ADVERTISEMENT

Majority of Americans say Supreme Court should uphold Roe, Post-ABC poll finds

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A majority of Americans say the Supreme Court should uphold Roe v. Wade, the landmark ruling that established a constitutional right to abortion, a Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted last week finds.

With the Supreme Court poised to overturn the right to abortion, the survey finds that 54 percent of Americans think the 1973 Roe decision should be upheld while 28 percent believe it should be overturned — a roughly 2-to-1 margin.

The Supreme Court is considering a Mississippi law that would ban abortion after 15 weeks. Such a restriction seemed forbidden by Roe and a subsequent decision that said states could not place undue burden on the right to abortion before fetal viability, usually seen as 22 to 24 weeks. The Supreme Court is preparing to overturn Roe in this case, according to a leaked draft of the opinion published Monday by Politico.

[Supreme Court is ready to strike down Roe v. Wade, leaked draft shows]
The Post-ABC poll finds that 57 percent of Americans oppose their state making abortions legal only in the first 15 weeks of pregnancy, while a similar majority, 58 percent, opposes limiting abortion to the first six weeks of pregnancy.

Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Texas and Wyoming have passed new abortion restrictions recently. The Post-ABC poll finds 4 in 10 residents in these states are aware that recent abortion restrictions were passed in their state, but a majority said they were unaware of new restrictions.
Read full Post-ABC poll results

Should the Supreme Court strike down Roe, some states could pass laws restricting or protecting access to abortion. The poll shows that one-third of Americans, 33 percent, say access to abortion in their state should be made easier, while slightly more, 36 percent, say abortion access should be left as is for now. A quarter, 25 percent, say it should be harder to access abortion.
The latest action on abortion legislation across the states

More broadly, the Post-ABC poll finds 58 percent of Americans say abortion should be legal in “most cases” or “all cases,” while 37 percent say it should be illegal in “most cases” or “all cases.”

Public opinion on abortion’s legality has not shifted significantly since 2019, when 60 percent of Americans said it should be legal in all or most cases. Support today is slightly above the average of 55 percent saying it should be legal in all or most cases over 33 national Post-ABC polls dating back to 1995.

A majority of Americans say the Supreme Court should uphold Roe v. Wade, the landmark ruling that established a constitutional right to abortion, a Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted last week finds.

With the Supreme Court poised to overturn the right to abortion, the survey finds that 54 percent of Americans think the 1973 Roe decision should be upheld while 28 percent believe it should be overturned — a roughly 2-to-1 margin.

The Supreme Court is considering a Mississippi law that would ban abortion after 15 weeks. Such a restriction seemed forbidden by Roe and a subsequent decision that said states could not place undue burden on the right to abortion before fetal viability, usually seen as 22 to 24 weeks. The Supreme Court is preparing to overturn Roe in this case, according to a leaked draft of the opinion published Monday by Politico.

The Post-ABC poll finds that 57 percent of Americans oppose their state making abortions legal only in the first 15 weeks of pregnancy, while a similar majority, 58 percent, opposes limiting abortion to the first six weeks of pregnancy.

Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Texas and Wyoming have passed new abortion restrictions recently. The Post-ABC poll finds 4 in 10 residents in these states are aware that recent abortion restrictions were passed in their state, but a majority said they were unaware of new restrictions.

Should the Supreme Court strike down Roe, some states could pass laws restricting or protecting access to abortion. The poll shows that one-third of Americans, 33 percent, say access to abortion in their state should be made easier, while slightly more, 36 percent, say abortion access should be left as is for now. A quarter, 25 percent, say it should be harder to access abortion.

More broadly, the Post-ABC poll finds 58 percent of Americans say abortion should be legal in “most cases” or “all cases,” while 37 percent say it should be illegal in “most cases” or “all cases.”

Public opinion on abortion’s legality has not shifted significantly since 2019, when 60 percent of Americans said it should be legal in all or most cases. Support today is slightly above the average of 55 percent saying it should be legal in all or most cases over 33 national Post-ABC polls dating back to 1995.

Funny. If I pointed out that in that same poll that Americans disapprove of the job Biden is doing by that same 2/1 ratio, your response would be "Those people are stupid".

So, are they smart and correct that Biden sucks and Abortion is good? Or, stupid and wrong because Biden is good and abortion is bad?

Well they all have the information that abortion is now on the ballot in November so we will see what happens then.

Dems have long believed that Roe being overturned would lead them to sweeping victory. I strongly doubt it. We will see however.

I don’t understand why republicans are so against killing off mass amounts of minorities. Over the years it’s been millions of black babies. Why would they be against that?

Funny. If I pointed out that in that same poll that Americans disapprove of the job Biden is doing by that same 2/1 ratio, your response would be "Those people are stupid".

So, are they smart and correct that Biden sucks and Abortion is good? Or, stupid and wrong because Biden is good and abortion is bad?
You made up your own hypothetical response that no one one here replied with, then asked more 3 follow questions to your own hypothetical response. I'm not even mad, I'm just amazed.

Well in two years we get to vote on whether he keeps his job or not. Kind of HUGE difference there, no?

Just when I think you can't get any more obtuse, ya go and prove me wrong . . .

Well they all have the information that abortion is now on the ballot in November so we will see what happens then.

Dems have long believed that Roe being overturned would lead them to sweeping victory. I strongly doubt it. We will see however.
What's going to happen is the court losing in the public eye as it will be seen as just another partisan branch of the gov't.

Reactions: franklinman
I don’t understand why republicans are so against killing off mass amounts of minorities. Over the years it’s been millions of black babies. Why would they be against that?
It is kind of sad that Democrats are the ones that strongly support killing unborn minorities as well as the killing of thousands of young male minorities all across this country.

Reactions: Speedway1
What's going to happen is the court losing in the public eye as it will be seen as just another partisan branch of the gov't.

That already happened. A long time ago

Pretty much any controversial social issue gets decided by the courts, not legislatures.

Forcing women to deliver unwanted babies actually raises the crime rate.

That's a racist hypothesis...

Black women have been experiencing induced abortions at a rate nearly 4 times that of White women for at least 3 decades, and likely much longer.

That's a racist hypothesis...

Black women have been experiencing induced abortions at a rate nearly 4 times that of White women for at least 3 decades, and likely much longer.

I forgot that only black people commit crimes.

It's 2022, not 1922. If the SC goes through with this, it won't be a legitimate participant in our government any longer. It's already bad enough that they move at a snail's pace when the world is moving faster than ever. Nobody is going to go along with an unelected branch of government having so much power to disrupt lives.

Reactions: cigaretteman
It's 2022, not 1922. If the SC goes through with this, it won't be a legitimate participant in our government any longer. It's already bad enough that they move at a snail's pace when the world is moving faster than ever. Nobody is going to go along with an unelected branch of government having so much power to disrupt lives.
So you're saying you favor revolution if the SC goes thru with this?

Majority of Americans believe our southern border should be secured. A majority of Americans don't believe Biden should cancel student debt. Do the libs care, NO. Abortion is killing a human no matter who supports it.

You saying there will be a physical military conflict? What do you really mean, with details.

some will have to drive out of state for a abortion if they want one until the court flips back the other way. That’s the reality.

To be fair, you also strongly doubted that Roe v. Wade would ever be overturned, so...............

You made up your own hypothetical response that no one one here replied with, then asked more 3 follow questions to your own hypothetical response. I'm not even mad, I'm just amazed.
It’s not hypothetical. Every time there’s a thread pointing out Biden’s bad approval ratings, ciggy responds that Americans are stupid. So, it’s obvious the people who are taking this poll are stupid to ciggy. Because they believe Biden is doing a bad job. Which makes me wonder why he’s propping their opinions on other matters up.

Reactions: 24 so far
You saying there will be a physical military conflict? What do you really mean, with details.

some will have to drive out of state for a abortion if they want one until the court flips back the other way. That’s the reality.

It''s cute watching the right drift into conflict, which they're guilty of with our government

I think you'll get passive resistance. 'You have a lunatic writing an opinion that profoundly impacts everybody with two justices appointed by a President that committed treason. The overwhelming majority isn't going to legitimize that ruling.

To be fair, you also strongly doubted that Roe v. Wade would ever be overturned, so...............

I know I was very pessimistic. I'm happy to be wrong on this.

But like I said it's only a step in the right direction. There are a lot of other places where we don't respect life and human dignity as much as we should and the right wing is a major offender in this.

Well, it's not good. If the courts lose public trust the whole system fails.

True. . . maybe then we should start letting legislatures decide these issues.

Most other countries that have things like gay marriage enacted it via legislation or by a referendum. Our courts simply proclaimed it and made it so.

The less political the court the better and more trustworthy it is. And if a court decides all of our social issues it's going to be viewed as a political body. There is simply no escaping that.

Now on that end I do think we need to change our system of government entirely. The system is not designed for modern politics and has been gamed by both parties to their advantages. However it is clearly the right that gains the most national advantage from it as their power in government far exceeds their national vote share.

Last edited:

...and ICYMI, the overturning of a "right to privacy" does entail them coming after:

1. Your Pron
  2. Oral sex (sodomy, whether you are married or not)
  3. Birth Control (whether you are married or not)

All of this is what becomes accessible to the government when a "right to privacy" gets dissolved.

And MAGAs laughed at me when I'd stated, years ago, that "miscarriages" could be criminally prosecuted, because they absolutely can be if anyone arbitrarily "decides" that your miscarriage was actually an abortion, and fertilized eggs have "human rights". 30% or more (and possibly 2x-3x more than that) of "pregnancies" result in miscarriages.

It’s not hypothetical. Every time there’s a thread pointing out Biden’s bad approval ratings, ciggy responds that Americans are stupid. So, it’s obvious the people who are taking this poll are stupid to ciggy. Because they believe Biden is doing a bad job. Which makes me wonder why he’s propping their opinions on other matters up.
Makes you wonder? LOL! The guy (or whatever it is) hasn't had an original thought in his life.

If the poll numbers are accurate, there shouldn't be any fuss at all. All those people simply vote for abortions, one way or another, in the fall.

If the poll numbers are accurate, there shouldn't be any fuss at all. All those people simply vote for abortions, one way or another, in the fall.
'cept for gerrymandering that nullifies their votes.

U continue to forget about that.

It’s an interesting question to ask how this would effect the vote. I am thinking only a small amount?. It’s only one of many issues and the dems are under water on most. Would those other issues matter more or are people one issue voters? Very few, I would guess

ADVERTISEMENT