ADVERTISEMENT

Luther/Grandview Updates and Results

Let’s not do the typical Iowa fan message board reactions. It’s really okay to take a loss like this as a youngster working his way back into the grind. It’s the exact reason for getting these kind of matches in early. Learn from it... move on.
If that's what he needs, I don't know why we didn't leave the shirt on.

Reactions: elmorescrouts
RE Gavin losing: Of course not expected but not the end of the world. He obviously had some major life issues going on last year and I probably going back to his Sr. year of HS. By all accounts he has done an amazing job getting his personal business taken care of. Yes he has great talent, as do a lot of other wrestlers. What he has not had is opportunity to wrestle college matches. There is more to winning matches than talent and those kinds of things are what get learned by having real matches and then working with the coaches after. I think Rumph was a pretty good HS wrestler, he was at 149 for Wartburg last year so he has got to be a big ass 133 pounder. I think coming into this year with the complete lack of matches that the outlook for Gavin should be to mix it up, work on things and see how it goes. He probably does have AA talent but having the talent and being ready to AA are not the same thing. This loss does not mean he could not be ready to AA later this year. IMO the best thing for him is to get matches and establish where he is at. The Murin injury has me worried more, we just can't seem to start a season without someone we need banged up.

• 1st Place Match - Carter Happel (Iowa) won by fall over Zayren Terukina (Wartburg) (Fall 6:00)

• 1st Place Match - Vincent Turk (Iowa) won by decision over Kyle Rathman (Minnesota State Mankato) (Dec 13-7)

• 1st Place Match - Cash Wilcke (Iowa) won by fall over Josh Edel (Coe) (Fall 1:22)

• 1st Place Match - Keenan Feldpausch (Luther) won by decision over Aaron Costello (Iowa) (Dec 9-5)
I hope Happel or Turk can man 41 til Maximillo gets back to health.

RE Gavin losing: Of course not expected but not the end of the world. He obviously had some major life issues going on last year and I probably going back to his Sr. year of HS. By all accounts he has done an amazing job getting his personal business taken care of. Yes he has great talent, as do a lot of other wrestlers. What he has not had is opportunity to wrestle college matches. There is more to winning matches than talent and those kinds of things are what get learned by having real matches and then working with the coaches after. I think Rumph was a pretty good HS wrestler, he was at 149 for Wartburg last year so he has got to be a big ass 133 pounder. I think coming into this year with the complete lack of matches that the outlook for Gavin should be to mix it up, work on things and see how it goes. He probably does have AA talent but having the talent and being ready to AA are not the same thing. This loss does not mean he could not be ready to AA later this year. IMO the best thing for him is to get matches and establish where he is at. The Murin injury has me worried more, we just can't seem to start a season without someone we need banged up.
This. Well said.

Teasdale wins by injury default in the 3rd place match. Kid from Mankato was about 5 inches taller than him. He was up 8-3 when it ended in the third. Teasdale is very quick but sometimes gets overaggressive and shoots from long distance. He chose neutral every time it was his choice in all matches today. In the semis when he got taken down on a counter shot, the guy rode him out and he wasn’t close to getting out. Both opponents in semis and 3rd place match were long so something he will need to work on. Obviously been a long time since he’s wrestled a meaningful match so I would say give him time, he’s going to be just fine.

I got lost with your pronouns. Who was ahead 8-3?

He beat Matt Lee twice last year

He beat Matt Lee twice last year
Matt Lee was a junior in high school last year (and also not nearly the recruit that his brothers were for that matter). Are you thinking of the right person?

I'm from Indiana, so I'm familiar with Rumph. He's very strong and has excellent reattacks. He wrestled for Leroy Vega at Portage. I always thought he had serious dark horse potential if he had ended up at a D1 school. He didn't start wrestling until 8th or 9th grade.

With that being said, this is not a good result from Teasdale. Rumph didn't even win the tournament. Is the world ending? No, obviously not. Should the talk of him being a finalist/title contender end for now? Definitely yes. I'm extra concerned about the Murin injury. The results from today tell me that Desanto/Murin is a better option that Teasdale/Desanto. Teasdale has a high ceiling, but I don't think he's there right now, probably for many of the reasons other posters have brought up in this thread about his past 2 years.

I've yet to see a post where someone actually said Teasdale beats or even dominates Desanto in practice. There are many who have said including myself about how good Teasdale has looked lately and especially since returning to a mat.
I stated on another post after his match with Glenn I felt he is about 70 percent back and that by B10s if he was 100 percent he would be a force for a title contention.
My observations stated were after going through his struggles that Gavin might of wanted to walk away from wrestling...... and his willingness to still wrestle after tweaking his knee showed me that there is still fire there.

I've yet to see a post where someone actually said Teasdale beats or even dominates Desanto in practice. There are many who have said including myself about how good Teasdale has looked lately and especially since returning to a mat.
I stated on another post after his match with Glenn I felt he is about 70 percent back and that by B10s if he was 100 percent he would be a force for a title contention.
My observations stated were after going through his struggles that Gavin might of wanted to walk away from wrestling...... and his willingness to still wrestle after tweaking his knee showed me that there is still fire there.
It’s in this thread.
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/luther-tournament-entries.292718/page-2#post-7085867

Last edited:
Reactions: NittanyChris
Assad loses 2-0 in the final to Kendrick Jones from Grandview. Jones rode him the entire second period and then Jones escapes in the 3rd and gets the riding time point.

Assad loses 2-0 in the final to Kendrick Jones from Grandview. Jones rode him the entire second period and then Jones escapes in the 3rd and gets the riding time point.

Assad needs to put some quality time in on bottom. He has some very good tools but have to be able to get out.

Reactions: Inthecircle
I heard it straight from an iowa coach so today’s result is a bit shocking

I heard it straight from an iowa coach so today’s result is a bit shocking
I’m not shocked. Sounds like he gave up a takedown and got ridden out. That is the definition of freshmen wrestling. I was glad to see that he went after a takedown at the end of the match. Who cares if you lose 6-3 or 4-3. He will be fine. Get him lots of matches so he can learn to be aggressive while staying in position to defend, and improve on bottom.

Well let’s sort this out. ADS beat Suriano. GT “whips” ADS, Wartburg kid beats GT. Ergo Wartburg kid > National Champ Suriano. Now the kid we need to get is the kid that beat Wartburg kid in the finals. That’s a future Hodge winner.
Rivera beat lee, mueller owned Rivera so mueller had to have whipped...oh never mind, that’s not how it works. Funny point though. I think a lot of people were doubting lee when he lost early on to bresser. And I still think it’s possible that GT gets the best of AD in the room. Hell, I was willing to bet on Gavin if they wrestled off. This is wrestling...even the great Prince of Pennsylvania lost his first year wrestling in college. I’m just excited to watch it unfold. I trust TnT see something there that maybe not everyone on a message board is seeing. Everyone just needs to RELAX. This was a tournament. I think it would’ve looked slightly worse had he been fresh or if it was to an unheralded wrestler at bigs but it’s early and he’s just getting his feet wet.

Reactions: Grip220
Looks like Glazier had himself a solid day. How’s he doing in the room? Granted it was Fresh/Soph division, but he bonused his way to a title.

Reactions: CumberlandHawk
Looks like Glazier had himself a solid day. How’s he doing in the room? Granted it was Fresh/Soph division, but he bonused his way to a title.

He was in the Fr/So division but he did look good. He started as a 126 in HS and the little guy skill has carried through. He is not a full grown 197 yet but his frame looks good, did not look under powered at all.. Nice leg shots and tough on top with turns. I think he could have a nice future.

I’ve said it before in another thread. Glazier has been the hardest worker so far in the freshman class. He is looking good in the room and looks to have improved a bunch. He just started off behind others and may not have it all yet. I think his ideal weight at the moment is 184 but he’s getting bigger and putting more muscle on his frame.

I’m not shocked. Sounds like he gave up a takedown and got ridden out. That is the definition of freshmen wrestling. I was glad to see that he went after a takedown at the end of the match. Who cares if you lose 6-3 or 4-3. He will be fine. Get him lots of matches so he can learn to be aggressive while staying in position to defend, and improve on bottom.

He did take down in the second and escaped, then gave up a counter TD with a little over a minute left in the second and rode out from there. Was in deep for a TD in the 3rd but Rumph grabbed his foot and PD was called. Last TD was in last 5 seconds when GT had to get sloppy trying to score. My take is Rumph is a nice sized 133 and both strong and athletic a guy with skills to make you work and make you pay if you are sloppy. Gavin has the nice outside low leg shots but can get sloppy, needs to fine tune them and work on set ups. Would be good to work on some other offense too, outside single, hc, double , front head offense. As with most young guys bottom work too.

He did take down in the second and escaped, then gave up a counter TD with a little over a minute left in the second and rode out from there. Was in deep for a TD in the 3rd but Rumph grabbed his foot and PD was called. Last TD was in last 5 seconds when GT had to get sloppy trying to score. My take is Rumph is a nice sized 133 and both strong and athletic a guy with skills to make you work and make you pay if you are sloppy. Gavin has the nice outside low leg shots but can get sloppy, needs to fine tune them and work on set ups. Would be good to work on some other offense too, outside single, hc, double , front head offense. As with most young guys bottom work too.
Good summary of the match. Also needs to work on top. Tries to ride but doesn’t work for the fall. Give him some time. Cashman’s mat game looks to be much better than a year ago.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Good summary of the match. Also needs to work on top. Tries to ride but doesn’t work for the fall. Give him some time. Cashman’s mat game looks to be much better than a year ago.

I agree, top needs some work too, he did have some tilts in one of the matches. With his low single shots he often ends up getting his ankles tied up trying to finish.

Yeah but that kid from Wartburg WHIPS on DeSanto too........

And people wonder why folks are hesitant to actually post information they receive from reliable sources. Next time, I will just keep that information to myself. I’ve posted a lot of credible information on this site and simply relayed what an actual Iowa coach told me.

Kindly piss off

ADVERTISEMENT