ADVERTISEMENT

Man live-streams as derecho rips off his apartment roof

Nah, nothing newsworthy on a national level there.

Actually, there was a mention of it on CBS today. When Zach mentioned it in a post-round interview.

Those videos are effin crazy. The more shit I see from Monday, the more glad I am that I wasn't in CR for this.

And I'm a storm NUT. I friggin love them. But I'm more than happy to have not been present for that monster.

Same here in regards to not being there. If this was normal times, I'd been in the office in downtown CR.

Those videos are effin crazy. The more shit I see from Monday, the more glad I am that I wasn't in CR for this.

And I'm a storm NUT. I friggin love them. But I'm more than happy to have not been present for that monster.

I had to bail into a grocery store, trying to get home from downtown when I heard the sirens going off. Saw some trees go out the window, and a city recycling bin fly across the street, but the 110+ mph winds caused a white out of rain so hard we couldn’t see the biggest stuff go, like the garage blown off its foundation across the street, or the giant pine blown onto a power line, or the stoplights ripped off the pole. Saw a sign miraculously stay up after being tossed around like paper on a twig.

Nah, nothing newsworthy on a national level there.

Actually, there was a mention of it on CBS today. When Zach mentioned it in a post-round interview.

Heard it was on the ABC Nightly News tonight. Wouldn’t know. About to hit a week without power.

It was a legit hurricane.

Y'all get some farked up weather in Iowa.

Category 3 Hurricane level winds on my side of town. 112 confirmed, up to 115 mph estimated.

I had to bail into a grocery store, trying to get home from downtown when I heard the sirens going off. Saw some trees go out the window, and a city recycling bin fly across the street, but the 110+ mph winds caused a white out of rain so hard we couldn’t see the biggest stuff go, like the garage blown off its foundation across the street, or the giant pine blown onto a power line, or the stoplights ripped off the pole. Saw a sign miraculously stay up after being tossed around like paper on a twig.

Heard it was on the ABC Nightly News tonight. Wouldn’t know. About to hit a week without power.

Category 3 Hurricane level winds on my side of town. 112 confirmed, up to 115 mph estimated.

How long did the worst of it go on?

Last night I found out something crazy. I had left town Sunday afternoon and came back Tuesday to check on the damage, then left again and came back Friday morning. Had power and internet when I got back. Last night I was loading up my smoker and the neighbor started talking to me. She informed me that our area got power back at friggin 10AM on Wednesday. That blew my damn mind. Didn’t even go 48 hours without power.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Last night I found out something crazy. I had left town Sunday afternoon and came back Tuesday to check on the damage, then left again and came back Friday morning. Had power and internet when I got back. Last night I was loading up my smoker and the neighbor started talking to me. She informed me that our area got power back at friggin 10AM on Wednesday. That blew my damn mind. Didn’t even go 48 hours without power.

Pic of smoker?

Oh, the neighbor lady, too.

20-30 min this came upon those in its path quick. From Nebraska to Indiana this line of storms created unprecedented damage in its wake over about a 14 hour journey. We had no idea it was this bad, thought normal tstorm warning but when I was watching trees bending to the ground and debris going all over it was anything but.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
20-30 min this came upon those its path quick. From Nebraska to Indiana this line of storms created unprecedented damage in its wake over about a 14 hour journey.

But it was basically a really bad straightline wind storm that blew through and then it was over? I'm trying to understand how long the "hurricane force" winds lasted?

Pic of smoker?

Oh, the neighbor lady, too.
She's like 80, but gives me fresh veggies from her garden. She's good shit.

Smoker is just the standard little Masterbuilt bullet smoker. And as I mentioned in a different thread I accidentally left it out when I left town. And the ****er didn't move a single inch. I've got a new found respect for that ol boy.

But it was basically a really bad straightline wind storm that blew through and then it was over? I'm trying to understand how long the "hurricane force" winds lasted?
Yes, about 30 or so minutes of consistent 75+ mph winds in most spots then standard storm for awhile after the front of it had passed by and it did that much destruction.

With this crap and tornadoes, I'd have those power-operated window shutters that close at the push of a button if I lived in Iowa. Or better yet, a wind speed-triggered system that closes all the shutters automatically when shit gets ugly.

With an actual hurricane, you get some warning and some lead time to get ready. Y'all didn't even know this was coming.

Reactions: Tom Paris
With this crap and tornadoes, I'd have those power-operated window shutters that close at the push of a button if I lived in Iowa. Or better yet, a wind speed-triggered system that closes all the shutters automatically when shit gets ugly.

With an actual hurricane, you get some warning and some lead time to get ready. Y'all didn't even know this was coming.

That's probably overkill. Really you just need to buy property built into the east side of a hill.

That’s a half-mile from my house. All of those apartments got nailed. It’s very sad.
This dude was there the other day giving away free food to folks. He's been giving away free food all week to victims of the storm, and workers. For anyone in CR, check his spot out. Delicious bbq, and a really good dude. He's been pulling his smoker around CR all week.

https://willieraysqshack.com/

This dude was there the other day giving away free food to folks. He's been giving away free food all week to victims of the storm, and workers. For anyone in CR, check his spot out. Delicious bbq, and a really good dude. He's been pulling his smoker around CR all week.

This guy deserves all the good fortune one could possibly receive.

Someone on here yesterday was just spouting off about how it wasn’t that bad and that CR is being dramatic.

I just took a trip over to my brother's house just off West 8th Avenue in Marion, then through the downtown area and over to 6th Avenue where I grew up. As I drove through his neighborhood - which is (I believe anyway) nothing but Skogman homes, ranches and split foyers built probably in the 50's and 60's when the massive expansion of Collins/Rockwell occurred - I realized that I can't see many of the ranch homes because of the amount of cut up trees lining the streets - as well as big ass trees still down in front yards.

Huge trees, roots a good 10+ feet in diameter, toppled over at the base. LOTS of them like that.

I told my brother...I honestly don't think you're going to have power any time soon. If Alliant comes through with their Tuesday at midnight promise, I will be amazed.

Marion Square - that 7th Avenue "main street" downtown - is destroyed. Heavily wooded area in that part of town. 8th Avenue east from Farmers State Bank is still one lane. Couldn't help but notice that no lights on in any of those homes for blocks on end.

This morning I went to the west side near where the videos here were taken. I was amazed (and thankful) Walmart and Menards were open. Lot of people still don't have power in that area, too.

The scale of the damage is what is astonishing about this. No area of the ENTIRE metro was left unscathed.

I keep hearing his ribs are fantastic, but I live on the other side of town and am never over there when it’s open. Saw many posts about his generosity so now I’ll be going out of my way to support his business.

I keep hearing his ribs are fantastic, but I live on the other side of town and am never over there when it’s open. Saw many posts about his generosity so now I’ll be going out of my way to support his business.
The ribs are bomb. I've only been to his place twice, and got ribs both times.....because they were so damn good the first time I tried them.

Edit: He does sell out of the ribs quite a bit. But if you're coming from the opposite side of town, shoot him a facebook message. He'll set aside a rack if he knows you're coming to pick them up.

The wind was very angry on my side of town for about a full hour. If I had to guess, I'd say the 75 to 100+ winds were about 20 straight minutes, about 1240 to 1pm. Then for roughly 30 to 45 minutes after that it'd be a solid 40 or so with gusts up to 75 occasionally.

The video and pics I took began about 1235pm. I didn't venture outside to survey the damage until almost 130pm. It was still fairly windy then but I dashed outside for a quick survey, then ran back in.

Those 20 or so minutes...yeesh.

I went from noon Monday until around 4pm Saturday with no power. We lucked out and didn't suffer a ton of damage to our home. Been a rough month. Was under a 14 day quarantine due to covid that ended on Sunday and then the storm hit Monday. Still feeling pretty lucky overall.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
That same storm took out one son's power in Omaha and another son's power in Indiana. It took a couple days for my son in Indiana to get his power back on.

I just took a trip over to my brother's house just off West 8th Avenue in Marion, then through the downtown area and over to 6th Avenue where I grew up. As I drove through his neighborhood - which is (I believe anyway) nothing but Skogman homes, ranches and split foyers built probably in the 50's and 60's when the massive expansion of Collins/Rockwell occurred - I realized that I can't see many of the ranch homes because of the amount of cut up trees lining the streets - as well as big ass trees still down in front yards.

Huge trees, roots a good 10+ feet in diameter, toppled over at the base. LOTS of them like that.

I told my brother...I honestly don't think you're going to have power any time soon. If Alliant comes through with their Tuesday at midnight promise, I will be amazed.

Marion Square - that 7th Avenue "main street" downtown - is destroyed. Heavily wooded area in that part of town. 8th Avenue east from Farmers State Bank is still one lane. Couldn't help but notice that no lights on in any of those homes for blocks on end.

This morning I went to the west side near where the videos here were taken. I was amazed (and thankful) Walmart and Menards were open. Lot of people still don't have power in that area, too.

The scale of the damage is what is astonishing about this. No area of the ENTIRE metro was left unscathed.

That’s my house/neighborhood exactly. Even down to our ‘60s split foyer Skogman home. Just up hill from 19th Century immigrant homes. I love CR. Sad to see it.

The wind was very angry on my side of town for about a full hour. If I had to guess, I'd say the 75 to 100+ winds were about 20 straight minutes, about 1240 to 1pm. Then for roughly 30 to 45 minutes after that it'd be a solid 40 or so with gusts up to 75 occasionally.

The video and pics I took began about 1235pm. I didn't venture outside to survey the damage until almost 130pm. It was still fairly windy then but I dashed outside for a quick survey, then ran back in.

Those 20 or so minutes...yeesh.

That’s a very accurate, detailed description.

That’s my house/neighborhood exactly. Even down to our ‘60s split foyer Skogman home. Just up hill from 19th Century immigrant homes. I love CR. Sad to see it.

Yep.

The CR metro is sort of 3 layered with Marion and CR. "Old Cedar Rapids and Marion" are the donut holes old school 100+ year old houses centered around the downtown areas. Then the post WWII growth from Collins with Skogman Homes galore surrounding that. Then the 90's and newer massive housing boom monstrocities on the fringes that used to be farmland surrounding the first two layers, which have stretched out past Hiawatha/Robins, northern/NE Marion, south out to CCSD past Kirkwood, and west/SW out to Fairfax.

FYI the lead story on KCRG for the 10PM news was conditions at Westdale Court.

The damage is appalling there...and they've effectively been on their own ever since the storm hit. There's a lot of desperation going on there.

No power, no water, etc...luckily some volunteers drove up and fed a bunch of them this weekend - but those folks living there need help badly.

FYI the lead story on KCRG for the 10PM news was conditions at Westdale Court.

The damage is appalling there...and they've effectively been on their own ever since the storm hit. There's a lot of desperation going on there.

No power, no water, etc...luckily some volunteers drove up and fed a bunch of them this weekend - but those folks living there need help badly.

Good to know. Looks like we’ll head over there tomorrow. We bought a large number of drinks to hand out.

This guy deserves all the good fortune one could possibly receive.

The ribs are bomb. I've only been to his place twice, and got ribs both times.....because they were so damn good the first time I tried them.

Edit: He does sell out of the ribs quite a bit. But if you're coming from the opposite side of town, shoot him a facebook message. He'll set aside a rack if he knows you're coming to pick them up.

Another shoutout needs to go to the outstanding food truck, Carribean Kitchen. The city had a disaster food contractor back-out, and then the second contractor reached out to food trucks for sub-contracting. Jamaican Pat took on half of the 500 requested meals at bargain price, and working through the wee hours, was able to donate another 200 on top of that.

PS- Try their Jamaican Gumbo or Carribean Jerk chicken. You won’t be disappointed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT