ADVERTISEMENT

Maishe Dailey Injury?

hawk_it

HR All-State
Jul 22, 2004
Does anyone remember what Maishe Dailey's injury is? Seems to be lingering.

He should redshirt and transfer. With the guys we have and Weiskamp coming in, he won't get playing time at Iowa.
You never know how your journey or Maishe' s will play out. He may not get the minutes he may like but I guarantee he will get an opportunity under Fran. Whether or not he can turn that into playing time will be mostly up to him and how well he has prepared himself for when that opportunity presents itself. If he wasn't a valued member of this Hawkeye team, I'm pretty sure that would have been conveyed to him or will be at seasons end. I like his skill set from what I've seen so far and when he gets his chance I hope he can excellent and show everyone what he is capable of on the court. Best of luck ME, we're glad to have you.

he will not see action today, either.

i wonder when Pemsl will see action, too.

Iowa Basketball‏Verified account@IowaHoops 17m17 minutes ago
Tonight's starting lineup: Bohannon, Moss, Wagner, Cook, Garza. Pemsl and Dailey inactive again (injury). #Hawkeyes
1f1ee-1f1f9.png

It is increasingly difficult to see Dailey getting significant playing time. This year will be his best opportunity with the other guys coming in to play 2/3. It is up to him and Fran, but if he can't play this year, maybe he should consider transferring.

Reactions: RocknRollface
It is increasingly difficult to see Dailey getting significant playing time. This year will be his best opportunity with the other guys coming in to play 2/3. It is up to him and Fran, but if he can't play this year, maybe he should consider transferring.
I for one would like to see him play this year before making up my mind.

Or if back injuries dictate a red shirt this year, then watching him play next year.

Maishee might very well be 2nd string at the 3 behind Baer...... has the size, he's athletic, he's got an offensive game, and he might be a good defender against other athletic wings with his length.

I agree Perry......Bohannon, Moss, Baer, Cook, Garza, Kreiner & Pemsl (a healthy CP)..the top 7 IMO..

the next group is totally up in the air until fall practice, exhibitions & very early couple of games..

if I'm right about the bigs Cook (Pemsl) Garza (Kreiner)...
then its Point, 2 & 3 that is the question...gut feeling is Fran will find sub minutes for Uhl/Wagner&Nunge...Uhl could have that magical senior season, we all know what we get with Wagner (so does Fran) and Nunge has a tremendous upside. with that I could easily see Dailey pushing time behind Baer..Uhl, Wagner & Nunge could all play some 3...BUT...Dailey may very well surprise & certainly is athletic enough.

I think the PT minutes for Wagner, Uhl, Nunge, Dailey, Ellingson & Williams..will vary especially in the beginning until someone or someones' breakout.

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
Have any of you actually watched Dailey???? He is definitely last guy on the roster for playing time. He will be gone after this season I predict.

Have any of you actually watched Dailey???? He is definitely last guy on the roster for playing time. He will be gone after this season I predict.

yes i have...have you?... everyone has their opinion..doesnt make us correct nor does it you..

...the difference...some of us leave the possibility open & on the table..especially considering fall practice hasn't even started and we also dont know his health situation ...same with Pemsl.

...unlike you//some of us are not prepared to make statements like "definitely last" .."gone after the season"...like you know any more than anyone else.

Reactions: perryhawk and nu2u

yes i have...have you?... everyone has their opinion..doesnt make us correct nor does it you..

...the difference...some of us leave the possibility open & on the table..especially considering fall practice hasn't even started and we also dont know his health situation ...same with Pemsl.

...unlike you//some of us are not prepared to make statements like "definitely last" .."gone after the season"...like you know any more than anyone else.

Exactly.....could he be gone after this year? Sure. Then again, having watched him he clearly has more offensive game than either Wagner or Uhl. Better ball handler than Wagner or Baer and if he has added strength I would hate to see him leave because he has a very high ceiling.

Exactly.....could he be gone after this year? Sure. Then again, having watched him he clearly has more offensive game than either Wagner or Uhl. Better ball handler than Wagner or Baer and if he has added strength I would hate to see him leave because he has a very high ceiling.

yes..much better outside shooter than AW & Dom. so yes its not like he is dead last on the team.

Well said. According to many posters, Brady Ellingson was nothing more than a "DII player" and "wasted scholarship" before last season. Many other players have received the same undeserving and idiotic treatment from fans over the years.

Dailey is competing for a role on this year's team. He obviously has talent. You never know when an opportunity may present itself. Making conclusive judgments at this point is ridiculous.

One thing that will be different this year is that teams will have to double Cook, Kreiner, Pemsl, Garza et al in the post or they will score with great regularity and efficiency. This leaves wing players open or cutters open. Many of Pete's buckets last year were circus shots and he was uncanny at making them. It caught up to him down the stretch and he kind of lost his legs. Teams can't design their defense to stop one guy cause if they do we will make them pay. It is going to be fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawk-i bob
Hooper, I think you're spot on. Ike, JBo and Brady will be wide open a lot more often this year.

The Dailey kid does seem odd man out. With Wagner's move to the 3 it really seems two deep at every position before you get to MD. Uhl will get time ahead of MD also.

A transfer isn't inevitable. Programs need those guys that have to wait t play because of quality upper class players ahead on the roster. Uhl is a senior, the Baer Cage and big AW are juniors. MD should take a redshirt year this season and give himself two years where he's the upperclassman.

I do not really read too much into the PTL if a guy like Nunge averages 30 ppg; I do, however, read a bit into it when a guy averages 13 ppg.

I believe the ENTIRE team outside of Daily tipped past the 20 ppg mark during PTL.

That being written, it does not mean Daily could not be valuable in the future; it just won't be this year, most likely.

Dailey better get on the court pretty quickly. The next couple of months are going to be his best opportunity to earn playing time, barring injury to others. The competition is only going to get tougher at 2/3 after this year. Even if everyone is healthy, I think Dailey has the most to prove, before he will be in the regular rotation. Ellingson and Wagner have definitely contributed a lot more, and Uhl has had stretches where he also made some big plays.

Agree here. Wagner and Uhl have seniority and experience. Offensively, Dailey has more outside-in game and ability to stay in front of people at the 3 position. His big challenge is being more aggressive. That's what keeps him from scoring more than he does. We'll see if he can meet that challenge.

Somebody has to be 10-13 on the team. That doesn't make them bad , but not as good as others on the team. I have seen enough of Uhl thru 3 years and this summer to know he hasn't evolved enough to keep up with the talent we now have on the team. He looked the same as the past in the games I saw in the Europe trip. Dailey has never shown me enough and didn't this summer either. They both should be playing for Maryland Eastern Shore or a school of that caliber. They are numbers 12 and 13 in my opinion and then you have Wagner & Williams fighting it out for 10 and 11 with Williams likely getting more playing time because of our guard shortage at backup point.
The guys Fran will count on are Garza and Kreiner at center, Cook and Pemsl at the 4, Baer and Nunge at the 3, Moss and Ellison at the 2 and Bohannon and Ellison/Williams at the point.
I think when the games matter we will likely end up with a 9 man rotation and unless we have injury or foul trouble Uhl, Dailey will hardly play and Wagner and Williams will play limited rolls. This years pre-season is short as Big 10 games begin in early Dec. In November, with our schedule, everybody should play.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
Somebody has to be 10-13 on the team. That doesn't make them bad , but not as good as others on the team. I have seen enough of Uhl thru 3 years and this summer to know he hasn't evolved enough to keep up with the talent we now have on the team. He looked the same as the past in the games I saw in the Europe trip. Dailey has never shown me enough and didn't this summer either. They both should be playing for Maryland Eastern Shore or a school of that caliber. They are numbers 12 and 13 in my opinion and then you have Wagner & Williams fighting it out for 10 and 11 with Williams likely getting more playing time because of our guard shortage at backup point.
The guys Fran will count on are Garza and Kreiner at center, Cook and Pemsl at the 4, Baer and Nunge at the 3, Moss and Ellison at the 2 and Bohannon and Ellison/Williams at the point.
I think when the games matter we will likely end up with a 9 man rotation and unless we have injury or foul trouble Uhl, Dailey will hardly play and Wagner and Williams will play limited rolls. This years pre-season is short as Big 10 games begin in early Dec. In November, with our schedule, everybody should play.

Generally agree, though true freshman have largely proven to struggle with consistency over the course of a long season, especially in the B1G. With that, I would not overlook Wagner. I realize he still does not have much of an outside shot but his experience, athleticism, rebounding and hustle could be plugged in at the 3 or 4 (mostly the 3). He may get a few more minutes than people think. that is all.

Generally agree, though true freshman have largely proven to struggle with consistency over the course of a long season, especially in the B1G. With that, I would not overlook Wagner. I realize he still does not have much of an outside shot but his experience, athleticism, rebounding and hustle could be plugged in at the 3 or 4 (mostly the 3). He may get a few more minutes than people think. that is all.
Wagner could play more. But if he does, likely underclassmen slumping or underachieving.

Reactions: postville56
I agree with this, and have posted much the same in several past posts. Wagner is our second best energy and defensive player, and the coaches know that.

Fran has always played seniors over under classmen. I'm not very high on Uhl but you're dreaming if you think he'll be towards the end of the bench. He'll get 20 minutes/game.

Last edited:
Uhl will play, but he will have to step up his game from most of last year to get near 20 min/game. Could happen, but I would guess more like 12-14 mpg.

Fran has always played seniors over under classmen. I'm not very high on Uhl but you're dreaming if you think he'll be towards the end of the bench. He'll get 20 minutes/game.

No...Dom will get 7-8 minutes per game..max.

Reactions: hooper56
Uhl will play, but he will have to step up his game from most of last year to get near 20 min/game. Could happen, but I would guess more like 12-14 mpg.

IMO I dont think there will be very many players "average" near 20 min/game. Other than JBO, Cook, Baer ...and possibly Moss...the rest (which includes Dom) will be less than 20.

Of course injuries will impact such.

IMO I dont think there will be very many players "average" near 20 min/game. Other than JBO, Cook, Baer ...and possibly Moss...the rest (which includes Dom) will be less than 20.

Of course injuries will impact such.
Generally agree. When you look at the deep teams Fran has had, 3 guys are generally at the core, getting around 25/gm (Cook, Baer, JB). Do think on this team Moss will need to get close to that as well because we don't have anyone else who can do all he can do on both ends. As for other players' PT, it's really hard to come to terms with the numbers of players we have on this team that can get minutes. Do think Uhl be be one whose average PT will be low, but his minutes will be valuable, because his experience allows Fran to play him anytime in the game. Iowa's depth up front is definitely something few teams can match this year.

Reactions: DanL53
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT