ADVERTISEMENT

Man Arrested After Trying To Pay Taxes With $1 Bills

THE_DEVIL

HR King
Aug 16, 2005
Hell, Michigan
www.livecoinwatch.com
Wichita Falls, Texas – Last week, a man was arrested while he was attempting to pay his property taxes in $1 bills. According to the police report, 27-year-old Timothy Andrew Norris attempted to pay $600 worth of property taxes in intricately folded one dollar bills.

The tax officials refused the payment because it would make their job more difficult. Norris was then asked to leave by a police officer who was at the office.

When Norris refused to leave until they accepted his payment, the officer immediately grabbed him and put him in handcuffs. When he attempted to pull away from the officer, he was thrown to the ground and placed under arrest for criminal trespass and resisting arrest.

The arrest report stated, “The deputy was at the Annex, 600 Scott Street, just after 2 p.m. when Wichita County Tax Assessor-Collector Tommy Smyth asked Timothy Andrew Norris, 27, to leave the tax office. Smyth accused Norris of disrupting the operation and efficiency of the tax office by attempting to pay $600-worth of property taxes with $1 bills. The bills were said to be folded so tightly it “required tax office personnel approximately six minutes to unfold each bill.”

Norris was released on $500 bail over the weekend.

Similar tax and fine protests have been staged by activists in the past, but rarely is there ever an arrest.

Last year we reported on the case of a blogger named “Bacon Moose”, who paid a $137.00 ticket all in ones.

Each of the one dollar bills were meticulously folded into an origami pig and placed into two Dunkin Donut boxes. That protest was even bolder than this one, and Bacon Moose never reported any penalties, and by all reports the state did accept his payment, but after he unfolded them all.

Tricky one. Obviously paying your tax bill all in ones should be perfectly and absolutely acceptable, no matter how large, even if in the Millions. But folding them in a way that takes minutes to undo without damage? That is a problem. I don't think he should be charged with a crime, he should just be refused, and don't acknowledge that those things are $1 bills, depending on how they are folded it is probably not apparent. You can't completely paint over a bill with magic paint and then require them to wash it off, which I think would be a similar trick.

Tricky one. Obviously paying your tax bill all in ones should be perfectly and absolutely acceptable, no matter how large, even if in the Millions. But folding them in a way that takes minutes to undo without damage? That is a problem. I don't think he should be charged with a crime, he should just be refused, and don't acknowledge that those things are $1 bills, depending on how they are folded it is probably not apparent. You can't completely paint over a bill with magic paint and then require them to wash it off, which I think would be a similar trick.

Completely agree. Is the universe about to explode?

:)

Well, he wasn't arrested for trying to pay in ones. His payment was refused and he protested and refused to leave. That got him arrested.

origami-pigs.png

You acts like an a$$hole, you gets treated like an a$$hole.
Exactly. I'm all for a little protest, but make your point and move on. He deserved to get arrested and I don't have sympathy once he started refusing the orders of the cop. It was a dick move to the employee, and a dick move to anyone standing behind him in line. Once he was refused he should have scooped up the money and returned with a check, or the bills in a presentable form to keep the employee from having to waste everyones time by unfolding them.

like the politicians and feds and county workers and cops don't act like buttheads

only the worker slaves and peasants are a-holes

like the politicians and feds and county workers and cops don't act like buttheads

only the worker slaves and peasants are a-holes
If you would have been standing behind him in line you would have wanted to cave in his head with a baseball bat.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
If you would have been standing behind him in line you would have wanted to cave in his head with a baseball bat.
no I would have been clapping and hugging him and offering him a beer later at the tavern. there's a nice steakhouse in downtown wichita falls, I would buy him a steak

I have not looked at the pic of the dude but I'm guessing he's white since al Sharpton is not there burning down the Wichita falls auto zone

Was this $600 a monthly payment, or is this guy living in a shed comparable to Bubbles in TPB's?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT