ADVERTISEMENT

Make the Makeables

iowaflash

HR All-State
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2006
We all know Kirk’s style, and as long as he’s winning like he has been over the past few years, while recruiting continues trending higher, this is not a style that will be changed…..running effectively sets up the pass, play great defense with special teams and field position, don’t turn the ball over, and keep the game close while managing the clock. As long as Kirk’s at the helm, the more wishful dynamic offense will not be showcased. Kirk’s happy to win ugly, and this is who we are. Given this, and given the huge opportunity we have in front of us with so many returning starters, QB1 absolutely must be accountable. Without mentioning names, I believe Kirk’s most desirable theme is “make the makeables”, and he’s said as much already. We have enough QB experience that it’s really pretty simple, if a QB CAN’T make the makeables on a consistent basis, then this player MUST accept a non-starting role. Don’t care if you’re eligibility status is senior, junior, or freshman. If the freshman or junior shows the most ability to make the makeables, then we have our QB1, period. If we can look back at the end of the ‘22 season, and say we had a QB that MADE the makeables, I firmly believe we’ll finally have that special season, culminating in a B10 Championship. GO HAWKS!

Last edited:
i like op's phrase "make the makeables", it does capture the essence of what we need the qb to do. imo, this requirement is less about skill and more about what would fall under intangibles. an additional requirement could be "don't make unforced turnovers."

reminds of a season when stanley missed a gimme (at psu) throw on a perfect setup and also just plain dropped the ball at msu when we were going in for a score. 2 Ws gone on 2 plays that went wrong for no good reason.
edit: the two games couldve beeb from different seasons...they just popped to mind together.

We all know Kirk’s style, and as long as he’s winning like he has been over the past few years, while recruiting continues trending higher, this is not a style that will be changed…..running effectively sets up the pass, play great defense with special teams and field position, don’t turn the ball over, and keep the game close while managing the clock. As long as Kirk’s at the helm, the more wishful dynamic offense will not be showcased. Kirk’s happy to win ugly, and this is who we are. Given this, and given the huge opportunity we have in front of us with so many returning starters, QB1 absolutely must be accountable. Without mentioning names, I believe Kirk’s most desirable theme is “make the makeables”, and he’s said as much already. We have enough QB experience that it’s really pretty simple, if a QB CAN’T make the makeables on a consistent basis, then this player MUST accept a non-starting role. Don’t care if you’re eligibility status is senior, junior, or freshman. If the freshman or junior shows the most ability to make the makeables, then we have our QB1, period. If we look back at the end of the ‘22 season, and can say we had a QB that MADE the makeables, I firmly believe we will finally have that special season, culminating in a B10 Championship. GO HAWKS!
If Petras and Padilla are garbage again, there is zero reason not to give a younger guy some experience and start them. IF the younger ones are actually even worse than we saw last year, then it is totally horseshit we didn't grab any transfer QB!

We shall see, but hard to imagine a 4th or 5th year QB making huge leaps all the sudden. Especially having their new QB coach....

Last edited:
The Hawks managed a pitiful 304 yds per game last year. IN the 6 previous seasons they averaged 359 yds per game, with a high of 386 in 2015 and a low of 325 in 2016.

In 2018, 2019, 2020 - they averaged 370 yds per game. If they had done that last year they would have placed 9th in the B1G.

That's about what I expect the Hawks to do this year. But, of course, hoping for better.

FUN FACT - Looking up those offense numbers I came across this tidbit. Iowa finished #1 in fewest penalty yardage in 2021 with 272 yards, and they also finished first in opponent penalty yards with 527 yards.

Cool. :cool:

Reactions: Ree4
Did Doyle only work with the oline? New guy seems to be doing just fine with the defensive players. So well they steal defensive linemen to help bail out the oline.
Tbh I'd say most would agree that do is the weakest link in our defense.

To say Doyle made no difference is foolish. That dies t mean we can't succeed without him. This year will say a lot about the sc program. The COVID stoppage certainly didn't help developmental programs.

The coaches and the HC have no reason to watch the P & P shit show again. While its possible Spencer could have the magic season it isn't very likely. Spencer is the most likely to make the makeables. Alex couldn't win the job last season and really less likely to make the makeables.

I'm sticking to my prediction; Joe Labas starts by game 3.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
One stat with how poorly Iowa did was even more amazing how they won 10 games. Red zone td % Iowa finished 127 out of 130. Being a team who doesn’t get there a ton need to capitalize at a much higher rate. Question is was it because of poor execution, play calling or something else. That number has to improve drastically next year. Luckily for Iowa in games like Nebraska or Illinois last year shudak was making kicks outside the red zone.

Is the absence of Doyle the reason?
No. We haven't been that for sometime, at least the OL as a whole unit. I'd say if there was a definitive date, it was after the rhabdo incident. I'd also add this. I think just as Urban Meyer coming to OSU and he raised the level of recruiting in the BIG, and I think it also raised the overall level of the conferences recruiting. I think that the way Iowa was known for being physical in the trenches was emulated by many conference schools. Even places like Michigan. I think as a whole the conference may be more physical then it used to be, and has even better athletes. I think RB is doing a good job as head SC coach....

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
One stat with how poorly Iowa did was even more amazing how they won 10 games. Red zone td % Iowa finished 127 out of 130. Being a team who doesn’t get there a ton need to capitalize at a much higher rate. Question is was it because of poor execution, play calling or something else. That number has to improve drastically next year. Luckily for Iowa in games like Nebraska or Illinois last year shudak was making kicks outside the red zone.
Nah, idiots on here pat him on the back and credit him for all fg lol.

Seriously though, I hope our next kicker is another beast or we could be in deep crap!

We haven't been that for sometime, at least the OL as a whole unit.

Had a weird run of linemen spread over 4 years rather than core groups that stay together for 3 or 4 seasons. Optimistic that we have a core of about 6 sophomores (this year) that should keep the line stable or improving for the next two or three seasons.

I think in terms of eligibility we have Myslinski, Richman, Jones, Colby, Davidkov, Elsbury, Stephens, Colby and Volk all in the same class. Only Britt and Plumb are upperclassmen. Britt will get hurt, and probably not recover his starting position. Certainly hopeful that Davidkov takes Plumb's job. But it's a good class and I think we will see better play straight down the line, except center. But the next center doesn't have to be best center in the country just good enough to be an above average or better center.

Reactions: kceasthawk
The coaches and the HC have no reason to watch the P & P shit show again. While its possible Spencer could have the magic season it isn't very likely. Spencer is the most likely to make the makeables. Alex couldn't win the job last season and really less likely to make the makeables.

I'm sticking to my prediction; Joe Labas starts by game 3.
wanna put money on it? the only way he starts is if the two guys ahead of him get injured.

Reactions: Ree4 and RomanHawk
wanna put money on it? the only way he starts is if the two guys ahead of him get injured.

Well normally I'd take that bet but any amount to make it fun would constitute unlawful gambling in Iowa and using a means of interstate communication which would be the second RICO predicate so I'm going to pass.

I could be wrong, although I'm probably not. But you can save that post and have a lot of fun if I'm wrong.

To say Doyle made no difference is foolish. That dies t mean we can't succeed without him. This year will say a lot about the sc program. The COVID stoppage certainly didn't help developmental programs.
What is a "do"? I figured out that "dies t" is supposed to translate to "doesn’t".

🙂

• Haha
Reactions: nbanflfactory
Well normally I'd take that bet but any amount to make it fun would constitute unlawful gambling in Iowa and using a means of interstate communication which would be the second RICO predicate so I'm going to pass.

I could be wrong, although I'm probably not. But you can save that post and have a lot of fun if I'm wrong.
eh, I should have said "wanna bet" because the bet could be the loser having to do something embarassing like wear ISU gear for a day.

Iowa's d line did pretty well last year. Iowa was 13th in rushing and scoring defense, and 17th overall. Why do you consider the dline the weakest link? Teams couldn't really run consistently on Iowa. If anything, Iowa seemed to struggle more with passing teams.

Iowa's d line did pretty well last year. Iowa was 13th in rushing and scoring defense, and 17th overall. Why do you consider the dline the weakest link? Teams couldn't really run consistently on Iowa. If anything, Iowa seemed to struggle more with passing teams.
Um because I think our secondary and lb are better obviously ;)

Reactions: BBHawk
Per many in the know, it takes 3-4 years to comprehend KF’s playbook, so the whole theme of the an Iowa QB keeping it simple or making the easy throws is a mirage.

The Hawks managed a pitiful 304 yds per game last year. IN the 6 previous seasons they averaged 359 yds per game, with a high of 386 in 2015 and a low of 325 in 2016.

In 2018, 2019, 2020 - they averaged 370 yds per game. If they had done that last year they would have placed 9th in the B1G.

That's about what I expect the Hawks to do this year. But, of course, hoping for better.

FUN FACT - Looking up those offense numbers I came across this tidbit. Iowa finished #1 in fewest penalty yardage in 2021 with 272 yards, and they also finished first in opponent penalty yards with 527 yards.

Cool. :cool:
Those numbers capture KFz's approach pretty well. Just be steady, don't try anything too aggressive and wait for your opponent to make a mistake.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
This Need to be the bullies of the B1G again.
Hard to do when guys miss time every single week and we don't have many upperclassmen (Thanks Kallenberger). We didn't have enough healthy olinemen to practice during the bye week.

Compare that to the 2002 Bullies of the Big Ten season when we had 4th year junior Robert Gallery and 4 other 5th year senior starters - none of whom missed any time due to injury, and we had sixth year senior Ben Sobieski (who'd started plenty of games himself over the years) ready to jump in and provide backup. Those guys got their asses kicked week in and week out when they were young. Our 2021 youngsters won the Big Ten West. This bodes well for the future.

We didn't change our philosophy to be a worse offense in 2021. We were young and hurt. Our most veteran receiver Tracy decided to get a case of the dropsies so we had to rely on two true freshmen at receiver. That's not going to be the norm, as the 55 more yards per game the previous seasons the poster above yours mentioned shows.

Reactions: Ree4 and Hawk_4shur
Per many in the know, it takes 3-4 years to comprehend KF’s playbook, so the whole theme of the an Iowa QB keeping it simple or making the easy throws is a mirage.
Presumably the QB’s we recruit from high school level (and have been in our system 2-4 years) have already shown enough ability to be ready to perform minimally satisfactory when called upon to start or come in from the bench. When focused and healthy, there should be no problem for these caliber QB’s to make the makeables consistently. And perhaps surprise us now and and again with making something out of nothing. This is who needs to be playing at QB1, and if not there for one, next best man in for his opportunities…..just saying…..

Hard to do when guys miss time every single week and we don't have many upperclassmen (Thanks Kallenberger). We didn't have enough healthy olinemen to practice during the bye week.

Compare that to the 2002 Bullies of the Big Ten season when we had 4th year junior Robert Gallery and 4 other 5th year senior starters - none of whom missed any time due to injury, and we had sixth year senior Ben Sobieski (who'd started plenty of games himself over the years) ready to jump in and provide backup. Those guys got their asses kicked week in and week out when they were young. Our 2021 youngsters won the Big Ten West. This bodes well for the future.

We didn't change our philosophy to be a worse offense in 2021. We were young and hurt. Our most veteran receiver Tracy decided to get a case of the dropsies so we had to rely on two true freshmen at receiver. That's not going to be the norm, as the 55 more yards per game the previous seasons the poster above yours mentioned shows.
Yup.

In KF's first year the OL was young, undersized and simply got dominated every week. By 2002 - not so much.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Also we all know KF has been (sometimes painfully) loyal to his seniors playing, especially at QB. Whereas I could see some QB’s had earned that loyalty playing time in the past, this is not the situation with SP. He only marginally earned the right to start with the last bowl game. IMO, KF doesn’t owe him anything at this point, especially when Spring Game didn’t show much. So there’s no more “give him enough time”. All SP’s learning curve time is up, and if he’s pulled after the first or second game (assuming he’s named the starter this Fall), then maybe it was meant to be that his niche is with coaching the younger guys. He should have no problem with that role, since we’ve heard time and time again what a great teammate he is….

But that doesn't make the dline weak. If they weren't doing such a good job the linebackers and secondary wouldn't look so good.

😉
Our line wouldn't look as good without the back 7. ;) :D

But yes being the weakest link of a great d does not make them weak :)

ADVERTISEMENT