ADVERTISEMENT

M*

edquinn06

HR All-American
Sep 25, 2014
IA-IL-WI
From CPyles:
SDSU Update: Hearing Howe, M*, Clemsen, Becker and Nickerson. Unconfirmed if interest is mutual, but AD will be reaching out to potential candidates soon.

I want the best for M*, but I really hope we don't loose him. I think he has really figured out the recruiting game these past few years and Iowa would take a big step back if he were to leave now.

From CPyles:
SDSU Update: Hearing Howe, M*, Clemsen, Becker and Nickerson. Unconfirmed if interest is mutual, but AD will be reaching out to potential candidates soon.

I want the best for M*, but I really hope we don't loose him. I think he has really figured out the recruiting game these past few years and Iowa would take a big step back if he were to leave now.
Lose. Lose him. Not loose.

From CPyles:

Huge fan of the wrestler m*, and recruiter, not so much coach m*. His grinding style doesn’t win titles and obviously doesn’t help our middle weights develope offense. Marinelli has the tools to get it done - should have been able to develope him further this year.

Huge fan of the wrestler m*, and recruiter, not so much coach m*. His grinding style doesn’t win titles and obviously doesn’t help our middle weights develope offense. Marinelli has the tools to get it done - should have been able to develope him further this year.

Marinelli took 6th as a freshman in the deepest weight class. Lewis and Massa didn't place. Joseph mauled I-Mar in the finals. Marinelli had a big win over Joseph this year.

Kem placed 4th while injured only losing to Nolf who is just on another level than the rest of the field at this point in time.

M* would have placed higher his senior year himself if it weren't for being injured.

I love M* and think he's a huge asset to the program.

I don't get the M* hate. Brands himself has credited M* with landing Marinelli as a recruit.

I understand if you're arguing that there may be some better options as an assistant. Who do you have in mind though? I think Metcalf would be a better asset in the room in terms of technique and wrestling partner, but he wouldn't match M*'s recruiting, committment, to the athletes, and work ethic. Metcalf has been at ISU one year and has contributed to one of their athletes leaving the program.

Metcalf was a hell of an athlete, but I don't see him as being as personable or relatable as a guy like M* is.

I'd say McD could be comparable to M* in terms of recruiting ability and social skills, but he's not a middle weight

Marinelli took 6th as a freshman in the deepest weight class. Lewis and Massa didn't place. Joseph mauled I-Mar in the finals. Marinelli had a big win over Joseph this year.
To add to that The Bull did it with a giant knee brace. We saw what Lee did when he took his off. While I was not as impressed with how Marianelli handled the backside he could well win it all nest year if he is 100%.

From recent reports, sounds like Tom was the one who pulled out all stops to get Kemerer and Lee.

M* is probably fine but we'll be good either way.

That's the role of a HC in recruiting. Don't kid yourself: Morningstar is THE guy on staff who understands how to consistently recruit today's high school athlete. If and when he moves on, replacing him with someone who has that mindset and understanding will be Paramount.

We can debate his coaching ability all day long and there will probably be good points on both sides but the above is absolutely true.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm not sorry for not double checking on a fan forum.
I am so tired of people correcting grammer who freakin cares its a fan forum not a spelling b. Im not using spell check nor do I care to form a perfect paragraph. Im raising a family pay taxes work two FN jobs bust my ass make a good living and dont give a shit if I do not have good grammer.... needed to vent

M* is the best guy on SDSU’s list. They should definitely take him.

I like Ryan, but he’s definitely not irreplaceable. There are lots of guys out there who can do what he does.

Sorry I'm not sorry for not double checking on a fan forum.
I am so tired of people correcting grammer who freakin cares its a fan forum not a spelling b. Im not using spell check nor do I care to form a perfect paragraph. Im raising a family pay taxes work two FN jobs bust my ass make a good living and dont give a shit if I do not have good grammer.... needed to vent

This post needs several commas and apostrophes as well as a semicolon and period. Also, it’s spelling bee.

I have my own opinions but Tom is not going to call me on who his Assistants should be, so I will live with whoever they have and hope for the best.

Reactions: Huck

Kem placed 4th while injured only losing to Nolf who is just on another level than the rest of the field at this point in time.

M* would have placed higher his senior year himself if it weren't for being injured.

I don't get the M* hate. Brands himself has credited M* with landing Marinelli as a recruit.

I understand if you're arguing that there may be some better options as an assistant. Who do you have in mind though? I think Metcalf would be a better asset in the room in terms of technique and wrestling partner, but he wouldn't match M*'s recruiting, committment, to the athletes, and work ethic. Metcalf has been at ISU one year and has contributed to one of their athletes leaving the program.

Metcalf was a hell of an athlete, but I don't see him as being as personable or relatable as a guy like M* is.

I'd say McD could be comparable to M* in terms of recruiting ability and social skills, but he's not a middle weight

One your best posts. I too have never understood the fan apprehension for M* the coach/recruit coordinator. I guess it was his wrestling maybe that fans couldnt keep in its proper place when viewed against his coaching/recruiting.

I know and have talked to a family that was recruited by Iowa and M*. they raved about him and the effort he gave. Said he was very relatable and they valued his honesty above all. While their wrestler didnt choose Iowa, the decision was made very-very hard because of M* efforts.

I have no idea what kind of HC he will be, but it feels like he has the making of a good one.

One your best posts. I too have never understood the fan apprehension for M* the coach/recruit coordinator. I guess it was his wrestling maybe that fans couldnt keep in its proper place when viewed against his coaching/recruiting.

I know and have talked to a family that was recruited by Iowa and M*. they raved about him and the effort he gave. Said he was very relatable and they valued his honesty above all. While their wrestler didnt choose Iowa, the decision was made very-very hard because of M* efforts.

I have no idea what kind of HC he will be, but it feels like he has the making of a good one.

The idea that a coach is limited to teaching only the style they wrestled is nonsense - [exhibit "A", Rob Koll]. I can't believe this BS keeps cropping up here - God it gets old. M* has been a big plus for us.

If M* gets the job, I'd like to see Mark Perry slide in.

Bono before SDSU > M*. Nobody doubts his ability to recruit for Iowa (well maybe a small minority), but he has Brands, HWC and Iowa's history to sell. M* is nowhere near as accomplished a wrestler as most big program wrestling coaches and top kids will not go to SDSU because of M*. His coaching skills are pretty meh. Now, if M* is the #2 guy at SDSU under a Hahn, Kolat or Askren type coach he might be a great choice for SDSU, but I see SDSU program as taking a step back if M* is the head guy.

Bono before SDSU > M*. Nobody doubts his ability to recruit for Iowa (well maybe a small minority), but he has Brands, HWC and Iowa's history to sell. M* is nowhere near as accomplished a wrestler as most big conference wrestling coaches and top kids will not go to SDSU because of M*. His coaching skills are pretty meh. Now, if M* is the #2 guy at SDSU under a Hahn, Kolat or Askren type coach he might be a great choice for SDSU, but I see SDSU program as taking a step back if M* is the head guy.

Bono before SDSU > M*. Nobody doubts his ability to recruit for Iowa (well maybe a small minority), but he has Brands, HWC and Iowa's history to sell. M* is nowhere near as accomplished a wrestler as most big program wrestling coaches and top kids will not go to SDSU because of M*. His coaching skills are pretty meh. Now, if M* is the #2 guy at SDSU under a Hahn, Kolat or Askren type coach he might be a great choice for SDSU, but I see SDSU program as taking a step back if M* is the head guy.

Doesn't always work that way - according to your theory Kevin Jackson should have been a hall of fame coach. Best wrestler does not equal best coach or best recruiter - assistants can handle a lot of the hands on coaching. Besides, M* knows what he's doing.

I like Ryan, but he’s definitely not irreplaceable. There are lots of guys out there who can do what he does.

Just curious, but how exactly do you know what he does or doesn't do and if he's truly any good at those things? I'm guessing about 2% of the posters on this board know how replaceable/irreplaceable he is.

Nobody doubts his ability to recruit for Iowa (well maybe a small minority), but he has...HWC and Iowa's history to sell.

if you get a chance, read "4 Days to Glory", this is how Zelesky recruited, the recruiting landscape has changed and this doesn't sell like it used to, I think that M* has done a very nice job of changing with it and landing some key recruits, losing M* would be a detriment to the program...

I have my own opinions but Tom is not going to call me on who his Assistants should be, so I will live with whoever they have and hope for the best.

Speak for yourself. I anticipate Tom calling me daily. He has my number: 563-867-5309.

This isn’t going to happen unless Perry takes Terry’s position; too big of a pay cut.

It doesn't have to work this way. They could increase the pay for that role and/or he could continue to earn a level of salary from the HWC while being on the coaching staff. If Morningstar does move on it will create a huge recruiting vacuum on the Iowa coaching staff. It would be incredibly disappointing if an established, high quality coach and recruiter like Perry isn't a serious contender for the job. Maybe they can find someone else from the outside to fit that description. McDonough, as much as I like him and his potential, isn't seasoned or proven enough for that role.

Just curious, but how exactly do you know what he does or doesn't do and if he's truly any good at those things? I'm guessing about 2% of the posters on this board know how replaceable/irreplaceable he is.
I never said anything specific about what he does or doesn’t do, or what he’s good at. Maybe you meant to quote someone else.

I do know that there are a ton of other young, energetic, personable coaches in the country that can recruit and develop athletes. I haven’t seen anything from Ryan that makes me think he’s the best assistant coach in the country. If you have please enlighten us.

How could Metcalf match his recruiting when he wasn't even a full time assistant?

He's an easy target for the blowhards because he doesn't have the wrestling accolades of others.

That list is, well not really accurate

I never said anything specific about what he does or doesn’t do, or what he’s good at. Maybe you meant to quote someone else.

I do know that there are a ton of other young, energetic, personable coaches in the country that can recruit and develop athletes. I haven’t seen anything from Ryan that makes me think he’s the best assistant coach in the country. If you have please enlighten us.

You said "I like Ryan, but he’s definitely not irreplaceable. There are lots of guys out there who can do what he does." How do you know he's not irreplaceable? How do you know how much value or impact he has on the program? And if you don't know what he does, how do you know there are a lot of guys out there who can do what he does?

He could be the reason why we haven't challenged for a title in while. Or he could be the reason why we appear to be on the upswing and have some positive momentum.. Or he might not really have much of an impact on either. I don't know, but I'm guessing you and most others on here don't either.

You seem to be up to date with the situation and I also have someone I know really close to the situation.It seems to me that Flo is just throwing out names hoping they stick.

Flo said they will be reaching out to candidates soon. My understanding is that they have already reached out. Unless they mean to set up interviews.

It's "grammar". We're Iowa fans, not barbarians. ;)

You said "I like Ryan, but he’s definitely not irreplaceable. There are lots of guys out there who can do what he does." How do you know he's not irreplaceable? How do you know how much value or impact he has on the program? And if you don't know what he does, how do you know there are a lot of guys out there who can do what he does?

He could be the reason why we haven't challenged for a title in while. Or he could be the reason why we appear to be on the upswing and have some positive momentum.. Or he might not really have much of an impact on either. I don't know, but I'm guessing you and most others on here don't either.

I appreciate the sentiment and as you can see I have advocated for Morningstar's value here, but many people place a very high standard or at least are very literal with using the term "irreplaceable." You might be stuck on that. I consider almost no one to be "irreplaceable."

Reactions: SansSouci2
At the end of the day its a job opportunity M* needs to do whats good for him moving forward if this is his career path. I am sure TNT will have his back either way, if he does leave there are a line of young graduates of Iowa that could fill his shoes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT