ADVERTISEMENT

Major offensive player considering a transfer

SEC teams habitually oversign. You don't think they'll make room for guys like ISM and Jackson?
Not really. Here is another benefit to being "just Iowa." As much as we know how good our guys are, outside of the Big Ten they are still under the radar.

SEC teams habitually oversign. You don't think they'll make room for guys like ISM and Jackson?

Exactly. Transfer is not an option for every player. It would be for certain players. If they are going to a situation where they can play a lot, I don't blame them one bit. The Big 10 kneecapped them. I would assume they might wait a bit longer to be sure that the destination school is going to play.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
This is bizarre logic. You can't point to a player or compromise your source?

We wouldn't know your source.

Is the source the parent?

I don't get the throwing out a rumor but can't provide details.
I think he pretty much did point to a player. He denied two but never denied ISM. Brandon Smith makes some sense since he is from the south.

They oversign but they still have to be at no more than 85 scholarship players by August 1st each year. There are very few schools that are under 85 especially this year when most schools are only allowing scholarships players to practice before start of classes.

They oversign but they still have to be at no more than 85 scholarship players by August 1st each year. There are very few schools that are under 85 especially this year when most schools are only allowing scholarships players to practice before start of classes.

There were a number of opt out players from those 3 conferences in the last few weeks. I would be surprised if there are only a few spots from those 30+ programs.

So, these transfers are going to be ready to play in about a month? Bull. Nobody is transferring.

It's a lot to ask a player to dedicate another year to school and practice when ISM and Jackson could have been drafted this year.

We may have even seen the last of Linderbaum in an Iowa jersey.
So based on playing one season as a redshirt-freshman, he's going pro? Highly doubt it. Kinda like many people on here we're saying Gholston would leave based on his part-time sophomore performance.

It has to be ISM. That dude could go anywhere any play for about anybody. He is the best weapon we have had in a long time and possibly the best wr we have ever had, at least under Kirk.
Why would he want to wait around for a spring season and risk getting hurt so close to the draft? One small injury could plummet him outside the draft. Let alone missing Minichamps and the NFL season. Spring football would be a brutal ask of these NFL quality players.

Would be risky for anyone, even more so for a WR. It’s a tough position to make an impact quickly...learning the plays/routes especially in a WR read heavy offense. Let alone the rapport with the QB.

There’s a reason not a ton of true freshman or even nfl rookie WRs make a big impact.

This is bizarre logic. You can't point to a player or compromise your source?

We wouldn't know your source.

Is the source the parent?

I don't get the throwing out a rumor but can't provide details.

I understand your frustration, however, the potential transfer is pretty angry and just talking things out right now. Nothing's solid. When I can give more info, I will.

It has to be ISM. That dude could go anywhere any play for about anybody. He is the best weapon we have had in a long time and possibly the best wr we have ever had, at least under Kirk.
Why would he want to wait around for a spring season and risk getting hurt so close to the draft? One small injury could plummet him outside the draft. Let alone missing Minichamps and the NFL season. Spring football would be a brutal ask of these NFL quality players.
This is an excellent point.

Would be risky for anyone, even more so for a WR. It’s a tough position to make an impact quickly...learning the plays/routes especially in a WR read heavy offense. Let alone the rapport with the QB.

There’s a reason not a ton of true freshman or even nfl rookie WRs make a big impact.
This point has been discussed. Nail on the head.

I expect it from ISM, Jackson, Mehki and Smith. Who wants to hope to play in January if they get a shot this fall? They then have the spring to workout and prepare for the combine.

I certainly think we'll see more departures than usual but I think there would be a benefit to getting another year of film for the draft, maybe not. I suppose it'll just depend from guy to guy.

Alaric is the guy I most expect to opt-out, he's already a RS senior and I don't see him playing for Iowa next fall. ISM/Brandon Smith are probably 50/50 at best right now in my opinion - both are True Seniors so it wouldn't totally shock if they came back but I'd also be very surprised if they didn't enter the draft next year. Mehki - I just don't know. I like him, he does a lot of things well, but he doesn't seem to have that extra something that he excels at that would allow him to stand out.

As far as transfers, I think it would be foolish for any player to transfer right now, when there's a significant chance the other conferences eventually follow suit and cancel the season. Opt-outs from any senior wouldn't surprise me at all and I wouldn't blame them. Same for juniors. Linderbaum would shock me, he's only played 1 season at center and I would think he's got a lot of room to move up on draftboards with another season on the books.

This is an excellent point.

ISM might be better off letting his resume speak for itself as is. A sub par season at another school due to leaving a new system, QB, etc. doesn't help his cause and is a pretty likely outcome of transferring. And that assumes anyone plays to begin with.

Focusing on putting up good numbers at whatever the combine / pro day turns out to be is probably his best move.

I understand your frustration, however, the potential transfer is pretty angry and just talking things out right now. Nothing's solid. When I can give more info, I will.

You should not have even posted this until things was more clear.
Trying to be the first with a secret is not responsible as an adult.
yeah this might piss you off but so be it.

These guys aren't going to lose a yr of eligibility if there is no season, are they? Why not just stay, work out, play next year and enter draft in 2022? If they are on track to graduate they could finish school with a year to concentrate on just football.
For Seniors they can't really do that unless the NCAA is going to increase the available scholarship counts for a year, we have incoming recruits for the 2021-22 season.

On the other hand, returning kickoffs is something ISM could do immediately.

I don't understand the thought of transferring now. You have an insanely small period of time to learn the playbook. Why bother?

The only thing I can think is for players who have no interest in playing in the spring and expect SEC, B12, and ACC to play this fall. In other words, sit out this year as a RS and then play for a B12, ACC, SEC school next fall.

The only thing I can think is for players who have no interest in playing in the spring and expect SEC, B12, and ACC to play this fall. In other words, sit out this year as a RS and then play for a B12, ACC, SEC school next fall.
You can do that in the big 10 lol....

You can do that in the big 10 lol....

Not in the same way that players who play in the fall can. This way they can go through a normal offseason in the spring and summer versus the B10 will have a weird offseason schedule if they play in the spring.

Not in the same way that players who play in the fall can. This way they can go through a normal offseason in the spring and summer versus the B10 will have a weird offseason schedule if they play in the spring.
The non b1g teams won't be working out near as much in the spring as the b1g teams would...at least I think they do a lot less in the spring....at least most if it

The non b1g teams won't be working out near as much in the spring as the b1g teams would...at least I think they do a lot less in the spring....at least most if it

Yeah, but it would be different types of workouts. In December, January, and February, guys who transfer to schools that play this fall (assuming that still happens) will be able to focus on strength training, building muscle mass, and filling out their bodies instead of preparing for play immediately in those months. In the spring there'll be normal workouts with limited pads, getting to know playbook, getting reps to get used to role on team. Then summer workouts to focus on speed, agility, and conditioning like a normal offseason before training hard in August to get ready for season.

Spring-ball players will have to spend more time recovering from season before strength training which will be truncated. Then they'll have to turn around quickly without much recovery time to focus on summer agility and speed and conditioning before less-intense august practices. And all of that is for players who don't get seriously injured or dinged up with hamstring, ankle, and other injuries that still require a couple months of laying off training and doing physical therapy. There's also the possibility of needing surgeries and that would be late-spring or early summer which would put playing their fall seasons in jeopardy. There's a lot to consider.

ADVERTISEMENT