ADVERTISEMENT

Maddie!!!

I'm assuming Maddie is a student reporter? My recommendation to her is to make sure she keeps practicing when the camera isn't rolling. Know what you are going to ask ... I used to work in sports journalism and it can be nerve wracking. I remember my voice faltering a few times when interviewing Hayden, Bobby Douglas (wrestling), Gable, Jim Gibbons, Jim Walden, Johnny Orr, Kevin Jackson ... as well as many players along the way... The biggest difference - I wasn't live and I wasn't on camera ... If this is her passion, hopefully she will continue to practice ...

BTW, Rustys Dad, you got me all excited when you referenced "Jim Gibbons"! I was hoping you were speaking of a Hawkeye football player, who played a position then referred to as "End". He was an All-conference, maybe All American level player in the late 1950s... being damn old, it is hard to remember exactly when. He played at about the same time as another All-American "End" named Don Norton, from my home town of Anamosa. (yes, in those days, the Hawkeyes had some fine receivers... another being Karl Noonan!) Evy, whereever you are, and some would argue it is debatable, we still remember!

Last edited:
BTW, Rustys Dad, you got me all excited when you referenced "Jim Gibbons"! I was hoping you were speaking of a Hawkeye football player, who played a position then referred to as "End". He was an All-conference, maybe All American level player in the late 1950s... being damn old, it is hard to remember exactly when. He played at about the same time as another All-American "End" named Don Norton, from my home town of Anamosa. (yes, in those days, the Hawkeyes had some fine receivers... another being Karl Noonan!) Evy, whereever you are, and so would argue it is debatable, we still remember!
I believe Jim Gibbons played on our 1st Rose Bowl team 1956 season and recently paased away a few years back. My Dad introduced him to me when I was 5. I was thrilled to say the least.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
BTW, Rustys Dad, you got me all excited when you referenced "Jim Gibbons"! I was hoping you were speaking of a Hawkeye football player, who played a position then referred to as "End". He was an All-conference, maybe All American level player in the late 1950s... being damn old, it is hard to remember exactly when. He played at about the same time as another All-American "End" named Don Norton, from my home town of Anamosa. (yes, in those days, the Hawkeyes had some fine receivers... another being Karl Noonan!) Evy, whereever you are, and some would argue it is debatable, we still remember!

I loved the Gary Snook to Karl Noonan connections back in the early 60's. IIRC Noonan played on some pretty good Dolphins teams during his NFL career.

She tries hard. When she settles down she'll be dyno-mite.

51dfa27cea97a8e5bd82e538324820712ddb3d112161ad31f2cf9eeef12da4c8.jpg

Reactions: Hawksfor3
We are undefeated when she does the men's games in 2018-2019. Bring her back for a halftime segment every home game.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Ok is she actually a cutey cuz it’s hard to tell from that clip.... or do we just love her cuz she’s a bit rough at her work?

Hmm, every student broadcast team around the Big Ten wants to have a piece of Megan Gustafson while they can.

One thing that's going for Maddie, she's almost as tall as Hannah Stewart. That's makes her 6 ft 2.

Does anyone else (I'll admit I'm crusty old) get annoyed by the fact that announcers can't pronounce Megan's last name correctly? Heck I even noticed Rob Brooks yesterday doesn't do it correctly! The idiot Jim Ecker, who sounds like he's got a mouth full of peanut butter all the time anyway, butchers the hell out of it. She's one of the greatest players in the history of the program, can we perhaps make an effort?

I say this not knowing if Maddie gets it right or not :)

Reactions: Incredible Hawk
She is absolutely terrible. She ought to try reading what she's going to say ahead of time so she knows what she's doing. she almost look like she has a learning disorder something she's that bad.

Reactions: Hawk24
ADVERTISEMENT