ADVERTISEMENT

Lynette Woodard, who is now #2 on the All-Time Big School Scoring List: "Thank you Iowa!"

The interview with comments from her compared to anything Sheryl Swoopes says is of sharp contrast. Grateful, understanding, and thankful versus bitter, agenda driven, and uneducated.
Very smart and classy move by Iowa Athletics to invite and embrace Lynette Woodard. Acknowledges the real history of major college Women's basketball and shines a big ole spotlight on one of the greatest of the past as part of establishing the greatest of the present. Whoever thought to invite Lynette (and Maya Moore) to CCs Senior Day is a genius.

Very smart and classy move by Iowa Athletics to invite and embrace Lynette Woodard. Acknowledges the real history of major college Women's basketball and shines a big ole spotlight on one of the greatest of the past as part of establishing the greatest of the present. Whoever thought to invite Lynette (and Maya Moore) to CCs Senior Day is a genius.

It was an absolutely brilliant move by the hawkeye athletic department.

Woodard seems like a real classy lady, and she looks fabulous for being 64.
I would have never guessed she was 64, she looks like she could still play today. I agree, what an awesome idea to invite her and acknowledge and celebrate her accomplishments too. It's super cool that she was so well received and enjoyed herself so much, Good job to all involved and responsible!! Her never ending smile says it all!

Just a reminder...

Lynette Woodard played at Kansas and has the AIAW career WBB scoring record of 3,649 career points. The AIAW was pre-NCAA; the NCAA took over the administration of women's basketball starting with the 1981-82 season (the year after Lynette was done at Kansas). The NCAA, unfortunately, has treated the AIAW, the first era of organized collegiate women's basketball, as if it never happened.

Well, Lynette and her 3,649 points did happen. In 4 years and 139 games played at Kansas, from 1978-1981, Lynette was a 4 time All-American and averaged 26.3 points per game. IMO, she should be considered the #2 all time D1 scorer.

Check this out & Watch (from Feb 7):

Too bad Christine Grant couldn’t have lived long enough to see this season and moment. All of that work of hers for women’s sports and recognition is showing off this year.

I did not realize until this season that Christine Grant helped create the AIAW. And it is so cool that Iowa brought Lynette to Iowa City to celebrate her accomplishments that occurred when women's college basketball was governed by the AIAW.

We all know that the NCAA is extremely hypocritical. Consider this:

* For coaches, AIAW wins and losses are counted in the NCAA record book.

* For women athletes, their AIAW statistics are not counted in the NCAA record book.

I would have never guessed she was 64, she looks like she could still play today. I agree, what an awesome idea to invite her and acknowledge and celebrate her accomplishments too. It's super cool that she was so well received and enjoyed herself so much, Good job to all involved and responsible!! Her never ending smile says it all!

I heard her say in an interview that Iowa fans came up to her where she was dining on that Saturday night. She couldn't believe it and was thrilled that they knew who she was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT