 - Iowa ties with Purdue and MSU for the title. MSU wins it with Magic Johnson. Purdue didn't even make the NCAA tournament (yes the tournament was different then).
1979-80 - Iowa goes to the Final 4. Had a great team. Likely win the conference if Lester doesn't get hurt. Purdue and Iowa finish 3-4 in the league, both teams make the Final 4.
1980-81 - Iowa finishes 1 game behind Indiana in second. The infamous Jim Bain game cost Iowa the Big 10 title. Indiana wins the title.
1981-82 - Iowa goes 12-6 in conference, 2nd place to a great Minnesota team.
1982-83 - Another 2nd place finish in the Big 10. Sweet 16 appearance, beat #10 Missouri to go to Sweet 16. Iowa loses to Villanova 55-54.

5-year stretch. 1 conference title, 1 Final 4, another Sweet 16. 3 additional 2nd place conference finishes.

Lute was a special coach, and the Iowa fans knew it. He was also a special personality - good looks, charm, big smile - he was really the whole package.

As good of a coach that he was, and as good a recruiter, he couldn't get the really big fish to come to IC. He gave Hawks fans a taste of the top, but it was hard to really break through with the players he was getting - so the fans got a little frustrated, and I think Lute was VERY frustrated.

That FF run was the most fun I've had as an Iowa sports fan over a period of several games. Friends would gather together for each game, knowing it could be the end, but so elated when the game was over - except of course the L'Ville game. If I could re-write Iowa sports history, my first change would be to keep Ronnie healthy in that game. (My second would be to have the other Ronnie get the flu before the 86 Rose Bowl.)

RIP Lute.

Ege3DMNXcAA6Ek3

Dodger, The "Jim Bain game" was in '82 (at Purdue), not '81. It didn't cost Iowa the title. What cost Iowa the '81 title was losing 2 they were favored to win on the road at MSU and OSU the final wknd.

IU started the wknd a game behind Iowa. IU won at Illinois Thursday night and at MSU Saturday night.

Lute was a great coach at Iowa who achieved much success at Iowa and then went on to have greater success elsewhere not unlike another great former Iowa Basketball coach, Ralph Miller.
Lute , in my opinion was the best coach that Iowa ever had in basketball. What I remember, and I could be wrong, is just how damn angry Lute was, and rightfully so, regarding the Jim Bain foul call. It is my opinion that game started Lute's exit from Iowa. I recall the many Iowa fans who were embarrassed by Lute's display of anger and how they chastised him for it. I don't think that Lute took kindly to any criticism, but he was really upset at the reaction of those fans especially in the fishbowl that he claimed that he worked in.
Other fans would not let him even have dinner out with his wife without feeling entitled to his autograph or getting a picture. And, as Lute was struggling to take Iowa higher some fans wanted more and more even though Iowa was more successful under Lute for a sustained period of time than any other time.
Now, after some 41 years after our last regular season title in the Big Ten we have fans who are hopeful of not just a Big Ten Championship, not just a Sweet Sixteen spot, or not even a Final Four appearance, we have fans that are expecting a National Championship and they will be showing their disappointment as if they were entitled if that doesn't happen. So much for a great working environment.

Reactions: BBHawk
If I recall correctly, in that spring of 1980, the Univ of Iowa also has won Wrestling has won NATIONAL titles from 1978-1986, Hayden had arrived in 77, so things were really on an Upswing in 1980, when Lute, Lute, Lute made the Final Four. And of course, Hawkeye fans, like me, thought this was going to happen every year, or every other year. :D

Also, I also remember that Lute, Lute, Lute LOVED beating Bobby knight. Lute was the exact opposite of Knight...….in other words, not a dickwad. Don't get me wrong, Knight was a great coach. Really great.
But, the way he treated people was less than admirable. #goHawks

Also, I also remember that Lute, Lute, Lute LOVED beating Bobby knight. Lute was the exact opposite of Knight...….in other words, not a dickwad. Don't get me wrong, Knight was a great coach. Really great.
But, the way he treated people was less than admirable. #goHawks

Lute's first encounter with Knight didn't go well. The Hawkeye team traveled to Bloomington and got beat 102-49. If I remember correctly, the Hoosier fans got a free burger or something if the team scored 100 or more so they really poured it on. I think it left an indelible mark on Lute's psyche. We continued to lose to them until 1977, when we finally beat them in the Fieldhouse. The real payback came in 1979 when we beat them here by the score of 90-61. It was over early and I remember seeing Bobby Knight silently sitting in his chair the entire game sulking. I think he realized that in Lute, Iowa had found a coach that could at least compete with him.

Last edited:
Iowa punked Bobby Knight twice in the 1982-83 season. Lute loved that and I recall him bringing
Bobby Hansen to the press conference to point out that over past 2 years, THEEEEEE IOWA HAWKEYES had beaten the hoosiers 3 out of last 4 meetings.

That was also the year, I think, the Bobby had a sprained ankle and bought me a
Beer at the Fieldhouse, too. :cool:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT